What are the best snacks for kids?

Balancing nutrition with the practicality of your child's diet is important and sometimes challenging. What is the best thing for your child to munch on?

1 5

We eat a lot of fruit in our house, but we also have cakes, biscuits, bread, cheese & crisps.... I have 7 healthy intelligent children of average weight for height - I agree with the the whole fruit, veg thing but not always instead of a "unhealthy" treat/snack and I'm proud to say-so!

13
0 12

:) I think you sound like a wonderful mom.

1 10

For my little lady fruit and veggies are the best snacks. They are easy to pack and travel with. I always keep small snack packs of berries, (blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry)apple slices or grapes with small water bottles any time I leave the house. My daughter also likes to snack on broccoli or cucumber slices I also put a few in snack bags. I am always ready for a snacks on the go.

6
0 12

good show!

37 40

We are a fruit, raisin, nuts, and wheat crackers type of family. We also make sure that our children are not snacking all day. This gives them the impression that they can just eat all the time. We have three solid meals a day and 2-3 snack times. Unless there are special circumstances, we don't have extra snacks outside this time. Not only do our snack choices teach them good choices, but the timing teaches them self-control, patience, and schedule.

6
0 21

Fresh fruit goes over really well at our house and so I keep a constant supply of berries, melon, grapes, etc. I like to pre-wash and keep them handy for Austin to snack on while I'm preparing meals or for snack time.

3
0 12

keeping them handy and easy for the kids to get at is such an awesome idea. kids typically go for whatever is easiest, and it they have to wait for you to fix it up for them, they will not eat nearly as much of it :) good answer.

0 0

my kids like grapes with cheese cubes. or peanut butter and apples. I try to give them fruits or vegetables with some kind of protein to keep them full

3
0 12

good stuff!

0 31

We are a veggie, fruit, nut and cheese/yougurt family. Veggies and fruit are healthy and easy!

3
0 12

sounds good and healthy. good to get them started on yogurt early. sometimes if you don't, they never seem to like it, good job!

0 0

my kids enjoy munching on home made trail mix.
cashew nuts, slivered almonds, dried fruits: mangoes, coconut, cranberries, pineapple and raisins. I don't have to worry about how much they eat of it because by then they're so tired of chewing the small bits... it's a sure tummy filler!

3
0 12

great choices! can you be my mom?

3 34

I find that it I pack the nutritious food in an interesting box, bag or other gimmicky container, the kids LOVE it. Found this out when we went to a kids' birthday party at a major fast food chain and the kids couldn't get enough of the apple pieces in a little cellophane bag! Rather than the fries or nuggets. It's all in the presentation.

3
0 12

there is a lot to be said for that tactic. I still believe in presentation, whenever I serve food, especially to my daughter, who is now 16. she can fix a lot of things for herself, but sometimes I spoil her.

3 20

The great grandboy loves nuts, especially catchews he calls them. Also grapes, carrot sticks, melon sticks and string cheese.

3
0 21

I love it, my Austin calls cashews the smiley nuts :)

236 7

Fresh and dried fruit, nuts, veggies, cheese, whole grain bread or crackers, brown rice and beans, quinoa with tamari, steamed milk, yogurt, homemade popsicles made with wholesome ingredients (fresh fruit, yogurt, etc.). Some good fats... a little butter, a little olive oil and vinegar, avocado slices. I agree with Mary, in that you can ruin mealtimes with constant snacking, so it's good to have three regular meals supplemented by 2-3 healthy snacks for growing kids.

3
0 12

sounds like a lot of work, but good choices. I believe in 3 well rounded meals and then leaving healthy snacks within reach. I never had a problem with that tactic, but to each his/her own :)

31 9

When kids are hungry for something quick, easy, compact, and not quite so filling teach them to reach for whole fruits and veggies. Let them eat as much or little of it they like. The only principle that matters when it comes to nutrition is to fill them with absolutely as many nutrients as possible. To sweeten the deal treat them with a small amount of salad dressing, nut butters, or hummus etc. but let them know its like the cherry on top of an icecream sundae. Just a little is more than enough ;)

3
4 20

My 8yr old daughter loves fruit cups, granola bars, Quaker oat rice cakes, cheeze-its, Teddy grams, gram crackers , Smoothies, yogurt, crackers, fruit, pop tarts, and carrots with ranch. Those r pretty healthy and u can buy them in bulk. They also make great lunch snacks.

2
0 12

that sounds awesome to me! my daughter likes those things as well, except for the pop tarts.

7 0

Our favorite new snack is light fat free Yoplait in any flavor mixed with fruit (nectarines, apricots, plums, etc.) and some organic apple cinnamon o's (or plain for that matter). My 3 year old loves it! He will never ever pass up veggie straws dipped in hummus or guacamole either!

2
51 36

My boys love cold grapes, or apple slices dipped in Nutella or peanut butter.

2
3 83

I have put out a variety of chopped veggies with ginger dressing (in the produce section of Publix) almost every afternoon for 10 years. Since it's out there, chopped and ready for some good dressing...the kids have always filled themselves up on that, and then done their homework or sports. I also let them have a few extra Juice Plus+ gummies if they are about to participate in their sports. Water is the only beverage we have in the house. I have sometimes made lemonade by squeezing 3 lemons to a gallon of water, and sweetening it with Stevia and some Tupelo Honey. All three of my kids have been great students, with little to no "drama," they have great skin, and have never had a cavity. They excel in their sports, and lead an active, healthy lifestyle. We are all passionate about health, and I have learned "if you don't buy it, they can't eat it." If you put it out and make it easy to eat, they probably will. We have also made Juice Plus+ a part of our family's daily routine for 7 years.

1
0 12

I think you are a smart mom.

1 0

Frozen grapes are yummy....almost like an icey popcicle in bite sized pieces. We also eat Shaklee Cinch Snack Bars (10 grams of protein) Yummy flavors chocolate decadance, lemon-cranberry and the all time favorite peanut butter. Also like yogurt with fruit in it.....I freeze ripe bananas and make smoothies too...YUM! Raw string beans with ranch are also a favorite...even for breakfast! String beans don't know what time it is...if kids like it and it's healthy why not!

1
0 12

I see some good choices on there!

1 48

my daughter Lvs carrot sticks cucumbers n mango slices n she Lvs houmous dip as well which is full of goodness i always let her av a sweet or cake tho at 3.30pm wid a 4oz of milk i believe tht unhealthy treats shud b ate in moderration there is so many healthy alternatives these days :) xxxx

1
0 12

good job, mom :)

0 17

apples with peanut butter

1
0 12

that is always healthy :)

1 0

carrots celery veges and dip and always have fruit. Although bagged chips are on the shelf, it is something he will go for but we won't put them out. So our kids feel they can have it, but if you serve them...they will eat. Also have ice cream too, but we ask they give the veges a go first.

1
0 12

sounds great. have you ever tried frozen yogurt or greek yogurt? Just curious. I have always kept ice cream too, but I think if I had gotten her on Greek yogurt at a young age, she would probably love it. she does love frozen yougurt. ice cream is not bad, it does provide pleasure and calcium :)

38 4

Minigo yogurt for calcium and protein. Any fruit cut up or whole. I saw this great idea where you get a very small glass (even a baby food jar would work) and put a little bit of veggie dip or dressing in the bottom and then put some long cut up veggies in standing up. I have been told to give my 3 year old high calorie foods so anything I can get him to eat I make him often. A piece of toast with peanut butter on it often does the trick in our house accompanied by half a glass of milk. Cheese and crackers with a couple of cubes of ham is good too. Apple sauce, raisins or other dried fruit, homemade granola bars or homemade low sugar muffins, and of course smoothies. Dont forget to add some veg to the smoothie too such as spinach, you wont even be able to taste it but will be getting a serving of vegetables too. You could even freeze the smoothie in popsicle moulds for a healthy frozen treat. Frozen grapes are good for older kids too.

1
0 12

good mom :) and am I the only one leaving comments? or can I just not see the others. I am starting to feel like I need to comment on all of them now. LOL

0 0

My kids love pistachios,go-gurt, apples and strawberries. My son prefers salty things so he also likes goldfish or pretzels. He's a very small kid so I do tend to let him eat what he will, just so he gets enough food. We supplement with carnation breakfasts. The chocolate powder has Vitamins similar to pediasure.

1
0 12

sounds good, you can't beat strawberries for nutrition, or apples. also, your son will change his tastes, they tend to change them every few years, more often when they are younger. you are doing well. everything will work out fine :)

6 7

I'm trying to wean us off the salty and sweet snacks that are so tempting. I make sure I have a bowl of fresh fruit on the counter or in the fridge and I also have string cheese for a little dairy break. My biggest issue is portion control. One of my kids only wants to eat saltines and chips and stuff. My other son can't stop once he starts eating. Any suggestions for how to control how much my kids eat?

1
0 3

Absolutely! I offer up what I want them to eat and then give them suggestions of say three healthy choices. I always do a protein, fruit and/veggies with whole grain. I like pistachios or walnuts for protein and some diced cut up pears, apples, pineapples, strawberries and so on. Banana and peanut butter or almond butter and a kashi bar. I will split a banana in half for my two for portion control since this is a snack, add peanut butter or almond butter and maybe a few whole grain crackers. I suggest hummus and veggies with a stick of part skim mozza

3 7

With my husband being diabetic and one of the 3 boys being ADD amonong other issues, we don't have sugary and high carb foods around. We keep fresh veggies and nuts for the kid to snack on when they want that extra boost

1
5 17

My boys always like carrots with lil fat free ranch dressing or celery with peanut butter and raisins gogurt tubes fresh fruits and veggies with fat free dip

8 15

String Cheese, we buy the type made from 2% milk. It's delicious and easy, my kids love them.

1
0 12

yes, if your kids love that, you are lucky! it is a wonderful snack!

6 5

Fruits and veggies are the best, of course. But we also pack Oatmeal Square cereal.

1
111 46

Fruits and veggies throughout the day.
I am a WAHM and I used Pinterest for alot of the ideas but dressing the fruit up and freezing certain fruits have helped my 3 yr old son to eat healthier.
I choose healthier snacks due to the empty calories and no nutritional value. Once he at junk food he was hungry within a few hours.

0
80 10

We always have fruit and vegies, Miss 3 loves eating fresh beans at the fruit shop lol I have always made treats/snacks for my child instead of buying. I make cakes with lots of fruit in them, hot cross buns/raisin bread/sticky bun from one recipe, muesuli bars, LCM's, muffins sweet/savoury, gelato & ice cream, dumplings (her favourite treat) and then I freeze everything. So the night before or that morning I would pull out something for her to eat that is different everyday! "Go Between" is your best friend in the freezer it prevents things from sticking together.

0
0 0

Fruits the none acidic ones

0
0 5

Fruits

0
128 22

Fruit, fruit, and more fruit! Get them into healthy eating habits early with yummy fruits. Everyone has a favorite one!

0
0 12

yes, fruits are good.