What is the best way to put your baby to bed?

Sometimes it's hard to get baby to feel tired at a normal time, but we all need sleep! What are your surefire ways to get baby sleeping?

32 5

I made the biggest mistake with my first baby, I never put him down and i catered to him sleeping in our bed with us, and although he is certainly a very cuddly sweet little boy, he is not as independant as i would like him to be. So when my daughter was born i made up my mind to do it completely differently. I made sure to put her down when she is awake, I have a musical aquarium from fisher price attached to the side of her crib, and i let her go to sleep on her own with the music playing... i needed to be a bit tough with myself to not go running every time she whimpered, most times she puts herself back to sleep within moments of whimpering. now she is four months old and she is sleeping about 10 hours a night... another important thing for all NEW mothers to remember, is that your child will cry when he/she is hungry... so ignore the bit in all the books or what the nurses in the hospital tell you about waking your baby every four hours at night to eat... feed on demand, its the best way for you and your baby to get the much needed sleep you both need. It makes for an irritable baby and one who gets used to waking up for a drink at every odd hour of night to do it the way the books suggest. feeding on demand is natural for both baby and mother

13
4 13

great work - I learned the hard way with my first too and have done the same with our second and she is a much better sleeper for it :)

1 4

Havn't a clue all three of my kids were bad sleepers from the 8 yr old who was in a strict routine to the 15 mnth old who isn't

2
235 30

I like what Meaghan had to say, except I find it difficult to stick to that when your baby shares a room with other children who need to be able to sleep and your child crying wakes up your husband who works 2 jobs and needs his sleep desperately. So for me I've consigned myself to making sure my son is asleep before I lay him down and occasionally let him sleep with us when he's not feeling well.

1
10 66

Hate to tell you, but there is no "best" or "surefire" way to get your child to sleep. Not trying to be negative nancy, but think about it, all babies are different. They all have different needs, at different times, and grow at different rates. My personal opinion is that a set routine generally makes things a little easier getting the little one down to sleep at around the same time every night. I know we all have crazy busy schedules, and that things come up, so you won't always be able to do everything to the t. Parenting is about trial and error, not perfection. I am so blessed, both of my girls would sleep for a good 6-8 hours at a time around eight or nine weeks. However, I like to try and get them to bed around 8:30ish, and our routine is to take a bath around 8 or so, make sure they've had a bedtime snack, or bottle. Something to drink generally helps too. Then the teeth brushing, a book, and then cuddle time for a few minutes. They are usually awake when they get laid down, and I don't run to their every fuss. It may not work for everyone, but it seems to work for my babies, who are two today (Nov 2nd), and ten and a half months. Hope this helps! :)

1
4 24

Lavender bath for babies. Fill the tub add one mama and one baby. Soak, play, nurse. Get out, put on jammies, say night-night prayers, and put to bed.
On nights when baths didn't happen, jammies, nursing, prayers. Then, I would put baby to bed and go do something (e.g. go to the bathroom by myself for the first time all day, rotate laundry, run the garbage out). By the time I had done one of these items I would go check on baby and he would be asleep. It kept me from going in to check on him while he was falling asleep.
Now that they are older (6, 4, and 3), bathes are still the best, but when that doesn't happen, jammies, teeth brushed, a couple stories, night-night prayers, a favorite stuffed animal or two does the trick. Basically, a routine. Create one that works for you and then stick to it.

1
18 30

Oh man, this is a tough question! I don't really think there is a 'best' way, but I know that routine has been good for us. Our son is now almost five months old. He naps super consistently at 9am, noon, and around 3pm for a bit. He goes to bed around 7:30pm but seems to wake up screaming after an hour. I finally started letting him cry for a bit, then go in and comfort him, rock him, and put him down again. He just started sleeping for 5-7 hour stretches and wakes up once to nurse. Before last week, he cried all the time before napping, and would cry at bedtime for two hours or more whether I was holding him or not! He was also waking up 3 or more times a night to eat. I am not sure what changed, but it seemed to coincide with letting him cry. I do not mean the 'cry-it-out' kind of cry, but we just let him cry for about 20-30 minutes and reassure him and then pick him up, snuggle him, and put him back down. He falls right to sleep! Since doing that, he has been a changed boy! I think they really respond to routine and consistency- so maybe after this big, long post, the best way is the consistent way- and remember- all kids are different and things won't always work for one that did for another!

1
61 33

I nurse to sleep. He's 9 months old and bedtime never takes more than 10 minutes :)

1
4 13

I dont mean to be negative but I did this with my son (who is now 3) and we are only just getting him to sleep in his own bed and through the night - It may seem like a good idea now but it will get harder the bigger he gets

17 1

Elijah spent his first month in the NICU, so when he came home, I kept him on the same feeding schedule.... but when it came to his 9p-10p feeding, I would give him a nice bath and then feed him. he would be fully sleep within the next hour and would sleep for about 7 hours... it's our nightly routine & he's now almost 17 months.

1
2 20

I got my advice from my mom who says I was a really difficult baby and she sometimes bathed me 3 times a day. So Daddy fills the baby bath every night and we have a nice warm bath with lavender baby stuff and then a bottle. Since I started doing that Dylan sleeps for 6 hours straight and he is only 2 months old today.

1
5 0

Hello! I co-slept for 10 months and my son would wake up every 40 minutes to nurse. Exhausted, I started a sleep-deprived mommy support group and eventually found some solutions for my family. I moved my baby to his own bed and then started helping other moms in the same boat as me. Since then I have helped countless other families. There is hope!

I started a sliding-scale sleep training consultation business after helping many families get the sleep they needed.

sweet dreams pdx offers customized sleep plans that you can feel comfortable with and follow up email and phone support. You are not alone!

I work with all types of families. I offer help with co-sleeping, night weaning, transitioning to crib, sleep training, re-training after sickness or traveling

sweet dreams pdx is here to support your family in reaching your sleep training goals.

Don't give up! Contact Mitzy at http://sweetdreamspdx.com/

0
2 33

With all my children I have kept them on a strict bedtime routine since before they were born. Every night at the same time, I would relax and watch a movie, do whatever to calm down. When they were born I would put them in their bassinet at the same time every night.
Routine is a big thing. If you don't have one it is going to be hard to put on in when they get older. If they cry rock them back to sleep put them back in their bassinet. I did however keep them by my bedside until they were six months old, then I put them in a crib in their own room.
To this day they all go to bed at the same time without hesitation.

0
4 1

My son usually sleeps very well and on almost perfect schedule-but sometimes he fights it and it seems he never can fight long after a nice warm bath but here's the difference-after the bath wrap him in a nice warm towel and give him his nice n warm cozy blanket and or pjs straight out of the dryer-just gotta heat em up for a few minutes to give that toasty feeling and its usually drift off time before you know it!!

0
2 11

I give they a warm bath, lotion and powder them down, then give the baby a nice warm bottle of milk. Next thing you know they are sleep and most of the time will sleep all night.

0
14 12

My little one is 16 months and just getting used to being put to bed and falling asleep on her own but usually she falls asleep having her bedtime bottle

0
3 13

my son is 13 months old and last night was bad he went down at 9 then back up at 2 and never went back to sleep untill 4. i work full time and have to get up at 5 so i need to know how to make him sleep through the night

0
2 8

Having a solid bedtime routine worked for us. As babies, the bottle before bedtime was the key. As toddlers, running them like dogs (metaphorically speaking of course!) all day long to wear them out is a must!

0
2 66

I play with my child (who is now 10 months) by kind of chasing him around the house because he likes to run from me, afterwards he goes in the tub for a nice warm bath then a bottle with a little cereal fills him up and he is down from 8:30 p.m until 7 a.m the next morning. He has had this sleep schedule since about 6 months old! We love it because it also allows mommy and daddy time to sit and watch t.v or talk before bed as well!

0
8 62

My daughter that is now almost 11months is still getting up at least 3x's a night! I need some suggestions as well as to how to get her to sleep through the night. Some people have told me their child didn't sleep through the night until they started school. Please tell me this is not the case for me!?!

0
1 4

My son is 15 mnths old and is awake between 4 - at least 10 times a nght,I no exactly how you feel. I have a 8 yr old and a 5 yr old and they both never slept threw till they were over 2

2 52

Fix them oatmeal wth water n milk n mix it up n then warm up the oatmeal n all n feed it 2 ur baby or give them a warm bath n after the bath put night loation on them the purple bottle loation n then feed them oatmeal wth water n milk mix it up then warm up the oatmeal n it will be warm 4 them 2 sleep

-1
2 0

I have no clue cause my 13 month old will only sleep in the daytime and is up almost all night. Im going to read alot of these tips and try.