Tips for dealing with a child's dry skin

When your little one has dry skin, whether on the scalp or all over, shampoos and soaps can irritate, and many of the adult products on the market are too harsh or full of harmful chemicals. How have you dealt with a child's dry skin?

0 0

My son has very dry skin (eczema) and I work for a dermatologist so I get o see what really works for kids. My sons eczema is under control now but what worked for him was using a cortisone cream for a few days, until it caled down, and moisturizing. Now we just make sure to use a gentle cleanser, like Dove, and give him luke warm baths, not hot. Immediatly after he's out of the bath we use Cerave Cream to moisturize. Its important not to wait longer than 10 minutes after they're out of the bath. Using a humidifier in his room at night has also made a huge difference. I even stopped using it for a week and he started itching a little.

4
1 24

My kids have a common form of dry skin called keretosis pylaris(kp). It is really common and looks like a rash. Our dermatologist said do not use oil, use a cream like cetaphil. It has worked really well for my 4 yr old, but seems to be taking longer for my 2 yr old. Good luck.

4
15 10

My son has ickthyosis yes like the fish issue but its a type of eczema and we were told to use Amalcatin - you can get it at Costco. It worked so much better than cetaphil . I used to make my own lotion with pure coco butter, Intensive moisture repair from avon, cetaphil and Eucerin Sever Dry skin - place in a blender until smooth for during the winter. Also NO HOT BATHS or long ones. Only every other day if possible but as a teen that doesnt work so we limit it to no more than 10 min tops.

9 0

Melaleuca lotion is by far the best. My daughter would break out in these uncomfortable and itchy rashes when she was younger. We tried everything: Aveeno, Vaseline brand, Eucerine, Burts Bees, etc. and no matter what, she would cry during bath time and after because she said it would sting so badly. One week, I was at Target every single night buying a new product for her to try just hoping we would find something that worked. We finally gave in and try a topical steroid cream at her doctors request and that did absolutely nothing. Then a friend told me about Melaleuca. That was 3 years ago and she hasn't had a breakout since. We solely use Melaleuca's lotion and body wash as well as other products like detergent and these have prevented her break outs. We will never use anything else and I tell all my friends about them. They are awesome. Feel free to inbox me with any questions...happy to share my story. :)
Hillary :)

3
0 17

Where do I fine it. I have a granddaughter that has the same problem.

16 0

I'm an esthetician and this applies to anyone -
1-Stop bathing daily, most kids can bath weekly, adults every 2-3 days. It dries out the skin.
2-Right after a shower or bath pat dry and massage in oil (baby oil, olive oil, cooking oil - doesn't matter.) Don't slather use a little bit to re-hydrate.
3-If skin is cracking use Lanolin, put on cotton gloves and sleep with it overnight.
4-Eat 75-90% fruit or veggies with every meal. This has a largest impact on the skin and you'll see the difference.

**watch out that you do NOT use creams with Hyaluronic Acid in the winter, on airplanes or in low moisture areas. If it cannot find moisture in the air it will wick it away from your body. Doing the opposite of what you'd like.**

Good luck.

3
0 0

A good body massage before bath with any oil be it mustard oil, baby oil or coconut or olive oil and then using a mild soap will help in relieving dry skin problems.

2
95 35

My daughters skin is like an alligator, she itches to the point of making herself bleed. I am going to test out some of these suggestions and I am hoping it helps. I use cortizone creams when she has cuts from the scratching, but any lotion with ANY scent what-so-ever causes her serious pain and she screams and crys... Even the baby lotions, aveeno lotions and the all natural ones that claim they are scent free cause her pain. :(

1
2 0

Flax oil, 1 tsp a day for infants, 1 tbsp a day for 3 years and up. We mixed it in oatmeal at breakfast and it worked like a charm.

1
0 0

A must is to use only pure safe and beneficial products...most have mineral oil in them and its toxic and clogs the skin. Causes all kinds of reactions. And or most have no benefit to the product. I use only Arbonne for so many reasons and it works so well. I have all kinds of tips for healthy skin and bodies. Let me know if you have issues w sensitive skin, acne or itchy skin. I am a wellness coach -happy to help all moms!!!! 925-808-9431
www.trishmuegge.myarbonne.com

1
0 0

Here are the tips I do and has kept all of us with Eczema keep it under control. We put a few drops of the Arbonne baby oil (all botanical) into the bath... sit and soak for a while. Then when they come out I quickly lather them up from head to toe. It drys fast! By the time the 2 boys are done running around its dry. At night we wash face with the Arbonne baby wash and then ill put either the lotion or oil (sometimes just mix a little of both) over their face -arms and hands. Feels amazing...not only does it penetrate (which is key because that is what you want it to do. Most over the counter lotions/oils/washes have a lot of preservatives and harmful ingredients that dont allow the good ingredients to penetrate. Our eczema was gone in a week. And i do the super quick oil and lotion daily to help prevent it from flaring up and coming back. (my world changed when my 2 year old had cradle cap and the dr said "oh just put some oil on it". Thats all she said. My sons hair dresser said, UM NO!!! you dont want any oil. Never put anything with mineral oil on it. Never use certain products that are toxic. She named a bunch of healthy ingredients that are natural and pure...so i called my friend who said she was representing a health and skin care company- asked her what she had for babies. SHE said the best products ever,.. she had been using the arbonne baby line for years. Worked on all kinds of skin issues she had and her kids. So with the awesome discount deals I got the entire line for like $50 dollars...all kinds of great products and i have never used anything else. LOVE it! All kinds of movie stars use arbonne. Pure Safe and beneficial !!!!

0 6

coconut oil!

1
33 3

My 1 yr old son had severe eczema resulting in open weeping sores all over his body. After seeing 5 different doctors and spending too much money on creams and lotions that either burned him or didn't work, we found the cure.. VASELINE! Every doctor would tell us something different and then try to prescribe him steroids, which i didn't think was healthy for his little body. We had also tried all natural products and other things suggested like baby oil and nothing showed results. I had heard that vaseline works wonders and boy am i glad i finally tried it. It helped him clear all those sores. We now use a thin coat of vaseline in the morning and at night before he goes to bed, just to keep his body moistorized and prevent any sores since he still gets dry skin. The vaseline as well as staying away from dairy products (we noticed dairy makes him break out in a rash) and having a bath every other day, sometimes every 3 days, has kept him from getting a sore in over 5 MONTHS! The vaseline does tend to ruin his clothes, especially his pajamas since we put a little more on at night, but ruined clothes are nothing to hearing my baby laugh and play again and not be in constant pain.

1
1

My 8 years baby bt his skin is very dry andon the face is white spots pls tell me homeo treatment

0
2 0

Please help.......I have a 4 year old boy, I am very concerned about his skin. This has been going on for about a week and a half and is getting worse. He started out with like a bumpy rash on the back of his arms so I was thinking dry skin. I was using Johnson's baby lotion every evening after his bath. Now it is on his face but has a darker red coarse appearance he screams out in pain when i apply lotion to his face or his arms, now its on his buttocks and also has the dark red appearance. I have tried desitin on his bottom, baby lotion, sss bath oil from avon, neosporin. I dont know what else to do to help his skin it is so painful for him. This morning I noticed his belly area and chest is starting with like a light speckled rash and when I put lotion on it ,he screamed that it hurts..ANY IDEAS PLEASE.........

0
29 0

When your child (or anyone for that matter) has a skin condition - the skin has to repair itself. The skin has to be given the opportunity to repair itself. How does this happen? It happens when you present the perfect environment for the skin.... Locking in the skin's own natural moisture while allowing it to breath with a permeable mask (almost like a breathable bandage) I have seen every single skin condition mentioned in this post healed completely with this one product. It's called Skincerity. Buy it from me... or form someone else...IT WILL WORK AND IT WILL CLEAR UP YOUR SKIN. 30 day money back guarentee...You have nothing to lose only clear beautiful skin to gain. Message me for more details.

0
0 1

My daughter (now 5+ years old) used to have dry skin since she was a toddler and she kept scratching every now and then until her skin bled due to constant scratching. I've tried using shower creme and moisturising cream of so many brands that are for eczema. She scratched lesser but the marks are still there and she still scratched a lot at certain time. Last year, I get to know about Eumora Skinhealth Bar that can help Eczema and many more skin problems. As a mother, I dont mind trying another product in a hope of lessening the pain and discomfort that my daughter had been experiencing. I used Eumora for her bath, twice a day. I was soooo glad that her scratching had lessen even after the first use. I continued using just Eumora for her bath, from head to toe until now. She is now a happy girl with no more scratching and her skin condition has improved tremendously. ~ Latiffa Muhamad

0
1 3

Have your water tested. I live in Florida and my son and I both have the red bumps from dry skin and even my hair was very dry. I went to MI for three weeks for a visit and noticed my hair got softer and the bumps went away for both of us. Came back home and they are coming back and my hair is drying out again. We are going to get a water softener and have our water tested.

0
0 0

I have a product that has worked well for my kids, and myself's, dry skin. It's Rodan+Fields Soothe line. Soothe Sensitive Skin Treatment calms redness and interrupts inflammation. Soothe Moisture Replenishing Cream replenishes skin's natural moisturizing factors. Check it out here: https://annariza.myrandf.com/Shop/Soothe

0
2 11

We started using neosporin eczema lotion on our daughter because nothing else was working. I not only only has it taken care of her dry skin but it has helped with her eczema spots as well. I with in three days she skin was completely clear and soft. I used this on her scalp as well

0
0 27

I have always used olive oil for my children from head to toes but with toes and hands also use extra protection like petroleum because they are washed so frequently. My child or I have not never had a break-out in the last 17 years:)!

0
0 1

Coconut oil works wonders for my little ones excema as well as diaper rash. It is also great for sunburns, heals very quickly.

0
0 0

My son has severe eczema and he has had it for 6 years and is now on severe medication to control it. However from day one i had a fabulous nurse who told me basics to help with any dry skin condition mild or severe. 1: never use purfumed products on the skin especially baby lotions bubble bath soap and shamoo eg johnsons. They dry out t. Go for non perfumed versions for sensitive skin. 2: moisturise the skin at least once a day to replace valuable fluids. 3: use mild detergents in the washing machine and no softners as this can irratate the skin. There are many other things you can do but these are the basics and help a great deal.

0
0 0

I use a balm that I make myself out of coconut oil, beeswax, and Calendula-infused Sunflower oil with an appropriate amount of Lavender essential oil. Beeswax helps soften skin; coconut oil softens & lubricates skin while reducing dryness, and Sunflower oil helps skin retain moisture. Calendula officianalis is known to promote skin health. It's a great balm for all skin issues! www.sweetandwoodsy.com.

0
0 0

Use olive oil for cradle cap and eczema. Gently rub olive oil on a baby's scalp and wash it out with a gentle shampoo. It works like a charm!

Olive oil can also be rubbed directly on the skin for eczema and dry skin.

As children age, use olive oil in the foods they eat. Olive oil is great for dogs too!

-Connie Reimers-Hild
askdrconnie.com

0
0 20

Try ARBONNE baby skin care line. Its not harsh on the skin and is made from all natural ingredients. If you want to know more just email me at wstoyko@sasktel.net . Arbonne should be a part of everyones life. It is amazing sin care line that has been around for over 30 years. Wendy an Independent Consultant.

0
0 0

By my experience after trying many prescription creams, remedies & lotions for my daughter’s eczema and rough skin areas the best product over the counter was AQUAPHOR Healing Ointment and CUREL for daily moisturizer, use it on damp skin after bath, or wet hands to apply them, a little of both lotions works great, or alternate. I also used Claritin or Zyrtek to control allergies. Eczema is an allergy that reacts ion the skin.
A good diet makes a big different, green apples, veggies and lots of water…. No sugary drinks,etc.
Good Luck....

0
0 9

my daughter has a two year old that suffers from exema in all her joint folds and under her nose we searched through and tried many products only one that helped sooth and clear it was hopes relief cream you can get shampoos and other products also it is readily available fromyour chemist or health food shops if they dont have it ask them to order it in for you hope that helps . sue

0
0 12

For my six year old we use coco butter favoured vaseline-which is great! and we add glycerine to her bath water when it is more severe. and if you are in the southern african region rooibos tea in the bath water is also very good

0
0 0

We love the Aveeno bath in our house, sometimes we couple it with baking soda as well. The best product I have used on my daughter is Eucerin's Calming Cream. It is hands down the best lotion to use. My daughter has exzema and gets very red and rashy during the winter. This got rid of it completely. Also Aquaphor is a great product, especially on lips and cheeks.

0
0 8

Totally love the Melaleuca products as well. My son also had problem skin. He puts the lotion on after he showers and he no longer has flare ups. When it was bleeding and bad we put the triple anti-biotic on and then used the lotion as it healed. He also used the body wash, spa and bath oil, along with the hand wash. I did have a customer that used our provex plus product (grape seed extract). She said her daughters skin condition was fixed under the eyes with the capsule and the rest of her skin with the renew lotion. Like Shelly said I think taking a look at your laundry is key.

0
0 0

Hi, my name is Jenny I've had exama all my life I'm 53 now I have damage skin from the steroids and yes you should try not to have to use them but there are times were there is a bad breakout were the skin is very red and ichie and cracking that you really do need to use the steroids course it's the only thing that's going to clam it down .oatment are the only thing you should us on the skin lotions are a big no no they make it all worse I use aquaphor ointment after shower or bath pat dry leave skin damp put on body all over also when I get ichie I use vaporub by Vicks it will claim the iche and help you sleep

0
0 7

For the reply on bathing once a week..... That
Does not sound healthy to me.... I bathe my six
Month old every second day and the day she
Isn't having a bath, I wipe her down. My three year
Old has a bath everyday to every second day...there
Skin is fine. I am an Esthetician as well and I
Was never taught that nore do I think that having a bath
Every second day will dry out your skin.

0
30 9

I use A&D Ointment.On my skin I use it on my hands and feet at night and wear socks on feet and cotton golves on hands and wake up in the morning to soft healed skin.On my grandson I just put a small amount.A&D vitiamines are skin replenishing vitamines and very good for the skin.

0
3 4

In South Africa we have a WONDERFUL product called Epizone A and Epizone E!!! Use one for shower (dont bath) and one for afterwards, and omega 3 oil in the diet, and eczema really disappears. Good Luck!!!

0
6 21

NewGenerations baby wash & lotion - by Neways Australia. - I order it online. VickiC.myneways.com.au

0
4 0

Melaleuca's Renew lotion series is one of the best for dry skin. They use no harsh chemicals in any of their products and I have seen children who have bad eczema become pretty much eczema free. Changing more than just your lotion is very important. Laundry soaps, bath soaps, hand soaps, etc., make a big difference. Besides that, they area green, safe company too!

0
7 2

Avon carries a wonderful fragrance free lotion that has gotten favorable reviews. When you get a moment check it out at this link http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?pf_id=43841

0
15 10

My son has itchyosis eczema and we use Amalactin lotion it also works really well on eczema that is just on the surface of the skin. I used it with my Great Aunt and for the first time she stated wow my skin finally feels nice.

0
3 1

After trying so many creams, aveeno, cetaphine, vaseline, olive oil..etc I am finally going to try Melaleuca Renew Lotion. I am in Australia, Sydney so if you wish to know where to get it you can contact me on etorres1313@gmail.com

0
1 0

If you or your kids suffer from dry skin, eczema, etc. You must try Celadon Road products! All products are natural, ecofriendly, certified organic. soaps, shampoo, body butter, baby lotion and baby wash, laundry detergent are the best. My consultant is Taylor
Her website: http://www.myceladonroad.com/TaylorPreda/

0
0 18

I found an amazing oil called Emu Oil. It soaks in really nicely without feeling greasy and gives fantastic hydration. Do some research about it and see its amazing properties. It has an abundance of uses from dry skin,excema,chapped lips,wrinkles,stretch marks,moisturiser. A little bit goes a long way and it can be kept in the fridge to harden so you can scoop a little out with a cotton bud to use. I found this oil a god send so shop around as I only paid around £5.00 on ebay for a small bottle that lasted about a year. Jacqui

0
30 9

as for emu oil,it is very expensive so we added a little to Avon Skin So Soft cream and it worked wonders for my mother in laws skin when she was alive.She was in her 60s and her skin was very thin so we had to be careful what she used.This worked wonders.

0 0

My daughter also has keretosis pylaris (kp) from head to toe. After bathing for two years with Cetaphil recommended by my pediatrician, I recently switched to Head & Shoulders shampoo. I know it sounds wacky but it was recommended by a friend so I tried it and its working. My daughters bumps/rash are starting to disappear. I am amazed. There is an active ingredient in the H & S. Afterwards, we still slather her with Aveno cream or Eucerine cream.

0