Share your tips for dealing with toddler constipation

Many moms hesitate to give their toddlers medication that might be too tough for their developing bodies, so what are some of your surefire ways to relieve a toddler's constipation problems?

3 2

We did various things, including Miralax, but when we started making sure that our son drinks enough water and other liquids each day, the problem went away.

4
57 46

Pear Juice.... It was on alllll ages...

3
14 47

My son 22 months old has had constipation for 17months. When he was 4/5months old he had an antibiotic for a kidney infection which made him constipated, since then he has had a mental block. He thinks it will hurt and so holds on for hours even days at a time. When he holds it gets harder to go and subsequently hurts.

We have had him at specialists and he has been on laxatives for over a year, using sepositories as and when needed. Im glad to say we have finally broken the cycle and had a break through.

The first thing you should do is ensure your toddler is eating the correct diet. Fruit and veg are a must along with roughage. Brown bread instead of white and likewise with rice and pasta.

Once you are sure it is not the diet. The second major thing is NEVER INSERT ANYTHING other than a sepository into your toddler/babies bottom. This can cause MAJOR internal issues and is more likely to graze them internally causing more pain when they go and making the issue worse!

Thirdly every case is different. There are cant go and wont go toddlers. Either way there is a naturak remedy sold in all major health food stores it is extract of fig. The brand I get is CALIFIG and it has literally been a lifesaver. Dylan goes regularly now without complaints. We no longer have tears, tantrums and vomiting.

Because it is a natural remedy it will soften the stools enough to convince the toddler that it wont hurt. And if the toddler isnt holding on but is infact constipated it should solve this too.

If you try this for a week or so religiously and it doesnt work I would suggest that there is a tear or a cut in your toddlers anus which is re-tearing every time they poo. Look for blood.

They can provide cream for this and it will help.

I would like to stress again PLEASE DO NOT INSERT ANYTHING into your toddlers bottom this is cruel and wrong and you are not qualified to do so!

2
377 33

1/4 tsp KARO syrup in a milk bottle. I know it works VERY well on infants

1
1 5

Both my daughters struggle with constipation, one more than the other. I find that regulating it with their diet is the best thing. I make sure that everyday they have things incorporated in their daily eating regimen that will help them be more regular like: grapes, peas, prunes(if they are old enough), prune juice, peaches, apricots, apple juice and plenty of water. Also knowing what foods constipated and balancing them out like: bananas, apples, cheese, potatoes, rice, bread. It worked for both kids...my oldest is now 4 and my youngest is 18 months. Good luck!

1
13 39

My 3 month old son had horrible colic, and he was so full of gas it hurt him tons to push out poop and he would get constipated! I spent over a 100 bucks on colic remedys which did nothing. So I heard of baby probiotocs which they sell at health food stores, from that day on we had NO more colic and he poops every day!

1
2 13

ABSOLUTELY!!!! My son has been on probiotics since he was 6 weeks old! He is five now!

7 12

Grapes and lots of water/juice work well for my 4 yr old. Good luck

1
13 20

I had this problem with my son. The doctor tried all kinds of things but nothing worked......... Untill my gran told me what she did when her girls were small. Soak a packet of dry apricots over night, drain off the water but keep it safe as you'll need it. Then in another pint of water, put on the hob too simmer untill half the liquid is half gone. ( Should take about 30 minutes) Then drain off the water. ( throw this water away) Put the apricots in a blender along with some of the overnight water and blend till its got no lumps in. Tastes great and my son loved it. Just don't go out the next day......... We went too look at a new car when the apricots started too work........... Stank out the show room and used a whole pack of wetwipes lol. Its safe too use on them from 10 months and they can eat as much as they like =). Hope this helps xxxxxx

1
13 8

Prune juice never worked for my kids but PEAR JUICE worked wonders! I could only find it in small bottles in the baby aisle packaged by Gerber. Now that my kids are older, I put psyllium husk in their oatmeal as it is very healthy and gets the "gunk" out. :)

1
0 0

My girl now 5 has been dealing with constipation since she was a baby. It got so bad that her rectum prolapsed. We didn't know what to do, and were so scared when it happened. It happened only once more when she was a baby and by the time we got to the ER, the prolapse had retreated and they didn't have anything to say but "okay you can go home now" We have the opposite problem with my 8 year old boy. He's Loose, She's constipated. It makes for a very interesting dance when it comes time to make dinner for the family. although my boy's problem isn't causing any structural damage like my girl, I know we need to address his issues too and find balance. It becomes a constant process of looking for ways to find balance with diet and schedule including mine and my husband's. When we get busy and out of balance, so do our meal plans. We do our best to keep coming back to that balanced place. The best advice I can offer is to get to know your kid and their individual needs. When I think of it, I realize their constitutions have been what they are since they were babies. My boy used to always leak poop up his back out of the top of his diaper. When my girl came along, I was preparing for the same thing, but she didn't have that problem at all. she had large hard poops. We tried to go gluten free and dairy free to deal with another issue, and that brought us to more fruits and vegetables which really made a difference. Water of course is a must as well. My boy won't go near many fruits and veggies, but my girl luckily will eat many different options. It comes down to planning to and getting lots of fruits veggies, water and run-around playtime. prunes from time to time , and also children's probiotics have helped.

0
0 36

Applesauce and yogurts have worked for my kiddo. At least one a day.

0
3 31

Miralax works for my 4 year old now as well as Culturelle for Kids

0
5 73

grapes and juice that isnt watered down. we often give gripe water to the toddler when constipated. As a baby we did a spoonful of prunes daily once the baby was on solids.

0
5 12

My nanny heats up olive oil, onion and a tiny dash of salt. Let it cool and give it to them in a syringe orally. Cleans out my son every time without fail!

0
3 11

For children still on a bottle, add an ounce of dark Karo syrup. You can always increase the amount if you need to. Mandarin oranges also worked well for my son.

0
2 36

Prune juice-a teaspoon was enough for mine!!!

0
8 80

tinned fruit in syrup worked wonders for both of mine.

0
3 9

I am a mother of three children. I have applied "asafoetida" and it worked very well. In Hindi asafoetida is known as HING.
METHOD : Take about half tsp asafoetida in a table spoon and add 3-4 drops of water. Then heat the spoon in which you've put the substance. Don't burn the paste just make it warm. Then wait for 2-3 minutes and see that it's not too hot but bearable to apply. Apply this paste around the belly button of the baby and the tie his/her tummy with a cotton cloth. don't tie very hard to suffocate it should be comfortably tied. After sometime the baby should be fine.

0
1 21

A handful of fresh blueberries in the morning has helped my 3 year old immensely!

0
4 5

For my son we use fig cookies and apple juice.

0
1 0

We used pureed Apricots. Worked like a charm for us and it tastes good. Puree your own or buy it in the baby food section.

0
2 13

Infant Acidophilous! Can be found in any health food store. I use Udo's Choice brand. My son has been on it since he was 6 weeks old and HAS NEVER BEEN CONSTIPATED. He is now 5 years old and I still give it too him. It is all natural!

0
6 35

I give my grandson a prune a day to help ensure he goes!
He thinks they are a fun "treat" before breakfast, and the individually
wrapped package makes it seem like a treat!

0
8 3

Make sure toddler is hydrated, and eating fruits and veggies. Movement helps with constipation, so get them walking around, playing more if they aren't super active. The Maya Abdominal Massage is a life saver for a lot of different problems, and works great for little ones, and any massage to the tummy is going to increase circulation and help things move on. Slow, circular, moderate pressure is important, not too light, or it'll tickle, and too fast and might energize toddler, over clothes or on their skin, lotion or not.

0
0 18

When our son was introduced to new foods at 6 months he became constipated, after having the runniest diapers up until then. After trying prune juice and rubbing the tummy, calling the doctor and only talking to nurses. Finally, we were all frustrated so they told me to come in. The doctor confirmed that he was VERY constipated. Told me to try peaches. Apple/prune juice never worked on her daughter either. Simple. Worked like a charm. I just made sure he had peaches at least every other day.

0
0 0

My daughter has has problems with her stomach since birth. She is now 1 and she stays constipated. I use the old fashioned remedy of karo syrup in her milk!!! It works wonderfully. Andrea Allen, Belzoni,Ms.

0
14 19

I provide childcare for a nearly 3yr. old boy, and found the best success with him is prune juice. One small cup a day seems to keep him 'regular' (daily rather than every 5 or so days like he was doing) ;). I like to try the more 'natural' avenues before persuing medications, especially with a child. Medication, even OTC meds, are still manufactured....9xs out of 10 the natural remedies will work and are better for a person than anything else.

0
0 1

I had issues for months with this I hardly could stand the pain my son was in. We tried all over the counter meds. It didnt hlp much and almost had to use a sepository daily. I started just giving him a glass of prun juice a day it seems to help great and It makes him believe its not going to hurt so he tries insteed of just holding it in and crying.

0
4 18

My son has been constipated since he was born. I have had him on Miralax for the last year and a half. he is two and half now. He was formula fed and has had 3 rounds of anitbiotics in his short little life. We tried taking him off of dairy, it did nothing. We tried increasing veggies and fruit, he refused to eat it. What we have recently tried is a probiotic. The jury is still out on if it will replace the Miralax, but it has really helped him. I have never heard of Calfig. We may try that too. So glad to hear others have dealt with this issue.

0
1 16

My daughter became constipated at about 2 1/2 months old - and yes, she was only having breast milk. It was 10 days since she had gone, and she was crying and complaining all the time. Very smelly gas.
We tried all sorts of things, including rubbing her tummy (clockwise as I was told that the intestines are 'rolled' in that direction), and giving her prune juice (at this age, it was diluted like weak cordial) That night, she went, and WOW - how much can be stored in such a tiny body is incredible!

After that, we kept her on prune juice every day - only a small amount and diluted like weak cordial, and she was fine.

I sympathise with all the mothers who have this problem. It is uncomfortable for the child, and it can be distressing for the mothers as well, when you don't know what do do!

Another thing my mother told me, was to do a 'home made' enema. Quite easy and doesn't hurt the baby.
What can happen is that the canal is extremely dry, and what is at the front is very hard and dry too, hence it becomes painful for them to push out. All you are doing is helping to make the entrance slippery for them.

Give them a bath to relax them (skip this step if they don't like baths), then massage their bottom with sunlight soap (the one with the baby stamped in it).
When your hand is full of bubbles, gently press some of them into the canal. Hold the bubbles there.
You will feel your baby pushing against your finger. When you feel the poo touching your finger, move your finger, and your bub will do the rest.

0
2 0

a warm bath is suppose to relax the muscles to make it easier to go... murlax is good mix it in a drink.....and i have also put a little syrup in my kids drink and that works also.....

0
9 25

prune juice, applesauce, pear juice

0
14 15

Ok my son has had constipation issues his whole life. We have been giving Alex miralax (or the target brand depending on which is cheeper) everyday in his morning milk. We give him a tsp. if he is constipated and a 1/2 tsp every day after that. Its natural and perfectly ok! If he gets really constipated, we give him some yogart which helps get things moving. Also if you have a dog who has diarrea give him some yogart and it helps stop it!

0
3 11

We try to incorporate as many fresh fruits and veggies in our kid's diets, but we have always dealt with constipation. They get Pedialax Fiber Gummies every single day, and then one of my daughters also gets some benefiber powder. Our pediatrician warned us to not let them get constipated, especially with potty training. If you think about it, fiber is a good thing - so no reason not to use it. I am able to adjust the amount of fiber pretty well - for example, if they have some rice, I make sure they get a little extra fiber, because I can predict that they will be constipated.

0
11 62

I'm not sure how well it works for children - but whenever I'm constipated I drink milk. It will work within 10 minutes every time!

0
5 13

When my kids were infants, I used to puree some prunes and feed this to them by themselves and they loved it because it was sweet. You can also mix it with some of your other purees (squash, applesauce, etc). This is one of the most natural ways to help them have a poop that is also gentle on their little system. I used to give them the pureed prunes (sometimes mixed) everyday and it helped their body to get regular again. Now I don't have much trouble with constipation, at all.

0
19 38

My daughter now 6 y/o had trouble with constipation from 4 wks old. When I switched her from breast milk to formula (no choice - I dried up)....

Anyway, after many dr visits and miralax....and watching my baby in pain at 2 1/2 y/o after a screaming match with the dr (which yes did embarass my husband) I told the dr. to PROVE that it was normal constipation....I hated seeing my baby in that much pain and I KNEW something was wrong. He said the only thing he would think about doing is a Berium Enemia....So I told him to do it...against his "best judgement" and I think mainly to shut me up, he ordered one. The dr doing it told me that sometimes they are just too small in there and when they do this type of procedure it can "open them up"......Seeing my baby go through the test was NOT fun AT ALL.....but seeing the difference in her right away was well worth it. I would LOVE to go back to the dr and tell him off again, but I took the high road.....she's not had trouble since then.

0
3 6

karo syrup does not work. there are children's tiny enemas i buy at the store. they contain gentle ingredients like camomile and you gently insert into the child's rectum. within a minute you better put your kid on the toilet because everything comes out instantly. i do use miralax but i have to constantly use it and it doesn't always work. this works instantly and helps cure them for awhile

0
2 0

My son won't eat fruit so we had alot of troubles early on. We cut out white bread and now he eats multigrain and it's worked really well, although if he eats white bread more than once or twice in a row the problem comes back...

0
7 6

Add a tablespoon of prune juice to applesauce, yogurt, milk, whatever.

0