Is it okay for a half-sister and a half-brother to share their birthday party together?

If two siblings have birthdays very close together, do you think they can share a birthday party? Why or why not?

1 0

Just a thought, ask them. We can all give an answer but it's their answer that really counts. Happy Birthday to your son and daughter.

10
0 14

What difference does the half/brother/sister thing have to do with it. All of my siblings are "half" but we never even thought of it that way. They are just my brothers and sisters. And three of our kids are adopted, but they are all just brothers and sisters. Don't get hung up on the "half" thing.

7
10 18

Everyone is special and should have their own special celebration.

5
3 5

My birthday was one day before my brothers. We always shared parties as both children and adults. As a teenager, I somewhat resented not being able to have my own party. As a child I didn't mind it and as an adult I love it. Hope that helps.

4
35 1

Have you asked them? It's their choice. Not some random answers on a message board. If they are old enough to care or object, they are old enough to make the decision.

Chris

3
46 9

Like everything else, know your kids. Some need the individual attention; others favor a family event. My girls birthdays are two weeks apart and that's far enough that I would never have thought of combining, particularly since they're six years apart in age, but somewhere along the way one of them suggested having a party together and it turned out they both liked it that way. We still do a special dinner, cake and a present or two on each one's actual birthday, though.

3
7 0

Birthdays vary from family to family. If other children in the family have individual celebrations, the two with close birthdays should have that option as well. Then again, if financially the family can't do two parties, a party is probably better than none. The kid's feelings, the family dynamics, etc should be considered--there is no right or wrong answer here.

2
5 3

I think its so strange when people emphasize the "half" thing. I am the eldest of eight children, some "half" and some "step". I don't share both parents with any siblings. I have never called them anything but my brothers and sisters. That includes my step siblings, although I can understand how that could be different in some cases.

So, I think the real question is can siblings share a birthday party, and my answer is yes. When they are small, no question. When they're a little older, they have to choose between having a smaller personal party that is focused on them, and having a higher budget, better shared party.

1
22 69

Absolutely! My 13 yr old son and 10 yr old daughter are sharing a party this year. They both want to go to an arcade type place and the minimum # of guests is 12. They each get to invite 6 or 7 if they can't narrow it down.

1
17 5

Yes, it's fine for them to share a party. You are the parent, you make the decision. Don't ask them if their "feelings" will be hurt. If your budget is tight, or extended family would prefer, or whatever your reason, it is ok to make that decision. They are both your kids, and you love them both, giving them separate parties will not change any of that and may actually stress you out more: extra time, cost, kids comparing one party to the other, logistics. Make the best decision for your family as a whole, and teach your kids deeper values for life than whether or not they get their own birthday party.

1
5 8

Sure, why not? In fact, half or not half, encouraging sharing birthdays will definitely build deep friendships and connections to last. I remember sharing a birthday party with my friend whose birthday is 6 days apart from mine. We both remember that party like it happened just a little while ago!! We moved to different city and could not continue the trend, but we remember each other better than the rest of the classmates from that city!!...In the recent past, We have started celebrating two of my son's friends' birthdays along with his and its working out wonderful !!

1
0 21

My brother was born on my first birthday .... and so from that day forward we shared "our special day" 44 years later I still feel very fortunate to share the same birthday with my brother. Even though we shared the same birthday, our parents made sure that the day was special for each of us!

1
162 7

I would definitely let them share a birthday. Why not!? If they don't have a problem with it, then who cares. Plus, why would they?

1
6 4

Yes will be nice.Good to share the fun together. I shared my wedding day with my sister in law!

1
5 8

wow!! My sis in law shares her wedding anniversary with her daughter's birthday!!

0 0

While they are not half brother and sister, my daughter and son were born 6 days apart. We do not do a big party every year, but just invite grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. They have been fine with it. I make sure that they each have their own theme and birthday cake. When my daughter turns 10 and my son turns 5 next year, we are planning on doing a big birthday party for them where they can invite friends and such. We might allow our daughter to have her 1st sleep over party.

1
1

Two Brothers Share their Sister when Things

0
3 2

It kind of depends on your budget and do they get along because if they do they could maybe agree on a place and maybe 3 or 4 friends a peice.

0
5 0

My mother and father were born on the same day and same year and in the same hospital.
So one would not miss out we took Mum out on her birthday ( with Dad ) and took Dad out ( with Mum ) half way through the year.

0
6 0

My son & daughter are 3 years and 1 week apart. For her 1st b-day (his 4th), we did have seperate parties because we felt like 1 was a milestone we wanted to make a big deal of. Every other year (they will be turning 5 and 8 in August), we have done joint parties as we are still having 'family' parties rather than them having friends over. We do some things to make it special for each of them. For example they can either decide on a joint theme or two seperate themes...one year we did a luau theme with a 'volcano' cake, tropical decorations, etc. Last year he wanted princess and she wanted transformers. We got silver plates and cups that went with both, and let them each get their own cake and balloon bouquet. I usually make the invitations myself using clip art/photos all one one page but make it clear it's for both of them. We also take turns opening presents so that everyone can enjoy seeing them open things without missing anything. Whoever opens first the other one gets sung happy birthday to first, or cuts the cake first, or hits the pinata first...something to keep it 'even'. This year, we are having it at a local bounce house so we don't really have a say on the theme anyway as they provide the supplies, etc. We are just having family (there are plenty of cousins). But I told my son that he could invite 3 friends from school over the next weekend for a cookout and swimming, so that he still has something like that-she doesn't care yet. As they both get older, we will probably have a big 'family' cookout/get together as opposed to a real party, and then both of them have a small thing like that. I think it's fine for siblings to have them together as long as you make each feel special still. As far as since your's are 1/2...unless they just totally don't get along or are wildly different in age I don't see that that makes a difference-my stepsister now has a blended family of 6 and they have two sets that have combined parties and they don't seem to mind anymore than my kids do.

0
4 4

If the kids want a party together, then let them have one together. If they need something individual, that's fine too. If they are too young to express those wants, decide by what their needs by taking into account their personality types.

Maybe I am reaching too far by saying this, but I have two half brothers who I cannot bear to call anything less than brother. The "half" remark always felt like a punch to the gut.

0
506 5

i wouldnt have shared birthdays. sibblings share most of their lives with each other we do not show one child more than another so they should have something that is theres alone and a birthday is the perfect opportunity.

0
2 26

We have half siblings step siblings and full siblings in this family. some are mine and some are his together they total 10. There is nothing wrong with sharing birthdays it can make it less stressful for you and more fun for them.

0
11 0

If they don't mind. My kids have shared birthday parties and they've also shared parties with their cousins (there are a lot of grandkids, so it's easier to combine them).

0
23 12

My kids are "step" brother and sister. They are the same age and four days apart. We have their party that people are invited to and we do something, usually bowling, together and they know that they get to do something bigger and more exciting that way. On their perspective birthdays I make them their favorite dinner and we celebrate them as an individual at that time. We just have the party the weekend closest to in between their birthdays. They are 8 and we have been doing this for 3 years now and they love it.

0
0 14

my boys are 13 months apart and for the first 5 or 6 years we did a combined party...once they reached school age tho i have started doing separate parties...but like several ppl on here id say if they r old enough to decide ask them.

0
0 0

I believe that the half part shouldn't even matter. It should matter what they want and what you can budget for. My three kids from 2 dads and a total of more than 19 siblings of some sort or another with birthdays as close as two days apart. I have had shared birthday parties and separate parties. It usually is decided by what I can afford, who is responsible for throwing a party and if they are throwing the child a party and if I will know the schedule enough to be able to set up something big or small.

I won't stand by and not make sure a child gets at least a small celebration if I am able to whether they are my stepchildren, my child's sibling or whatever the case.

0
0 15

Individuals.......................individual parties!

0
0 4

My son was born 4/26/99 and my daughter 4/24/09. We've done their birthdays together so far, but made sure that each had their own cake and decorations. It's a bit different with the age difference in mine, but it works and my son has had no problem with it because I've made sure each felt that they were special, i.e. party games and friends. This year will mark our first different parties though because DS wants one outside of the home. My only advice is to be sure you make sure each child feels like it's their special day even though it is being celebrated together. P.s. it helps that on the day of their bdays I gave each a wake up happy bday cupcake.

0
1 0

I think it depends on the ages of the children. When my son turned 4 and my daughter turned 1, we hosted a shared birthday party for family members because their birthdays are eight days apart. As they have gotten older (and wiser), we no longer do this because they each want their own special day.

- Jackie Hennessey
www.ventingsessions.com

0
76 11

Personally I think a child should have their own party because this is THEIR special day.

0
7 87

Yes I think it is okay for half siblings to share a birthday party. When growing up I shared birthday parties with my step sister.

0
56 5

So much of this depends on family dynamics. It's tough getting the whole (extended) family together for a day in one month, let alone two! Make sure each child feels special on their day and forgo separate parties if that's what you need to do, especially when they're still young.

0
25 16

The blended family dynamic is already difficult enough. Our birthday is the one special occassion that is our own personal day. I would not 'lump' both birthdays together, unless the children requested it. Make each child feel special on their own day, if at all possible. Just my thoughts!

0
4 0

Sharing the same birthday is fine when they are small. I have read most of the answers and some of you are thinking of the cost on the parents of the kids to have the party on the same day. Has anyone thought about the parents that are buying the gifts. That is two gifts for different ages, an what happens when one child gets more gifts.
We had this happen one time my one granddaughter got four gifts an the other granddaughter got a lot more. after that each grandchild got their own day.

0
11 11

You should ask the children what they prefer. If it was me I would not want to share my birthday party with anyone.. As a parent it would be great to just have one party,but it should be left up to the children..

0
6 0

First, let me say that I am an only child. Second, I have one biological child. My son has approximately 13 siblings due to his father's inability to stay in a stable relationship. In regards to what I think about the OP's question, I'd like to know if the two half-siblings (Whether or not we want to admit it, there is a difference between half and full siblings, especially when it comes to families.) live together. If so, then, assuming THEY are ok w/ it, why not have sep. friend lists, sep. cakes and a sep. gift opening for each child. If it is a problem getting teh families together w/ doing both b-day parties, then it may be best to have separate parties. If the sibling were full sibling, then of course, they share the same families, so I think having a shared b-day party would be just fine every few years. I would encourage them to have separate birthday parties other years. I thin it woukld be cool to have a swimming party or a skating party. I am sure everyone would enjoy that! :)

0
6 0

Sorry for the typos; I was in a hurry...as usual!

1 16

It definitely depends on their ages at the time of the celebration. I have 2 sons whose birthdays are EXACTLY a week apart. They are 4 years apart. If it is a milestone birthday I.e. 1st, 5th, 10,th, 13th, 16th, etc. I feel those should be celebrated separately.

0
14 4

We are foster parents-Last year we ended up taking in 2&3 year old boys-it was an emergency situation. They should have just had a birthday but no one knew if they had any kind of celebration. This happened to be right around my son and my husbands birthday. I asked my son what He thought about throwing them a party at the same time. He didn't mind at all. To him it was an excuse for an even bigger party. Everyone had a great time and sharing IS a good thing! I love that my kids don't see life as being just about them. All are precious in Gods site!

0
5 0

I think it is a very good idea for them to share a birthday party together.

0
24 0

My twins always have to share! haha no, really, ask them if they want to share a party, and do something special for each one on their actual birthday. Our family has many shared birthdays and that works well for us. We will probably share the family party for the June 3rd and 4th birthday kids, but they have different friends so we will do seperate "friend" parties!

0