What advice would you give a mom who wants to be a mompreneur?

0 6

First of all I would congratulate her for taking the leap and making the decision to follow her dream.
There are many many advice out there that can help her build a successful business from home.

Having said that, I believe, as a mompreneur we don't have one business, but we are running two or more businesses at the same time. Our family is our FIRST business.

Therefor I would advice this mom who want to start her own business to learn HOW to manage both her Home & Business as efficient as possible.

There are 3 questions she can ask herself right now:
1- How many hours do I want to work?
2- When am I going to schedule these hours?
3- What do I intend to do during my working hours?

Even if we don't have a regular 9-5 hour workday, it is possible to get Big Things done in small slots of time.

Clarity and Planning is essential.

Charlotte Duzong
www.SmartCreativeMompreneur.com

0
0 0

Follow your heart! If you believe in your products, and love what you do, it will show and people will be naturally attracted to your items. If you are going to sell your products online, take excellent photos with natural light. Write clear, accurate descriptions and have fun being creative. Don't let work take over all your personal time...when you work at home it can be tough to separate the two. It's important to have time that is just for your family.

0
0 0

Jump in head first. I had just finished years of college in my chosen profession as a nurse, had a new job, following the path I thought I wanted for myself when I decided to abandon ship and lose all sense of sanity to open my own business on a whim. I didn't have the slightest clue what I was doing but I decided to dive in and give it a shot and I taught myself everything along the way. It was one of the craziest decisions I've made to date, just ask those in my 'circle' who were less than supportive.... but I'd love to hear what they have to say now... I get the last laugh, you know.

0
0 0

My best advice is to take your time and do it right. Explore options, do research and learn from others already in your field.

0
0 0

Think about what you love to do and explore ways to make money from it.
If you love what you're doing and are passionate about it, everything will
fall into place.

0
0 0

It is very natural to have the desire to create your own business after having a child. Life changes in so many ways after becoming a mom, and many women want to continue having a career, but also want to adapt their vision of success, their workday and frankly their every day experiences around their lifestyle as a mom. In addition, so many women go back to work and find that their job is no longer as fulfilling as it once was, and that they really want to devote any time away from their child doing something that they love.

These desires often fuel moms to pursue an entrepreneurial path, the path of the mompreneur. As two moms who have taken this journey relatively recently, we love to share our experiences as mompreneurs with our MomMes.

Start out researching the business you want to create. What else is currently out there in the market? Is there a demand for what you want to do? Can you create a niche market? Will you be able to create your business in the time you have as a mom without disrupting your family? Can you work from home or are you okay going into an office environment? You really want to ask yourself, truly challenge yourself and make sure you are going into the experience with open eyes.

You will need support, not just financially, but emotionally from your husband, family and friends, and trusted mentors or advisers to count on. It is okay if you do not start out with advisers, we have developed many amazing relationships along the way since we started our business, but are you the type of person that likes to reach out to others? Can you take honest advice?

You need to be self-motivated, disciplined, and able to multi-task. Most mothers inherently can multi-task well, however a business is really a baby. Are you ready to take on a new baby into your family? You have to love it, coddle it, spend time on it, really it is a living breathing thing you are creating, and you have to be ready to devote as much time and attention as possible.

0
0 32

Wow! That is a super loaded question and I could probably write an entire book on advice that I could give, so I’m going to limit myself to 6 points!

1. Before you get down to serious business, do a lot of research and make sure you business idea is something that can be successful.
2. Never let small minds convince you that your ideas and your dreams are too big or too ambitious. Although they might be right, you are never going to know unless you take a chance and take some risks to find out. Also, don’t expect people that are not “entrepreneur-minded” to be excited about your venture, especially in the beginning. There are many people who will discourage you simply because they are very narrow-minded and would never be willing to take such risks. I know! I used to be one of them!
3. Get the word out! Promote! Promote! Promote! Get a website, get on the social media networking scene and connect with your readers and/or clients and keep them engaged.
4. Never stop learning and improving. I make a point of challenging myself and learning something new every day! If I showed you my very first comic, or even the first 100 comics I created for that matter, and told you I wanted to be world famous one day, you would probably roll on the floor laughing out loud! (And some people still might! (lol))
5. If things don’t work out the way you plan, try changing your plan before you change the goal. I am still learning and changing every day. You should always follow your heart and never lose sight of what your goals are. However, it’s equally important to be flexible and to understand that your paths won’t always be what you expect them to be. Some people set their sights way too high in the beginning and set themselves up for failure. But, failure doesn’t necessarily mean you cannot accomplish your goals.
6. Dream big, but start slow. Be realistic and never ever put yours or your family’s well-being in jeopardy. Not every business idea is a good one and sometimes success may not last forever. Don’t be afraid to come to terms with the fact that your idea is not going to be successful if it simply isn’t! Instead, find the lessons in it and move on. You never know, it might lead you to your next million dollar idea! P.S. I am working on my 3rd business idea in less than 2 years! One of the others has been kyboshed and the other is on hold... for now! ;)

0
0 4

Really think about what the purpose of your blog will be and how many hours you want to spend on it. Once you figure that out, go and search for blogs and see what they are writing about/promoting and come up with some ideas to get started. Just make sure you have a clear set of goals for yourself and your site!

0
1 0

Being a mompreneur has to be like having triplets! There are are multiple balls in the air all at the same time. Never a dull moment. But it's so much fun! I tell all moms to be patient, be dedicated and have fun. Whatever it is you love to do, find a way to make money doing it. Team up with other moms and follow your dreams. You never know who around you has a good idea to help propel your idea to greatness!

0
2 0

It really depends on each mom's expectations of herself, the potential business and the ability to manage her time and define priorities.

My advice is to really take the time to define your driving force, use whatever skill set you were given to the fullest and know when you need to engage other resources. My tag line is "Where Mompreneurs Share Their Adventures in Business" because starting and running a business is definitely an adventure ... it will take twists and turns and it is ultimately up to you to navigate.

Evaluate where you are at in life and define what your true goals are for yourself and your business.

1. Do you want a "lifestyle business" that provides some income but manageable so you can actually take a vacation and not be on email/phone most of the time?

2. Are you going for "big business" where you'll need investors, advisors, employees and manage it all?

3. Is this your true passion? Can you see yourself doing this for the next 5-10 years?

4. What really drives you? The need to create, the need to contribute, the need to have *something* for yourself, the need to learn, the need to be recognized or successful?

5. Do you have a support system including significant other, financial resources and childcare?

I interview mom entrepreneurs and I've heard the majority of women say the same things. Here are some common *real* themes:

1. They started their business because they had a great idea they researched and couldn't find online.

2. They wanted more flexibility now that they have children.

3. They never would have started their business if they knew what was entailed. Naivity was a positive.

4. You have to be open to failure and resolve challenges, even when it is daunting. Look at failure as a lesson learned and don't repeat again.

5. On average, it takes about 3-4 years to really start seeing success and building your business. By the time this happens, most mompreneurs hope their businesses are acquired ... because they initially created their business to spend more quality time with their family and are learning the opposite is true.

Good luck and I'd love to hear how you are doing it. Please Share Your Story at: http://bestmomproducts.com/contact/

0
0 0

The best mompreneurs are those who can visualize something that doesn’t currently exist in a marketplace, but will make their own lives better. Then turn it into a reality for themselves and others to benefit from. Almost three years ago, I was newly pregnant, and saw a need in Chicago for moms-to-be and moms to connect with one another face to face in a social, educational and fun way. Other than sporadic pre-natal yoga classes, nothing existed to connect us offline and in person. What started with one free event for me to meet other expectant moms on April 3, 2010 (when I was 12 weeks pregnant), has transformed into 12+ events per month (over 300 to date). Bump Club and Beyond has a comprehensive online presence through our blog and social media pages. A year ago, we added Austin to our roster of cities, and will announce a third city this fall that will gain a Bump Club and Beyond community of its own. Thousands of moms and moms-to-be have experienced Bump Club and Beyond for themselves and are now engaging with our brand both online and off, all because we saw a need for what we now offer in Chicago, Austin, and beyond.

I encourage all mompreneurs to stay true to themselves and what they are trying to accomplish. It's important to come up with your own ideas to make your business thrive naturally, in a way that is unique and that works for you and your audience. Make a game plan and stay focused; you can never be all things to all people.

Surround yourself with honest people who you can trust and who share your vision. Be cautious and protect yourself and your ideas. Find a mentor who you can look to for guidance in the areas where you may not excel. Be a mentor to others in the areas where you thrive. Time is precious, so make a plan and use it wisely. Expect that in order to succeed you may have to put in time during unconventional hours---but that is the beauty of having your own business, you make the rules. Don't compromise your family time or time spent with your kids. Make sure to take time for yourself (it's hard to do, but you have to!)

Lastly and most important you must have a passion for what you are doing and make sure you are 200% committed to your business' mission. If you don't believe in it, no one else will. If you are passionate about your business, and try to build the best, most unique product you possibly can, it will show, and you will eventually reap the rewards of your hard work. Remember, your customers/audience always come first. Without people who trust and believe in you, you don't have a business to start with.

0
4 279

Find a job you love and you won't mind the long hours or that you are not making any or a lot of money for a while.

Treat your business as a business even if you aren't making money from it. Be professional and keep deadlines. And be disciplined to work every day, or at least 5 days a week. Keep at it and your hard work will pay off eventually. And ask for help -- most people are happy to help a fellow mompreneur.

0
0 0

A passion for what you are doing is one of the biggest pieces of advice to mompreneurs. You have to want to solve a problem or right a wrong that you experienced. Whether its coming up with a new baby product, a better way to engage with kids or a new way to connect with moms, its all about improving the lives of moms.

There is something innate in all of us (moms) that makes all of us potentially great mompreneurs; we're never in it for the money. We don't get paid to be a mom. We do it for our families and that's the same way we should look at becoming a mompreneur. We become mompreneurs to solve a problem to help make our lives and the lives of our families better.

0
11 0

My advice for moms who want to be mompreneurs would be to ask for help from family and friends for child care, invest in a business coach and network.
Those three components have helped me when I've had deadlines to meet and needed help with my son.
One of the best networking groups I can recommend is Ladies Who Launch. Find a local chapter where you live and dive in!

0
61 0

Take it one step at a time. Today you can make millions by having a business online, or creating a product. It may seem overwhelming if you look at the big picture. Instead focus on "What is the very next step I need to take to get going" Then do that. Keep moving forward with those steps and soon you'll find you've reached your goal. And know that it's possible and anyone can do it.

0
0 0

If you have a vision for a product or a concept that you think is a good idea, go for it! Do your research on possible competitors and the market. Protect your idea by getting a trademark and then be incredibly enthusiastic, sharing your concept with everyone you see! The other piece of advice I have is to start small and to grow organically so that you don't start your business with debt.

0
0 0

I would say never give up! When I began my journey, I never guessed this is where it would lead me. I really believe that when you have the creative vision, surround yourself with supportive people along the way and are willing to work hard, anything is possible. I'm not going to lie, there have been a lot of late nights along the way, but Pollinate Media Group has been worth every lost hour of sleep.

0
3 0

When I coach new bloggers I have them do the following:

- Plan beyond their ideas of today
- Create a business and marketing plan
- Think outside their niche and see if anything needs to be incorporated (don't blog yourself in a corner)
- Understand the time / cost involved and provide tools to track both
- Provide knowledge of hosting, platforms and themes
- Realize how important their "brand" is and how to develop it

This is just the tip of the iceberg --- with thorough planning, anyone can be a successful blogger!

http://mommybloggeru.com/how-to-be-a-blogger/

0
0 0

Start with an idea that you are passionate about. We write about Los Angeles private schools and the competitive admissions process. You really need to research your idea to find out if there is anything else in the market similar to your concept. Its fine to join a crowded, competitive market, but you need to be aware of the competition and be patient. For moms who want to write books like we did, self-publishing is a great way to go! We began with an outline, wrote each chapter and published our book! The entire process took a year. We didn't let anything stop us. The start-up costs aren't as high as you might think. Companies have various packages for self-publishing, allowing you to pick and choose various options. Then, after our book was published, we started our blog.

0
87 0

Bite the bullet and just start. Once you get going it is really easy.

I am lucky as my writing partner, Nat and I share the website and the writing so if one of us is having a bad day then at least the other can step in and do the work.

You can always hook up with another passionate mommy writer too if you want - it is great fun sharing stories and tips and it is sometimes even more inviting to readers as you have two totally different points of view on the same subject.

0
0 0

My step 1 and step 2 sort of cancel each other out. The first step to becoming a mompreneur is to plan, but the second step is not to over-plan. I think as moms it is our natural tendency to over-think and worry about all the what-ifs, and that tends to get in the way of focusing on our business plans. For example, soup and sandwich night works just as well as a huge gourmet dinner, so the trick is not to worry about ‘what-if I cannot make a big dinner every night’ if I decide to follow my instinct to be an entrepreneur.

0
0 0

My 5 Tips (that have worked for me, anyway!)
1. Be passionate about what you choose to do, whether it's a service business, a blog, or selling a product, believe in it and believe in yourself... because when you're passionate about what you do, the hard work will always feel worth it.

2. Prioritize. That to-do list is always gonna be there. Some days you can get lots of things accomplished. Other days, not so much. With families, partners, schools, activities, households to run in addition to your business, some days just are too packed. Prioritize what really needs to happen on a certain day, and know that it's okay if you didn't cross every single thing off the to-do list.

3. Family life is Important ( :
It's hard sometimes when we're so focused on work and dinner needs to get started, or the kids need homework help or just want Mom's attention for a while. Walk away from the computer, put the phone down for a while and just focus on what the family needs. Setting up "blocks of time" for specific work duties/family duties including PLAY can really help so no one feels neglected.

4. Be kind to yourself. Starting a business is hard. It's time consuming, frustrating at times, and most of us want to do it all and do it all perfectly. You'll make a few mistakes along the way -- that's good, it's how we learn to grow (as moms and mompreneurs!)

5. Celebrate the little successes. If you made one new contact today, fantastic! Someone compliments the background color of your website -- ALL RIGHT! Some days BIG things happen and that's great. But it's important to celebrate even those little accomplishments along the way. All those little things add up to great big success.

0
18 8

If you're looking to become a mompreneur first decide what you want to do and how you'll do it. Whether you want to be a writer, have your own products/services, etc., you will want a plan of action to get to your goal.

Another thing you'll want to do is schedule yourself. Have your work hours & your family hours, and stick to it. This gives you the opportunity to structure your life and your business, without letting either get neglected. Staying focused is easier when you have structure to hold that focus together.

Being a mompreneur is a lot of work, but worth every minute of it! Don't give up, everything is possible if you try.

One important thing every mompreneur needs to know, never be afraid to ask for help. There is always someone out there willing to help, so let them. Don't let yourself become overwhelmed, it's never worth it.

0
0 0

I posted this a while back on the blog and it's perfect for this question:

5 Things I Wish I Knew When I Opened Shop:
1. that “overnight” success could take a while. I started my shop back in 2003 and it wasn’t until 2011 that I was able to do it full-time where it generated enough income to quit my job.
2. that there is so much more to pricing than just doubling cost (or tripling). You have to factor in promotions, shipping materials, business cards, fees, etc. There is so much to factor in when pricing to still generate a profit that values your time.
3. how competitive and ruthless it can be. There are critical, negative people out there. You have to not dwell on the negativity and do what you were created to do.
4. how rewarding and supportive it can be. Among the small pocket of negativity, there is a LOT of positive, encouraging, uplifting business owners out there willing to help.
5. that what I love, others might not. It always amazes me when I come up with a product that I think is SO fabulous, then it doesn’t sell. And then other items that I’m so-so about and it sells like crazy. Everyone has different tastes!

5 Things I Know Now That I Want YOU to Know:
1. You don’t have to go into debt to start a business. I started my business on $150 and have never carried ANY debt. Sell, reinvest, sell, reinvest. You don’t have to have huge debt to be successful.
2. Don’t let anyone else steal your joy (see #3 above). There is a small pocket of negative people that like to criticize and nitpick. Ignore them. Stay joyful. Keep doing what you love. If comparison is a struggle for you, take a break from social media and unfollow those people that bring you down.
3. Don’t be afraid to learn new things. Trends are always changing. Don’t be afraid to change up the look of your products or try new things. Sometimes ideas fail, that’s okay. You’ll never know until you try.
4. Encourage and help others. I’m not saying give away trade secrets, but as you learn and grow, share that knowledge. Encourage new business owners who are just starting out. Network and support other businesses. Give them a shout out on your Facebook or Twitter. Spread the love.
5. Customer service is KEY.This may be #5, but it is probably the most important. Customer service is super important to me. I hope that each customer I interact with (whether or not they’re happy or not-so-happy about their purchase) feels my kindness and willingness to help in every email or Tweet I send out. I see so many business owners to publicly tweet negativity toward customers and who wants to support a business like that? Remember, word of mouth is one of the best forms of publicity…what do you want your customers to say about YOUR business?

0