At what age would you let your child have a Facebook account?

How do you decide when your child is ready to have their own Facebook account? Would you put any restrictions on them or monitor their usage?

2 0

I thought Facebook put rules in place where a child could not have an account til the age of 13? I am very happy with that rule. In fact, I may even extend it. These young kids already have enough electronic stimulation, I don't think they need Facebook also. However, I realize it can be a fun way to communicate with their friends and possibly make new friends that they would not have otherwise met at school. Plus it's a fun easy way to share pictures. There will be restrictions however, and I will have passwords and monitor their usage. I don't want my daughters falling in with the wrong people or getting persuaded by people that are posing as kids. It will be difficult but I think as long as I always know where she is going and who she is with, it won't be a problem. Being aware of what your kids are doing aka being nosey, may save their lives! We are not their friend, we are their guardians! Here to protect them from what they don't yet understand.

21
1 7

Well said!!! Wish there was more of us!!

2 0

Yes. Facebook has a rule of 13 and up. My son is currently 9 1/2 and has asked for one with no success. I know that half his classmates *do* have Facebook accounts though, and that worries me somehow. They have to lie about their age when creating one, too.

6
2 1

good for u, parents r lying so their children can have a fb account

1 7

I love how FB has an age limit & yet parents ignore it. I would feel comfortable with 16. Kids have nothing to look forward to anymore. To many parents want to be there kids friend instead of there parent. I always say I am not here to be my kids bestfriend I am here to raise good independent well mannered kids. :-) When did we forget about our responsibilities as parents & just let them rule the roost??

5
2 1

good for u Heather, I remember with parenting class they said u can't be a friend and a parent. Too many kids r raising themselves. Such a shame.

0 0

I stongly erge all of you not to allow your children to have a Facebook account until they are graduated from high school. So many times children are rude to other children on Facebook and say and threaten things they typically would not say if they were face to face. When another child views a child as getting more attention then they are getting they tend to set out to hurt the child recieving attention. Then you will find that others will play into the negative attention. Sadly, it never gets better. I had my daughter delete her Facebook for that reason and other parents I know did the same with their children. It really is distructive at such a tender age when you are trying to build their self-esteem. They are children and they shouldn't be checking their Facebook day and night to defend themselves to others rather they should be out experiencing life and being happy with who they are.

3
0 20

I agree with this 100% !!

13 0

I allowed my daughter to start at about 12 yrs with the rule that I am her friend and will monitor her activity. She is 19 now and never had any problems. She now has a rule that, while I can still view and monitor, I am not allowed to write any comments for public view. As a college student, she says it is just too wierd to have a mom's comments mingled with her 'world'. Wanting to respect her since she is now an adult, I send private emails when I object to something.

3
1 78

I like this. I have a son who will be 13 soon. He's been asking for a FB account for 2-3 years now. I kept saying no, not until you are at least 13. I probably won't set one up for him until the next time he asks after his birthday. However, we home school and I keep them very busy. Not sure when he'll have time to ask-Ha Ha.

0 0

I wish people followed the age that you have to be 13 instead of creating a facebook for their kids at a young age. I had told my step daughter (11yrs.)who lives with me and her father that she couldn't have one until she was at least 13. Instead when she went to visit her mother. Her mother set her up a facebook account. I think that's just horrible and it sends the wrong message to kids who are under the age of 13 that it's okay to be deceitful. So I told her that she is not allowed to get on facebook not even youtube I'm amazed what kids that age do. I also had her give me her password because she does not need to have privacy. I can't believe how many 11yr olds have facebooks that their parents set up for them. My daughter has a lot of friends her age from school on there and the way they talk on facebook just upsets me. My step daughter hasn't written anything horrible but her friends sure have. They write some horrible things and the fact that their parents let them disgusts me. It makes me wonder what kind of parents these kids have and why they let their kids say things like that.

2
0 46

I will not allow my children to lie about their age. They can wait till they are older to join Facebook. Just because "everyone else" at their school has one doesn't mean they need one. They have to learn to be honest and follow rules and laws. Kids are growing up way too fast and they learn things way to early that they don't have any business knowing at their age. Let kids be kids for a while and do kid things. When they are old enough for one I will also have passwords to the accounts and will monitor them the whole time they are on it. They will not approve any friend requests without my consent. I may sound harsh or controlling but God lent me these precious babies and I am going to do what I can to raise them in a safe, happy environment. I know I can't control everything but I try to teach them right from wrong and set an example for them.

2
12 0

i respect your opinion...but im a teen and i will tell you if i wanted a fb account i would get a fb account there so many ways to do these things without your parents knowing...i think it would be better for you to set up an account and add there friends for them so they can communicate and share pictures and you can still monitor them but after 13 this approach wont work

0 45

FB has an age restriction of 13 and that is what we continue to tell all of our children, even though our oldest (who is 11) has several friends already with accounts. I've even had a few of the parents tell me I should sign him up and when I explain to them what FB's policy is, they say, "It's not a big deal." Well, this is what I say to them... "So, it won't be a 'big deal' when your kid starts watching Internet porn either?" Of course their answer is always, "NO!" or "WHAT?"

The way I see it is that if you teach your child that it's "Okay" to lie about their age to get something as harmless as a facebook account, how easy will it be for them to lie about their age to do other things on the Internet (dating, pornography, gambling, etc.)? If you teach them that there are rules for a reason and that it's important for them to follow those rules hopefully these values will carry over into other Internet activities.

By the way, if you know of any child under the age of 13 that has a facebook account, you can report them to FB and they will investigate and close the account.

2
2 5

my thoughts exactly

7 36

The key word is "kids". No child should have a Facebook account. Facebooks set age of 13 is alright but kids lie when making their accounts. I think parents should not let their children have accounts until they really are 13 years old. The Internet is not a safe place for children, there are too many people out there looking to hurt and take advantage of the nieiveness of children. If parents are going to let there 8-9 year old child have a Facebook account they need to observe what that child is doing to make sure they are safe and set very high security settings. Although I still do not believe any child should have an account before the age of 13 if you are going to allow your child you need to monitor them very very closely.

2
0 1

I think it's ok for kids to have a facebook account, as long as certain rules are followed. Rule number one...obey the guidelines set up by facebook and be honest about your age. Not 13? No facebook for you! Other rules in my house..mom (and dad) get to be friends with everyone YOU are friends with. You may NOT be friends with someone you do now personally know (no seeking out anyone). This one eliminates any predators. Our main purpose for facebook is using it to keep up with family members scattered across the country. We have a big family. These rules worked out well for my older 3 (now adults...they never had any problems and they are very picky and choosy about what comes across their page) and my youngest (12) has no problem abiding by these rules.

2 5

They have an age limit set a reason...I wish it was older...The parents who are letting the kids have an account younger than that are also teaching them that it is ok to lie. All the kids know that there is an age limit set. Kids are growing up fast enough...Don't you think.

2
0 20

My daughter just turned 12 in January, received a laptop and cell phone for Christmas and her birthday. I was actually against her having either one of these things for quite some time, but after enrolling her in a school that does almost all of there work on computers, we realized that it was necessary. Their books are on the computer. Each teacher has a class website that is the equivalent to an online classroom environment. They also set up an email address for each student, with patent permission of course. I was excited about being able to follow along with her school work so closely. For awhile everything was fine. So much so, that I had started talking to one of her teachers about possibly setting up another email for her so that I could open up her own Facebook page (since their school email was strictly for school work only and could not be used in this way.) This way she could share her daily life and some of her amazing art work with our family. But, that's also when things went bad.
She soon started going to bed later and later to the point that she was falling asleep in class. One night while my husband and I were up late watching a movie together, I thought I heard her awake in her room (it was around 11pm.) I asked my husband to go outside, peek into her window and tell what she was doing. There she was, on her computer. We immediately asked for her phone and computer and sent her straight back to bed! Luckely, I know enough about computers to look up her browsing history. After opening up her computer, I found that she had a window opened up to google and was searching "S&M". Needless to say I did not stop my snooping there. I found out, somewhat to my relief, that she had actually been looking up a Rihanna song called "S&M". It made me flashback to my mom being upset that I was belting out "Like A Virgin." …. Sorry Mom!! I quickly found out that only 2 days earlier, she had signed up and created a hotmail email account and then proceeded to create a Facebook account. Since my daughter was 12 and not 13, she not only lied about her age, but had made it so it showed her as 19. In 2 days she had acquired 33 friends, including almost every single girl that had just been at her birthday party. Again, none of these girls were 13. The next morning, we told her that she was grounded for 2 weeks and that during that time she was not allowed to have her phone or lap top. She would have to do all of her work from school. She went to school that morning in tears. That night, we sat her down and went over the reason for why we were upset. She seemed to understand. We also told her that we had canceled her hotmail account and her Facebook page. We told her that in a year, if she followed our new rules about the internet, that we would think about going onto Facebook together and start her a page, set up with the appropriate safety features. I have also contacted her school and asked for a parent meeting to address this problem.

2
13 0

Good job Mom. Some kids want to be independent too soon. Sounds like you addressed the issue in a timely and appropriate manner.

1 20

I let my son have a Facebook account when he was 12. The stipulation was that I was to have access to his account at all times. He is 14 now, and we still have that rule. I monitor his page (including his chats and private messages) no less than once a week, sometimes more than that.

2
0 0

My daughter was allowed to have a facebook at 16. The requirement was that she have both myself and her Dad as "friends." She will be 19 in May and is in college. She still has us as friends as well as some of our friends (many of which are like uncles and aunts to her). She has no problem with us commenting on her page and even welcomes it. We are not trying to be her friend at all but with us and our friends on her page, we can all monitor what is going on and she is still okay with that.

1
0 10

I think that the rules Facebook have put in effect are fine. They say that you need to be 13 to have an account, and to that end ask for your birthdate. Unfortunately, this is constantly by-passed since kids lie about their age, some with their parents knowledge and some without. I am sorry to see so many parents that just don't care about the guidelines of FB. I think this teaches kids to disrespect authority. My son knew about the rules and was content to wait until 13 even though his many friends--younger and the same age--lied to get an account earlier. Facebook often places advertisements that are not appropriate for younger children. While I monitor my sons account and probably will for some time, that is not the point. Facebook has a rule---and we should abide by those rules.

1
3 0

I don't remember exactly how old my daughter was when she opened her FB. She is 15 now, pretty much been a good kid. So I don't invade her space unless I find reason not to trust her. So far, so good. Haven't had any FB related problems. My daughter is not on my facebook so I can not even see her whole page as it private and friends only. However I do have a close friend who has access to her page and checks it periodically for me and reports if she see's any post of concern. And I did peek at it once when she forgot to log out and I saw nothing of concern that wasn't normal for a 15 year old girl. My friends and I kinda have a buddy system. We all watch out for each others kids. The answer is simple. It just really depends on the child. If they wanna get on FB and act a hot mess, then maybe they need to grow up a little more.

1
134 36

My son will have to be at least 13 before I even consider it but it would depend on how mature he is when using the computer and on the internet. If he is mature and does not misuse them then yes I will let him but if not he will have to wait until he has proved to me that he can use it appropriately.
If I found that he created an account early or with out my permission I would get him to deactivate it and if he didn't or reactivates it I would report it.

0
0 0

Yes

0
1

yes

0
9,593 15

My kids were allowed at 11 & 12 yrs old. That worked out perfectly for our family. I have all passwords, full access and they are now 14 & 15 and I have never had a problem.

0
8 9

From Facebook, "Facebook requires individuals to be at least 13 years old before they can create an account. In some jurisdictions, the age limit may be higher. Providing false information to create an account is always a violation of our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. This includes accounts registered on the behalf of under 13 year old children by older parties. "

So, in other words, don't register your kids under the age of 13. Why would you post that you do on a website?

0
3 40

My children could not have a facebook account until they were 14..As I felt they were more able to know about the pitfalls of who and who not to have contact with...

0
0 7

I let my daughter get here's at 13, mostly because of the pressure of my nieces that already had one. BUT, she had a list of restrictions most important ones were: I go in any day and just read posts, comments ECT and if there is something I don't approve that person gets deleted and accepting friendship before I check the person out and I have to know them or a friend personally, among other things.

0
0 0

That all depends on the maturity of my child. Nomatter what age though, I would monitor it periodically because children these days don't get that when they put things out on the internet, it could always come back at a later... more incovenient time. I don't know that he'll become president or a minister or anything, but it's better to be sure to know what's out there.

0
0 0

Having a FB account, I've found my students through mutual friends have accounts and many have lied about their ages...They have it figured out.

0
0 23

My son is 13 and has a facebook. My rule is that I must be a "friend" on his page, and I must also know his username and password so that I can monitor private inbox messages. I've explained that I'm not being nosy, but that a lot of times, kids say things and they don't really understand the consequences and I want to be able to help him and teach him. If he changes his password without informing me, I delete the page. No questions asked.

0
0 0

My oldest was 14, I think. I used the Myspace age rule, so maybe it was 13. I'm getting a lot of grief from my soon to be 11 year old and even some of the parents of her friends, that I'm not "keeping up with the times" by not letting her have one as well - but I'm standing my ground. Even though the oldest is turning 17, I still have the password to her account, and I do log in once in a while - I really do not snoop, I just want to be sure I do have the password. She changed it once without telling me, and I managed to change it again and log in and took over her account for a week. She'll never do that again! She's also required to be friends with me and her dad, and several of our neighborhood parents are on her friends list as well.

I've seen kids as young as 7 with facebook accounts - that freaks me out more than a little!!!

0
0 11

We let our son open an account at 13 with the following rules: he had to be friends with both his father and I and we were to have the sign in/password information. I went on and set all the security settings for him. I periodically login to his account as him and double check the security settings and check his IM for any concerning conversations threads. His account is an open book for his father and I. If he starts to fight us about it or we discover anything worrisome, the account gets shut down. So far, so good.

0
0 5

I Have 5 Children my oldest is 16 almost 17 and my youngest is 12 as of today my oldest son had to be 15 before I allowed him a cell phone or his facebook page and i am a friend on his page so i can monitor. I think parents should be more envolved in what their kids do and not let their kids be the parent.

0
2 0

My daughter is only 4 months old now and I already have feelings about a facebook page being out of the question for her. Actually by the time she may be ready for a page, facebook may be obsolete then. There may be something equivalent around though. I'm leaning towards being against her getting a facebook account because there are creeps that lurk on that site and also it's just a big distraction. Mostly a mindless distraction. By the way, I always thought facebook was mostly for college students?? What's up with children getting accounts now? There are alternate social networking sites that operate on a more intellectual level that I will encourage my child to use. Websites like wordpress, blog spot, & deviant art are all intellectually stimulating. I even might encourage something like tumblr to my child as it allows artistic expression and a blog spot will encourage her to write and allow her to write her feelings down.

0
0 20

First of all, they must be 13 to create an account. And secondly, just because they are 13 doesn't necessarily mean he/she is ready for a facebook account. Once my child reaches age I will look at all that is going on in his/her life. I will know if they are ready or not. There are so many concerns that come up when considering a facebook account for my child. Bullying, predators, foul language and jokes just to name a few. They are prone to all of it, even with the privacy settings.

0
0 46

Very well said

0 0

My son was 15 before he was ever interested in getting a facebook account. He gave me his password with the understanding that I would be looking in on his page a couple of times a month. The first time I looked I had to go in and readjust his privacy settings, but that was the only time there was anything that concerned me. My niece, on the other hand, required almost daily monitoring because of privacy issues, bullying, sex talk, you name it, even knowing her mother was looking. Kids are not all the same.

0
0 6

13 ,with the understanding I know the pass word and can get on my teens page at any time . Talking with your teen about safety rules before hand is a great idea. Having your on set of rules as parents for your teen is also good. Their not adults yet so be the parent.

0
0 27

My daughter will be 13 soon and can't wait to get an account... But we are dealing with the bullys in school so I am very leery about it. Her " grown" sisters have one so i am counting on them to monitor the things " sneaky teens" do! FB needs to put more restrictions in place for the parents to monitor so the children don't feel like they are being monitored. ( like tieing it to my account...notifications when someone tags something as offensive... I get the email). We shall see!

0
0 0

My son got a FB account at age 12 without my permission, I hadn't said anything one way or another about it so he wasn't defiant. I found out when he sen me a friend request. I went ahead abd let him keep it, I would rather know he had one and I could monitor it than him sneak and have one and block me so I didn't know. I just laid down rules about it and monitor it. He is almost 14 now and it hasn't been a problem. The good thing is I can use it as a behavior modification tool bc he hates to get it taken away.

0
0 0

Kids can make up a later birthdate than they really are.

0
6 96

i agree with mary kay weerth my son was 11 and my daughter was 9 yrs old when i signed them up BUT I KNEW THEIR PASSWORDS AND I ATHORISED THEIR FRIENDS THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED TO ADD ANY ONE THEY HAD NOT PHYSACLLY MET THEY ALSO HAVE MSN BUT THE CHAT ON FB I HAVE THE COMPUTER DOWNSTAIRS so keep my eye on things, have had no problems with this they are now 13yrs and 15yrs my youngest is 6 and yes he has an account ready and waiting for him he only has family memebrs as friends and all he plays is the games i have the chat turned off and he does not know how to turn it on and i am with him the whole time.

0
0 2

I too signed my kids up, under the age of 13, I have their passwords, I monitor their account on a very regular basis, my son could care less about FB and my daughter loves it because almost ALL of the kids at school have it. She is Not allowed to add anyone I don't know, I've seen a few of the older kids from school on her friends list and I've deleted them and she has been told not to add anyone that I don't know. As a matter of fact, my kids have 2 older step brothers and they are teenagers and my kids are not even allowed to add them because I know what is on their pages, they don't live with us so I can't monitor their accounts. I think it has been great, we have family in BC and Nfld and its been a great way for them to still have regular contact with them all. If the parents are doing their jobs then it can be very safe for kids to use and I also never made an issue that it didn't have their proper age and they've never really inquired about it. To each their own....

0 25

If I can get away with it my children will never have a Facebook account, however I know this is unlikely. So I will say 13 but it really depends on the child my eldest daughter is very head strong and will not give into peer pressure, so I will feel more comfortable with her. I can't really say how I will feel. About the others. I think it depends on the maturity of the child.

0
6 96

ok thats fair enough but i do know that 4 of my daughters friends have account ok No1 the parnet i spoke to said "OH NO NO WAY WILL SHE GET A FB ACCOUNT UNTIL SHE IS OFFICIALLY 13" she was 11 1/2 when i saw she had an account the other 3 were about this age to one of them does not own a computer at home but instead they went round a friends house and the friends helped set up emails and fb account and as the mum's did now have account or even own computers had no idea so ok i hope it all works for you but just be careful that it doesnt back fire on you (and i dont mean this in a nasty way just trying to be helpful) cause when thee parents did find out the were devasted. its a bit like when my daughter started seniors we went clothes shopping for uniform i chose a skirt to her knees she looked at me with sheer disgust so i did bow down and got her a skirt a little shorter due to the fact i knew that it might be to the knees when she left the house but by the time she got to school it would be rolled up lol! so i felt i want to know what shes leaving the house like instead of being lied to

711 9

It totally depends upon the maturity level of the child. Yes I would monitor.

0
82 19

my sons only 2, so have lots of time, but i think 16 sounds good! lol as i often see things that are very inappropriate for children on fb, i dont think it is a place for kids! i know a lot of ppl that allow their kids on(under 10) i know the parents r monitoring their pages n we do work together as parents to ensure their safety, but that doesnt stop them from seeing all the other things that are available to fb users! even some games r not suitable in my eyes for kids!

0
8 3

I will recommend as much as you can delay the better, I have two daughters and my oldest one started around 15 years old my second is 12 1/2 and she doesn't have it, I have some friends that they allow to have a fb before but I also think that depends in the kind of kid that you may have, how responsible it is, how good it is in school and other things this will be a privilege to have, good luck

0