What age do you allow your daughters to wax?

0 3

Hi, I just took my 10 1/2 year old daughter for her first eyebrow waxing. I actually thought that I was jumping to quick. But my daughter had been asking and was very concerned about her "unibrow" and as a young girl I had the same probably but there was no waxing then. I took her and they straightened and evened them up and waxed just a little.
My Daughter was thrilled and was very happy. Now that we have crossed this milestone we can do it again and be more comfortable.
Thanks,
Deb

12
87 12

If my daughter ever asks me to go, I will take her. I'm not the foofy girly type, but if she wants to sit in a salon getting this, that, and the other done it's fine. As long as she remembers that she's amazing either way ♥

8
0 0

Wow I looked at most of these comments and really none of them get to the important point. First I have a daughter that waxes her lower legs and her under arms. I dont have a lot of money but I do ot for one reason... Her future... She comes from a hairy family backround so it is a fact she will need to do something. Shaving only makes things worse over time. You have to do it more often and the hair gets thicker, darker and more corse. I wish I had known about waxing and the benefits of it when I was younger. Thanks to it now, I have almost no hair on my legs anymore and am working towards the same on other parts of my body. I hope to make that become a reality sooner for my daughter. She was 12 when I let her do it for the first time...

7
6 11

I think it all depends on why she wants and/ or needs it. If it's clear that she has a huge caterpillars over her eyes & may be mistaken for a teenage boy, I think you just need to relax & guide her to take care of the issue. Teenage girls will do it one way or another. You need to learn to pick your battles. A simple eyebrow or mustache wax is not going to turn your little girl into a nightmare. You can use this time to teach her about becoming a woman. Bond over it. It's going to happen eventually, better in your hands than at a friend's house with no supervision. This goes for shaving, too. I think 12 is a fine age to start shaving legs.

6
4 16

When she asks? I don't get why Moms feel the need to control EVERYTHING. When my oldest asked if she could get her eyebrows waxed, I think she was 13, I took her.

6
18 1

I haven't taken my 12 year old daughter to wax, because I was concerned that she might break out. Then she"ll get criticized for that! In our schools today, if its not one thing, its another. Ive taught my daughter not to allow other kids' thoughts to become her thoughts. If they have a good head on their shoulder and have her best interest at heart, they will care about their friendship first with my daughter, than to try to instill their insecurities in her. Ive taught her that we live in a place where we will always run into someone who doesn't like something about us, especially when we show signs of differentiality. We all grow, develop, learn, and change at our own paces. She doesn't have to change herself, just because everyone is trying to make her feel like she has to. I try to teach my daughter that education is whats important. Teachers, employers dont care if your eyebrows are waxed or if your nails are done or if your wearing the latest styels.They just want you to look decent, carry yourself well and definitely want you to meet the qualifications for the job at hand. I'm not talking about Retail either. Im talking about, running a business, suggesting plans, being a part of a movement that will make a difference in America one day for the american people. My point is...you are the parent..and if you care what a bunch of pre-teens think about your daughter, she will know it and care too. She will focus more on her looks; what she's wearing and if she meets the high standards of the pre-teens who have yet alot to learn. Sit down with your daughter and ask her why she feels she wants to wax her eyebrows. Does she feel it will help her focus in class more? Does she feel it will help her get Honor roll? Principles List? Is it something she really needs? Let her know how beautiful she is without waxing already and how many years she has been beautiful without waxing. Ask her why does she feel the sudden need to wax? Why should you allow her to wax? What is she going to do in school to earn waxing? How will waxing help her in school?

Plus, once you start waxing- it will be another expense added to the budget. Another expense that she will complain she must have because she cares about what everyone is telling her. Putting all her focus on waxing, during class time or when she has a major project due.
To answer your question: My daughter is twelve and I do not allow her to get her eyebrows waxed, but she doesnt complain or insist on it. Because, she is happy with how she is built. She doesnt ask to wear make-up, but for more led pencils. I have recently allowed her to curl her eyelashes though. She saw me doing it and asked if she could try it and I thought she looked really nice. I noticed her beautiful brown eyes more. No mascara of course.I suppose I will allow her to start waxing when she enters the 9th grade or actually, when she's on her way to her eighth grade graduation. If she brings it up. but if she can go until 14 or 15 years old to wax...that is fine with me also. For the moment, she's in no hurry to do it. Just remember to talk to her about whats really important...that we must love ourselves first, appreciate that we are different and created differently. That we are all beautiful in our own way, not in the way the television tells us we are or children at school, but that we must love and accept our selves for the uniqueness god has blessed us with. Talk to her about beauty within. Build in her good self-esteem...so when she grows up--she wont depend on what everyone thinks about her looks, choice in style. She will know she looks beautiful because she says she does and because mom and dad always told her she was and because she has confidence in herself as an individual.

5
7 0

I agree 100% with what you are saying. I have a 13 year old who just did her own eyebrows without permission. When I asked her why she did it she said because her friend said she needs to get them done. I believe children these days are a product of their environment and think that they need to follow what everyone else is doing. Young girls should act like what they are and not try so hard to grow up to fast.

7 0

How do you control this? I was 10 when I started shaving. I just went into my mom's bathroom, grabbed a razor and started doing it. And when we were at the store, I'd grab some razors and throw them in the cart and my mom bought them. There were no questions asked. Do most kids ask their moms about this first? Anyway, me shaving at that age didn't seem to cause any problems whatsoever. I enjoyed the feel of smooth legs, something I miss very much since now that I'm a mom I only get to shave my legs once a month. As for waxing, the thought never crossed my mind until I was 16, when a friend introduced me to it. I found that it was much less painful and time-consuming than plucking, which I had been doing since I was 13 (again, didn't ask my mom first, and she never questioned me about it). I think that if my daughter actually came to me and asked if she could start shaving her legs, and she were at least 10, I would by her a razor and give her a tutorial on how to safely do it. If she really wanted waxing and clearly had a unibrow or mustache and was at least 12, I would consider taking her to get it done. I would hope that it is something she would put off until high school or never care to do it at all, but if she really wants it, then I don't see a problem. My husband and I are pretty down-to-earth and we live in a very down-to-earth area in California, so I feel that it's very unlikely her ego would become altered by her wanting to remove some body hair.

4
82 24

I had always said that my girls would have to be at least 16 before I would consider letting them wax/shave. This was working fine for my older daughter, she never had an issue with it. However my younger girl had quite thick, dark hair on her legs, and she was getting teased about it at school. It got to the point where she didn't want to go to school, and was in tears about the teasing. She was 12 at the time. So I had to make a decision: what was going to be more harmful to her in the long run - waxing/shaving her legs or having her education disrupted and her confidence hurt by the teasing. When I looked at it that way, it was no longer an issue for me. Next shopping trip I bought some hair removal cream and she was so much happier after that. The cream was a small price to pay for having a daughter who was happy. My older girl was 14 at that time, but I decided if the younger one was removing hair, then it was only fair that the older one be allowed to also. So, 12 and 14 were the ages they started removing hair from their legs.

4
34 97

You are 100% right, it really depends on how our daughters feel about themselves. My daughter started shaving her arm pits at age 12 but she is now asking to shave her legs but the hair is blonde and can't be seen unless your a couple of inches away and looking for it. She just started 7th grade yesterday and I know it will come up again soon, I'm not sure if I will have her shave or wax - I know I won't let her use the hair remover remedies because I'm allergic or extremely sensitive to it and they ALL burn my skin and leaves actual burn marks that scab up so this will never be an option for her. But, every girl and situation is different. If they arent comfortable in their own skin then I think we should help them feel good about themselves.

1 4

My daughter had her first eyebrow waxing at 12. She broke out slightly the first couple of times but it cleared up with toner and no longer happens. She had the threading done once and stated it was to painful. Now at age 14 we have mommy and daughter beauty day and wax together every 3-4 weeks.

3
9 1

I'm thinking about taking her soon. She just turned 10 and does gymnastics so she's conscience about the hair on her legs. She's not quite ready yet.

Definitely I will NOT allow her to start to shave. Big mistake. We're in France and waxing is definitely the way to go. Better and longer results.

2
0 7

I agree. My daughter has very dark hair and is in competitive gymnastics. She began having issues with her leg hair and arm hair two years ago! I have been able to put waxing off by bleaching it (and not very often). I took her to my esthetician and had her talk to "an expert" so that she understood that I take her concerns seriously and that it's not just what mother says. We asked her if the problem was that she had hair on her arms and legs or if the problem was that it was so visible. The answer was "visible" so, we made them less visible. That has worked until now. She's now decided she wants to wax and I have agreed to let her do it but we negotiated. She'll start slowly and just for competitions. I think that the important thing is that they feel understood and listened to and to help them make their own decisions. We also live in France and waxing may start earlier here as a few of her friends have already started doing so.

0 0

My daughter is 8. I work in a salon so there little to no cost for me. I feel like I'm looking out for her future. She just got her brows and 1/2 leg waxed today and she didn't even flitch. She had dark hair and felt really embarrassed

1
0 3

I shaved my legs for the first time at 10 years old. I have PCOS and suffer from Hirsutism and I would say that I showed signs of it from 10 years of age. Nobody picked on me or made comments that I can remember, but I felt uncomfortable and was ashamed of my 'gorilla legs'. Unfortunately, I also took the razor to another area as no-one had told me it was normal to have hairs there - the result was, I think, a much worse bikini line than I could have had if I hadn't done that. At 14 years of age I was shaving twice a day as my legs were so horrendous. I first waxed at 23 - a birthday present from my mum. I've never used a razor since. I wish I'd have been able to wax as a child as my legs are better now but still not what I'd class as normal (I even epilate under my arms too - no more black shadows).
My daughter first asked for me to 'take the hairs away' when she was 3. I told her that 3 year old girls should have hairs on their legs as they need them to keep warm! She didn't think of it again until she was 11. She had her legs waxed for the first time when she was nearly 12 - she was about to go into secondary school. She thought it hurt a little bit, but having a hot chocolate at Costa made up for it! I epilate under her arms and have been plucking her eyebrows since she was 8 (only the stray hairs halfway down her eyelids - I didn't shape them until she was 12 and a half). I have yet to deal with the upperlip - I'm hoping bleach may work. My daughter is very comfortable with her looks and knows they're not important, but when she starts getting self-conscious, at least she won't have to worry about gorilla legs as well as everything else.

Children have more of a difficult time of it than a lot of parents seem to realise. It's hard enough trying to establish their identity and deal with their everchanging bodies and emotions. We should support them where possible and if that means a little waxing or epilation or something then, its 100% worth it.

1
0 0

Hi! I have 2 daughters, ages 15 and 11. My 11 year old is practically hairless, so the subject hasn't come up. But my 15 year old had her first eyebrow and upper lip wax when she was about 12. Honestly, she has dark hair and she had a lot of growth on her body at that age. She knows that I get waxed every few weeks, so when she asked, I made an appointment for both of us. I'm a working mom with long hours, and I don't get a lot of time with my girls, the weekends just aren't long enough =( I have to say we had such a fun experience and we still go together every few weeks. You know what, IT'S ONLY HAIR! As adult women, most of us wax or shave or use creams to remove hair from parts of our bodies, so what's wrong with teaching our daughters about the same kind of grooming? Plus she's on a competitive dance team, she wears leotards everyday. She does splits, leaps, things that would break my back if I tried (lol) so she also gets her bikini area waxed. Not a full bikini or brazilian of course, just enough to keep her groomed so she doesn't have to worry about any "peek-a-boo's" in that area. Let me tell you, I see other girls very embarassed by exactly that, and it's sad and unnecessary. When she was little, I taught her how to take a good shower, how to brush her teeth, comb her hair, to dress appropriately, what to expect with her menstrual cycle, etc. Waxing is just another step, and it's a million times better than shaving, I think any woman who waxes would agree. Today my daughter keeps herself neat and clean, she's confident about her appearance, and every couple of months I get a "girls day" with her. Overall, it's a win-win!

1
0 7

im a cosmetologist and my daughter has been coming home lately from school saying some girls are making fun of her eyebrows. I have always put off waxing, tweezing etc because of her being only 8.But I have never seen her so persistant! But I waxed them and she was totally more confident. I actually get more little girls than I thought to get there eyebrows and highlights ..They are girls and they are judged more ..i say sutlety! Oh and every mother is a good judge of character so you know when its a right time :)

1
11 2

I was in the 7th grade when I started waxing my eyebrows and shaving my legs. I figure that's when I'll let my daughter start if she wants to.

1
25 4

I have triplets who are 16, and 2 of them are daughters. I have taken them both to get their upper lip waxed. I take them to the salon where I go, and the lady who does them does me and does my hair. They don't need to have their eye brows waxed yet, but when they do I will have her do that too.

1
4 17

my daughter is 14 when we thought of waxing.. unfortunately the derm clinic did not allow her saying that it may 'damage' her skin. they did threading instead. i guess it depends on the salon you went to. best to bring her to a salon you frequently visit so you also have an idea on their products and services. this way you're assured that your kid is in good hands.

1
38 0

My ten year old is really hairy, legs, underarms and her private bits, she is very concience of the fact that most of her other girlfriends don't even have pubic hair so I allow her to shave and wax so she feels confident about her body image. Lots of kids mature physically earlier than others, so I think that it is appropriate to teach your kids about waxing. Hope this has been of help to other moms.

0
0 0

My daughter just got her whole bodey waxed. She got hair that was growing on her forehead and checks and nose and got her eyebrows done and back of neck done and back and a little on the stumick and her pp and arms and hands and legs and feet oh and but we are Hindo and columbian so we groow a lot of hair we'll I'm American not Hindo or culumbian my husbin is so I get waxed on my arms legs bot bekeenie line pp upper lip of and my daughter gets her upper lip done to but I get threading on my eyebrows and my daughter is 10 no one told her she looked bad she just had too much hair and hated it so I took her it was kinda fun now we do it every 2 weeks and I get my side burns threaded and she gets the waxed on the day we do this we ushually get nails and toes done go shopping I let her have a budget when we bye stuff I give 300 dollars and we get facials and if we are just bored we somtimes get our makeup done wee for all the waxing for her take about 7 ours but yeah that's why I reward her with 300 dollars ummm mine takes 3 hours and for her it cost 400 dollars for waxing a lot of mom think I'm crazy but she grows a lot of hair so I'm not crazy mine is about 150 all together and yeah and after that we go to the gym to my daughter is in contest for gymnasticks and I am a dance mom and she is a cheerleader I take her for 8 hours to workout becaus she wants it she has never ate a candybar in her life she hase atte chips 2 but now she never eats anything bad she hates unhealthy food so when she is bad I sometimes have to feed her junk food and she thinks when I'm doing that it's like those bad moms who smake thair kids

0
0 0

i think they should be aloud to start at the age of 12

0
82 0

I think you should let your daughter start waxing when she doesn't feel comfortable about her eyebrows or leg hair or even pits. I was always told once you start there is no going back. I will just make sure I stress that point to my daughter when she gets old enough. No little girl (or mom) wants (their child) to be made fun of.

0
1

My daughter started waxing her eyebrows at 13. Her eyebrows were not too bad but once she waxed them they changed the whole look of her face and she is a lot happier. She looks even more beautiful in my opinion. She goes to get them done about once a month.

0
6 0

whenever the hair is unbearable.

0
120 0

I think I got my first eyebrow wax at 9. I did not ask for it. I also had my hair bleached. My mother was very materialistic and superficial and forced me to do a lot of things I had no interest in.
If my daughter asked for it, I would buy one of those safe at home kits and do it with her, but I would not force it or suggest it if she is happy with herself.

0
0 24

I have 11 nearly 12 year old twin girls. One of them has more hair on her legs than the other and towards the end of last year asked me about getting them waxed. I had always said to them not to start shaving that I would take them to get waxed when they were ready to start. They were going away after Christmas and were going to be swimming alot and so before Christmas I made an appointment for her to get her legs waxed and they both had their under arms done :) My mum did the same with me and my sister when we were ready to start and so thats why I decided to do it with my girls. It really depends on personal choice and how the child feels about her appearance... Girls appear to be hitting puberty younger and younger these days and I think if you just use your common sense in making the decision about the right time. Everyone is different :)

0
0 22

Bothy my husband and I have a lot of body hair and unfortunately all our children also have dark body hair. Our European olive complexion further highlights the dark hair. So when my daughter was 12 and in year seven swimming at the school pool she was very conscious of her hairy legs. She also has a patch of dark hair on her lower back. When she asked if we could do something about it I suggested waxing as it would help reduce the hair growth eventually and make it thinner and less noticeable. I explained shaving may be quick but the growth comes back quickly and thicker. I made her realise waxing was the best option. She has now been waxing for two years and has added under arms and eyebrows to the regime. She has tried doing it herself using waxing techniques from the pharmacy but goes to a professional bi-monthly to save on cost and keep it all tidy.
I think it is great to promote self pride and wanting to have a good appearance from a young age. Offering a choice of sensible options will hopefully help your child make good choices.
I have a 16 year old son who also waxes his lower legs now. This beagn due to his sporting injuries in the last two years where he was having his ankles strapped with tape and of course ripping off tape was extremely painful. So I convinced him to have the lower leg waxed and he now gets it done regularly during footy season to avoid the unnecessary pain when he is already injured and needs strapping!!

0
0 14

I am relly interested to know,my daughter is 15 and she wants to wax now.

0
0 17

I took my daughter for the first time when she was 12-
I think it has to do with a lot of different factors-
Is there a need? Is it just because her friends were doing it? Is it financially something you want to add into your budget?
She had a need, lots of eyebrow hair-and I knew it was something to help her with her self confidence since she has had a major acne problem since puberty started which for her was early-
In this day and age, whatever we can do to make our daughter's transition into their teens easier-the better-

0
0 9

when it's necessary.. my daughter just turned 11 and has now underarm hair, so yes, for hygiene purposes, hair removal is necessary. However, I prefer her to use a mild depilatory.. we use the Sally Hansen lotion hair remover and that works great and also eliminates hairbumps

0
0 4

I really think it is choice and the way you feel you want to teach and raise your own child. Are they beautiful either way? Do they have an abundance of dark hair? As I see it a child's face is still growing and developing as well as their facial hair and in my case my girls don't need to wax their brows but did other areas. And now that they are older they don't need to do that either now.
It's really up to the parent not the child.

0
0 20

I wish I had known about waxing when I was a teen but shaveing was all the rave but know I only wax and don't have to do it very often ither as my hair is very fine. If when my Daughter askes I will let her get her legs waxed as for eyebrows unless she has a big unibrow I would probably just pluck a few hairs for her. my kids have watched me wax my legs at home a few times and asked me about it and asked if it hurt I answered yes but I got use to it and even did alittle on there legs and my son said never do it again hehehe and my daughter 8 at the time said it didn't hurt much.

0
0 11

My daughter is 17, she has been shaving her legs & under her arms since she was 15. She has been getting her eyebrows waxed just as long. She has a unibrow just as her mother does. So 15 is a good age to start waxing/shaving.

0
0 14

I would definitely do it as early as 10...threading hurts more, but may prevent a break out. Look at it this way...it is called grooming. We cut our kids hair for grooming purposes and teach them to shave...the girls pits and legs and boys faces and they all wear deodorant...when do we start? when the hair starts growing and being bothersome. Waxing is the same.

0
0 5

My daughter is 13. I have been taking her for waxing her underarms only, for sweat and hygiene reasons.. I do not allow any other beauty treatment unless it is home done remedies like sandalwood paste for pimples, olive oil for her hair shine...etc...

0
14 1

WOuld love to more of your home remedies...is the olive oil like a once a week conditioning?

0 19

My daughter is 11 1/2 and I let her get her legs waxed from the knee down for the first time a few days ago. She was embarrassed because she was hairy. We tried Nair and it didn't work. She no longer feels embarrassed.

0
5 16

i think once they hit 16 they can pick to do it there selves instead of having it done

0
4 0

yes, depending on the circumstances

0
0 5

actually it depends on their skin and hair type.If its coarse and thick then she can start as early as 13 years and if not then 15 or 16.my daughters started when they were 15 yrs as we all have hairy skin.

0
65 0

I let my daughter start waxing her eyebrows when she turned 13... I don't think I'd let her do her legs, that is a huge expense... $8 for eyebrows is not too big of a deal, but $45 for legs is more than I would spend on my own legs, let alone hers... :D

0
8 51

When they are old enough to pay for it, would be were I first started, then further the decision based upon your own values.

0