At what age can kids start trick-or-treating? And by what age should they stop?

2 0

We brought our daughter around when she was 2, we of course had the candy :) but it was nice to take her around our new neighborhood. If we lived closer to family I'm sure we would have brought her when she was only a few months old. Our son went when he was under a year... with his big sister.

Once the teenage years are around, some have parties, but I'm for as long as we can keep them innocent and out of trouble, let them trick or treat!

4
6 0

I think that if a child is ready to eat candy then she is ready to go trick-or-treating.

As for when they should stop, i think it is absolutely preposterous when houses turn down my teenage sister in her neighborhood because it is such an awesome and innocent activity for youngsters and they are still children. And to say that they can go to parties so they shouldn't do it anymore is extremely naive because what do teenagers do at parties? They drink/do drugs/have sex/get into trouble. Bottom line: IMO, if you're dressed up in a costume and don't have diabetes, trick-or-treating should never have an age limit!

2
0 0

If you wouldn't give your kids the candy, then they shouldn't go trick-or-treating. What's the point of having your small toddler (or baby) go to strangers to collect candy that you, as the parent, are going to eat? I think it's great to dress the child up and maybe take a walk around the neighborhood on Halloween, talk to neighbors and see other kids' costumes, but I say the actual trick-or-treating is a no-go, until the child is old enough to understand what to do, and old enough to eat the candy.

As for an upper limit, as long as the kid is dressed in an actual costume, I don't think there is a specific age to stop. I do not care for teenagers, with no costume, showing up at my door, though.

http://www.veganmotherhubbard.com/2011/10/its-halloween.html

2
0 0

Sorry if this sounds negative. For as long as I've owned my home (5 years now), pretty much the only trick-or-treaters we get are babies and un-costumed teenagers. It's annoying. We live three blocks from an elementary school. Where are all the kids?

0 26

I think it depends on the maturity of the child for when they start and how long they are able to walk by themselves. My daughter did awesomely at age 3 (last year), but my son had a little harder time when he was 3.

I think that when Halloween parties are more popular than trick or treating - that's probably a good indication that they are too old. Probably around 14 or 15.

2
7 15

Q: At what age can kids start trick-or-treating?
A: Whatever age you feel comfortable with.

Q: And by what age should they stop?

1
11 64

At my house, trick-or-treating has evolved as the kids have grown. When my son was only 8 months old, he wore a costume and went to grandma's to show off for his biggest fans. He was the treat that year! When he was 1 1/2, we took him out in our very small neighborhood, mostly to see neighbors in costume and check out the Halloween decorations. He spent 15 minutes playing with a toy black rat on a neighbor's front porch! It did neat tricks (like roll over and act dead).

When he was 2 1/2 we went with a large group of kids and moms and he learned to say "thank you" through repeated practice at every house. He still couldn't say trick or treat! At 3 and beyond I think trick or treating really becomes fun -- both because kids are excited about the candy and because they're scared by decorations. It gives them a chance to practice social skills and face some fears head on (like ghosts and zombies).

When kids are more interested in pulling pranks than having good clean fun, it's time to stop trick or treating, in my opinion.

1
0 0

I am in Australia, and it actually seriously annoys me that "we" have adopted Halloween. Even though my husband is American, we don't participate in Halloween and thankfully live on a property so do not get any trick or treaters coming by.

1
0 0

Kids can start trick or treating (with mom and dad of course) as soon as they can walk and understand what Halloween is all about. As far as stopping, 8th grade seems about right.

1
1

i think that anyone should be able to trick or

0
0 0

When children are less that 3-5 yrs old depending on the maturity of the child it's really about the parents and their need to re-live or foster a culture around the buzz of halloween. When they become older...14-16...it's really about fun, what they've been accustomed to in their family life and frankly the desire for free candy and the hype of the event. Each child is individual and having said that I will send my 14yr old out with my 11yr old to trick or treat this year because it's safe and frankly when it's cold outside their desire for candy definitely exceeds mine.

0
2 0

I believe its up to the parents when they make this happen by allowing them to do so and there is no maximum age and it differ with child to child.

0
0 28

I don't think there should be an age.... Really even when someone is 18 if they are going to get dressed up and head out to trick or treat, I will give them candy and wish them a spooky night. The holidays are not just for children, it's for anyone who wants to enjoy them and take the time to get dressed!
My answer is ANY AGE CAN TRICK OR TREAT! (they must dress up)
I think it's important even as children turn into teens we allow them to keep some form of innocents about them. They might look grown up, but fact is they are still children. Even if they are grown, there's nothing wrong with being a child at heart and having fun now and then.

http://jennsblahblahblog.com

0
0 0

my son is six month and i am taking him out for halloween, babies can trick or treat i guess it is up to the mother really. So moms think it's stupid to take a baby out when they dont remember it other take there babies out. for me though my son wont remember it its fun for a first time parent to walk around with your baby.

0
0 20

I have 6 children and while my 13 year old thinks its for babies ,y 10 and 9 year old have the most fun, we have a party each year and go out as a family, we only visit friends and family but the children along with the 2,3 and 4 year old have great fun. I don't think there is a right age at all, as long as they are safe and having fun, who cares on age, I am 32 and still love it

0
0 0

We make Halloween about the experience, not only the candy grab! It is about the costume prep, the smell of toasty pumpkins and connecting with friends and neighbors. If you keep the focus on the community spirit and participate in activities along with the trick-or-treating, I think Halloween has something for everyone!

0
22 0

I took my son trick or treating when he was one. Only to have him get used to it and also to show off my Prince in his costume :) I will always take him myself (he will be 5 Oct. 23rd) until he is about 12 or so.

0
1 0

I took my daughter just around to the other 5 tenants in our apartment building when she was 1 1/2 just for the fun of dressing up and going out but we gave the candy away (she didn't know what it was anyway) and I gave her other special healthy treats instead. She stopped trick or treating by about 12 or 13 - after that time someone among her friends was always having a party instead.

0
11 0

Both of my daughters started trick-or-treating around 2. My 16 year old daughter doesn't trick-or-treat anymore.. She usually goes to parties on Halloween or something. She stopped trick-or-treating once she got into high school because that's when all the parties started happening. My 13 year old daughter is not going to trick-or-treat this year for the first time. She is going to her friends house for a sleep over and they are going to watch scary movies and eat candy n what not.

0
1 0

I think it really depends on the child. I would say in general though around 3 years old is a good age to start.

I think around 14 is the oldest kids should be for trick-or-treating unless taking their young brother(s) and/or sister(s) around.

0
0 14

I love Halloween, so I think a child can start as soon as they can fit into a cute costume! Infants & children are accompanied by an adult anyway -- so how are you ever to old to celebrate?

0
25 1

My children are 9, 8 & 6 and I haven't started them with trick-or-treating and don't intend to.
I remember getting dressed up for the event as a kid & I didn't always like it. Maybe it was the costume choice (I usually had to be a witch while my older sister got to be fun clown :-/ ) My the time I was 7, I no longer wanted to get dressed up, or go trick-or-treating and my parents were ok with that.
Either way, when the children were very little I knew I wouldn't be taking them around. As they got older we found other events to participate in or made it our own special family night. They may participate with whatever activities their teachers do for their class at school. Some may ridicule and say I'm taking away from their childhood experience. But I've never felt them being resentful because of my choice. They never feel like they're missing out because they look forward to the special night we plan together.

0
0 4

I think that 3-4 years old is the perfect age to start but, I remember taking my 2 year old out to trick-or-treat. She certainly did not understand what the holiday was all about nor could she eat the candy but she had fun walking around in her costume. As far as what age they should stop, I agree with many of the other moms that 7 or 8th grade is about the time they should stop. Now, that does not mean that the older kids can't still dress up and help pass out candy or help their younger brothers and sisters out!
You can also participate in some of the trick-or-treat events in your area and not necessarily take your little ones out on Halloween night. In years past, we have visited Disney and done trick-or-treating there. We also have gone to many fall festivals where kids can wear their costume and get candy.

http://www.shopaholicmommy.com/family-life-2/fun-fall-family-activities/

0
10 0

I took my twins Trick or Treating when they were 14 months! I was a first time mom and couldn't wait to dress them up and take them around. The neighbors LOVED seeing them all dressed up as Poo and Tigger. I guess it was more for me than them. :) They are 9 now, and i think they should stop around 12 yrs old.

0
3 0

When my daughter was two years old, I was on tour in England. At the time they were just starting to trick or treat over there. We were guests in someone's home. When the first trick or treaters showed up, my two year old was more than happy to help dish out the candy. The next year, when she was three, we were back in the states. I took her with my niece and her 3 year old trick or treating at the Columbus Zoo in Ohio where they were handing out candy for the kids. We strolled them around in a double stroller. We had a blast ... the kids had a blast. She is now a teenager. If she is invited with her friends and our family (that include children ages 4-11) and she wants to dress up and go, I will allow it. As long as she is having fun, socializing with other children, it's okay with me. I think it's up to each family and individual to decide when it's time to stop trick or treating.

0
2 11

We started taking both of our kids when they were around 18-months. At around that age, they liked the fantasy of getting in a costume, and could hold their bags out for candy. Though, the candy was really for the parents. My daughter didn't quite understand the custom, and started handing out HER candy from her bag to our neighbors as we went to the front door. It was a wonderful ice breaker and gave us a chance to meet the people in our neighborhood. I think that somewhere after 6th grade seems like an appropriate age to stop.

0
157 7

I started taking my guys out as babies, not for them, but because it was an excuse to show them off. I'm not sure what the cut off ages should be. Who does not like free candy? I'm thinking grade 7 or 8. I really hate when the teenagers come to the door with their pillowcases. Part of me would like to berate them at the door, but the part that does not enjoy having my house egged gives them the stinky candy.

0
24 60

I have them usually start when they are a year and a half old and stop when they are 9-10 (ten is really pushing it in my book.) Zeva is to young to really eat candy this year or appreciate what is going on. However, she will get in a costume this year. I do feel that after 10 years old they can help the little ones have fun safely.

0