Was motherhood always in your plans?

Some people dream of becoming a mother, while others are surprised by motherhood and grow to love it. Did you always want to be a mom? If not, what changed your mind?

1 0

Motherhood wasn't in my plans at all. I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 31 and the man I had been with for 12 years had just left me. It was recommended by my physicians that I never have children. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would never have children. Well, I met a wonderful man when I was 38 and we got a little surprise! It was a textbook pregnancy and delivery despite the high risk! I am blessed!

6
13 9

I always wanted to be a wife and mother with 6 kids. Life didn't work that way. I ended up being a single mom of 2 boys. Having babies stopped when I had cancer and had to have a hysterectomy. The man I am married too now accepted my boys as his own and had never complained that we couldn't have children of our own.

4
15 20

Motherhood was something that I just figured would eventually happen but it wasn't anything I yearned for. As much as I love my kids, I don't have that "Love being a mom" feeling. Being a mom is part of who I am but it doesn't define me.

4
353 0

Growing up I always did, but when I met my Husband we both decided we did not want children and then 10 years later his Brother went to Russia and adopted their first child after trying for 15 yrs. We fell in love and my Husband got the bug first.

The doctors told me I would never be able to get pregnant. Well we got a nice little surprise. I grew to love Motherhood. I cannot imagine life without my sweet Daughter. She truly is a blessing!!

1
7 0

Being a mother was never a plan of mine. Quite the opposite. I never had a ticking clock or felt the need to start a family. So, the twins were a huge surprise. Now, I wouldn't do without them. They are my world and daily motivation. Me and their father are divorced now, but I am so glad I have them.

1
1 10

I never wanted children! Now that I have 2 beautiful daughters I'm okay with motherhood. It's still difficult raising them because their dad and I are divorced and he does not assist with them very much. In spite of the hardships, I love being their mother.

1
12 1

Absolutely! I was young, and in love. He was the one for me to "Have his baby"! lol

1
5 52

In high school when they had us write out our future goals and where we see ourselves in life in 5, 10, and 20 years from that time I wanted a completely different picture than what actually occurred. I wanted to wait until I was married etc and have a larger family then what I grew up with but life and choices changed those plans. I am a single mom of 1 but I am grateful and not regretful since I understand at this point what we plan might not always be the outcome but live out the life given or created through choices and make the best of it.

(sidenote)
Weather it is a plan or not every child has purpose for their existence! Love them, care for them, guide them so when they become an adult they have a strong foundation to follow.

Peace and Blessings 2 u all

1
23 0

Yes I always wanted to be a Mother. I became one at 16. I lived in a house just with my Grandmother and I was always very lonely. She was very old fashioned and I wasn't allowed out to play or I never had a sleep over etc.. I wasn't even allowed have a friend from school call over. Needless to say you can imagine how disgraced and annoyed at me when I became pregnant. Obviously she came around through the months and when the baby was born it was the Happiest I have ever seen her in a long long time! May she Rest -In-Peace.
I wen't on to get married at 20 and had 3 more kids all 3 were boys. I stopped when I was 27. I went for my very 1st smear and I had cancerous cells. I had Many visits to the hospital. They said I was Very lucky that it was at stage 3. They did a coloscopy with lazer and burned away the bad cells. I then had to get smears every 3, 6 then 12months for the last 9 or so years. Now TG I'm completely "All Clear". We're now TTC number 5 now, Please keep us in your prayers! Best wishes! xx

0
15 0

I always wanted to be a Mom! Whenever I was asked what do I want to be when I grow up my answer was "a Mom!" I love being a Mom and wife and could not imagine my life otherwise. : )

0
2 0

I've always loved kids. Had 2 miscarriages in my 20's and a hysterectomy in my 30's. my then husband didn't want kids so adopting was out. I was 45 and had been single for a number of years when i met my current husband. He was a single dad with 2 teenagers at home and 2 older boys nearby, and a 10 month old granddaugher. Thirteen years later, we have 10 grandchildren. Yes, I said 'we'. The grandkids don't see any difference between this step grandma and their bio grandmas. Last year 3 of them, girls 5, 3, and 1, were removed from their parents home and placed with us, due to drugs. We now have permanent custody of the girls, and I'm a first time parent at 58. My mom says it was always god's plan that I didn't have kids of my own because these 3 little girls were going to need me one day. Our live has exploded with pink, there are no more gourmet dinners, we don't eat out much, and the family room has gone amok - and we wouldn't have it any other way, It's hard no doubt, but incredibily rewarding. Our 13 year old granddaugher, the first one, gave me a big hug at Thanksgiving, and whispered 'thank you for saving them' So, no, motherhood wasn't in my plans. But what can you do?

0
3 10

I can honestly say that no being a mom was not always in my plans, but that was because I went to college right after high school, so I wasnt working, no money and definiately no health insurance to even count on for the high cost of child birth, and I wasn't going to be one of the many moms living on Welfare. If I was to pregnant at 19 to 21, I felt that I really don't have a firm enough hold on life, however what changed my mind was in Mid 1992, I Graduated from college, I already had employment with the state, and health insurance was provided. Looking back now almost 20 years now since giving birth to my first of three boys I wouldn't change a thing!

0
173 23

I always wanted to be a mother. I have had reproductive issues since I was 15. I was told by both military (I am a single mother in the service) and civlian doctors for over 20 years that I would never have children. When I was 34 I had decided that motherhood was not in my deck of cards. I met my son's father...and Suprise! I had my miracle baby 3 years ago. I am blessed.

0
6 0

I always wanted to be a mother but when I hit my 40th birthday with no husband or potential husbands in sight, I decided that I would have to do it on my own. I had my twin sons by IVF with an anonymous donor. I love them more than I can say.

I do sometimes regret not having a Daddy for them but luckily I have a great support system with an uncle and four wonderful godfathers for them.

They are almost 3 now and I honestly barely recall my life before them.

0
19 7

I actually never thought about it until I became pregnant at 18....I was extatic from the moment I found out, I still am and my son it almost 38!!! I truly believe that it was God's plan for me, as I had no goals for my adult life...I'm not saying it's for everyone...but for me...a miracle!!!

0
3 2

I have always wanted to be a mother but at the time I got pregnant it was really not planned. I wanted to have kids at the age of 28 and I had one at 23. After I found out I was scared at first and after telling my parents and his parents things fell into place. Now am a proud mummy of a beautiful 5 yr old girl and we still together with her dad. She is everything to me and she knows it too. I thank God for giving me such a beautiful gift.

0
46 6

I had everything planned out. Babies were way down the line in that strategic plan. Then along came a new baby in my husband's family, and after a short vacation to see this new little angel, something just clicked inside my husband and I at the very same time. On our 8 hr drive back home, we decided it was time, and we were ready. But it was not to be so easy. God only knows... several miscarraiges later, I finally carried my first son to term. 13 months later we had our next lil guy. Perhaps because of the worry that I would never be a mom, I think I became a pretty good mother and wouldn't trade it for anything. So although that was never my dream growing up... I even hated babysitting... I absolutely love being a mom!

0
8 9

I was ambivalent about it, but deep down knew I wanted kids. So I married a man who was very clear about wanting them; then I knew I wouldn't get talked out of it or put it off until it never happened. But it does really surprise me how many people I've met who get married without ever discussing whether they want children, then get mad at their partner because he/she wants the opposite. Ditto for religion. Issues like this can supercede romantic love and lead to friction and divorce. Oh - we have 2 sons, love them more than anything! And still married and loving each other after >30 years.

0
27 2

Yes! When I was asked at 13 what I wanted to be when I grow up my answer was always a mom! Now I have a 3 1/2 year old son who is my world :)

0
16 8

Wanted to be a Mum (sorry British) since about the age of 6! Loved babies and smaller children for as long as I can remember!

0
25 16

I always wanted to be a mom, but can remember my girlfriends talking about marriage, and that never interested me. My ex and I had our daughter, and being a mom was the most natural thing to me...and I still love it, although she is grown and on her own. My ex left when our daughter was 9 which actually left me where I likely always wanted to be... with a daughter to raise and no man in the way! I can't imagine my life without my daughter, but I greatly respect people who recognise that being a parent isn't for them and choose not to become parents simply because society expects it.

0
27 12

All my dreams and thoughts were to be married have a large family and live happy ever after. My childhood was a very bad one having been abused by beatings mentally and sexually by my half sister and her husband so i vowed that my children would have a far better upbringing i had the husband 4 beautiful children 2 boys 2 girls my children are my life always have been i made a lot of mistakes along the way my husband turned out to be a womaniser gambler and drank and lost every penny he earned i divorced him 39yrs ago we still remain friends and i have never once told the children about their father they all have a good relationship with him and we have 6 beautiful grandchildren i have a good partner who has 3 children and when we all get together we have a great time, so my dream did come true but not quite the way i wanted it to. X

0
13 0

Since I had a very sweet Mom, I was about 9 years old when I said " I want to be like my mother when I grow up", so in that, it became my plan since I was 9. (^_^)

0
8 16

Motherhood was always in my plan, but for a long time God had other plans. It took five years of surgical procedures, tests, temperature taking and fertility drugs to finally have that dream come true. Our blessings are both grown now and I love our empty nest but I loved raising my children, watching them grow, learn and become the amazing, capable adults they have become.

0
2 16

I always wanted to be a mother and am to my wonderful 6 year old son!! I am a single mom but still would like another one even if I have to do it on my own. I would love for my son to have a brother or sister and not grow up as an only child....

0
3 3

I always wanted to be a wife and mother....even the order in which I wanted to have them...boy, girl, boy, girl....and that is exactly what I got with the exception that I married a widower who had a 2 year old daughter so we ended up with girl, boy, girl, boy, girl!! I loved every bit of being a mom and now we are blessed with 3 granddaughters and 1 grandson!!

0
9 1

By the time I was 14 I knew I wanted a family and children. Perhaps it was from watching too many family shows on TV, where within 30 minutes to an hour all problems were solved! I came from a broken home and was an only child so it was important to me to have more than one. I've been blessed with a wonderful husband, three (now grown) kids and now a beautiful Grandson. I am fulfilled!

0
0 11

I knew in high school that my biggest aspiration and goal was to be a mother. I wanted to be a young mother so that I could have fun with my kids, but I feared that I would have difficulty conceiving. I wanted to be done bearing children by age 26 and wanted a boy and a girl....

At 22, I had my first (with no trouble at all, although I lost my first pregnancy in the 2nd trimester) and my third two months before my 26th birthday. I am blessed with 2 boys and baby girl and couldn't be happier.

The biggest surprise of motherhood is how difficult it is. My mom made it all look too easy. I can only pray that my children can look back and feel the same, although, it's doubtful. :p

0
114 1

It took me several years to decide whether or not I wanted kids. It was more important to the hubby than to me, so we had many long talks; we bought a house, traveled, got a dog, etc before having our daughter just before our 6th anniversary. Our son was born 2-1/2 years later. I have no regrets and now I have grandkids who are lots more fun.

0
1 2

I always wanted to be a Mother.

0
13 9

I always wanted to be a mother.

0