Is it okay to breastfeed if you have nipple piercings?

For the alternative mom, what should she know about breastfeeding and body piercings?

2 24

I took mine out because I had a c-section, and just never got to put them back in. I used a nipple shield because I leaked more milk than my little man could handle at first, but around 5 or 6 months he got used to the milk flow and didn't need it anymore.

Check out some of the moms from Offbeatmama.com

I asked them the same question last year, and they really helped me out :)

2
34 33

Yes indeed. I have both pierced & just took the bars out whilst breastfeeding. I 'leaked' more due to the piercings but it didn't get in the way of feeding x

2
1 0

Yes it is just fine to breastfeed after having your nipples pierced (i had mine pierced for 10 years). I have breastfed 2 children without any problems. I took the piercings out when I was midway through my first pregnancy.

1
7 12

I have both pierced and had no problem breastfeeding my kids. I took them out to avoid choking, and you with definitely need to use leak pads (my left leaked a lot more than my right for some reason)

1
2 20

I've had both mine pierced and removed them during pregnancy. There is a high risk of tearing while nursing due to the baby nursing. If you tear, you can get an infection which would be extremely painful and the infection could be passed to the baby. Also, whether you have barbells or captive beads, the ball can become loose and the baby can swollow it which the babys body could have a bad reaction to if not choke on it. If you want to keep your piercings, I would just use retainers rather then any metals and be sure to remove them while nursing. Otherwise just repierce them when your done completely nursing.

1
9 16

I had my left nipple pierced and had to take it out when I was pregnant for my son because i was already lactating from the nipple, but I breastfed and he preferred my left breast, and it always gave him more milk due to having more flow with three holes, just make sure you let them air dry as often as possible because you will have a higher chance of thrush (yeast infection) your baby will probably be nice and chunky if you do breastfeed though, my son was 27 lbs at 3 months old because I had so much milk due to him getting more milk this way....this is my experience anyway! It just sprayed everywhere with my perviously pierced nipple when my son was hungry, your body tends to just know, you'll learn that as well :) good luck, I hopr iy works out well for you!!

1
0 0

I just took mine out for feedings. Keep them clean, keep them dry, and you should be just fine.

0
8 0

I had mine pierced and asked my OB. She said its fine to keep them but to take them out for feedings. I ended up having to take mine out halfway through my pregnancy because of how big my BB's got haven't bothered to try putting them back in because it'd be such a pain to keeping having to take them out and put them back in.

0
0 0

0
4 2

Not sure. You prob would have to take it out.wont your midwife know ?

0
24 0

I would take it out at feeding time, if not until you are done breast feeding, just to be sure it does not come out in the baby's mouth. Breastfeeding babies have a very strong suck and you don't want it to tear!!!

0
14 9

Word of advice make sure you take out your piercing before breastfeeding. The ball could become loose and chock your baby. Also if you don't take it out, it could cause latching problems.
I took my piercing out completely while breast feeding DS1, it can become really painfull and having to re-insterted it after each feed, the ring or the bar can scratch the inside of your nipple and make it more painfull then it already is. Other then that you will be fine, you shouldn't have a problem. Milk flow will be quicker on your pierced side.

0