Is a television OK in a child's room?

Would you allow your child to have a television in their room? Why or why not?

6 0

I have raised two kids now 26 and 30. They are both on their own - educated, married and have their own homes. When they asked me how old they would be when they had their own TV (telephone, computer, even small refrigerators) in their rooms, I asked them how old they would be when they could buy them, have a house or dorm room to put them in and pay the electric bill to run them? We had a cordless phone, TV's in the family room, kitchen and living room and a central family computer.
Worked then, and will work again - we are currently raising our 5 year old daughter and she doesn't seem to have an issue. She sleeps just fine - we read at least 30 to 40 minutes every night in the big rocking chair near near her bed. Then we sing some songs, tuck her in and she drifts off with her favorite doll a few books at her side.
Sorry to disagree, but good books have always worked. We let her watch TV, but it is limited and rarely commercial.

45
3 0

I feel so sorry for your children. You are a horrible and depriving person.

18 0

NO,NO and NO! TV is something that should be limited and not used to help a child fall asleep or used as a tool. A child's bedroom should a quiet place reserved for quiet imaginative play,reading and winding down at bedtime.TV should not be used as a babysitter.

37
4 0

I agree 100 percent. Kids get overloaded with electronic things.

18 0

Having a TV in our oldest son's room was the worst parenting mistake my husband and I ever made. As a teen, he would go to his room, turn on the TV and tune out the family. He never developed good reading habits either.

Our younger kids, now teens, will never have a TV in their room, and interestingly, they are all avid readers. We have a large TV in the living room and share time together selectively watching certain shows or movies. It is never on as a 'companion' or as 'background noise." That's what music is for!

32
1 20

The horrible parenting part is you automatically judging your younger kids based off of the oldest behavior! You as a parent need to understand each child is different and so needs different parenting, some kids you have to be on top of others not so much! I have two kids 6 and 8 and they have had a tv in their room since they were toddlers just mainly for movies here and there or when they have friends over other than that my 5 soon to be 6 yr old son reads dr suede books word for word and beginning to end! Him and his 8 yr old sister love reading... All it boils down to is PARENTING!! If your oldest son was trying to tune yal out with the tv that wasn his fault it was YOUR fault for allowing it!-- that's when you take the tv out and explain to him it's a luxury and until he changes his attitude he won't have that luxury! But seriously DO NOT JUDGE YOUR OTHER KIDS BC ONE OF YOR CHILDREN U LET GROW UP AS A BRAT! Js

1 0

My kids, who are now grown, both had televisions in their rooms. I allowed a DVD player and antenna access, but no satellite. It provided some respite from watching the movies the kids loved, but once was enough for me. Most of the time, though, they continued to watch TV in the family room with me. Obviously, I don't find a problem with kids having a TV in their room as long as there are rules associated with them.

21
1 45

Sounds pretty much like me and my boys. There is only so many times i can watch yi-gi-oh or The Amanda Show with out screaming. That is pretty much the only time they us their tvs are when im watching the tv and wont give in .

1 0

No. Children watch too much television as it is. If they want something to do before they go to sleep let them read or read to them.

20
0 0

I also wank my children

0 3

Yes i would allow my son who is two years old to have a tv in his room. He loves disney jr. And while im getting ready i cut on the tv and it wake him up. He will sit still and interact with the show s until im ready to get him ready . I will get him dressed and we will both laugh and joke and interact with the shows such as Mickey mouse. Besides everything i watch on my tv may not be appropriate for him to watch so he should have place to watch educational shows ... even though 9/10 all the tvs are on disney

14
0 0

My kids watch porn so I can't do that stupid fucking shit

5 8

My child will never have a tv in her room. IF we watch television, we do it in the living room (& all shows are pre-approved by me), & it's usually only for an hour. My daughter is an avid reader & had quite an imagination, which I don't think would've developed if she watched more tv. She sleeps well, typically 11-12 hours a night - she has no distractions & doesn't rely on the sound or background noise to relax. We always have girls' night on weekends when we watch a movie or 2 together (makes the tv a special treat). I would not want her to spend time away from the family in her room, by herself, watching tv, & I would not want her to see anything inappropriate for her age. I would rather encourage reading books & playing games together. She will never have a tv in her bedroom while she is living in my house. :)

14
0 0

Stuck up bitch

5 0

All 3 of my children have had TV's (no cable) and they have grown into gifted and talented and well adjusted kids. They interact with family, have friends and play like other kids. TV is just an extra like any other extra. They use it to unwind for an hour before bed (like I do) and they have recently discovered some of my old favorite movies and musicals. It fun to talk to them about what they liked or to hear them quoting from it or singing songs from them. Has given us a whole new topic to discuss. I think they like hearing about my childhood memories around those movies or shows too.

13
172 54

My child is gifted also - but, he has a TV in his room AND video games. One thing does not have ANYTHING to do with the other!

1 0

My children (6 and 10) each have a T.V. in their room (and have had for years) but at the moment they only have the option of watching DVDs as we recently canceled our satellite service. We've never had the problem of midnight viewing or neglecting the family. Now, they have access to a few channels of broadcast T.V. in our office, Netflix (either in the office, living room, laptop, or iPad), or watching a DVD. My son (10) is reading at an 8th grade level, and has been on the honor roll at school for the past two years. My daughter (6) loves to read/be read to and also does very well in school (they don't have letter grades yet). We teach them that there is an appropriate time for things and that school is important. They know that they need to get up early every morning and to do that, they need sleep. They also see what happens when kids don't have rules, are allowed to stay up late and watch whatever they want on T.V. Some of the neighborhood children (and their parents) don't get up on time to get to school, have behavior problems, and have been held back in school. I don't see T.V. as the enemy. It's how you raise your kids that makes the difference.

9
5 0

I agree completely. Both my kids are straight A's students and know that their is a balance between TV watching, socializing and playing outside. It's all about teaching healthy choices and understanding the consequences of unhealthy ones. I want them to become adults who can do that for themselves.

21 18

ive just cut tv and dvds out for my 3yo. found he was watching too much of it, mostly movies in the morning when he got up early but would ask for them again and again..... and it has been three weeks so far and he is calmer then he was and more gentle with his baby sister and he plays longer and nicer games .. even more dramatic play/roleplay :) im not a huge fa of kids watching tv, i wouldnt think it to be a good idea to have one in the room :)

6
2 32

AAP says it's a bad idea (no TV in children's rooms, and no more than 1-2 hours of tv in a day for older children) based on research not anecdotes or personal experience. It's worth noting.

6
4 0

TV doesn't belong to any bedroom. Bedroom is for sleeping, reading, doing mental work, not for watching stupid TV shows and series. Disaster!

6
0 0

My 7 year old daughter has had a tv in her room since she was 5. It has a dvd player and we also have it attached to the cable. However, I have parental locks on all but the typical children channels. She also knows what she's allowed to watch and what she isn't. For instance: No spongebob. She has a wonderful imagination, loves to do artwork, dance, play w/dolls, read. She's always active and rarely watches much, it's usually just background noise. The Wii is on our family tv in the living room and she's much more into her children's games on it than too much tv. My philosophy is that the child wants what they don't have. If you let them have it, within reason, it becomes something that is not really worth the effort of fighting over. Please don't get me wrong...I'm not talking about spoiling in ANY way. I had a tv in my room while I was growing up, but I too rarely used it. Actually, my old tv is in her playroom and it only works with video tapes...remember those? =) We have some older disney movies that she pops in while she plays with her barbies, dolls or with her kitchen. Again, just basically background noise.

6
0 16

agree my son and neice that are 2 love watching Disney in the morning.They have actually learned alot from the shows. My son has a tv in his room.So that they can watch there movies and shows in the room.Even though they watch tv, we still read stories and color and do other activities.Even having the tv in the room has not had any harm.They are both very imagative and they talk very well.They know there number,colors and shapes.Plus me and both my brothers had tvs in our room.We still liked to go and hang out with the family.SO I dont see the problem of having one in my kids room.

1 19

My son has a tv in his room with no cable, just DVD player. He will go in his room early some nights to watch a movie and then when ready for bed it gets shut off. There are times when he is playing in his room and it is on in the background. He is seven and this a new thing for him. We never let him fall asleep with it on.

6
67 26

I say no. Put a reading light & music instead. The child will be more prone to read and will likely get more rest.

5
20 0

We dont- we also limit tv during the week to one, maybe two shows- thats it. There is not much worth watching and frankly I like interacting with my kids instead of putting them in front of the tv- if I wanted that, I wouldnt have children. There is so much to discover, read and do, that tv is the bonus maybe on the weekends and we have discovered that even then it stays off most of the time. tv in the bedroom - why would I not rather spend time reading with my kid? I understand that this is not for everyone, but we have raised 4 kids this way and they all have various interests, talents and are very outgoing and bright while being very polite- tv doesnt teach that

5
1 20

My nearly 4 year old daughter has had a tv and dvd player in her room since the start of last year, We put one in there as i was over watching the wiggles on dvd a million times a week. she mainly seems to watch it in the mornings and then just before she goes to bed. So to me it is okay to have a television in a childs room as long as they aren't in there all day and not interacting with outher families members. In saying that living with my parents the only time i had a tv in my room and it was only till my sister moved out was when my sister had her own money and that wasn't till i was like 15

5
56 25

my daughter is 3 years old and she has a tv in her room it has no satellite connection but it does have a DVD and VHS player. Most of her movies were mine as kid and i have no problem with letter her use them. She does not always take naps anymore so for me it is a small quiet time so i can get things done. Other than that she doesn't play in her room she has a room full of toys that has no TV in it so she only watches TV sometimes. She is even advanced in academics for her age they told me if the district would allow her to start kindergarten she could but not till she is 5

115 28

it really depends on the child. i was very set aganst it but when my 4 1/2 year old (now 6) was still fighting till all hours to go to sleep then getting up again at 5:30am i gave in, now he gets his stories and gets to watch about 20min of tv, then lights out he almost always goes right to sleep, he just needed that time alone to wind down. and in the morning what ever time he gets up he can watch tv untill 7am. before that it was constant moody grouchy boy but that extra (he goes to bed around the same time but thinks he gets extra but really a bit earlyer) wind down time and forced lay and relax time in the morning have changed his mood for the better, and mom and day get the bit of extra rest we need to face the day and be the best we can.
it may not be for everyone but it was a great compermise for our family

5
14 40

My 5 year old has a tv but only with a dvd player. I think to each his own. You are gonna get all kinds of answers. You need to do what YOU think is best because ALL kids are different. My daughter still loves to read and play outside. She doesn't watch it a lot.

4
2 13

I have an almost 3 year old. We bought her a queen size bed and a television just before she turned 2. . . Guess what, she wants to sleep in her own room. We allow her to watch one 20minute story before bed time, then we turn off the television and she sleeps. This was the best thing we did to move her out of our room. She doesn’t watch television in her room during the day. She can play by herself and she has one huge imagination. She started to speak full sentences due to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse when she was 1 and half years old. She can (now) count to 20. She knows about 12 rhymes, she knows shapes and sizes. So, if television in her room is bad for her… I surely can’t see it.

4
0 0

Let's face it.. Every question on here really depends on the child.
I have always been a firm believer that bedrooms r for sleeping... "I " can not have a tv in my room.
But my 6 year old cant fall asleep without hearing voices in background.
We do not have cable.. She can not do anything but watch DVD
Do during the school week I have a set of DVD that teach kids sight words.
She listens to that and falls asleep in less than 10 min.
On the weekend it's free to DVD. My kids hardly get any Tv time.
We do not have bed times on weekends either.
My kids make awesome grades, they r respectful, polite, sweet kids who r very well behaved.
All kids r diff in what they can process and understand
My 6 year old saw zombieland in theaters b4 she had even seen Peter pan
She does not get into Disney movies... She was 4. When we saw it.
She loves scary movies. She sleeps with no lights in her own bed with no nightmares.
She knows it is not real.
End of story.
You know ur child better than anyone. If they r mature enough to handle a tv... Get a tv
Ur business, no one else's

4
1 33

I had a tv in my room when i was 2 years old and I turned out pretty great. My son is 2 and likes tv just like I did. He gets a tv for christmas.

4
9 20

We are considering allowing a tv in our sons' room just so that they can play on the Wii without locking up the "family" tv. No cable, not even an antenna, but as much as we enjoy playing on the Wii as a family, our children have a higher tolerance for it than we do.

4
10 7

I allowed a tv in the bedroom when my 3 daughters turned 18, as seniors in high school. I figured that they would be going off to college in the fall and I was slowly giving them responsibility since they would be making all of their own decisions soon. As an educator, I see kids reading less and less and spending more time being passive and watching tv, playing on computers and cell phones. When there was a big birthday sleepover I would give up my room with the tv for the girls to watch movies, etc. Under no circumstances should kids have a tv in their bedroom. They are not mature enough to make decisions about what is watched and what time it gets turned off. Invite them to get in the habit of reading before turning off the lights!

4
6 11

There is nothing wrong with moderate television viewing. I think that for many children the medium is often background noise to their activities. I do think that it is a parent's responsbility to monitor and curb the amount of viewing that a child does.

Here's something to consider. I work with preschoolers and one of the repeating stories that I hear about why a child is tired, is due to viewing television shows when they should be asleep. I have had parents share with me that their son or daughter was discovered watching television in the middle of the night. Some of my parent unplug the set when it is time to go to bed, only to discover that their child is smart enough to plug the set.

I think that adding a television set into a child's room is a matter of knowing how your child interacts with t.v. I believe that we all need balance in our lives.

4
20 0

if it realy is the back ground noise that they like, then I have to question why? I have noticed that alot of kids have "something" on in the background- they have not been taught to enjoy the quiet or their own company without anything- kinda sad realy, so in reality, the balance we speak of is not there

3 9

My son is 6 and has a tv in his room, but it is monitored. It is not allowed on during the school week, and is allowed on the weekends. Most of the time it is just background noise because he is to busy playing, or reading. I think it is okay as long as you monitor it. The TV can become a good reward for good behavior and grades. No one says you have to let them turn it on constantly. You are still the parent and if they abuse it you can take it out as easily as you put it in. I also don't think having a TV in their room is the excuse for extra pounds on a child. Mine has a tv and is not obese or overweight. I monitor and limit his TV time, he plays sports, and continues to stay active. Again, you are the parent and can set the rules for the TV usage. Hope this helps! :)

3
3 11

Yes i will and do have a tv in my daughters room. She is 3 and occasionally watches tv in her room. There are rules and she knows if she breaks them the tv is gone. So far she hardly pays attention to it and most of her tv time is in our family living room where i controll how much tv she gets. She is active loves to read and intereact with others. There is nothing wrong with having a tv in kids rooms if there are rules and consiquences. I grew up with a tv in my room and i turned out fine. I have accomplished many things so far in my life. Having a tv in her room gives me some quiet time and helps wind down other kids that come over for the whole day when its "quiet" time!!! If your child has a tv in their room and the child has issues, in my opinion only i believe the parents are lazy in teaching their children about the rights and wrongs of tv.

2
3 12

I say no and here is why. Kids have so much now days and television is just one of many things that are in excess throughout homes. I think that it distances families because kids go there and just vegitate instead of being a part of the family. I want to monitor the shows/games that my children watch or play because there are things that they just do not need to see or play at an early age. Imagination is a gift that should be nurtured and cherished for the short amount of time that they are young. As they grow into pre-teens and teen agers why give them an outlet to distance themselves from family when truthfully they need it the most. It is hard enough to connect to your child in this age of technology I just don't feel that it is necessary and takes us away from the family atmosphere that I grew up with.

2
11 2

It is up to each individual parent to decide whether or not a TV should be allowed in their child's room. Asking multiple people will not give you the correct answer because this is only something you can determine for yourself.

As for me, my girls have had a TV in their room since they were old enough to enjoy TV. I bought Baby Einstein-type videos for them to watch. I also would put on some Sesame Street, etc. I would limit the amount of TV time they could have and they were never allowed to use that as a sleeping-aid. I never viewed their TV as a babysitter, but rather a teaching aid.

I always treated them like adults and never felt I had to monitor what they watched (like some parents who've commented yikes). Today at 16 & 17, they are talented and intelligent teens who also love to read. They are far better than their counterparts so I've done a good job :) and I think our usage of TV did not affect them in any negative way.

2
9 11

I think a television in a child's room is fine. There can still be limitations on how much television your child watches. During the school week my kids do their homework when they get home and after read up until about 7pm. At 7pm they can watch television until 9pm which is there bedtime. On the weekends I allow them to watch as much television as they want. The reason I allow this is because they have very good grades. If they had bad grades than things would change. It depends on your child. If the television hinders your child from progressing than maybe its a bad idea.

2
2 10

My son is 10 and has a tv in his room...when it's time for family time he knows. When it's time for home work and I say the tv goes off he has no problems shutting it off. My son is a very avid reader and having a tv in his room does not deter him from doing what he has to.

2
19 72

Well here's our little eye opener....we let our son have a tv in his room to watch movies. Freed us up to watch whatever in the living room which was great til our teen nephew moved in and we found porn in his room. Oh and he was staying in the room with the tv and DVD player. A 4 hr DVD and it wasn't rated G Disney either. So needless to say, I learned that for me and my house: no tv or DVD or computer or internet access on cell phone will be permissible for our dependants. Period.

2
2 0

We didn't put TVs in our young children's rooms because we wanted to be able to monitor what they were watching & we didn't want to have them cooped up in their rooms & not interacting with us as a family. When they were in high school, we did give in & let them have TVs in their rooms but they were all ready enjoying watching certain programs with us so we did have some time enjoying movies & TV programs. When they want to watch Dancing with the Stars or some other such nonsense, they can do that in the privacy of their room & I don't have to suffer through it!!

2
1 0

My children have Tv's in their rooms but no aerials so can only watch DVD's & Videos..They have half an hour of tv at weekends before sleep time & they know when to turn it off..They also watch a fair bit of tv downstairs especially my 2 year old,who has learnt so much from watching certain shows..They know some spanish from watching Dora & My older 3 love Horrible Histories which has really helped them enjoy history..There is some rubbish on tv but also some very good educational stuff too

2
10 3

My 9 year old daughter is getting a tv in her room. My youngest has Autism and insomnia so he relies on the tv as a quiet and safe activity for those 3am to 6am hours when I am just not ready to get out of bed! However, he is incredibly rigid with routines and there is no additional tv time during the day (which is full of school, therapy, and appts) but this also means that my 9 year old daughter can not watch tv at anytime. So she is going to have one in her room with rules on its use. It will not have satellite or cable, and will be removed if her good behavior declines. In our house, she is encouraged to take time alone in her room, its her sanctuary-the only place her brother cant bug her! So for us, the tv in her room is great-a tv in his would be terrible. I agree that its really a matter of parenting style and each childs unique personality and needs. Unlimited access for a child who will sit in front of it all the time is a terrible idea.

1
243 64

I think it depends on the child. We have a TV in the room of our four year old child, but it is for DVDs only. She still mostly watches TV in the living room. It doesn't interfere with her sleep or reading. We also had a TV in our teen son's room, but again, only for DVDs and video games. He still read a lot. We also made sure his homework was done before he turned it on. As they get older, you have to monitor it more.

1
40 0

I have a six year old who is in second grade at a year round school. She skipped kindergarten last year at a different school and this year, she's already making As. I'm so proud of her. She does have ADHD and we were told by her doctor that it isn't good for kids to watch too much tv or play video games, because it can make the inattentive symptoms worse. I can see that with my daughter, because she loves Mario and will play for hours if I let her, which I normally don't. She's had a tv in her room since she was 2, but she reads above grade level and has since the beginning of kindergarten last year. She watched a lot of Noggin (Nick Jr.) until she was 4.5 and now she still likes those shows, but she watches mostly Disney Channel. Anyway, my point is that it does seem to depend on the child, so everyone that is saying it should be one way or another, please simmer down and respect other parents. We are here to support each other, not call each other crazy. To each their own.

1
40 0

I'd like to add that we have caught her staying up late watching tv, but that's when we took the tv out for a few weeks to punish the behavior. It doesn't happen often.

5 8

My three year old has a tv in his room, no cable or satellite just a DVD player attached to the tv, we usually put cars on for him at night and he goes to sleep. Lately we have been dealing with behavioral problems, so in his room right now for a week is just his bed, no toys and no tv for him, hr can play with his toys in the living room but not when it's time to sleep.

1
2 3

There is no problem with it as long as you monitor their use. My daughter is 7 and has one in her room. She only watches it once in a while. Most of the time we all watch TV together in the living room.

1
23 26

I would have never given my son a tv so young three, but him has spent most of his life in a noise hospital were they use tv to drain sound so he has gotten used to it, so to get some sleep for all he has one...

1