Is it normal for a 9 month old to wake up in the middle of the night for feeding?

At 9 months old, should a baby still be waking up in the middle of the night for feeding? If not, how do you get them to sleep through the night?

13 0

Yep! Totally normal! My first nightweaned when he was 14 months, but still woke once or twice in the night until he was 2. My second is 15 months and was nursing several times in the night until just recently. Now, he's just nursing once in the night, and when I'm at work, he'll just take a little bit of water, then go right back to sleep.

I highly recommend The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. It has great suggestions for facilitating good sleep habits, but also reassures you that it's OKAY for babies/toddlers to need some reassurance in the night sometimes, and that every baby is different! :) The author breastfed and co-slept and bedshared, so her advice works well for an Attachment Parent like myself!

2
109 0

Sounds like 8/9 month regression http://violet-sleepbabysleep.blogspot.com/

1
1 0

absolutely it is, children are growing in their sleep and their brains are working overtime. If a baby needs to eat a baby needs to eat. possibly feed more during the day and see what happens. My son ate constantly and he is a big tall healthy boy and extremely active. Never deprive a baby of food. Follow your gut a mom is right 90% of the time........ probably more than that.

Nutty Mummy

1
7 19

Yes totally normal, my first son slept through the night right from the hospital, so you can guess my surprise when my second son woke up starving every 2 to 3 hours for feedings until he was 11 months old, then he finally started sleeping about 5 to 6 hours a night, and by 2 it was about 8 hours. I did everything right, ate right, kept him up during the day, made sure he had plenty to eat during the day, I even tried formula with rice cereal in it, but nothing helped. He is 8 now and does sleep through the night, in fact he is the first of my 3 kids to sleep each night, but when he does wake up he is still starving and needs to eat right away, I think that is just how his body is built.

I remember how frustrating it was and how exhausted I was, here is wishing you a good nights sleep, best wishes!

1
12 22

Completely normal, my daghter was every 2 hours!

1
3 0

they are growing , my son is almost 2 and he started getting up again for a bottle, they need the nutririon to grow and feel full and sleep,

1
61 33

yes, it's normal.

1
26 0

Yes! Life is becoming very interesting at 9 months. He will be very aware of you and your proximity and might fancy a chat or a cuddle or be bored! (Also all the other things mentioned below). My son used to wake up and talk to himself for about an hour in the middle of the night.

If you're satisfied he's not hungry and well in himself, I would try being incredibly boring at this time of night. No conversation, no lights, no mobiles or toys. If you feel it's important to feed, do this quietly and without being interesting. Leave as soon as the feed is over.

You could try waking him up for a midnight feed (I did this until my babies were well over a year). It sounds bizarre to be waking a baby but I found this actually meant my babies stayed asleep for longer when I was asleep.

1
236 7

Yes, especially if he is learning a new skill or cutting teeth. They go through a lot of up in the night phases. If you are losing sleep, just let him stay in the bed with you after he wakes up and if you are breastfeeding, just nurse him to sleep and you can go back to sleep too.

1
0 19

My son woke up every 2+ hours at night at that age too. Come to find out he was only doing that for comfort. It had become habit to him. I was breastfeeding and had thought maybe he wasnt getting enough to satisfy him but that wasnt the case. If you feel like your baby has had enough troughout the day then I would try cutting those night time feedings one by one. But it is totally up to you. I switched my son to whole milk at 11 months and he now sleeps all night. (it did, however, take him about a week to get used to not eating at night.) Good Luck! :)

1
0 10

My son used to wake up like that and the doc said that I need to try and break his habit before he was able to lift himself up. He's 7 months old now and sleeps through the night. I had to let him cry. If I would go to feed him, he would eat for a couple of minutes then fall asleep. That's when I knew the time was right for me. It's not abnormal for you's to wake, but maybe you could try a different strategy to help YOU. It wont be easy, but you have everything to gain from it! Just when I thought I couldn't handle him crying any longer (only about 10 minutes), he put himself to sleep! He slept ALL NIGHT. I couldn't believe it. It really stinks that that's what works, but it works. He still wakes up at night a couple times a week but he only fusses for a few minutes until he's put himself back to sleep. Good luck to everyone!

1
2 87

My daughter will b one in two days and she still wake up every four hrs for feedings its normal because no two babies r the same so u can't say what is n what ain't normal

1
21 0

Totally normal, just feed bubs and stop worrying :)

0
32 3

Yes, totally normal. Growth spurts will cause it. Their bellies are not meant to go that long without food.

0
7 5

at 9 months i switched my daughter from her pack n' play next to my bed to her crib in her room. she was still wanting a middle of the night feeding every now and then. i finally just stopped doing it because i know for the most part she just wanted me to go and get her (i knew cause she would drink a tiny bit and then go back to sleep in my arms). if your baby is taking a full bottle then maybe she still needs it. every baby is different, you just have to go off what you feel your baby needs.

0
10 0

Yes, completely normal especially that first year. Some people have miracle babies that sleep through the night almost immediately, some don't sleep through the night until they're 2ish. My son did the night time nursing, weaning was so painful for us both. But I weaned one night time feeding at a time - gradually. Because honestly, its sooooo tiring to keep fighting off every feeding, every single night. But I weaned him off middle of the night feedings completely and would only give him water if he woke - this was once I felt he was old enough. After that, he'd wake up and cry out "WATER." He'd have a little sip then go right back to sleep again. I never used a regular cup because I was afraid I'd be so tired I'd spill it so always used a sippy cup. He never slept sucking on it though, only having sips then back to sleep.
Nursing definitely became a comfort thing for him as well, well, I have to say both of us. Depending on how many feedings? I can't remember how many my son had maybe 2 or 3 early on? My son never ever took to a bottle, absolutely refused any type of formula. Quite honestly, I was completely happy with that.

0
1,315 8

Yes, it is. They do it because they're hungry and need to eat (don't you ever get up in the night to get a drink of water?), or because they're sad/scared/lonely and need a cuddle, or because they're getting teeth and their gums hurt, or because they're just not feeling quite the thing. It is in no way a bad habit that needs to be stamped out.

0
10 37

I have been having similar issues with my 8 month old, but she would wake up more like 3-5 times a night. I have recently started to notice a difference because I have switched up our routine a little. I have started feeding her cereal about 30 minutes before bed, then give her a bottle. She generally falls asleep shortly after. I have tried to let her cry if she wakes up within a few hours, and she generally will fall back asleep. I will only give her a bottle after that if its been at least 4 hours since she last had one. It seems to be working. Last night was the first time in a long time that she slept 5 hours before waking up.

0
1 11

my 10 month old still wakes up 2-3 times a night and i nurse him less than 5 minutes each time.. ive tried to pat his back to go back to sleep but he wakes up 5 minutes later each time and wont stay asleep til he eats... i nursed my daughter during the night until she was 16 months.. it is a habit for them but you could try giving them a sippy of water instead

0
5 25

My son is 9 months old and he still wakes up twice a night to eat his Dr told me he shouldn't be waking up and that its just a habbit and that I need to let him lay in there and cry ti put himself back to sleep...its very hard though lol hope this helps!

0
13 0

That's your doctor's OPINION. If it's not right for you, then you don't HAVE to do it. I didn't do cry it out with either of my kids. My first one room-shared with me until he was 2.5, part-time bedshared until he was about 3.5, nursed at night until he was 14 months, and was cuddled to sleep until he was 18 months. He's a GREAT sleeper! My second is 16 months, and still nurses a couple of times in the night when I'm home, but when I'm at work, he doesn't really wake up much at all.