The right age to switch from crib to bed?

Some moms wait til their child is climbing out of the crib to get them a big-kid bed, while others try to anticipate possible safety issues and move them earlier. What do you think? When is it right to move into regular beds?

44 15

I switched my daughter at 18 months, she did fine with it but I know of people who waited a lot longer. I think it depends on the child.

5
2 23

I personally left it up to my children , I figured when they started to climb out the would be the time, problem was none of them tried getting out. They were about 21/2 when I dropped their mattress and took off the front rail. I figured this way it wasn't a huge change going from a crib to a toddler bed!
Funny story, my first child Lorelei, I finally dropped the front rail and told her that when she woke up she could get out herself and come get me! The next morning I woke up to het calling me to come get her, I told het she could hey down herself, well she refused to get out of bed, she just kept calling for me like you always did until I went and picked her up! I thought it was so cute and figured she just liked that ritual every morning and when she was ready she would be ready. It took a little while but she did. She came strolling in my room one morning with a huge smile on her face exclaimg " mommy I did it" Proud moment!
I do have to point out that kids grow up WAY to fast these days, and there is no study's that say kids who stay in cribs have such and such a problem! Unless you need the crib for a new baby I don't see what some moms are such in a rush for!

3
34 20

We switched my daughter at 25 months, just after her second birthday. She did great during the switch (she never tried to climb out, we didn't have another one on the way, she was just ready for a big girl bed and she was VERY excited). We have the bed up against one wall and the other side we bought a collapsible rail. She is safe and secure in there and loves all the room and being able to jump in her bed.

3
2 4

We moved our daughter when she was 18 months so that our second child (son) could use the crib. He arrived when she was 22 months but we didn't want her to think that he took it from her. She was fine moving at 18 months. We will be moving our son after Christmas which will make him 28 months. I also think it depends on the child. If they are always climbing out of it or if you are potty training them then I think they should be in a bed.

3
11 22

Every baby is different, but I think as parents, we just know. With my son, after several escapes from his crib, to avoid any broken bones, we switched our son to a "big boy bed" at 15 months. He did great in it from the very beginning, but just for peace of mind, I kept a baby gate at his door for several months to make sure he didn't roam the house while we were sleeping.

2
0 20

baby gate at the door, is a brilliant idea!

37 43

Both my son (5) and my daughter (3) were still napping and non climbers so they both moved to a toddler bed at 2 9months. My son stayed in his toddler bed until 4 10 months, then my daughter got the toddler bed. Like others said, we made it special with bedding, everyone slept fine from the first night on. I think it helped that we could communicate more with them. I believe on this topic there isn't a right age. Every child is different! It helped my kids nap longer and it was an easy transition for us!

2
0 1

DD is still in a crib at 30 months. She does not try to climb out and I am not anxious to move her into a big girl bed yet. I remember the transition with DD1...I'm still scarred by it, lol!!
Maybe after the New Year we will try, but right now, she's fine where she is.

1
0 10

We switched our daughter to a big girl bed when she was about 15 months old! I think it just depends on the child... She never tried to climb out of the crib, she always knew when it was bed time and when u put her in bed she was asleep shortly after so it was just easier to get her started at a younger age.

1
18 19

I can't remember Hannah's exact age but I think it was before she was 2. We moved her because she was outgrowing her crib. She's tall and it was becoming a danger when she stood up in the crib. We bought her a toddler bed which she quickly outgrew as well. She's now 4 and enjoying a twin-size bed. Loves it and sleeps in it all night long. She always did well with the toddler bed too. She got to help pick it out and the bedding. I think this makes a difference as well.

1
1

When the kid can climb

0
1 0

I switched Eve at 1 year old. And my other girl, Mia, was a bit earlier at 19 months :)

0
19 1

Our daughter transferred just before she was 2 although of her own making. She had been given a blow uo bed - to use on a forthcoming holiday and we were trying it out in the living room and she decided she wanted to have her nap in it!! She then wanted to sleep in it and she decided she did not want her cot anymore and we changed to a toddler bed against the wall with a safety rail on the other side. She loves it but I do think it is dependant on your child.

0
3 0

I switched my son (now 3 1/2) when he was around 14 months old, just after his first birthday. He had been sleeping in the bed with me for a few months because he was just to big for the crib, so he was uncomfortable and not sleeping. We have only had one fall since putting him in his big boy bed..Mostly my fault though, his bed is very high and he uses a step stool to get in and out of bed. I forgot to push it back over to the bed after putting him to bed.. I know that seems really young but he is a very "grown up" little boy. And he was ready. I have to agree with everyone else that it just depends on your child though. They will let you know when they are ready.

0
0 8

My daughter was 15 months when she began climbing out of her crib. After a talk with the pediatrician and much trepedation we made the transistion. Our concern was that her room is upstairs and ours downstairs and it connects to a large family/play room. She transitioned extremely well and our fears were unwarranted. We just keep a gate across the stairs.

0
0 20

For my daughter she was a little over a year, We were moving and so she had her crib at the new place for the first week to get used to the new place and then grammie took her for the night and when she came back she had a little girl bed (pink princess plastic one) and has loved it ever since. No problems what so ever in changed from crib to little girl bed. We put a baby gate in her doorframe and her door stays open, therefore no worries about her getting out of her room and roaming all over the house and getting into trouble lol .

0
0 16

Ii put our son in a bed at 17 months. I found he slept better and for longer. He is a fidget in bed and when he was in his cot he kept turning sideways and getting stuck or banging his head and waking up. But when I moved him into a big bed he had more room to move around and so he slept better.

0
0 14

Our crib has a side that comes completely off so it's like a toddler bed. He climbs up onto his mattress just like a regular bed and he climbs out when he wants. He has plenty of room @ 4yrs but we are get his big boy bed before Christmas.

0
0 0

my son is 18 months , and just after he turned 18 months he decided that he HATED his crib and would scream for hours until we would either put him in our bed or let him fall asleep on the floor. we recently just found a car bed and no more bed time issues. (is 18 months early for a big boy bed?)

0
0 21

Switched my son from cot to bed last week at 25 months, had been thinking about doing it for a while but was worried i would have problems with him climbing out or falling out of the bed, i put a bed guard on 1 side and the other side is against the wall, i think this gives him the security he felt in his cot. He has been fine in his bed, i am pleasantly suprised, i think if you treat it like an exciting thing, kids find it easier to adapt to it :)

0
13 17

Our oldest was switched at 20 month cause we needed the crib in 5 months. Any time between 18 - 36 months is considered normal. I looked it up when we needed to consider it for my oldest. My youngest is 17 months and still in a crib. I want to move him at 18 months. He already climbs out but only when I put him in his crib awake. Its up to each parent to evaluate their childs readiness, but not before the child turns 18 months.

0
0 13

My daughter climbing out of her crib at 12m but there was no way I was moving her into a toddler bed then so we just put a tent on her crib till she is closer to 2 year.

0
3 3

Ok I may be crazy but never had climbers. My oldest whom is 6 now, moved into a bed at 4 1/2. She didn't ask to move, she loved her crib and can I say what a great sleeper she was back then? Since she had the freedom of a bed she is up at 6 am every day, regardless of bedtime! I know that doesn't happen to everyone all of the time but it did happen to me, I also have a 3 year old who is still in the crib. Luckily I don't have climbers. She too is a great sleeper now si I am leary about moving her. I know she cant' start kindergarten in a crib lol. Maybe by Spring we will move her.

I just think what is the rush? Some people rush so quickly into putting little ones into a bed! Take it slow, they only little once. If you have to move them because of a new sibling coming or they are climbers, totally understandable. My theory is if it isn't broke, why fix it?

0
24 10

Thank Goodness. My son is 3 and we tried to move him to a big boy bed but it resulted in a month of sleepless nights for him and us. He finally asked for his crib back and we have all been happy. He doesn't try to climb out at all and falls asleep much better then he ever did in his bed. It's nice to not have the constant struggle and the sleepless days and nights. I was concerned because people have a real issue with his age and the fact that he is in a crib but it really works for him and us. Of course if he tried to climb out we would move him to a big boy bed but he really likes the security of the bars being around him. It feels good to know that I'm not the only one with a 3 yr old still in a crib.

1 2

We switched my little boy a little after his 2nd birthday. He did fine at first, but not long after started coming to our room in the middle of the night! Now, he's over 2 1/2 and he only wants to sleep with us!

0
58 42

We switched our first daughter at 2 1/2, a couple months before her sister was born (so she didn't feel like it was being taken from her), and she had no problems. We switched our younger girl about the same age, and she has several times asked for the crib back, and its a real fight trying to keep her in bed for both nap and at night. She is in a toddler bed now, so its not too high, and she doesn't fall out...I guess she just liked being enclosed. The long side is up against a wall, and its in the corner of the room too.

0
2 6

Each of our 3 children stayed in the crib until they were 3 years old. For each of their 3rd birthdays, we bought them special new bedding and coordinating room decorations to make the transition special. They moved from a crib to a toddler sized bed. They stayed in their toddler bed until 5, then moved to a twin sized bed.

We've kept it the same for each one. Our children are each 5 years apart. None of them attempted to climb out of the crib. We had a fabulous bed-time routine with each one, and each was content to stay in their crib until age 3.

My youngest (and last!) is 4 years old right now. I cried on her last day in her cribbie, and I'll cry next year on her last day in her toddler sized bed :( Kids grow up WAAAAAY TOOOO fast!!!!!!

0
1 18

I moved my daughter into a big kid bed before I had my son, so she would be use to her new bed before her brother came. Then when my son learned how to crawl up and over the side of the crib I turned it into a day bed. Then i put rolled blankets under the sheet to help keep him from rolling out of bed at night. Worked well!

0
1 18

My daughter was 20 months when we moved her and my son was almost 2 when we changed his bed. But I spent a lot of time talking to my little girl and getting her excited about having a new bed!

32 20

I had to move my son at 10 months. After two occassions where he'd climbed out of the cot and landed on the foam letter mat that was on his floor - thankfully he wasn't . He wasn't walking yet but the boy could crawl like greased lightening. LOL. I tried putting a baby gate on his door but he used to pull it over (we were renting so we had one of those pressure mount gates. We ended up spending ages trying to get him acclimatised to having his bedroom door shut and not having him just climb out of the bed and play with his toys. He didnt sleep thru the night till he was 1.5yrs and at 5 years old he was diagnosed ADHD.
My daughter moved from the cot when she was 18 months old after getting used to the toddler bed for her day time naps (and not climbing out of it when she was suppossed to be sleeping) for one month running (xmas day doesnt count LOL!).
It really depends on the individual child - my DD was mentally and physically ready - my DS we had no choice for - safety comes first!!! If they can climb out - move them ASAP.

0
5 18

3 years old, but you have to see your child as well. Every child is different.

0
1 13

Each one of my boys moved out of the crib at different ages. It really depends on the kid. Some can go as early as 18 months while others will wait until they're 3 years. My oldest moved at 18 months, my second at 3yrs, because we had a new one on the way and my youngest at about 2yrs. So each is very different. Like potty training...when the kid is ready is usually best.

0
14 57

We switched our oldest when she was 3 and jumped out of her bed. Yes, she JUMPED! My youngest daughter is 37 months and still in her crib. I wanted to switch her when she was 2 but because she is very adventurous, I knew if she had a toddler bed, I'd find her on top of her changing table. She can get out, but is too scared to try alone. But she is getting too big for the bed, so we will probably switch her by the end of the year.

0
25 6

our daughter slept on her crib mattress on the floor til she was just past 18 months.. she was climbing out of the crib and it was getting scary, also we were in transition, so it made sense for us to just let her sleep on the mattress.. we didn't have a lot of money, so we decided to just get her a regular twin sized bed.. she did just fine, only fell out of the bed twice when someone forgot to pay her body pillow on the open side of the bed.. i think it depends, every child and family is different.. just try the things that feel right to you...

0
9 8

I proudly let my daughter sleep in her crib until just after her third, yes I said third, birthday. She loved her crib and never attempted to climb. We had a great bedtime routine and she rarely gave me bedtime troubles. (all was not perfect; she was a bear as a baby!!) When I introduced the bed (twin, not toddler size) she loved it and never looked back for the crib. She was mature enough to talk about staying in bed, etc. Smooth sailing a month into the switch. I know this is not the answer for everyone but it worked for us! I put a lot of work and listened to a lot of tears when she was a baby to get to this smooth transition.

0
2 5

I'm with you here! My son will be 4 in January and never tried to climb out. He has a twin bed in the room and can sleep just fine in it, but sometimes he still prefers his crib. So we let him choose and right now it's about 50/50. No harm as far as I can see. (We're holding onto the crib for a friend who's trying to get pregnant, so it's still in his room.)

0 2

I switched my daughter as soon as she was potty trained, so she was able to get up and take herself to the potty. That was about at 22 months. She does very well now when you say bed or nap time she runs and takes herself to bed.

0
46 31

My son was nearly 3 when we transitioned him to his 'big boy' bed. Even then it was only because his sister was 5 months and had out grown the cradle! I think he would have happily stayed in there for good. We had no problems tranferring to his bed at all. Totally depends on the child though. He never attempted to climb out and even though he was tall it didn't bother him as he curled up in a ball to sleep. Not sure his sister is going to be quite so obliging however. :)

0
1 2

We tried the switch at around 18 monthes, because every time he got in his crib he would just cry. I had read that sometimes they feel confined. But after a week of him getting out of his bed, we put the rail back up(had convertible bed).Now he is 2 years old and sleeping fine in the crib. So, he is potty training now, but still not waking up at night to tell us he needs to use the bathroom. Until then, I think we will keep the rail on. 3 yrs might be when we transition. But as everyone says, it depends on the child.

0
6 20

We bought our oldest toddler bed when he was 1 (now 3). But he didn't sleep in it until he was about 18mos old, but he was sleeping with us most of the time before that since he didn't like sleeping in his crib from the moment he could pull himself up. My youngest (now 18mos) has been sleeping in his toddler bed since 1. He is tall for his age and more of a dare devil so I was very scared he would climb out of the crib. So from other mom's posts it seems mine switched over a bit early but I think it really does depend on your child. For ours it worked out great.

0
113 42

I think it totally depends on the child and the circumstances. I moved my oldest to a toddler bed at 15 months because she flipped herself out of the crib (on the lowest mattress setting). It was a rough transition as I don't think she was really ready for the toddler bed, but I was terrified she'd break her neck from another fall. I moved my second daughter to a toddler bed when she was 18 months old. Her move was a combination of safety (she's very strong and in her tantrums when she was put down for a nap she was loosening the screws in the crib) and I was due with her little sister in 4 months. I wanted to get her used to the toddler bed before the baby so she didn't go through "but it's MY bed" issues. It was the best move we could make for her. She was ecstatic to be moved into a bed she could easily climb in and out of and she relished being a "big girl" like her older sister. I think you just need to watch your child's actions and reactions to the crib to decide when is the best time to switch to a big kid bed.

0
13 16

My lg who is now 25 months old, we moved her into a big bed when she was 17 months old. She used to sleep in the campcot and found it was getting too small for her as she used to sleep at every angle. she absolutely loved her big bed. we never had a problem with her climbing out of her bed during the night or refusing to go to sleep. We thought we would have problems with her not staying in her bed but we dont. its the best move we made.

0
37 20

i switched my son at 24months. he still sometimes get out of bed in the middle of the night, and wanders through the house. but i just take him back to bed every time, sooner or later he will learn that he needs to stay there. but its going very good. his bed is very high, so i put a little step next to the bed, and he now climbs up and down all by himself.

0
37 45

My eldest was nine months old as he kept getting stuck between the bars, around the eighteen month mark my youngest was born he started getting out of bed and it took me about three months to get him to stay in by himself, I sat at the door. My youngest was about thirteen months around about two he kept getting out his bed but only to go in with his brother, he is nearly three and still sleeps with his brother although I have to put them in seperate rooms to goto sleep! It all trial and error my friends little boy was nearly four, my gp said as soon as they can climb out themselves they should be moved. It entirely upto you! Good luck

0