Is one nap a day OK for a 19 month old?

As babies get older, they sleep less and start transitioning to shorter naps. Is just one nap a day enough for a 19 month old?

33 8

My daughter stopped napping twice a day long before 19 months. She just wouldn't sleep in the morning any more. The afternoon nap became much longer though, so I don't think she sleeps much less. If you are not sure, maybe just try it out a few times, and see how it goes? Good luck!

2
5 20

My son dropped his morning nap at that age. He napped for 2hrs in the afternoon and still slept through the night. His now 23months old and he still naps in the afternoon but only for an hour. I have tried to stop him having his nap but it made him worse before bed as he found it hard to sleep and this just made him overtired and really restless at night. So I guess just see what works with you and your child best.good luck!

32 20

Yes. My daughter is 15 months old and has been taking one nap for awhile now. She usually naps from about 11am to 2pm sometimes longer. She usually goes to bed around 7pm and sleeps all night. I agree with what someone else mentioned....take your baby's cue! They will let you know when it is time to sleep!!! And yes, some children require more sleep than others!

1
6 9

My daughter dropped down to one nap at 11 months old. We were out and accidentally missed the morning nap that day, and we never got it back. She's now 19 months old and her nap has gotten longer, she's now down for 1.5-2 hours, it's wonderful!

1
34 24

My son was very similar at 11 months he no longer needed the morning nap and has a 1.5 - 3hr nap after lunch each day. He is 21 months and sleeps from 7:30pm-7:30am every day.

0 0

My baby is 17 months old an doesn't sleep at all I hate bed time there is no point in it. She go's asleep for 5 mins an wakes up wants to get up she as never slept from birth I can not take any more. To get her asleep I have to lay down with her for at least an hour she rolls round the bed for an hour then closes her eyes for five mins then I have to start again it is a night mare has anyone got any advice I just don't no what do do I am so tierd.

0
528 0

At 9 months, my son went down to one nap a day. All of a sudden he was sleeping 12 hours a night 7 to 7 and then napping from 12 to 2. He is 3 now and still naps once a day, but his bedtime varies depending if he has to wake up early that day or not. It just depends on your child. I know my friend's child took two naps a day for quite a while, maybe up to age 2 plus. If your child is taking one a day, but seems extra cranky on certain days, then try for the second nap.

0
1 0

I think so, my 13 month old daughter just has one nap a day and usually for 1-2 hours. She then goes to sleep at night between 7 and 7.30. She may wake up a couple of times for a drink of milk or water during the night. She is very active during the day and seems to cope fine with only one nap

0
3 39

Both my kids stopped a couple naps before a yr old. My son was in daycare and was on routine for one nap. My daughter is 25 months now and she takes one nap..usually anywhere from 11 o 12 and wil sleep up to 2 hrs..and shes back in bed about 730..its great..sometimes..

0
9 0

I am a certified pediatric sleep consultant and most children drop down to 1 nap between the ages of 15-18 months. So yes, 1 nap a day is perfect for a 19 m.o. The nap should be about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours after they adjust to the transition. Like my Facebook page for more tips and advice www.facebook.com/tulsapediatricsleepconsulting

0
0 19

My son is 19mos. he goes to bed at10pm sleeps til about 9am. He has 1 afternoon nap at 1pm or 2pm til 3pm or 4pm. As long as your child seems to be doing okay with sleeping at night and 1 nap I wouldn't worry. Its more about the amount of time your child sleeps not so much when they sleep. I think its a total of 12-14 hrs of sleep in a 24hr time period for ages 1-3.

0
11 48

My son is 19months and he has one nap during the day for about 2 hours, though he still wakes up at night for a bottle sometimes twice.

0
13 3

up till my son turned a year he was 3 naps a day... one in the mourn for about 1.5 hours and a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon and an 2 hour evening nap from 6-8pm and then went to bed at 10pm... for the most part he takes 1 nap a day... he sleeps from about 1-3pm everyday. occasionally he will toss it up for a morn nap or an evening nap but not very oftern.... so it totally depends on the kid... considering my son sleeps 10 hours a night... it is pretty much set in stone... if he sleeps less than 8 hours a night i know there is something wrong...

0
6 17

My daughter, now 4, pretty much stopped napping once she started sleeping through the night. That was around 10-11 months old. She has never been a crabby kid so I didn't think too much of it. If she is tired she may take the occasional nap but usually she goes all day. She sleeps 12-13 hours every night and is happy and pleasant all day. Although at times, I wished she did nap, so I could have a quick break but she is not one to be forced to nap. I realized that was a losing battle. Just listen and watch your child for their cues and they will definitely let you know if they need more sleep.

0
0 25

I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 22 month old. Both (yes both) have a long nap in the day and still sleep 12 hours at night. The oldest goes to nursery 3 afternoons a week and the little one goes once so on those days they don't have a nap at all and have to go to bed early because they are so tired. On the days when both of them are at home they will sleep usually from 1.30pm to 4.30 sometimes later. It is not unusal for the older one to sleep later too, sometimes even till 6pm and will still sleep at night. They are both so busy when they are awake that they tire themselves out. I was concerned that the older one was sleeping too much and took him to the doctors, they took some blood to make sure he wasn't low in certain vitamins etc other serious problems and he came back clear (thankfully). The doctor just said he obviously likes his sleep. I'm not concerned at all with how long they sleep for as long as it did not effect their nightime sleep. If that started to become an issue I would cut back on the afternoon nap. I have always found letting a child wake up on their own far better than waking a sleeping child.

0
14 40

This is one of the biggest questions we get as sleep coaches and it is a tricky time. Around 15 to 19 months, toddlers reach a time when two naps are too much and one nap is too little. During this time of transition, it is so important to watch out for sleep cues and follow your toddler’s lead. There may be times when your toddler may need the two naps; this may happen when your toddler has had a very active day. Please read a resent blog post on my website about sleep averages per age.

http://houston-synergy.com/2011/07/babychild-sleep-needs/

0
5 16

My son has been taking only one nap since he was about 14 months old. He is now 18 mnths old. He still sleeps through the night with no problems. I have been lucky that he has been sleeping through the night since he was about 6 months old. One

0
1,890 18

1 nap for a 19 month old is definitely okay in fact its the norm. Most children make the transition from 2 down to1 nap between 12-18mo. Most day cares have only 1 nap time in the toddler rooms which is kids 18-36 mo. My daughter was about 15 months when she made the transition. Lunch at 11:30ish and nap around 12. She only has two naps if we are out and her nap is cut short then she often naps again between around 3:30/4.

0
6 20

My son is 24 mo. and takes a 1 -2 hour nap after lunch time. I find any more than that he wants to stay up all night! Goes to bed around 8:30 or 9:00 and generally wakes up between 7 and 8. I have 3 children and none of them ever were big "sleepers". I wished my kids would sleep past 7 somedays. I think whatever works best for you, your family, and your sheldue is what you should do. Not a certain age.

0
1 2

Absolutely! I have 2 kids (6 and 24 months) and I run a daycare so I have had quite a bit of experience with toddlers. Most children will transition to one nap around 10-15 months. All kids are different but usually around a year old is a good time to go from 2 shorter naps to one long one, especially if your child is starting daycare.

0
101 48

Depends on the kid. Watch how tired your child appears to be both at naptime and at bedtime and throughout the day. My first daughter had dropped the morning nap by this age, but my second is this age now and some days she still wants the morning nap. Make sure you're allowing opportunity for a longer afternoon nap or an earlier bedtime if she does drop the nap.

0
14 192

Oh, definitely. My daughter dropped her morning nap around that time. I believe it was around 16 months, as it was near Thanksgiving. Her afternoon nap was 2 hours, and it increased to 3, and she still slept through the night. Now, at 2 years and 3 months, she naps for 2 hours in the afternoon from 12:45 - 2:45 or 3 and sleeps 11-12 hours at night with bedtime at 8:30 normally and 9pm during the summer because it's so light outside. We also have a 3 month old baby, and he goes down with her in the afternoons, but he sleeps until 5pm. Then, he's up until bedtime around 9. He sleeps 10-12 hours at night and takes a morning nap for about 1-1/2 hours.

This schedule works for us, and I intend to keep that afternoon nap/quiet time for years to come.

As other moms have suggested, try it out and see how it works for you and your child. Parenting is a lot of trial and error until you figure out what works and what doesn't. Then, you stick with what works. :) Good luck.

0
36 28

My son is 19months and has had one nap a day since he was 1. He always goes to bed after his lunch and sleeps for about 2 hours. I think Im going to start shortening it now though as he has been playing up at night times.

0
49 0

when my twin girls starting sleeping only 15 minutes for their morning nap - I stopped putting them down for one. Now - they take an afternoon nap and sleep anywhere from 1.5 hrs to 3 hrs, just depends upon the day and how hard they played in the morning. They also sleep 12-13 hours a night. Here is our schedule - up at 8:30 - 9am (I don't let them sleep past 9 otherwise it throws the rest of their day off) 11:30 lunch (generally no morning snack because then they don't eat lunch), 1:30 -4:30pm (sometimes 5) naptime. 8:30 bedtime. This is a very strict schedule for us because 1. with twins and my husband traveling for his job, I needed a schedule 2. if we stray from it - the girls have a very rough day the next day.

0
2 12

You have to wake them up at 9?? I wish! My son wakes up between 6:30 and 7:15 usually, even after going to sleep at 8:30. I would do a happy dance if he ever slept to 9!

19 1

My son rarely took any naps at that age, he just slept longer at night. As long as they get enough sleep its fine. They will let you know if they need a nap.

0
17 2

neither one of my kids slept during the day past 2 years......every once in a while one of them will down for a nap if they get tired out during the day....but my son after 4 months slept through the night while my daughter has slept through the night once in the 2 years since....sometimes she will sleep during the day if i tire her out.....but it's rare....i think one nap a day is enough as long as they are happy and get enough sleep at night

0
8 5

At 19 months 1 nap should be plenty. I think most children are at 1 nap by then. My first son went to one nap at 13 months, and my second son is 13 months old now but still solidly taking 2 naps per day. The transition can be tough though, so they may go back and forth a bit.

0
4 8

My daughter dropped her 2nd nap months ago now (just after a year old), She sleeps after lunch for anything between 40 minutes and 2 hours (depending on whether she is with me or the childminder) If we are home she generally has 1.5 to 2 hours. As long as she has an hour or more she is generally fine til bedtime :-)

0
3 20

My son started taking 1 nap a day at a year old, and his nap lasts between 2-3 hours a day ever since. He'll be 3 next month.

0
2 3

My son is in daycare and transitioned to their toddler room at around 16 months old, which meant he could nap only once during the day. It was rough at first for him but then he became conditioned to it at around the 19 months mark. And my situation was similiar to Clair, the afternoon nap was longer (about 2 to 3 hours). Good luck!

0
11 9

Yes. My daughter stopped taking her morning nap at 6 months! She is now 25 months old. She has been taking a 2-3 hour afternoon nap ever since. It's works out great for us! And she likes it, too. She sleeps 10-13 hours a night!!

0
6 16

My oldest son stopped napping altogether at 18mths. My daughter was the same way and my youngest who is 15mths only naps once a day from 12-3 or 4. It depends on the child some need more sleep than others.

0
9 26

my son stopped taking two naps a day at 14 months and now just takes a two hour nap in the afternoon.

53 6

Yes! And it should be a long one.

0
1 49

My daughter was really small when she stopped 2 naps, but she naps from 1-4 every afternoon!! If she was a 6am baby like some are, she might need that second nap- but she sleeps to 8:30

0
27 7

I say follow her cues. My son at that age would need two naps one day and be fine with one the next day. That went on for about six weeks before he finally dropped to one nap consistently. I did have to make bed time a bit earlier which actually gave me an hour a night to myself.

0
33 19

Yes, one nap a day is enough for a 19 mo. We put my daughter on a one nap a day routine a little before she was a year, and that nap is after lunch! I believe in routines and this has really helped!

0
1 37

My 20 month old only takes 1 nap a day. He gets up at 530ish most mornings, goes down for a nap around noontime, and sleeps til 2 or 3, and does perfectly fine. His older brothers when they were 15-3 yrs took only a nap a day and were perfectly fine as well

0
71 17

My little girl is 23 months and rarely naps. I put her in her room every day and some days she will nap and others she will just play in her crib. I was told normally kids stop taking naps around age 2.. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but my little girl doesn't always want to nap. She does however sleep until 9:30 to 10 in the morning.

0
60 43

My 20mo stopped 2 naps around 1 year! now she doesn't always nap every day! Just go by how they are acting, responding. If they wont take 2 naps. they probably only need 1.

0
20 24

Yes my daughter has only been taking 1 nap in the afternoon since last fall she sleeps in afternoon for 2 to 3 hours and at night about 10 to 11 hrs

0
1 7

Yes. It's not the number of naps, but the amount of sleep total the child is getting. Mine son went down to one nap at 13 months. So that is perfectly normal, as long as he/she is getting roughly 12-14 hours total sleep each day.

0
30 18

All three of my kids transitioned to one nap by the time they were a 1.5 but they are all affected by too much day time napping. If they sleep in the afternoon, they don't go to bed until well after 9pm. So I try to give a nap/quiet time around 11 am so that they can still get to bed at night. If they miss the morning nap, I don't try making it up in the afternoon either. This way they are sure to sleep through the night.

0