At what age should a child start using under arm deodorant?

Very active kids will often come home reeking of sweat. What age is appropriate for kids to start using deodorant?

10 11

There is not an "appropriate age." When they start to experience body odor, it's time.....whether they are 8 or 18. Generally, deodorant won't do much for the sweaty kid smell. It's not necessary until puberty starts in most cases.

19
0 0

I agree

1 3

The answer to this question is pretty simple: you can't prevent a child with body odor from using deodorant, no matter the age. My daughter is 12 and she has been using deodorants for the past one and half year. My question to you would be what kind of deodorant kids should use? I am very careful to what I buy for my daughter as a deodorant and I usually go for natural ingredients and always try to avoid all products that contain aluminium zirconium. What also works, you can always prepare a mild solution with water and sodium bicarbonate. I would love to read more opinions on what you use as deodorants for your young ones.

11
1 7

Our whole family now uses Tom's Apricot by advice from a friend. Safe and effective, w/o aluminum zirconium. :)

2 6

If you can smell your child, so can everyone else! Do the world a favor and teach good hygiene young!!! They will most likely get picked on at school as well...kids can be cruel! My twins are EXTREMELY active and deodorant just goes with that! They started wearing it at 6/7. Plus, the smell can be caused by a poor diet as well...

6
4 22

My daughter started smelling by 7 years old. I got her a girls deodorant. However, I didn't see anyone mention this: we started cutting her COW MILK intake. We have switched to almond milk instead. She still has cows milk(1% or 2%) once in a while but definitely not as often. I noticed that even after a lot of activity she doesn't smell nearly as bad. This has been true for all my kids. I think something in cows milk is triggering children to develop faster as well as produce body odor faster. I have nothing to back this up other than my observations with my children. It's something to look into.

5
0 14

I agree. My cousin went through this with her daughter at 7 yrs old and started buying organic milk instead. In my case, I had to start putting my deoderant/antiperspirant (Tom's wouldn't work) on my 7 yr old son after he started taking fluoxitine as part of an ADHD therapy. I only put it on after his bath and it lasts until his next bath in a day or two (depending on when I can coax him into the tub).

4 16

I would agree with some of the other parents. When you begin to notice that they have a body odor (especially under their armpits) and this is not during activity, but regular everyday exertion, it is time to use the deodorant. My daughter had to start using deodorant when she was 5 1/2 almost 6 years old. Yeah, if you can smell that they are musty, it is time. There are also lightly scented body/deodorant sprays for girls to use (I think there is something similar for boys as well).

5
8 0

My grandaughter is a runner and very active and started using deodorant when she was almost nine. No big deal. She showers every night and puts on the deodorant in the evening and again in the morning.

5
2 11

My youngest son is 10 and has been wearing deoderant for nearly a year. He is the youngest of 4 boys and wanted to mimic the older boys in their dressing routines. At first I thought it was sweet, then I realized he was already beginning puberty and HE was aware that he didn't smell "fresh" at the end of school. Zinc also helps them keep the body odor in check. So make sure their daily vitamins have a good source of Zinc.

5
0 2

Zinc is almost as good as Vitamin C for keeping colds AWAY too!

3 28

While agree that you should start your child on deodorant when YOU start to notice body odor, you should also think about your child's self esteem...if THEY feel they smell then you should allow the to use deodorant.
My major concern is actually that when my step daughter started the fifth grade the school REQUIRED us to send her to school with deodorant (which at the time she did NOT need nor did she want to use) for use after gym class. They also had a big assembly all about cleanliness and showering daily etc etc....I personally felt more than a little put out that they were telling my child what was acceptable hygiene practices and what was not...they even stressed shaving your legs and arm pits IN THE FIFTH GRADE! She was no where near ready or mature enough for those undertakings...so for the early bloomers yes 8,9,10 years old is certainly appropriate but for my late bloomer...she only started needing to do these things now...at almost 13 years of age. I have to say I was not thrilled at having to force her to comply with a rule that was far over reaching so that she didn't fail gym class.

2
1 8

"...they even stressed shaving your legs and arm pits IN THE FIFTH GRADE!" ...so if someone - child or adult - doesn't shave his/her legs and armpits that's unacceptable hygiene?!?!?!?

4 79

As soon as they start to develop an odor after participating in sports. I have 10 year old twins-boy and girl- and they both started using deodorant this past summer-my oldest daughter got her period when she was 10 and I am expecting the younger one to start any minute so they are certainly ready for deodorant too (I was 13 by the way so wasn't expecting the development so early!)

2
2 12

when a child enters his / her purberty age, it dose not matter wheather the child has a body oder not, deodorant should be part of his daily rituals, when their body system begins to change, everything about them changes also the smell, the smell might not really be an offensive one, but the deodorant is just necessary. body oder it,s a drifferent thing entirely, in some cases a child that has a body oder, needs more than deodorant to curtail it..

2
7 0

Just in the past month my daughter who is going to be 9 in this month started using under arm deodorant. I was sitting next to her and I notice a bad smell and at first I was not sure, then I figured it out. So I asked her to come down to the bathroom with me and without being mean in any way, I told her that she was growing up and that she needs to start using deodorant. So the next day after school I toke her to the store and I can not remember for the life of me who makes it, but makes deodorant for girls.. I told her to go ahead and pick a couple. She thinks its cool because I know this is going to sound silly, but we put our deodorant on in the morning together. My husband makes fun of us, but we don't care. We are having fun doing "girl" things!!

1
9 11

My 3 year old daughter thinks it's tickly and smells pretty so I bought her her own. She uses it first thing in the morning, after bath/shower and before bed. Sometimes she wants some before we go out somewhere. She doesn't have stinky arm pits or anything like that, she just thinks it's fun. She's going to need to learn how to use it eventually. Why not now?

1
0 0

Wow hope it's all natural. If not you're consumed by media and teaching that poor little one Way Too Early

3 0

I agree with all the others, when they smell! My daughter was about 8 when I started noticing she smelled horrible on hot days. I bought her her own deoderant and she has been wearing it ever since. I had to remind her for the first little while but I was so worried kids were going to pick on her for smelling bad! She has now gotten into the habit of using it and smells so much better!!

1
0 24

My now 7 year old son was staring to smell like an onion when he was 6. I asked the doctor about it and researched it online. Doc said it was normal and make sure he doesn't start growing HAIR in private area or under arms (that could be a sign of early puberty which is not healthy).

I also saw online that some deodorants are not made for CHILDREN. I saw that TOMS deodorant was best because it was all natural and does not contain aluminum.

Good luck!!!

1
2 14

As soon as they smell or show interest in using it. If a child is interested in using deodorant before they actually need it for practical reasons, it is good to let them, so they get into the habit early. When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed deodorant and I had bad body odor at the age of 10. It was embarrassing when a friend came and said, "you stink!". I used my monthly allowance to buy my own, as it wasn't bought for me, and I was too shy to ask for it. Thankfully when my dad saw me buying my own, he decided he would buy it for me from then on. I would rather buy for my daughter and let her know she can use it before she needs it, so she never has to be embarrassed like I was.

1
134 2

I think everybody pretty much answered your question. lol But I am going to say it one more time. When you notice body odor. Not sweaty kid smell after playing out side, but well you know what you smell like when you have body odor I am sure. We have all had it at one time or another. They say that you should by a milder type for your child but my son was really well, stinky and mild deodorant did not cut it for him. He started wearing it at age eight. Some kids are older. My best friends daughter was very young like seven, but her son did not start till ten. Then he really needed it.

1
0 7

Totally agree ;-)

42 25

When you notice the stench under their arms is strong when they are NOT at play.

1
2 0

Is it OK if my 3 year start to wear deodorant

0
2 0

It is of cause about odor when the child gets older, but it is always good practice to learn at a early age about hygien and it's just good to smell nice.

0
0 0

for the first time i noticed my daughter has a sweat smell........she is 9.....deodorant is needed. all types are safe? what is recommended

0
1

Possibly when they're 9 cuz thats when i started

0
521 10

My daughter's school required her to wear deodorant starting in 5th grade for gym class, so that's when she started. She never smelled bad.

0
353 0

When you notice a stink is probably a good time. :) Kids are maturing at a younger age. Our Daughter is 10 and I noticed her stinking.

0
505 54

I suggested it to my 10 year old when he started to get general body odor with sports. I did not force it, but figured starting the habit forming early would help the process go a bit smoother once he actually needed it!
We hit Disneyland this weekend and the temperature hit 90 degrees. My son, now 11 said, "mom I forgot deodorant today :)
Mission Accomplished

0
8 9

My daughter just turned 9 and started using it about 3 months ago. I use a natural brand..."Toms of Maine," for sensitive skin. Seems to work well.

0
0 2

When you smell underarm odor.

0
11 0

I really don't think that it is necessarily a matter of age, but more a matter of appropriateness. My twin boys who are almost 10 started to develop some issues with boyd odor almost 2 years ago. I use natural deoderants on them on most days, primarily for social reasons. My boys shower or bathe daily, so, it's not a matter of cleanliness, but of maturing. I would just caution on using deoderants that contain aluminum (as that has been linked to Alzheimers) and I really don't think that using an antiperspirant is very healthy for you. Your body was made to perspire and clogging your pours with aluminum just seems very unnatural, especially at such a young age.

Just my thoughts...

0
1 6

My daughter is 11 years old. she's using safe natural and non toxic product that cleans, disinfects and sanitizers. She's using "Blue Miracle" she applies it underarm, she also used as feminine wash and as a toothpaste. It is Kinetics Products. Actually our family use it for how many years.

0
0 1

As a mom and a teacher, kids should start wearing deodorant when they smell. My daughter doesn't get b.o. all of the time, but I am trying to get her in the habit of wearing it. She has had body odor off and on for the past couple of years. I just started making her wear it this year. She is in the fourth grade and just turned 10. I also teach 5th grade and my classroom can get a little ripe. I have made blanket announcements that stress the importance of showering and wearing deodorant. I do not require it, nor do I single kids out (even though I know which ones are smelling). I have had parents tell me they didn't think their children needed it until they actually smelled their pits. As for the kind, I have heard that antiperspirant is not good for kids, so I tried to find some without. I bought Arm and Hammer, but she hates it because it does not smell very good. Therefore, I bought some powder fresh scented stuff. I will have to check to see if they have that ingredient everyone else is mentioning about causing breast cancer.

0
3 4

I let my son start using it when he was about 5, just because he'd see me putting it on & want to do it too. That way he'd already be in the habit of using it by the time he actually needs it (he's almost 10 now.)

0
0 16

Everybody is diffrent in every way, and body oder is one of those things that are different. My daughter was about 9 years old when her arms start to smell and that is when she started using deodorant. Now my nephew was 5 years old when he started using it. So it all depends.

0
0 1

let my son start using deodorant at the age of 7 . hopefuly it will continure ready for the teenage years when it really does matter

0
0 11

I believe your child should start using deodorant when it's needed. My son is 6 and he still doesn't smell once he sweats, so he hasn't started using it. My daughter on the other hand, started to have BO at 5 and we started off with Tom's deodorant. It worked for a bit and then she stunk again. So, we switched to antiperspirant (which works), but I didn't like what was in it, so I did a lot of research and found an alternative. Milk of Magnesia (MOM)! If you can find a refillable roll on bottle and fill it with MOM, it works great! Just apply and let dry and you should be stink free for a good 12 hours or more hours. Unlike antiperspirant, it doesn't stop the sweat...but it does stops the stink. If you can't find a refillable roll on, just apply with a cotton pad. It's safe and super cheap. I buy the no name brand and it works great!

0
0 7

My son is 9 and has a very good diet but is very active. He baths every night. However, he really does suffer with body odour so for about the last 6 months I have been advising him to use deodorant. He doesn't like the spray as it's too cold! He doesn't like the roll on as it's too wet! However, we've compromised on the dry stick one now and he seems quite happy to put that on. I was worried about the chemicals in it too and am glad someone has broached this whole deodorant subject! :-)

0
0 12

My youngest child is 5, instead of deodorant my husband and I chose to use baking soda for her so far so good!!! It is economical as well!! Her armpits were ridiculous, none of my other three children had ever had this issue. Best wishes

0
0 6

My son's all started wearing deodorant when they started school. Always fresh and clean from the floor up.

0
1 0

My son is 6, and hours after he has stopped playing and the "sweaty kid smell" has gone away, when he sits too close to me I smell clear, dirty BO. About 6 months ago I started him on deoderant, and he uses it daily - he likes it because he gets to act like daddy! My daughter is 8, and although she doesn't have quite the same BO as her brother, I have started her using it as well. There is no right or wrong time when it comes to hygeine - all kids grow at different stages, and as a parent you just know...

0
0 8

My son is nearly 9 now and was wearing an unscented deodorant from the age of 7, He has always sweated quite a lot from a baby, and even though he washes himself well, he still has to wear it!

0
0 16

Whenever they start to perspire
My daughter is 4 and I had 2 start using deodorant when she was 2

0
0 19

Yes, I agree with moms that there is no appropriate age for kids to start using deodorants. Because some kids are sweaty some are are not and does not need deodorants for that matter. If you think your child sweats too much and is experiencing sweaty body-odor it is time to recommend the use of deodorants. Start with hypo-allergenic and for sensitive skin deodorants or those containing natural ingredients.

0