What is the best way to help your child with constipation?

Constipation is frustrating for you and your child. What are some ways to remedy your child's constipation?

3 15

caro syrup works wonders for constipation.. It tastes good too make some pancake and put one teaspoon on then like syrup and within an hour thell feel better. If they are too little to eat the pancakes u can mix with anything... Works good in milk too... :*)

5
24 8

Yes, when my son was a baby I added a teaspoon of dark Karo to his formula and it worked without giving him diarrhea. The trick is it has to be the DARK Karo. My daughter had more severe constipation and the Karo trick didn't work. I ended up having to use suppositories on her and those worked, and she eventually outgrew the constipation. My kiddos are 4 and 2 and they both eat lots of fruit and stay very regular.

1 0

My son gets severley constipated, we tried laxatives which didn't work on him, he even went for two colonoscopys to find out what the problem is, the coloprep which is supposed to clean out the bowels didn't even work for him. Our only other option was to go and see a surgeon to investigate the matter further, until someone told us to try a tablespoon of olive oil daily and prune juice every other day. Well that worked, he is regular now and a much happier boy.

5
17 7

Avoid BANANAS! It was my daughters favorite fruit and I had no idea that they were constipating! She is now 2, and it still has that effect on her, so we really have to limit it. It's amazing what changing one thing in your diet can do.

3
2 17

My daughter has also struggled with constipation since she was a few days old. She is now 3 and half and still drinks prune juice mixed in milk which she loves. She eats the fiber gummys ever day and uses Miralax as needed. At one point she was on Miralax daily until she became more regular. She will ask for it when she knows it is getting hard to go to the bathroom. Fruits also help. Any of the "P' fruits will help....pears, peaches, plums, prunes. One a day and you will see a considerable difference. We try to give her a high fiber diet but she is very picky. Whole grain pasta and bread help in that department.

3
12 10

In a word: SMOOTHIES! Children love smoothies and all you have to do is find the flavor they most enjoy and then you can totally mess with the ingredients! Get some Organic Flax seeds and grind them up (if you have a coffee/spice grinder) and if you don't, then look for FLAX MEAL. They thicken a smoothie without messing with the flavor or texture. If they love strawberries, you are in LUCK, baby, because they are chock full of vitamins AND fiber! They also hide just about ANYTHING.

Some recipes:
Half of a bag of frozen strawberries
1 banana
1 cup of vanilla or plain yogurt
1/4 cup flax meal
OJ/AJ-whatever's in the fridge!

Place the ingredients in the blender/smoothie maker and let it go until well blended but not too soupy.

Frozen fruit makes for a thicker smoothie and no need to add ICE-which is non-nutrient and just thins out the goodness!

Other ideas: in the fall, we love to gather pumpkins but carving/decorating pumpkins are almost flavorless. Pumpkins are WAY good for you and they have TONS of fiber! SO! I gut them, save the seeds for roasting (YUMMY and SO nutritious!) and then peel and steam or roast the flesh. Then I puree it and pour it into ice cube trays, to store for later use (it's also the palest of oranges-this is NOT pumpkin pie cured pumpkin!). Every time I make spaghetti sauce-in goes about 2 cups of the puree-thickens the sauce, adds tons of vitamins and NO flavor at all! I drop the cubes into the blender when I am making smoothies, into the sauce when making apple sauce, into the boiling stock when making risotto, polenta, or rice!

A side note: for babies experiencing constipation due to the introduction of solid foods, I have a plan that works every time and has saved more of my friend's babies from enema's and GI visits! Every day, they get a "jar's" worth of any kind of squash puree with corn pureed into it, as well. For one week, this is the plan. Then, after a week, add in pureed prunes/oatmeal in and within a day or so-WATCH OUT! They will poop out everything they've got, so be prepared! Fiber helps liquefy stool, while proteins harden it. Corn is a natural roto rooter and "scrubs" the sides of the intestines.

3
6 5

My son who is now 4 began having problems with constipation at 3 days old. Numerous things have been tried but what ultimately work with him was recommended by the GI department of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. I would consult a specialist to see what dosages would be right for your child and how to follow a weening schedule but we gave him Miralax every day for 2 and 1/2 years. It is a gentle laxative that is NOT absorbed by the body so it can be used long term. It pulls water into the bowels to help soften and movel stool. In addition he was put on a high fiber diet. They require him currently to have 9 grams a day. They suggested using a fiber supplement specifcially Benefiber, because you will not increase to the proper amount a fiber daily but manipulating diet alone in toddlers/preschoolers. It can also be added to everything. I worked daily in finding foods that would he would eat so that I didn't have to use as much of the supplement and now after a year off the Miralax we are still problem free. The key was using the miralax while getting him a regular intake of fiber either through supplement or diet and then weening him off the miralax. We still have an occasional set back but we are on track. It can be time consuming but tracking what they eat and how much to make sure that they get the right amount of fiber is important. Lots of water is important too. I got my son to drink more on his new diet by fun cups with straws and water bottles. Hope that this has been helpful.

3
0 32

My son has been constipated lately so the doc has me giving him Miralax daily. Now he's either blocked up or has the runs. Giving him just water also helps. But most of what he eats usually is what binds him up because hes a picky eater. All he eats is oatmeal, cheese sticks, yogurt, mac & cheese, fish sticks, chicken nuggets and peanut butter crackers. Doc says he will eventually get normal on the Miralax. I hope so.

2
0 0

i was told to stay away from cheese sticks, peanut butter, yogurt and processed foods.

0 8

My son has had constipation all of his life. Now 4 years old my mother told me to do a cup of organic apple juice with a 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice. Aloe heals the stomach and fixes what every intestinal problem naturally. It worked wonders and fast. He has it every morning now. On top of that we always keep blueberries handy, he's eaten so many one time his poop was blue! I have been doing this for a year now and I will continue this forever!!

2
10 32

My son was born without an anus, and had surgery for it. Therefore we have to always keep an eye on his bowel among other things. As a baby it was easier to get him to eat the right things and we stayed away from bananas and carrots as they can constipate. As a 3yr old it was harder to get him to eat enough of the right things and he began getting constipated. Children's bowel clinic told us to either start giving him exlax daily or learn how to give daily enemas. I didn't like either plan and began looking for something more natural. The answer came in the govt recommended servings of fruits and veggies. It was that simple. Of course, I couldn't get him to eat that much in a day so we all started taking Juice Plus and many things have changed for the better in our health. He is a very regular child now, my daughter's asthma is better, and I haven't had any migraines, cold sores, or inflammation in my wrists... and it gives me more energy during the day. I would highly recommend it to anyone!!! Check it out by going to juicepluspro.com

2
0 0

I think we need to take reponsibility for the food our children eat. I hear too many people say their children are picky eaters and will only eat chicken nuggets, chippies, pizza etc etc. They eat those only because we as parents make them available to them. My child is a fussy eater and would live on those things if I let her. But come on! We are the parents. If we allowed it, our children would live on ice cream! Who is in charge here? Please Mum's - of course it's not easy to get your child to eat healthy things that they don't like but we have to find the healthy things they do enjoy but make available small amounts of the things they don't like and keep offering them from time to time. Tastes change.
Also some of the replies about the constipation were a little rude! People blaming the parents for not helping the children exercise more and eat more healthy. This can of course be a factor but don't assume these things aren't happening in the home just because a child is constipated. Be a bit more supportive. My daughter is five and ever since starting on solids when she was 1 and a half years old - yes! I breast fed exclusively until she was that old because when I tried her on solids she refused or got constipated! I tried her when she was 8 months and she got sick. So I breast fed til she was one year old and tried solids again. She got sick again. So then I let her wait til she was ready which was 1 and a half years old. She was NOT small! She is a big girl - not fat. But very solid and tall. She struggles with constipation. We've tried doctors and different meds and kiwi fruit, prunes, flax seeds, you name it.
One thing for people to know which is important * Too much fibre can make the problem worse rather than better. Please keep this in mind. You can overdo the fibre in trying to overcome the constipation and unwittingly make the problem worse rather than helping.
It's a terrilbe thing to deal with and so frustrating!

1
6 62

Both my daughters suffered constipation, it began for both of them when they went from breast to formula, in my 2nd daughters case i avoided formula and bf for 20 months - still the minute she drank cows milk it was the same. DD1 was saved by 'lactoluse' - this did not work for DD2, it gave her a bad stomach. DD2 was constipated for about a year!! I tried changing her diet, givin her syrup of fig daily, making sure she stays active, but nothing worked.
In the end I got her some Movicol on prescription, its a paediatric laxative, and it works wonders!! Finally I have my happy child back :) She will need to continue taking the laxative for another 4 months at least, utill the fear of going has totally disappeared. Since taking this medicine she has been potty trained and we have no more distressed screams when she feels the urge to go.

1
14 2

Probiotics daily have been the trick for both my daughter and I. I hide them in her apple sauce. If she needs a little extra help, mangoes.

1
279 28

introduce a lot of fibre into thier diet. Fruits and veggies and cereals do that best. Hold back on the cheese, meat, eggs and sugary things a bit. LOTS of water (water helps to soften and lubricate the walls of the large intestine to move food through) and adding things like pears, prune juice, etc will help on those days where he/she is really constipated.
Do the first things on a regular basis though. Pro-active approach is best.

1
4 3

My son started with consitpation at 6 months old even though he was receiving breast milk. It took a couple of years going back and forth with the pediatrician and his recommendation of adding fiber before he realized we needed help. When at his 3 year appointment I mentioned continued issues with constipation the doctor spewed his "Fiber talk", but I answered with the fact that Ethan drank 5 oz of prune juice mixed with 5 oz of water each day along with 5 prunes after each meal along with all of the fruit he loved to eat as well. He was shocked and finally decided that a specialist was needed. The specialist recommended Miralax and it worked wonders. However, because of the years of painful bowel movements Ethan still held out as long as possible. There was at least 1 pair, many times more, of dirty underwear each day. The pediatrician recommended having Ethan sit for 10 minues after dinner each day. The reason is because once you start eating your digestive tract starts working so the chances of a bowel movement are higher, but you have to give it time. Again, because Ethan struggled for so long, he still couldn't relax on the toilet. Another doctor recommended having him sit on the toilet facing backwards because that relaxes all of the muscles of the pelvic floor making it easier to go. It has made such a difference and hope that it helps with you. So, add Miralax, sit on toilet for 10 minutes after a meal, sit facing the tank so the legs are spread out. Good luck!

1
3 9

wow! these are all great suggestions.
I give my son 2 prunes and ripe papaya whenever his is constipated and it works every time.
Also tons of water. Just pure, plain water.

1
5 37

Every child is different,it is best to try lots of different things until you find what works best for
your child. Some doctors say to give your child lots of fresh fruit and vegtables plus plenty of water, and some say to make sure they have plenty if fibre in their diet. My son suffered with constipation last year and i tried giving him lots of fresh fruit and vegtables but that didn't work for him,so i went to the doctors and he gave me a lactulose solution for my son and said to try that and thank goodness that worked for him as i used to get upset when i see him straining to go to the toilet,because i know what it is like to be in that situation myself. Thanks to the solution he is now regular. So i'd say to keep on trying different things till you find what helps your child with his constipation

1
3 1

I agree every child is different and water is the most important part of everyones diet along with 'real' food (food that come from the earth, not made in a factory so they don't expire for years) but it has recently come to my attention that a large percentage of adults & children have some amount of Gluten intolerance...constipation is a symptom!...asking your doctor for a blood test to test for this could be an effective way of getting more information as to why you child is constipated.
Hope everyones child(ren) are feeling better soon! :)

1
1 3

My daughter had constipation issues and we started giving her fiber gummies three times a day. She enjoys them and it really helps to keep her regulated.

1
0 0

where can u find this fiber gummie?

3 8

Prunes or prune juice are all good and trying to eliminate processed food works like a charm, so if you like try to introduce wholegrain foods such as wholemeal flour instead of plain flour and so forth. Hope this helps.XXOOXX

1
1 1

Eating a banana and a fruit bowl every day works like a charm. : ) We live in the desert and I also have my kids drinking water all day - NOT juice. If they are having difficulty I give them 1/2 of a square of the chocolate exlax to help soften it up so they don't strain themselves at potty time.

1
2 55

I would say the fruit bowl is what keeps them regular, as bananas are bulky...

1

clearlax or mineral oil ,a spoon of either usually helps.

0
2 0

i want to give my son chocolate laxitives to help with his constipation but do i give it to him when he gets a bout of constipstion or on a regular basis or even if this is a good idea

0
98 0

Besides the magic fruits - pear, pineapple, plum, grape, grapefruit,...
Plenty of fiber (brown breads not white, nuts if not allergic, green veg, muesli for breakfast)Keep them hydrated (drinking enough) and keep them well-exercised.

But I was just writing a glycerine suppositories review (again!) and saying how they're not addictive and how they can be an everyday household essential if your children have stubbornly irregular unhealthy bowels. Personal exp: it may be that you're giving your kids all the right food and drink and you still have to give them a suppository to ensure they do a dooh every 1-2 days. Or in potty training, to ensure they don't get constipated by resisting, ensure do a dooh at the appropriate time.

0
505 54

Aloe juice. Strawberry Kiwi flavor I buy through Market America is great and taste good. Mineral oil is a cheap go to as well. A tbsp. in a glass of apple juice. My youngest suffers and so do I. Dehydration is the main reason for constipation, make sure you watch your child drink a LOT of water.

0
2 0

A tbsp. Of aloe or mineral oil in the juice...and is this for you or your son?

0 0

yes I got many tricks but,when you have a child with severe cp the body dosent work the same as other children.

0
2 0

Flax seed oil was the only thing that helped my 9 week old daughter. Prune juice did not help, nor did karo syrup.

0
505 54

Flaxseed oil is good. If you can get them to drink it! lol

2 0

I am gonna try Olive oil straight ,tee spoon. or myralax I think that is how its spelled. I been dealing with this for over a decade with my sick child.fleets work great also especially the bottle ones not suppository ,they work but other one quicker ,they got baby size also.

0
505 54

Try Good Belly Drink in the juice section at most grocery stores. It is safe, can be drank daily and taste good! Unlike the olive oil straight. Good belly is also good for the digestive track so, win-win!

1 0

Pediasure with fiber works for my baby.

0
0 0

Please see my blog on integrated health care for more ideas. As a practitioner and single mother to four vibrantly healthy children, I have raised them without the need for drugs or medical care. If your child has constipation, they are acidic (please buy test strips from the pharmacy and test - if below 7.4 they are acidic). So, what does this mean? The blood MUST stay alkaline for us to survive - that means if eating a highly acidic diet (dairy, meat, grains, sugar, fruit), the blood will, by default, strip alkaline salts from anywhere in the body it can, causing havoc (known as disease - even low immunity) elsewhere.
It is easy to correct. One of my twins had quite a serious problem but thankfully I could maintain her until I discovered the real cause. For the first year of her little life she needed enemas frequently and was in so much pain it broke my heart. Even though my children were raised vegetarian, the fruit and dairy content were still too high.
By replacing these foods (which, incidentally, are NOT the healthy products we are lead to believe), and correcting her pH on a constant basis, she no longer has the problem. I know if I were to have taken her for medical assistance, she would for sure have been in a very bad way now - the child quotient of my clinical work includes a high rate of childhood constipation and many of these children have been left with chronic health issues because constipation is treated medically by forcing the bowels to become highly acidic (which yes, may flush temporarily, but in the long term actually breaks down the bowel lining and affects everything from growth to blood cell manufacture) - some of my patients have even had bowel surgery. What an awful, needless thing to put a child through!
So please, replace the acidic foods you are now using, with only alkaline (acidic foods should only ever be a RARE treat, like birthdays) - and give a small, half teaspoon of bicarb of soda (aluminum-free baking powder like Arm & Hammer) in water twice a day. Watching a baby suffer so badly with chronic constipation (thanks to a slight lower bowel deformity), now running around as a healthy little girl with no problems - isn't that vision worth taking a chance and trying this?

chrysalisintegratedhealth.org

0
505 54

What are the test strips called to buy at pharmacy? Are you testing blood sugar levels or are you testing acidity? Are the strips for blood or urine? Thanks for insight

20 0

Give them an enema...thats what I had to do for my neighbor's 6 yr old lil girl I was babysitting this past week. She was constipated and I tried juice and even suppositories and they didn't work. I wasn't even sure how to give her one but figured it out. I had her lay on a bath towel on her side but couldn't get it to work. She's really small back there so I had her lay on her chest with her bum in the air where I could see what I was doing. It took me awhile to get it all the way in her bum but once I did it worked. I had to hold her cheeks together for a lil while and she was able to go after about a minute or so...kinda a messy process but well worth it for her since she now feels a lot better.

0
7 0

great idea :)

113 5

Apple Juice throughout the day 1/2 & 1/2 diluted with water.

0
93 0

Pears and a run around the block. Minna

0
58 6

My son had terrible times going he had blood in it sometimes dr said mix 1 oz of motts apple juice 1 oz water and give him a few bites if baby 1st step prunes it worked. I'd suggest speaking with his doc just to be sure there is no intestinal problems or blockages if it doesn't work

0
29 1

Avoid or limit anything in the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples, toast). LOTS of fluids (water is the best if they are old enough). The most important thing is to keep them as regular as possible. Otherwise they develop "lazy bowel" where the bowel stretches out and stops sending signals to the brain that they need to go" Get them regular again and the bowel will go back down to normal size. Our now 19 month old has always had constipation issues and staying on top of it has been the key. If she goes more than 2 days without going we intervene with either a stool softener or a suppository if it's really bad. When she was much smaller we used corn syrup as well ( have to say we didn't notice a difference between the dark and the light). Milk can also be a bad culprit for little ones with constipation.

Our diligence has paid off, in the past 3 months I have only had to give her a softener once so we are pleased!

High fiber diets can be helpful but if it ESSENTIAL that it includes LOTS of water or you will make the problem worse. Someone here mentioned the P fruits and I totally agree (although you can add apricots to that list). Fiber from fruit is absolutely the best fiber (and those fruits have the right kind of sugar that stimulate the bowels).

0
77 30

I have IBS myself and have always gave my kids water when they get constipated from birth as it helps sometimes it just means they rnt getting enough water and a high fibre diet works too. When they were baby's I just added an extra ounce of water to there formula and that helped.

0
20 7

The Dark Karo always worked for me too! Apple Juice contrary to popular belief usually makes constipation worse.

0
0 4

One can take 1 tsp of Mineral Oil ,put it in juice ,it will not cause Loose Bowel, but will help soften the stool for easier B M's

0
0 15

make sure they eat enough fruit, like apples... whole grain breads too. I use whole wheat flour quite a bit to when making pancakes.

0
0 0

push water and grapes

0
3 0

MAGNESIUM, consult your pharmasist on the dose and it is also good for muscle development

0