Should I pick a daycare near my work or my home?

There are pros and cons to having your daycare center be near your work or your home. What should moms consider when making this decision?

4 0

I work in a daycare and there are families in both situations there. I think you should pick a place where you feel completely comfortable with the people and program. You should also consider your commute and time of day. If you are not picking up until 5:30 or after and you have a child who may nap after a long day during a long commute, you may want to consider that. It may mess up their sleeping schedule if they begin napping so late.

4
1,638 0

Both are reasonable, but I think more people prefer close to home.

0
521 10

I always picked the one closer to home, in case something came up and I left work early, or if I needed a grandparent to pick my kids up and take them home for me. And what happens if you change jobs?

0
2 0

It depends on whether you pay for your daycare by the day or by the hour. To reduce the cost of childcare and make sure that my take home pay is as much as possible (as I only work 2 days a week), I researched daycare near my work place and opted for a place as near to my work as possible!

0
454 0

I picked one closer to home.. just felt like after work, I needed that drive all to myself.. and it also made my daughters commute shorter in the morning and the evening..

0
7 1

When my daughter was younger, I preferred the daycare closer to work - I could pop in if I wasn't traveling and breastfeed. When she got older, though, and I ended up changing jobs, it was a huge pain to take her 20 minutes each way to day care so we ended up switching to something 5 minutes from home. A stroke of luck was that they also offered full day Kindergarten (our public school system is still half day so it's tough on full time working moms).

One other thing was that since it was close to home, there were a few other kids going into the same school in First Grade so she already knew some of the kids there. It was a great transition for her!

0
28 43

It depends how far from work you live? If you cannot collect your child, can the person allowed to collect your child get there if it is near your place of work? If you are on holiday but child still at Nursery (ie daycare as I am in UK) (ie if u are spending the day doing chores) is it worth extra time to get to Nursery? You have to consider what is the best scenario. I'd personally choose it near my home as you may move to a diff office but not be able to or want to take child out of daycare so you would be all over town whereas if your child is in daycare near your home you can take them and go to work. Thats would I do anyway.

0
30 11

I always chose one near home. I work 25 minutes from home so I always felt like if I were sick and couldn't go to work I certainly wouldn't want to have to drive 25 minutes to drop my son off and then turn around and make that drive home to crawl back in bed!

It also has the added advantage that some of the friends he made will be going into the same elementary school with him!

0
16 8

We chose near home. This way, either one of us can drop off/pick up. Even though my job has been stable for the past 5yrs, my husband's work has changed multiple times. We have lived in the same house for 8yrs, so that is the more logical choice.

0
6 16

i chose one near home only cause i work out of y car.... and its easyier as i not lway in the office... but if i did work in the office more i migh get one in tthe middle,....'
you need to find one were the staff are happy and intercting with the kids...

i was told to always go and look b4 10am cause thas when the are generally playing and starting the activities fir the day... best way to work out if u lik the staff or not.. and dont book a time to come just drop in u will catch them by serprise and see what they really like..

0
20 46

I have the best of both worlds: my work is close to our home and so is the daycare. I mainly thought about the distance between my work and the daycare. I wanted to be able to get to our child quickly if something should come up. Both being close to home is a bonus :) But everyone's situation is different and this decision needs to be made for what's best for the family and child. I have several friends who have their kids in a daycare close to their homes but their work is further away.

0
20 46

Also meant to add that we plan on moving closer to the daycare so our child can continue to grow with the friends he's made so far and be in a better school system than what we're zone for where we live now so that's something to think about.

2 24

I picked a daycare near my work mostly due to the fact that I wanted him closer to me. I knew if something with the weather was going on and we were so far apart I would have such anxiety. I needed to know he was closer to me and I could leave my job at anytime to go get him or be with him if he was sick. I have never regretted that decision!

0
11 17

Home! It is much easier if you are too sick to go to work, you can still bring the child to daycare. Same if there are two children and one gets sick. Also, both parents can share the responsibility of pick up/drop off which is nice. I have only regretted the decision to be closer to home than to work one time, and it was when my daughter had gotten hurt at school and I was rushing to get to her. However, the convenience of day care close to home, outweighs the off chance that something could happen. Also one more pro: My kids have made friends with kids they will be going to elementary school with- made the kindergarten transition much easier!

0
6 0

As I am finding out now, with a 4 year old who is starting JK part time (and a 1 year old who will also be in daycare), you need to think about what you might be doing for before and after school care down the road. Given that our daycare does not offer bussing to and from her school, we are looking at juggling a very complicated schedule in the next school year.

0
4 2

It's better you find it near your work place if you working ,but if you are not working it has to near your home.

0
7 17

work....

0
16 17

We choose a daycare close to work. I planned on nursing when I returned to work. The facility I chose allowed me to come any time to nurse. My job was very flexible with me leaving. It was nice to visit my little one when I was missing her. My daughter is almost three and I still go and visit when I'm missing her. You really have to choose what is right for you and your family. Good luck!

0
68 13

I chose daycare close to work so that I could spend time in the car with our son going to and from work each day. I loved it especially now that he can talk because he can tell me how his day went etc.
We are now about to have our second and my husband is dropping him off/pick up daily and love it too but I miss it.
I did think about moving him closer to home but for the moment he will leave it as he has some little friends there and I don't want to change his life to much with a new baby coming.
In the next 12 months or so, I will look at putting him in somewhere closer to home as I will be not returning to work and that way he can spend a day or two in a day care place close to home so that he gets to meet some local children his own age before starting school.

0
2 2

I chose a daycare close to my home. My husband and I both do drop off and pick ups and we work on seperate ends of the city. It didn't make sense to pick a daycare so far away from where my husband could be involved. Also dependant on your job situation are you certian you will be at your position for several years? If you will be switching positions or if it's even a possibility than I would pick near my home. You wouldn't want to switch care providers because you switched jobs.

0
2 118

I had to make this decision too when I was pregnant because my job and home were pretty far apart. I picked a daycare near my work because the provider was a friend of the family and I felt more comfortable that my husband grew up with her and her family. She has done daycare for 15 years. Also, I knew that we would be moving in the next year or two, but I planned on being at my job for many years and/or moving closer to my job eventually. So it made more sense for us to have daycare near my work. I like that I am only a few minutes away. The downside is she has to spend more time in the car, but at least we get to spend it together! We have now moved closer to my job, so I am very glad we decided on a daycare close to my work and my daughter loves her daycare :)

0
8 46

Well a pro to having a daycare near your work is that if something were to happen you can get to your child quicker. Con the price may differ depending on where the daycare is located. I chose a daycare based upon the environment, staff and the ratings. The price is a little higher but since my son started going there (started Jan this year) he knows how to count, his colors and his speech has improved to where you can understand him. But take your child somewhere YOU as the parent feel comfortable. Convince isn't always best but some people choose it. Wish you luck!

0