Should I throw a party for my daughter's first birthday?

How did you celebrate your child's first birthday? Would you suggest having a party?

20 37

Yes. Milestones are meant to be celebrated. It's what makes us human. And a 1st birthday is a huge milestone, both for the child and for the parent. Something I didn't realize with my first until later (who is now six) is that although she didn't remember it, she has gone over the pictures from that day more times than I can count. The fact that we celebrated her first birthday is important to her. It set up a tradition in our family and she feels the love from that celebration every time she goes through the photo album. She makes me tell the story of her first birthday. What she did? Who was there? What we ate? So, in a way, she does remember it. It's a memory from her life and a celebration from our family life. Last year, when my youngest turned one I had a whole celebration planned and there ended up being a huge blizzard (worst one in 20 years) and we had to cancel. It was so close to Christmas that we were unable to re-schedule it. We did have cake & ice cream on her birthday, but no big party. So, knowing that eventually she would see the pictures from her sister's first birthday and have none from her own, we celebrated with a big 1/2 birthday bbq in June! It was a lot of fun & the weather was much nicer. I also know she'll see pictures eventually and we can tell her the whole long blizzard saga of her 1st birthday. I personally think it is important to create those family memories and stories, even when they are too young to remember the moment.

8
4 34

I did with my 1st child, but it was almost a disaster. He was so exhausted and overwhelmed by everyone that he had a huge meltdown until he passed out during presents. I felt bad for him, but it was fun to share with everyone when he was happy!

With my 2nd, we planned to do one and it just never happened. Instead we did Skype with our families so they could see him taste his cake and open a few presents. It was small and special and no meltdowns!

I'm pregnant with my 3rd and I think I will probably stick with just a smaller party with only family and a few friends or just our family to keep it simple. There are so many other birthdays to come and they don't remember the 1st one. :)

2
4 34

Our 3rd son is now turning 1 next month. I have decided now that we have a house and space to throw his 1st birthday party at home. We are inviting all the family and friends who have been a part of his first year and kids too. It will be a fall theme costume party being that he was born 2weeks before Halloween. Better get more use from the costumes. We are doing pumpkin painting (or potato head face parts for the little ones) and ball pit treasure hunt and straw play. Should be fun for him and guests! The pumpkins and treasure will be party favors as well. Should save a bundle and make great pictures! I just wish I could find more non Halloween theme pumpkin stuff for decorations. I will be serving either pumpkin pie or a pumpkin cake. I cannot wait! It is worth the effort no matter how big or small.

1 0

Sure it's great to celebrate her first year! Well done for all your hard work! I always feel that first year celebration is that of the parents. Do something that you would enjoy - with your friends, family or other new parents - with whomever you want to take a moment and celebrate that first stepping stone. It should be as big or small as it takes your fancy. I did a mega-big one for my first daughter and a small family one for my second. Both were exactly right for the moment, our circumstances and my energy levels! Celebrate that first year of life you shared with your precious baby!

2
0 10

I agree! Our son's first was at our home with family and a few close friends. Easy food we bought, no time to cook, and a cute cake. Keep it simple, celebrate your first year and your child's and don't try to do too much!!! Just have fun!

3 17

I just have one question for you. It's a celebration Why won't you, and the number of people doesn't matter.

1
3 9

We usually only celebrate with family members, but we celebrate birthday's up to 18 with cake, Ice Cream, presents and their choice of birthday dinner. After 18, not so much. My youngest daughter is autistic, so we just did a small princess theme party with a crown and some presents. My oldest daughter had a HUGE family party, all the cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and everything, but she was a preemie so it was very special.

1
2 17

yes but make it a simple family affair with cake and ice cream presents optional

1
153 0

We did for my one-and-only daughter, but we kept it small with just family (grammie's of course) and very close family friends (her God parents and witnesses). I doubt there wer 10 of us with a small birthday cake, but I'm glad I did, she has the pictures and wondered why, at about age 5, why her face had brown stuff smeared on it (Why! Chocolate cake of course! Grammy, having forgotten what one year olds do, served the birthday girl first while I was still cutting the cake, and my little one went face first into her slice of cake). She loves the memories and feelings those pictures evoke, even today at 15.

0
1 0

Every Birthday is one to be celebrated. Even at one, a small birthday party with a theme is fun. One popular First Birthday Party is a Ladybug Party. So many wonderful inexpensive Ladybug Party Supplies can be found at www.LadybugGiftStore.com

0
506 5

for my childrens first birthday we had a family celebration with close friends and family round but after that they didnt have a party untill they were at school then it was a few of their friends and no adults.

0
0 0

I wanted to do my doughter first birthday but im having second thoughts

0
52 0

I am unable to understand this that why you guys are so confused in throwing party like baby showers.Don't be confused in this . you must do this .
Baby rush creams

0
160 30

It's up to you! Don't feel peer-pressured into it if you don't want to.

I just invited family over for a BBQ. They brought some presents. It was more just a family visit. And I did the same for his 2nd birthday, and I'll do the same for his 3rd but this time with a cool cake since I think he's appreciate that this year.

Do what works for you because at 1, they really don't care and it could even be too much.

0
27 18

Our first son was born the day before Thanksgivings Day in 2000 so when he turned 1 on Thanksgivings Day the following year, our family celebrated and he got his first taste of Pumpkin pie which he loves to this day. We did not do a huge deal but we did have family over and we put a birthday hat on his head and he opened presents. He loves those pictures in his scrapbook. His name Donathon comes from the French name Donatien which means donation or gift.

Meg

0
0 0

I think of Birthdays as a Holiday and a blessing, every Birthday that God bless you with should be celebrated rather it be a big party or a little party. My children are 21 and 23. If they didnt get a party they got a cake and still get a cake on their birthday... people celebrate dead people birthdays, why not celebrate us who are alive. my one year old grand baby had a pool party with 4 other 1 and 2 year olds, it was so fun and she looks at the photo albumn all the time. seeing how family celebrate her and love her:)

0
10 3

Yes, I'd definitely throw a party and invite the immediate family. But no children unless they are cousins or other relations. I had a party for both children, about a dozen adults and my kids.

0
2 24

Birthday's should always be celebrated, but on a level that you want. Throwing a big party for them at 1 and 2 isn't for them, it's for you, but that's OK! We had family and friends for our son's 1st bday which is the end of Aug. The weather was great, we cooked out and just had fun, nothing planned. More of a get together. 2nd bday was smaller, and tis year for his 3rd we only did immediate family and some of his friends. Do whatever you think is right for your family and your daughter. Your personalities and feelings are what are important. Anything special that you can do and take pictures of for her and you to look back on will be great!

0
66 36

I had first birthday parties for both my boys and will for my daughter when she turns one. We always just invited family and close friends. There were never many really small children at the parties, and I could see where it would be overwhelming if there were a bunch of those. We kept things short and sweet. We just opened presents, ate the cake,and then us grown ups talked while we watched the baby play with the boxes everything came in :)

0
65 19

Oh yes!!! We went all out for her first birthday with all of our families being invited! We had the cake and ice cream as well as the little cake for her to mess up, had hats, pinata, prizes, balloons, lots of food, tons of decorations, and lots of love for our sweet baby! Everyone had a great time! we didn't have enough room at our home so we rented a small building with a playground nearby for the party.

Celebrating one's birth is such a big part of our lives - we lost 15 family members several years ago in 12 months time (LOL the year my hubby and I married) and almost lost my hubby's sister before that. Things like that make you realize how special each person is (and it gives us a great reason to have lots of yummy food and spend time with each other).

0
15 18

When my son turned 1 we did a party. I got someone to sit with him while we decorated, picked up the cake and got everything else ready! He got to have a nap while with the sitter (great-grandma to him) and didn't have any meltdowns. He wasn't to tired and had a great time. He is 2 and half now and loves to look at the pictures (especially the ones with icing all over himself) every chance he gets.

0
83 10

Of course! A lot of people say not to waste your time or money on a first birthday because your baby won't remember. But the party is about you and your family and friends celebrating another member. I threw my son a Cowboy party for his first. All the kids loved dressing up for it. I hand-made invitations and decor, like a sallin and jail and a corral for ponies. The kids loved the stick ponies and handcuffs and their little sheriff badges. I made simple summer food (hburgers, beans,etc), and was up all night before baking cakes and cookies. If you're not a great planner or not a great cook you may want to do something small or even have it catered. I think thats a little silly because party food can be so much easier and cheaper to make yourself. The most money spent on the actual party, sans gifts, was with thr party favors and goody bags. About $50 or $60. But the guests loved them. Everything turned out wonderfully and our family and friends had a great time. So did my son. In my opinion, the first birthday should be one of the biggest birthday celebrations. Let your child take a nap if they're grumpy during the party and don't be upset if they don't want to play any games. But we didn't have any trouble with my son being cranky or wanting to sit out because everyone was kept entertained.

0
57 38

I would say absolutely throw a party! We tried to keep it small, though, and invited only family and one or two friends from playgroup. We also tried to keep it short, and we planned it AROUND naptime, so we could avoid any meltdowns. People were surprised that we did a party at 10:30 am, but when your kid goes for a nap at 1, not much you can do about it!
It was important for me to make sure she could look at the pictures and know that we thought everything she did/does is important to us - even if it's just growing up!

0
18 10

I think it's very much a personal preference.

Personally I like to keep it to just close family, but as you can see from the other comments, other people would be mortified if they didn't have a huge affair!

So, go BIG if you want to, but only if YOU want to ;-)

0
8 26

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! My girls celebrate their birthday on Halloween and we had an awesome 1st birthday for them. Of course it was halloween themed for their first but I dont plan on doing every birthday like that. Make it simple, family and close friends and dont forget to let them dig into their cake!!!

0
12 11

SURE!!! Why not? It doesn't have to be a big blowout. Just some family friends and some other babies close to her age. Cake ice cream and maybe some wingettes or something to that effect. She's only turning 1 once. I had a small party for both of mine and we sat around and laughed at how they only played with the paper or gift bag rather than the gift. You can always record the event and play it back for her later in life, like when she brings her first boyfriend over lol.

0
11 21

Yes do celebrate. Have her playdate friends, cousins, neighbors over for an afternoon snack. Have some cake, ice cream, balloons and the like. Take a video of her blowing out the candles and take many pictures. Show them to her when she is older and tell her how she spent her first birthday. She will appreciate and love the fact that she has her own special day.

0
279 28

Yes.

Tips:

-Set it up at a good time of day (around naps)
-with mostly family.
-Make it short.
-Dont expect a lot.

Everyone likes to celebrate such a milestone and would be disappointed I'm sure if you didnt throw a small occasion. But make it easy.
We had close family and a few freinds with babies come. About 35 people in total. Had a BBQ, snacks and had a freind make her cupcakes. Had it from noon-3pm. At that time, she was napping from about 10-11 and again from 3-4 or so.

0
206 12

We threw a BIG bash for my daughter's first birthday! We had like 30 people there and she was more than fine with it. We had all friends and family that could make it and her little friends and everything, and it was awesome. It is true though that the first birthday is more for the parents than the child. They don't remember anything, but you do, and I love going back to look at the pictures. :) I would do it the same all over again!

0
8 5

Yes!! We had a huge party for my son's first birthday. Rented a hall and had almost 100 people. When all was said and done I think we spend about $800. He loves looking at pictures from his party. I will do this with all our children should we have more.

0
5 29

Any person from Hawaii who is reading this right now is thinking, "I can't believe she asked that?". In Hawaii it is the biggest party of a child's life, until they turn 21 of course, haha! My parents and I just had a huge 150 person luau to celebrate my #2's 1st birthday. It's a huge tradition. But do what you can handle. Small is ok top but every birthday should be a celebration.

0
9 12

For sure! It doesn't have to be a big one but you should have a bit of a celebration every year to show them how special their presence in your life is. I filled my oldest daughter's room with balloons one year, she woke up in a sea of balloons and sparklie princess things and said she had never felt so special..its good to show them how much we love them no matter the age. Its as much a celebration for you as it is for them "your biggest best accomplishment in life" is another year older!

0
15 9

most definitely. we had a party for Carmen and the whole family from both sides got together and her God Parents. She may not remember but she sees the pictures and it was such a great time for us all to get together and celebrate her being int he world for one whole year.

0
14 38

Yes, Even though she doesn't know what is going on .. it's still her 1st bday and is special !!! I had my daughter's 1st beginning of the year and just had family over to our house and we had lots of fun watching her open gifts and tear into the cake !!! It doesn't have to be anything huge =)

0
6 3

We had a party to celebrate my triplets' first birthday. It's a celebration for her and for you since you made it that first year. Your daughter won't remember this, but you will. I would have a simple gathering of family and close friends and take lots of pictures. We bought a photo album...one with lines to write next to the pictures. We had the guests sign the book and then we took pictures of them with our kids. It was a lot of fun and I think something that they'll enjoy looking at when they are older.

0
40 36

YES! The 1st birthday party is a milestone and to me is one of the most important ones to have! It depends on your budget of course but having at least balloons...everything decorated, and games for a few kids should be fine.. The first one I did at home with over 80 people which was a bit crazy and I don't recommend. All the other ones Ive had at other places like lil gym, gymboree, etc...

0
344 44

sure...why not? it really depends on the parents for its more of a party for u anyway but with all the pictures she will have the memories forever. we celebrate milestones and turning one is a BIG ONE. I gave my son a first birthday party and even though not a lot of kids showed up it was still fun and there was alot of close family who came to celebrate. for my daughters first bday we are having a costume party for its so close to halloween. we have about ten kids invited some family others close friends and then her birthday falls on my grandmothers birthday so other close family will be there as well. i don't see why not but then if u just wanted a family birthday that is great as well :)

0
1 18

YES!! I think you should give her a party, it's her first birthday and it's a milestone. I had a small party in my apartment with grandparents and a few of his playdates so I had maybe 10 people but it was still exciting. I think all of her first you should celebrate.

0
10 7

That's completely up to you and your family. We did and, and ended up spending way too much for people who we really didn't even want to be there with us, like the obligatory great uncles and 3rd cousins, who complained about everything. My suggestion to you would be to have something super-small, like only invite the people closest to you, get her all dolled up so you can take plenty of pictures that you will absolutely cherish forever. Have it catered; do party-sized sandwiches and salads. I cooked for mine, and that added so much extra stress. And lastly, make the party short, like 3-4 hrs since babies tend to get pretty cranky after a few hrs of craziness. Keep in mind this will more likely be an adult's party, since 1 year olds don't have many friends. So make sure you mostly cater to your adult guests needs, they will be the ones to remember it.
Good luck, and have fun!!

0
4 11

Yes you should have a birthday party - take lots of pictures as your child will like to see them when they get older. I knew that I was having a girl so I saved all my decorations from my baby shower and then used them to decorate for my daughters 1st birthday. I placed photo albums around the room so my guests could look at pictures from the day she was born. I put a little bit of work into it and only had my closest friends and family, it turned out really nice. Looking back at the pictures it looks neat having the same pink theme using the same decorations from my baby shower to Addison's 1st birthday. For my shower there were pictures of me as a little girl around the room and I replaced the pictures of me and put Addison - it was really special.

0
25 24

Yea, it is a fab way to show the people closest to you have changed by ur doing and how much you have acheieved in the last year.

0
13 22

you celebrate her milestone and your accomplishment of surviving the first year!!!! not a large gathering and get a separate "smash cake" for them to have fun with while the grown ups get a slice of clean cake. congrats and enjoy

0