Will seizures slow my daughter's development?

Seizures can often be scary for parents and their children. But is there a risk of developmental delay for children who have seizures?

14 15

Yes, I had to learn this the hard way, my daughter Kelsey had seizures at the 5mths old up to date, all though they are getting better with the new medication that shes on, shes still delayed in many areas, which I believe that some of the medications that she was on was also a factor in the delays.

4
13 19

I have had seizures all my life. I have no development delay/problems. Some doctors suggest that is can. Good luck with your journey. There is alot of helpful materials out there. :)

2
0 0

i am ramesh in india.i have complex partial seizure .now seizure is well cured.i have non drugable treatement for this seizure cure within THREE MONTHS.CONTACT IMMEDIARELY.CONTACT NO:919629705783,Mail-rameshcellaswamy@gmail.com.DONT LATE THIS IS VERY CRITICAL DISEASE.

17 14

Depends on the type and the triggers. The very dangerous ones are caused by high fevers and bacterial infections. The can create havoc on the brain. I've seen children who were perfectly healthy children who are reduced to a shell after one of these.
My son has cerebral palsy and often gets very high fevers and I have to fight to get his temperature under control.
If the seizures are from epilepsy I think they are less harmful as long as the child doesn't hit their head when the seize or black out. One of my seven year olds at school suffers from epileptic seizures and we just had to lay her flat and watch her so she wouldn't hurt herself and after the seizure she was fine.
For my son muscle relaxers help reduce his seizures at night.

1
79 13

mine were fibral. caused by high fevers.

0 0

I believe yes. My son will be 12 next month, diagnosed at 5, but had his first seizure at 18no. He is in special ed classes at school. His short term memory is bad. His teacher thinks it's all med related. I pray every day she is right. He has been seizure free for 5yrs. We start the weaning process on his 12th BIRTHDAY! He is very excited. I am very worried. We blame a lot of his issues on his meds...he doesn't sleep through the night, wets the bed every night...long list. My best advice is be proactive at school. I had to ask for special services, they were not offered. We also had a psychologist test for learning disabilities privately, so we knew the best way to teach him. Best wishes to you. Most grow out of it by puberty, so I've been told

0
1

as with most seizure paitents the children can have developemental problems.. because of the severity of the seizures and the children not understanding what is going on....seizures can have an effect on grades as well....you need to if you havent talk with your doctor and let him advise you of how to handle your childs ability to learn while having seizures...if he or she is having petti-mall which are the stareing off kind like my step daughter these are harder to catch than others, because teachers often think they are daydreaming instead of concentrateing on school work...my stepdaughters peds neurologist gave us a list of foods that often makes seizures worse...the main one is cheese..if your child/children eat alot of cheese then my daughters neuro. reccommended velveeta cheese.. lactose cheeses are worse on peds seizure paitents. you may ask your peds neuro if they have a foods list to stay away from.....i also have a stepson and my wife also has seizures.....some meds have a tendacy to make peopl start having bouts of seizures....even your childs pedatrician needs to be cautious on selecting meds for your daughter.....and then there is alot of info on the internet about seizures. i advise you to research all you can to find out what you can learn.....hope this helps and God bless and hope the neurology depts. find out more to help all seizure paitents....

0
8 0

my daughter is develpmentaly delayed(age onset 6yrs oild)18 yr old female, epilipsey and cerebal palse,so just love your child and be there for them,alot of patience and working wiht schoools docs etc,small steps and having someone to help you when you need a break :) hope this helps

0
79 13

I had seizures from the time I was in my mothers womb til i was 7 years old. My development was above average. The only thing that the seizures messed with was my memory. I have really bad memory loss. And it affects me now that im older.

0
11 0

Hi Giacci; Do you no longer have seizures? You mentioned till you were 7, did you outgrow them?

2 10

my daughter is almost 11 and and has epilepsy that is not controlled with medication. She has many seizure types. Her development has been delayed but this could be more to do with her treatment. She has had months off school due to brain surgery and hospital stays and is going to have more brain surgery in 2012. She has problems with her short term memory (worse since surgery) which has made leaning difficult for her, however she is still in main stream school.She should have been going to secondary school in sept 2012 but is going to stay back a year to catch up. She also has hypermobility which causes issues whith gross motor and fine motor skills so although she is delayed it would be difficult to put the blame solely on epilepsy.
I hope you find the answers you are looking for, and i wish you and your family good luck for the future x

0
13 11

my daughter started having seizures in may of 09. she was 2. now she has CSWS (continuous spike waves during slow sleep) as well as many spikes during the day, occasional grand mal, occasional drop seizures. She is very behind in many ways. she just started kindergarten this year and was placed into special education classes as her mentality is closer to an early 3 than 5. I was concerned about her lack of speech prior to her first seizure. Like most everyone will tell you, it depends on the child and the seizures. I have met with a few parents whom have children who have/had epilepsy that are perfectly fine, and then I know a few who are in similar circumstances that I am in with my daughter even though they each have different seizures. I sure hope you are one of the luckier ones and she continues to develop normally. I have learned however that with mine, what she lacks in some area's she makes up for with just that much more heart for not only her family, but for everyone else as well. Regardless of what happens, all you can do is stand by your beautiful little girl and be there to make sure she knows that she is perfect in every way.

Best of luck :)

0
4 38

I dont think so. My son had seizures from about 18 months to 2 1/2. Hes 4 now and "normal" I think it all depends on how long she has had them and how hard they are on her. But then again all children are different. From one mother to another I know how it feels to watch your child have a seizure and I know how helpless you feel while this is happening. Hopefully she is like my son and grows out of them. I will def keep you and her in my prayers

0
11 0

Hi Felicia; That is wonderful news about your son, but how did you notice they were going away? Was he on medication? I only ask b/c my son has seizures and I get good and bad news, one dr. says he probably will outgrow and another he probably will not. Thanks.

54 13

I think it depends on the child and type of seizure. My sister had seizures when she was little, her only delay occurred when she given too strong of a medication. After they sopped her medication, and figured out her seizures were triggered by pain, they managed to get them under control. She is perfectly fine now.

My son has Absence Seizures. He looks like he's daydreaming except you cant get his attention. He's had a handful of convulsive seizures, triggered usually by trauma or illness. However, it is the absence seizures that contributed to his delay. While, they didn't directly cause neurological damage, they did slow down his development. He walked at 14 mos, normal. His speech was delayed, as were his fine motor skills, and dealt with processing disorders. He is catching up to his peers. Still has learning delays, but is confident there is nothing 'wrong' with him. He'll tell people his brain just processes information differently.

Best advice I can give is to be very observant of you little one and if there is anything of concern bring it up with their Pediatrician. Early intervention is the best thing to make things a bit easier while growing up.

0
4 14

My son has recently developed epilepsy at 34 months also. Unfortunately he has inherited from me, I started having seizures at 5 years old and was medicated off and on up until the age of 26. My son has now been medicated so fingers crossed this will limit his seizure or even better stop them. I was never hindered by my epilepsy in anyway. I am an educated person with a post graduate degree. I can only hope my son is never hindered by his epilepsy also. It is a very scary experience and can be a lonely one if others do not understand what parents go through.

0
0 0

5 0

I am so sorry to hear about the seizure story from everyone. I don't know about them, but I do know about an awesome product Gamoderma!! Please check it out!! We have a phone call every morning at 10:30am cst 347-855-8377 they have some good stories that may help. Also Wednesday night at 9pm cst that tells all about the benefits of Ganoderma. Please check it, I pray everyone does better. Wendypatterson.OrganoGold.com 979-201-1004 Wendy

0
0 0

My daughter has had seizures since 2 months old she is now 10 months she has severe development delays. she also has cordial blindness. if your child has seizures that cannot be controlled with medicine then yes they will have delays as my daughter does.

0
14 17

no not at all my son has had them since he was 3 months old he is now nearly 3 years old and his devolopment is above average. But it does depend how bad the siezures are and how often they get them and hiw long they last if they have loads it can cause some harm but it is best to contact someone medicaly if your concernd.

0
0 0

my son started having seizures at 4years old, he started taking medication at 5 years old. He was seizure free for a full year at age 7 so i took him off the drugs even though the doctor said we should watch him for another year. i stopped the drugs because his development was slow and his teachers also complained that he was behind academically. since taking him off drugs, he hasnt had any seizures and he would be 9years in October. he is more alert now but his progress at school and total development is still below average.
the doctors dont believe that seizures or the drugs have anything to do with delayed development, but i do.
good luck with your child.
waye

0
1 1

Well my daughter does have seizures. She started having them when she was about 6months old. She was put on Phenobarbital when she was about 8 months old. She has been on kepra when she was a year old and she was on it up til she was 3 years old. The doctor just took her off of it about 3 months ago and she has not had any so far. I am so blessed for this.

0
22 24

I HAD SIEZURES SINCE I WAS AT LEAST 7 YRS OLD . BUT DEPENDING ON THE CHILD DEVEVLOPMENT AND WHAT HAS IT CAN BE SCARY FOR BOTH THE PARENTS AND THE CHILD. IT CAN SLOW DOWN A CHILD OR THE CHILD CAN JUST BE NORMAL. BUT THERE IS A RISK IN DELAY DEVELOPEMENT . I'M NOW 39 YRS OLD AND STILL HAVE SEIZURES TILL THIS DAY . THE SCARY PART IS ABOUT HAVING SEIZURES FOR ME , IS I DON'T KNOW WHEN THEY COME AND GO. SO WHEN I'M IN THE STORE I TRY NOT HAVE ANY . BUT HAD THEM. OVER THE YEARS THEY GOT WORST.IN 2002 I HAD A VAGAS NERVE STIMULATOR (VNS) FOR SHORT PUT IN. HAD TO GO TO SPRINGFIELD,ILL TO GET IN. SINCE MY SEIZURES GOT WORSE MY NEUROLOGIST HAS TOLD ME TO GO SEE THE NEUROLOGIST IN SPRINGFIELD. BUT STILL PUT MY MIND TO DAUGHTER WHO IS HAS A DISABLITIY. AS WELL BUT SHE MY PRIDE AND JOY. SHE COMES FIRST

0
2 26

Seizures themselves, no... but the AED's can cause some delays.

0
6 25

I had experience on this.... My daughther had her first fit at age of 3 due to spike in temp... Now she is 6 yrs old... Had a delay development and speech problem... The seizure continue when she had a high fever.....

0
36 18

My son had a febrile seizure when he was 18 months old and the dr. told us that because the seizure was due to a spike in temp. and it only lasted a minute if that, then there was no cause for concern on the development side. Hope this helps. If you are really concerned I would talk with your doctor about it.

0
10 10

my son had his first febrile seizure when he was 14 months. The doc told us not to worry much as this was due to high fever and his blood tests were normal. She also asked us not to wait for the fever to spike and whenever his fever starts, give him paracetamol and try to bring it down in any way. Till now, we have managed to do this and he is very active and normal language development he has. So, I think no need to worry if the doc says after check up. It is the most scary thing in parents' life to see the baby in that situation but it looks more scary that it really is!! I hope this will help.

30 12

they can but it don't always mean they will
i have had seizures since i was 1 1/2 an as far as my moms books all say i developed normally
an now im a mother of a 3 year old an expecting my next little girl in aug
but the best thing you can do is just know your child an know whats normal for her
God Bless

0
0 84

my one year old has febrile siezures and the doctor told me he thinks he will be ok but we have to have a scane done of his head just in case but he is devoloping normally.he had three so far trying to catch his is difficalt because he is all over the place except when he comes to me and very fussy.

-1
2 6

My son is 6 and has had seizures since 2. Every child is different who has epilepsy and every med affects children differently. If you child has Benign rolandic epilepsy (which is one of the most common childhood epilepsies) developmental delays are uncommon but with others they may be more common. I have also heard certain meds to cause more cognitive symptoms than others-but again this varies from child to child. The most important thing I have learned is to monitor my son and have the teacher do so as well. My son does have some learning issues but so far they are mild . I would suggest monitoring your child closely to see if there are any delays that you notice and if so get him/her evaluated.