What age can your baby have a sippy cup?

Sippy cups are helpful for your child to transition from breastfeeding or bottle feeding to a cup. Is it ever too soon to start using a sippy cup? When is the right age?

17 22

I love to read these threads, because they always remind me of the questions I would ask my mom.
My youngest is 9 now, but I have to agree with you who have said that there're isn't a specific age for almost anything. You can start to try as soon as you, the mom, think the child is ready.
Then just see how the child does. Our kids are small, so we automatically think they are fragile, but they aren't. They are tough and resilient, and are smart! So do your best, and dont let other moms tell you what is best fo YOUR baby. Listen to advice, but don't always take it. And call your mom! She'll get a kick out of these questions, and love to know that you still need her!

8
32 14

My son went straight from breastfeeding to a sippy cup. He never took a bottle. It was wonderful not having to take the bottle. I started him on the sippy cup around 5 or 6 months. I am doing the same for my daughter. She is 9 months and uses a sippy cup by herself and drinks from a reg. cup with help. No bottle at all for either of mine. One less thing to have to break them from. This worked for me but it may not for everyone.

6
54 100

I believe that the transition from breast or bottle to the sippy cup should be when the child feels ready. A child, no matter their age, will give you an indication of when they are ready. For instance, my now 5 year old daughter and my 11 month old daughter started using sippy cups at young ages. My 5 year old went on the sippy cup full-time at 19 months and 2 days of age. We're working on our 11 month old. But, she, like her sister, started using the combination of the sippy cup and bottle from young ages. From memory, both of my daughter's started using the sippy cup by accident around the same ages and that was at roughly 6 or 7 months. So you see, sippy cup use, like potty training, should be done when the child is ready. Every child is different and they will tell you in their own way. That is what I have found in my 5 years of being a mum. Is there really such a thing as being the wrong time for situations like this???

3
2 60

I start mine when they're able to hold the bottle and control it well. With my first, that was around 4 months. It took her about 2 months to get used to the sippy, but once she did, the bottles were gone. With my latest one (he's #6), he's 7 months, and still not controlling the bottle extremely well, so we're holding off.

3
100 47

My son was about 9 months when I started him on his - he was holding his bottles by then. With my daughter (9yr age gap) she wont hold her bottle but we give her a sippy cup with a straw and they are BPA free ones (had a huge recall about a year ago on all plastics) and she holds those and has had them since she was about 6 months...she likes them and we are happy with that - no spills and messes and no need to worry about making sure that she is getting enough water each day and staying hydrated...

2
8 32

I start introducing a sippy cup around 4 months. My first was completely ready for them and was drinking from one except at bedtime. She didn't even want a bottle by the time she was about 11 months old. Now, my second, who is now 8 months old, will use one if she has to, but she isn't loving the idea. Kids are different, so its appropriate at different ages. The important thing is to just keep introducing it, eventually the child will take to it.

2
7 13

i started mine on a sippy cup at 6 months

2
309 15

I think it just depends on the kid. I don't see how doing it earlier or later could hurt a child though. I know they sell transition sippy cups that are for 6months - 1 year old. My son started taking a sippy with a soft top and handles at about 7 months. Never wanted to touch an actual bottle after that. He was so happy to have that independence! He just got his milk in the sippy instead. Now transitioning from the beloved soft topped sippy to a toddler one? well.... LOL We had one horrible weekend out of town where he hardly drank anything because his sippy got lost and the local stores didn't have the right kind. Now thank goodness he is flexible and at two he is happier using a "big boy" cup like mommy and daddy do.

1
35 61

i knew i didnt want my son to be the "3 year old" still drinking from a bottle so after he turned one i took away his bottles and gave him sippy cups. he was ready for it and it worked out prefect. i know ppl that started there kids on the nuby cups at younger ages but not completely off the bottle. so i guess its all about if the child is ready and your personal views

1
103 6

I started a sippy cup with my daughter soon after she turned 1! Dentist dont recommend a bottle for long because of the way teeth grow in. So it's not a good idea to let your child decide! Because if they had it their way....they would suck on a bottle and pacifier until they are 4, like some children! I believe it is up to the parents to keep them moving along.
My daughter then used her sippy cup for 4-5 months only (because she started getting dependent on it and thought she needed everywhere she went and would throw tantrums over it. So, I could tell she was ready and (able) to learn to hold a cup! So about 19-20 months she started on a cup! She's been doing great and is much easier not to have her so attached to that sippy cup!

1
3,053 42

When they start weaning. My son had one from 5 months.

1
12 20

Practice practice practice lol I experimented with the cups and what not, but i started my little boy on his around 4-6months. Some cups are 4-6months. Then 6-12months 12-18months. Etc so if you are unsure, go by the age guide lines on these baby products, but if you dont think that your babs is ready then simply wait. Good luck. x

1
29 45

I'm a mother of twins boy's I introduce use the sippy cup when they was 4-1/2 months old, they doing really well with it, no much bottle at all, so I think is depend the child they all are different and different way...So is no age when you can start your baby a sippy cup ;-) Just try and see.

1
44 1

I started around 4 months old. I was breastfeeding and had just started baby cereals and fruits and never even owned any bottles. I continued to breastfeed the entire first year as that is baby's best nutrition and is formulated to your specific baby's needs by your body but I start offering a bit of food and a little bit of water/juice at 4 months.

1
23 15

I started the twins at 6-7 mos. They were scooting around in walkers with the cups. They tooked bottles when I was at work. I changed my schedule to keep my benefits but be home 3 days a week. I didn't want them to be 4 yrs old and sucking on a bottle, so I started them with breast milk in the sippy cups and they were off the bottle shortly after they started.

1
1 3

My baby girl breastfed until she was maybe a week before she turned one and used a bottle very seldomly and if not a bottle her sippy cup since about 6 months but aibce bout month 9 or 10 she actually doesn't like her sippy cup she likes drinking from her cup with a straw!

1
0 0

My daughter was off the bottle at 1 year she is 3 now and using a normal cup by herself

0
1

I have a 3 year old girl. She is so depending on her bottle. She never took a dummy. A just fell when she walks down the street and has the bottle in her mouth a get durty looks. Av been trying to get her off it for a while n now a think shes getting to old for it n av tryed everything

0
439 0

I gave my baby a sippy at 12mths.. but she was drinking from a straw at 5mths.. a little one..lol..but i think they need to suck a nipple for the first year..

0
1,194 4

My son never did a sippy cup. From around the time he was 6 months old I would put a little bit of water in a child sized cup and give it to him. He spilled it mostly in the beginning, but he is now almost three and RARELY spills a drink! :)

0
12 14

I introduced the sippy around 7 or 8 months for juice. My son would not drink formula from it.. I never forced it on him I figured he would use it when he was ready. He was done with the bottle shortly after his first birthday and now will drink milk from his sippy cups without an issue. My son has always been very easy to transition. He gave the binky up on his own before 6 months. So the bottle transition was a breeze too.. This is not the case for everyone though some kids just aren't ready to switch yet

0
1 0

My son was eight months old when I gave him a sippy cup. I didnt try to force him to take it. One night I fixed his bottle for bedtime and a cup but I offered him the cup first. He went straight to sleep! So from that moment on it was the sippy cup for him. He's about to turn 3 in August. Now I have an 8 1/2 month old who is still on the bottle but picks up a cup if its in sight. I think she's ready for it so i'm going for the cup!! Please be aware that babies do give you the signs when they are ready for a change!

0
9 38

I gave all my kids sippy cups at 6 months old when they grabbed and held on to things

0
1 0

I agree with the answers below as far as age goes. No child is exactly alike and they take to changes when they are ready to do so. My daughter who is now 12, took to the sippy cup at 8 mths. And my now 18 mth old son, I knew he was ready once he grabbed my glass of milk and drank it through my straw. He was 11 mths. Ages will always vary :o)

0
97 18

My kids were started on sippy cups at the age of 1 year. Off the breast and on to the sippy cup the next day. Until they are drinking things other than breastmilk or formula they don't require a cup of any type.

0
17 1

I have tried as young as 6 months with my son. He thought of it more of a toy for a long time. He is just now getting it and he is a year old. With my daughter I didn't even try a sippy cup with her until 11 months and she pretty much got it right away. It is really a preference of when you decide. I have heard some start at 4 months.

0
10 21

When they start solids, offer cooled boiled water in a sippy cup after meals. My son drank water from a sippy cup from 6 months and breastfed till 11 months when he started drinking goat's milk (he was allergic to cow's milk) from a straw cup. My 8 mo daughter is breastfed and drinks water from a sippy cup too. She is better at holding it on her own than he was :)

0
4 0

Depends on baby and their development... My son
Went from breast to cup at 1 year

0
50 11

we started at 9 months with afternoon bottle, slowly switching out bottle for sippy cup ending with bed time bottle. they where completely off of bottles by 12 months.

0
1,890 18

My daughter was 4 months when we started but it took her a bit to get the hang of it. She was breastfed and refused bottles when I returned to school, so we got her using a cup. I think anytime between 4 and 9 months would be a good time to start. Every child and family is different.

0
10 2

I did the exact same thing as Rachel; breast fed my daughter & introduced juices to her in dippy cups around 6 months. I don't believe anything should go in a bottle except baby formula or breast milk. Or maybe a bottle of water IF the doc says the baby needs additional fluids & it's comforting to them at night. My sister used to put SWEET TEA in her baby's bottles! Can you believe it?? Oh, they're all oner 13 now & all have jacked up teeth & behavioral disorders. Don't know if the tea contributed to the latter but it sure can't have helped. And tea has caffeine in it, so I'm betting it did!!

0
321 14

I would say when they are old enough to hold one. My daughter was drinking water from a cup at 6 months old and now, at 13 months, doesn't use a bottle anymore.

0
72 9

6 months, that is what i read and that is what we did. our daughter loved her sippy cup right away. she always seemd interested in what we were doing/drinking so she seem like she felt pretty special when she had her own cup of juice.

0
0 0

I have a 6yr old son that i felt i gave the sippy cup very late. He was about 1 1/2yrs old. By then it was so hard to take that bottle away from him. Now i have a 7 month old which i just introduced the sippy to her and she loves it. I only give her the bottle at night before bed. I personally feel the earlier you introduce it the better because the younger the age the more flexible and resilient they are. It doesnt matter the age. if they like it then give it to them. it cant hurt. right?

0
68 0

When your child starts trying to hold bottle . about a year .

0
18 38

I started my dd on a sippy at 8 months and that was it...

0
0 8

well my son is now 22 monthz and he still have a sippy cup but i started him on a sippy cup went he was about 19 monthz and now i have a baby girl thatz 5 dayz old newborn and wen she get 19 monthz i will start her on a sippy cup too and i think thatz a rigth age.

0
88 19

straight from breast feeding to sippy cup

0
49 100

i started my daughter at 5 mo when she started juice we conpletly had the bottle gone by 10 mo

0
84 39

I gave my son a sippy cup at four months he didn't really use it, but now he's 11 mounths he used to it being in his environment and uses it with out any bother.

0