What is an appropriate age for girls to start wearing thong underwear?

How old would your daughter need to be before you allowed her to wear thong underwear?

10 56

I'm sure I won't get any "likes", but I think many of those who responded are overreacting. My daughter is 15 and she does own 2 thongs that she wears occasionally. (She bought them with her own money.) She also has bikinis and even "granny" panties. I don't stress about her underwear, there are so many other things that are more important. My daughter and I are very close and I am very proud of her. She's a straight A honor student at a performing arts magnet school. She is active in our church and the head chorister of the youth choir. She works 15-20 hours per week as a Sonic carhop, and does community service every week. She has lots of friends, both girls and boys, but has NEVER been on a date. She says that she doesn't have time for dating right now. Do I care that she occasionally wears thong underwear, nope. She's a great kid!

238
43 2

Actually Laura, I would give you two likes myself if it was possible. One for posting your comment and the second for raising a great kid!

6 9

When they can drive themselves, pay for it themselves, and learn to wear clothing that covers their underwear...Underwear is meant to be UNDER!

66
43 2

So then about 16 is what you're saying.

173 27

I have to disagree with the majority, and agree with Triwan. What you are all stating are facts on g-strings, not thongs. G-strings are the one's that can lead to infections, etc. Thongs are wider, not "floss-like" and not everyone who wears them has them handing out like a stripper. They are very practicle to wear for those of us who don't care for panty lines, and are not dangerous like a true "g-string". Again- just my own opinion, and I don't think people who choose to wear them are skanks if worn wihtout them handing out to be seen by the world.. About how old a child should be.. I am a mother to twin girls who will be 16 tomorrow.. They would have never even wanted to wear them a year and a half ago... but as they have gotten older.. probably about a year ago or so when they were just 15, they asked for them and I said no at first... as this past year has gone by- they are definately turning into young women and I don't think I have the right to force Monday-Sunday underwear on them anymore.. they undress in front of people at school for PE, they want to fit into the "norm"- I do prefer they were the women's briefs (I think that's what they are called? Kind of like women's jockey's or whatever...)- but they do choose to wear thongs sometimes too-- they bought them themselves with their gift cards or money from Christmas and birthdays, and I don't see a problem with it.. Realistically speaking- teenagers are going to do what they want, all we can do it guide them, be there to listen to them, give the best advice we can, and hope they make good decisions, but also realizing that making both good and bad decisions is all part of growing up... So.. I allow it personally- and I also am very open to having them on birth control and how to prevent STDs.. I am not an idiot- I was 16 once, so were all of you... knowledge is much more powerful then worrying about if they are wearing a thong or not.... Just my opinion.

38
43 2

Thank you Valarie. I personally wear them all the time when I am not on my period. I don't put them on and think "sexy thoughts". It's not about sex, they're just undies that don't show the imprint of what's underneath what you're wearing. Just like a bra, once it's on I don't even realize it again until i go potty. And yes, thongs and G-strings are two totally different things. They now make pantyliners for thong undies. Not sure how they make you skanky, lol unless you go around showing it to everyone but then that means that full fledged undies could be considered skanky too if you go around doing that right? Oh, and I can honestly say that I have never gotten a UTI, infection, etc.

10 13

I have to admit that I need to do a self assessment answering this question. I am now 57 and was one of those "rebellious teens" My mother thought bikini panties were a sign of loose moral character. Needless to say I wore them when I moved out at 18. I married young and my husband at that time opened my eyes to "sexy underwear." So when I reached my 30's I tried my first thong and never had a problem, except finding ones that remained in place & were comfortable.

Now I don't have a dughter but do have 5 sons. And I would rather have a daughter wear a thong than a guy with his pants hanging below his butt crack. I told my sons if they ever wore pants like that they were fair game for me to pants them anywhere and anytime!.

36
0 14

Ditto the butt crack...! Love it!

1 0

My middle DD, aged 14, is a dancer and cheerleader. She is required to wear them under her costumes and chooses to wear them under her booty shorts because panty lines are not okay...(neither are bra straps showing) There is absolutely nothing sexual about wearing one, and while she wears both kinds of underwear, bikinis and thongs, it's all about the underwear NOT showing (especially over the top of the pants). Unless you choose to make it a sexual issue, it isn't. I don't so it isn't.

32
2 1

My daughter turned 16 a few months ago and just a few weeks ago request to try thong underwear Her reason, she is also a cheerleader and says that after wearing them under her uniform spanks it was much more comfortable! Her team doesnt require the no panty line, but they also require the no bra showing.

9,593 15

Whenever they decide they are ready for it. It is their body and they need to be able to wear what they feel comfortable with. Who in heavens name is going to know or see it anyways, it is underwear what is the big deal?? People in my opinion are ridiculous not allowing their children to wear what underwear they so choose. Good lord so many million of useful fights to have this doesn't even register on my radar as a fight worth having.

30
9,593 15

I seriously doubt a 6yr old is going to ask for a thong. I was thinking more on the fact when they are a preteen or teen but honestly it is underwear it is just not that big of a deal. Just because it is a different style then I may wear. I could honestly care less, it is such a minor issue to ever worry about in my book and I will take pride in the fact that I will allow them to choose the undergarments that are most comfortable for them without making it such a big deal.

2 3

As to age, my daughter got her first thong when she was 14, with her own money. Thongs are not G-Strings, but are simply an alternative to full coverage. They are not about sex, but about comfort. I bet this question would have been posted about bikini underwear years ago, and now they make bikini's for little kids. Honestly, there are more important things to stress about. It's the way we bring up our children that counts, not what kind of underwear they wear. Adults make many decisions for their children, and by the time the kids are teens, they should feel confident they can make a few of their own decisions, comfortable in the love given to them by a parent.

I do not own any thongs, because I prefer more coverage, but my 16 year old daughter wears them and tells me they are comfortable.(Yes, she also wears boyshorts, has bikinis,and a few "grannies"). She is straight-laced, does not date, is a straight A student, and is not skanky. We are very close, and I am proud of her and the way she handles herself and life in general. I agree that underwear is not something to stress over, but is a matter of personal preference.

23
43 2

Thumbs up!

2 0

18 or when they're out of my house and/or I'm no longer supporting them!

23
0 0

Right on sister!!! I'm readding all of these posts, and frankly, I AM SHOCKED at all of these mothers that advocate their "13 & 14" year olds wearing thongs!!?!??!!! WTH!!??? WHY would any CHILD have the need to have "less coverage"???? If my daughter becomes a cheerleader, when she's older, and they "require" her to wear thongs....that's the last of her cheerleading career, until she can support it on her own (on EVERY LEVEL!) What the heck do you mean, "NO PANTY LINES"??? Who the hell needs to be looking at my daughter's bottom!!!?!??!!! I do not advocate it until they are of age, and HOPEFULLY out of my home? :/...For many reasons, the obvious health concerns (leads to more feminine infections), but also the MORE OBVIOUS, thongs, g-strings (even if they are slightly different), were created, invented, came about for their aestheticly sexual appeal and the feeling of going comando without REALLY going comando...this being said, NO, my "13/14" year old daughter does not have the emergent NEED for THAT!!!! I also, would NEVER allow for my daughter to wear those "cute little" shorts/pants, etc., that have sayings across her butt, either!!! AGAIN, why would I want to draw/attract attention to my daughters butt!!!?!?!? With all the pedophiles in this world...why the need to deliver a message via my daughter's bum!!! I think it looks cheesy/trashy, for ANY age, for that matter....heck, I'm not going to allow her to wear a bikini until she's about 16, or older, if I can!! With all of the sunblock that we're supposed to make sure they lather up with (I live in Florida:), why do they need "less coverage"??? Bikinis were made to get a serious tan, and to look sexy, while doing so!!! NOT for MY daughter!!! These little mini mommy bikinis that they have for babies, may look adorbs...but are they neccesary??? Are they even a "smart" choice, given they whole sun/skin cancer concerns???....so, RIGHT ON SISTER...18 & outta my house!!!! :)

7 0

I won't get any likes for this, but I think what kind of underwear a person wears should be personal preference. With teenagers, I've learned to pick my battles and if wearing a thong gives her a sense of belonging in the locker room because all the other girls do, I'm OK with it. Nobody wants to be laughed at in her underwear and as long as she doesn't go around showing it (which she doesn't), it's on her.

16
34 14

when I was young my mother thought my bikini briefs were a disgrace!she wanted me to wear theese interlock Granny knickers! OMG Ive worn thongs for years and God knows after 5 kids its nothing to do with showing off my figure,I just like them in town with my 15 year old daughter I saked if she would like a pair and I got a firm no! so its a matter of taste really isint it?

15
0 0

This is not a black & white answer question. There needs be some talk with your daughter regarding this. First I would ask why does she wnat to wear them? then take it from there. If she is trying to make a fashion statement and allow others to see them - then I would say 18. Is it to wear one for an outfit ( no pany lines) then consider it.
I see it as this being really about - how does your daughter portray herself and what message is she want to send.

14
43 2

Right on Mia!

1 5

My daughter is 15 and started wearing a thong at 14, she is a good kid, in ROTC, well behaved and has no desire to do what all her friends do,its her prefrence and i have to let her be her own person, just because she wears that doen't make her a skank

14
43 2

Kudos also to you for raising a good kid. Another example that it's not what you wear under your clothes that makes you a skank, it's your attitude, how you carry yourself (like a lady not a tramp) and choices that you make that will make you a skank.

9 19

When she moves out and I am no longer doing her laundry!

14
0 27

I am the mother of two daughters. One is still in diapers and the other still in character panties so the topic of discussion is not applicable to me for a few years. However, as a former high school teacher, I can think back on the hundreds of teenage girls I encountered on a daily basis. Ultimately, thongs are as innocent, practical, naughty, or scandalous as the person wearing them. Consider the two scenarious. A high school student is wearing a form fitting, yet tasteful, dress to prom and has to decide, "Which type of underwear is most appropriate for this dress? Would having panty lines call more attention to my body than an invisible thong line?" Another high school student is wearing hip-hugger jeans with her thong strategically placed above the waitstline so that when she leans forward, her thong is exposed. Again, the issue is the intent of the person wearing the thong and not the thong itself.

13
6 16

My daughter who is 18 now asked for a pair about 3 months before her 18th birthday to "try "them...I allowed it although I personally would not wear them..they look like they would be uncomfortable. I don't allow her to have them showing, but then I want all of her clothing to be respectable. Since then she has bought more with her money. At this point she is an adult and While she lives at home and has to follow my rules still, I don't think underwear is something worth fighting about! My other daughters are 13 and 12 and I probably would say no at this point. They have not shown any interest and make a face when they see them in the laundry. lol

13
0 0

OK...this response should REALLY infuriate a few of the people on here, but it is my opinion. Our girls are growing up in a society that gives way too much importance to LOOKING beautiful and sexy, but no one discusses FEELING beautiful and sexy. Being comfortable with our bodies and our sensuality as women isn't something one gets on their 18th birthday. It is something that develops throughout life, each one of us at different times. Girls should FEEL beautiful inside and out no matter what they LOOK like. It is our jobs as mothers to cultivate that sense of self. FEELING good about the way we look or dress is NOT skanky. It helps us be more confident in life and interpersonal relationships. I know plenty of skanky girls who are not allowed to wear thongs, and I know plenty who are allowed to wear them that are wholesome, wonderful kids. When your child feels like it is the right time for them, it is your job as a parent to know whether or not your child is making the decision based on personal preference or peer pressure. Just like we let our girls wear makeup to feel pretty, or jewelry, or fashionable clothing, or whatever, underwear is the same thing. No one has to know what your daughter is wearing under her jeans but her, and that doesn't make her a skank. It makes her a girl who is growing into a woman, which is what all of our girls are going to do whether they wear thongs, granny panties, or boxers. Worry more about what your girls are DOING and who they are BECOMING and how self-confident they are, and worry less about how much fabric is covering their butt UNDER their clothing.

12
1 7

@Jennifer If I could give you 10 thumbs up votes I would.

8 24

I find the responses amusing, but not to say you all aren't entitled to your opinions. My daughter is only 9 and has a BIG issue with "wedgies" so I won't have to worry about this for quite sometime. She does wear bikini's and hipsters because she doesn't like anything on her stomach/waistline.
For those who are ok with thongs, if you are ok with them why do you make your daughters buy their own? If they are JUST underwear, why do they have to purchase them? Do you buy their "granny panties" or briefs? What's the difference?
I personally have too much junk in my trunk to wear such an item.... LOL

11
10 56

My daughter buys her underwear because I am thrifty and usually buy the 6 packs at Target.

2 22

I feel maybe this had caused quite a stir from the few answers I have read, but my opinion for what it's worth is I will never buy my daugther a thong (it's just not a mum thing to do) she can buy them herself when she has her own money and decides she wants to buy her own underwear until then its normal pants or the boxer short type for her. thongs maybe pocket money prices these days but I have a feeling once she starts getting regular pocket money she'll be far more interested in buying felt tips and paper and things to create and do than buying underwear when I already buy it for her. don't think I owned a thong until I was 17.

10
0 20

My daughter is 14 and I allow her to wear thongs. She wears them with certain pants to avoid panty lines and I find nothing wrong with that. I've raised a very good child, we have great communication and a great relationship. I really do not think that the type of underwear a girls wears says anything about the type of person she is. As the mother of a teenager, there are other battles that I'll save my fighting for.

9
4 1

My daughter is 21 now, engaged and wore thong underwear sometime around age 16 and OF COURSE purchased them w/her own money she made at work. She's an amazing young woman and wore them for the reasons many of you described, panty lines etc. Who knows maybe she even wore them to feel sexy. That's okay because she wasn't having teenage or premarital sex.. She is the only one of her friends, and maybe the only girl in her high school, to graduate a virgin. I'm not naive enough to believe she and her fiance haven't been intimate but he would be her first and only. In this day and age if you can raise a kid to be kind, have compassion for their fellow man, even if they don't like them, respect for adults and authority figures, hard workers, honest, integrity keepers with good self esteem, then you have accomplished what's important.

8
19 11

Preferably never.

8
2 5

That was my first thought!

0 20

My daughter is 13 will be 14 in a few months.. And around her 13th birthday, she asked if she could try one. I asked her if there was any special reason and she said that her regular panties made lines on some of her shorts. I said sure , and she now has many pair and wears them when she feels what she is wearing requires it. She is the recepient of the Presidental Award three years running. She is a good kid and I see nothing wrong wiht her making a choice on what Undies she chooses to wear. She is not skanky... underwear does not make one a skank. She is an intelligent, responsbile young lady who likes thongs !! I worry more about her choices in friends than her choices in underwear.

7
0 47

I'm just wondering but how tight are her shorts? I wear bikini or hipsters and my underwear line rarely shows with anything I wear. Just wondering? Not judging, just asking.

1 0

Wow, hard to believe this is even an issue. I'm actually laughing at some of these over-reactive, Puritanical responses. For me, thongs are simply more comfortable (cuz non-thongs end up crawling up anyway, so I'd rather have LESS material up there, thank you very much). I don't even OWN any non-thong underwear. My daughter is only 3, so it's not an issue yet...but if she wants me to buy her thong underwear when she gets older, I can't imagine why I would say no. Now if she's letting it "peek out" on purpose, that's a whole different story...but that would apply to any kind of underwear.

7
1 7

I totally agree Natalie. These women are not only ver-reacting they are control freaks.

1 19

My daughter is 15 and has a few thongs in her collection. She was curious because I wear them. I told her they are great for when she wears something that would otherwise show a pantyline. I make no big deal over it and she is fairly conservative with her attire anyway. When she was younger and showed curiosity over them I let her know that they were for older girls who didn't want a pantyline to show. She is a great kid and thongs (when worn appropriately-not for sexiness at that age) is perfectly fine.

7
1 1

I think its a silly question. they are panties. Sometimes they make sense for a dance outfit or cheer uniform. My daughter is 13 and has never worn one. But if she wanted one or needed one for dance then I think it is perfectly fine. I hated panty lines in high school so I always wore them for regular wear and for dance and cheerleading. Really not a big deal in my opinion. those that make a big deal are sending the wrong message - like they are a sexual item or something. They are just cotton fabric people.

6
0 32

My DD is 12, nearly 13, and I have always struggled with the lack of young clothes out there. If you want a mini-me 20yo then no worries, but in a world that wants out littlies to grow up far too fast, its hard to find modest clothes that let a little girl be a little girl. I have never encouraged the little bralets - not because I wanted to steiffle her, but simply because they weren't necessary. The moment she bloomed I was out there buying her proper bras. I guess I feel the same about the thong (which in Australia incedently is a flip-flop worn on your foot lol). When she needs it for what ever reason I'd be happy to purchase it, but for now, she's more than content wearing her 'granny undies' lol. I think a moral conscience, healthy self-esteem, and a generous heart, are far more important than underwear nobody see's. I will say again though, lets do our very best to let our little girls be able to stay little girls as long as they possibly can - it gets stripped away from them far too early these days.

6
43 2

I agree with you to a certain extent, however, I don't think what they have on under their clothes is what's going to influence them the most. MEDIA, ROLE MODELS, and PEER PRESSURE.

5 25

It really depends on the girl and how she wears them. If she's showing them off so they obviously show above her waist (whale tale) and her shirts are too short then she is using them as a way of saying "look at me", and therefore not mature enough. I think no matter what the occasion a girl under 14 should not wear thongs. Although I do understand in a sport like cheering and perhaps dance it might be fairly necessary.
Even though many of us may not look at thongs as sexy there are just as many who do. As much as we have the right to wear what we chose is right for us, we are also responsible for acting and dressing appropriately for certain occasions. For example wearing a thong and leggings to dance is one thing but not to church. A pet peeve of mine is when I see thongs hang out the back of a young teen's low rider jeans in church. It is distracting to adults, teens and children alike. I see it all too often.
As mothers we are responsible to teach our sons and daughters that how we dress sends a message. So whether your a boxers or briefs guy, a boy short or thong girl, thats your choice, your underwear and no one else should see it. If no one can see it, then there is no speculation, leers or comments.

6
0 20

I completely agree!

0 50

While my husband and certain friends may disagree with me, I would allow my daughter when she decides she would like to try. My daughter recently turned 11 and has a very curvacious figure. Remembering that I was the same build growing up, I know how uncomfortable bikinis and "granny panties" were for me. I stand with some other mothers that have commented in saying, if you raise your child properly, it should not matter what is under her jeans! THONGS are perfectly fitting to wear under certain slacks and dresses. In my opinion, more attention can be drawn to the panty lines being shown.

When my daughter turned 6 she asked to try "boy-cuts" and I allowed her. They turned out to fit her very well and were the most comfortable for her. I do not think that allowing your daughter to wear a thong qualifies as "following the times". To a properly brought up girl, underwear is underwear, and their preference is just mainly about comfort.

I have worn thongs for 20+ years with no problems of yeast infections, urinary-tract or vaginal infections,tears in my urethra and outer vaginal area, chafing, hemorrhoids, or clitoral irritation. If you are taught to be clean, keep your underwear choices to yourself, and dress appropriately, no one will even know what you are wearing!

Boys/young men are given many options for underwear and we allow them to choose based on comfort, why not our girls? Saying no to thongs for our girls, is like saying no to boxers for our boys because (pardon the phrase) "its easy to whip out". Just my two cents. :)

5
1 7

Thank you Stephanie for the voice of reason. You sound like an intelligent woman who is raising a great kid!

0 16

I wear them to avoid panty lines when I wear slacks. It is about looking nice in your clothes and being comfortable. If you make a bid deal about it they will just rebel about something else.

5
0 0

What? Really? Who cares?

5
0 12

First of all, I am going to have to agree with all the other moms who believe there are better things to worry about than our daughters underwear. At least they are not showing their butts. I have allowed my daughter to wear them for years, we even go to Victoria Secrets to buy bras and underwear together. I personally won't wear them because I don't like anything like that, I would rather go "Commando" than wear a thong, but I have no problem with my daughter wearing them. Now I do believe girls should be teenagers before they start wearing them. I remember wearing pantyhose without underwear and that was perfectly acceptable when I was a teen. I also remember trying to find underwear to wear with those jeans or dress pants that didn't have back pockets, which was next to impossible until they came out with those Lovepats. I love my daughter and I am truly glad that she shares everything with me (including things I really don't want to hear but she trust me and I trust her to make the right decision for her). She is a GREAT girl, smart, funny and beautiful!

5
2 1

when she is old enough or mature enough to make the right decisions

5
3 20

I do not think there is anything wrong with them in there teens. My daughter is 18 and has purchased her own this year. Now her dad on the other hands thinks it is very wrong for her to wear them, but I believe she is an adult now and can wear what she wants. She is on birth control and we have talked so just be safe is all I can ask.

5
0 0

There are much worse things, pick your battles.

4
0 0

I personally wear thongs all the time expect period time. I think underwear is underwear it is what you feel comfortable wearing not someone else. I think that when it comes time for them to decide what they want to wear then it is their choice. I agree with Laura there are bigger things to worry about.

4
0 0

My youngest daughter is almost 19 and she bought a few of her own maybe 2 years ago - I was kind of shocked when I first saw them in the laundry (after all she's my baby!) but I gave her a good natured hard time about them. She was class president at her high school for 4 years, in the honor society, captain of her soccer team and a host of other very positive roles including active in our church, so I dont see the big deal about them either. I personally dont like them but she dresses conservative so no one sees them anyway. I think when they're mid to late teens and they are acting responsibly it should be their choice...

4
0 20

I agree with Laura. My daughter started wearing thongs when she was 13-14. she bought them with her own money. Had male and female friends was an honor student and was not promiscuos. She is now 26. Married for over 5yrs, Graduated from 2 colleges, working as a teacher, and pregnant with her 1st child. I am so very proud of her and she was not altered negatively by wearing thongs.

4
0 5

I asked my 14 your old daughter what she thought about thong underwear.

I got the no way known answer, she sees it as a torture device. Who would purposely wear their underwear up their bottom..............

I suppose she has a point. LOL

4
4 6

I like your approach. If you talk/ask them about it, it in no way can become "taboo" and I think 9 times out of 10, (if it is not already considered taboo) that they will have no interest in such things.

1 12

I think she is old enough as soon as she can give you a valid reason why she should be wearing them (and not because they are cool!). I have see a lot of great responses by other people who's daughters were wearing them for a reason. My daughter is 18 and refuses to wear them because they are uncomfortable, but if she felt it was necessary, I am sure she would.

I think you should look at the clothes your child is wearing and why she feels the thong is appropriate...

4
5 3

I dont think parents should encourage anything sexual for their children. Thongs, belly button rings, short shorts & so on. Girls should be raised to be ladies that respect themselves & their bodies. If they so chose to do those things as an adult its on them. Definitely have an open relationship with them & talk to them about the pros & cons to these things.

4
44 11

Thank you Jennifer! I agree with you, although I'd still prefer they didn't exist!