What is the best way to teach a boy to sleep in underwear?

Even if children are potty trained during the day, bedwetting at night can still be a problem, so many children sleep in pull-ups. How do you train your child to sleep in underwear and prevent bed wetting?

7 15

I know boys are different, but with my daughter, I let her wet the bed several times so she would feel how uncomfortable it was and stop doing it. I figured changing sheets was cheaper than buying pull ups (which I had been doing for months). It dawned on me that when I was potty trained there were no pull ups. I was just potty trained all at once. So that made me decide to trust my daughter. She wet the sheets for maybe 2 weeks then decided she did not particularly care to lay in her own pee. The bed wetting became less frequent, then went away altogether. I also made sure she did not drink anything right before bed, and made sure she went to the potty in her bedtime routine.

3
45 6

We are still working on this. My 6 year-old does not want to give up having a cup of water at bedtime so it is a real struggle. I usually make him choose--he can wear underwear to bed or he can have water after dinner.
We do have a really easy way of dealing with wet sheets though. The kids beds have at least two sets of sheets made up on their bed with waterproof pads in between. That way if the top one gets wet you can just strip it off and the bed is still made and ready to get back into in the middle of the night. (If they have a stomache bug I usually put on as many sets of sheets as are clean)

2
1 20

love the double sheet idea i am for sure going to be doing that ! thank you for sharing

1 12

I think the best time to send any child to bed without a diaper or pull-up is after they have stayed dry all night for at least week. My son's doctor suggested this to me, within a month of him being potty trained he was waking up completely dry so I stopped using the pull-ups. I never had to change wet sheets in the middle of the night.

2
71 10

I just finished this with my kiddo he has done well
-Make sure a plastic sheet in on the mattress
-Night light so he can get to the potty or a potty chair if need be
-Start him off with no diaper at nap, explain to him he needs to try and use the potty before he goes to bed or he could get the bed wet.
-wake him at like 12 and take him to the potty
-My son made it thru the first night with no accident he was just being lazy and using his diaper.
-Take him to buy underwear of his choosing

2
3 5

It is better to trust the child...and not to worry about the underwear......bits and pieces need to breathe and have no constriction.......And as far as bedwetting goes....a bucket in the room is used before sleeptime...and they feel confident that there is something near that they can use.if they woke up.....(this is how I succeeded with my boys)...also thoroughly wash out anything that smells of urine..as this seems to trigger an accident, reduce tea after 5pm, and if you are aware of their body clocks...walk them to the bucket and convince them to pee, before u go to sleep...at least the bed stays dry, and they feel good.....I don't make too much of a fuss........some boys do take a little longer...My 3 yr old was fully trained , no nappies at all by 2......although he refuses to wipe his own bum!!

2
910 45

My son decided for himself when he wanted to be out of diapers/pullups. We went through months of accidents all night sometimes many times. I tried limiting drinks, snacks, going with him at a certain time but he would still sleep through the peeing and ultimatly wake up calling for me to change his bed. This went on for about 6 months having good nights and bad. finally one night he came to my room and I woke up expecting the worst but he was coming to get me to take him pee! Now we sometimes still have accidents but they are few and far between and he did it with his own initiative. I think as parents we want to be in control of all our kids whens and we need to let our kids tell us. Yes of course we must guide of children like I do take my son pee at 10:30 every night, and we make him pee before bedtime, I no longer take away liquids but do limit them to half a cup for bed. Follow your sons lead, and just go with it, yes pee stinks and is unhygenic but kids do eventually have to learn. I hated teh fact that some nights my sons pee would be in his hair and needed a quick shower but then he would go weeks without an accident...

1
233 0

if he's are dry most mornings then just start putting underwear on him for bed. before he goes to bed get him to go to the toilet even if he says he doesnt need to go and watch that he doesnt drink gallons and gallons or water before bed or you may need to give bed time at least half an hour after hes had his last drink....i tell my daughter its just in case or just to check when she complained, she always gave a result......and she rarely had an accident. sometimes they are the ones who tell you they want undies to bed but boys can be a bit lazy with the toilet...

1
842 5

A lot of mothers go back to using pull-ups at night because they have gone through endless months of washing sheets day after day. At some point a light goes on and you think wow, I should just make this easier for all of us and put him back in nappies.

I swear we went through about a year of no nappies at night from age 3.5 to now 4.5. At first we were pleasantly surprised when I took the night nappies away. He didn't wet the bed all week!! And then he'd just have a few wet nights once a week or two. But this progressively got worse until it got to a wet bed every night, despite limiting fluids at 7pm and waking him up for potty at 11pm.

So its really a personal issue for what is happening in your family.

You can only try to take them off the nappies at night and see how they go. If they wet the bed too often and you've stuck to a routine for a couple months, maybe they are not ready developmentally to reach that mile stone. In which case it should be ok to go back to night nappies. Leave it for a couple months, get your sanity back and then try again with no nappies at night.

0
84 0

Some kids have no problem during the day but they continue at night, especially boys. When my daughter started waking up with dry diapers, I switched her to underwear at night and she never wet the bed, as I recall. I don't think there's alot you can do to force it, as with potty training in general.

0
321 14

I stopped my girls from having anything to eat or drink at least an hour before bedtime and then sat them on the toilet before they went to bed. This was before they stopped wearing pull-ups. After a short time they were having dry nights and that's when they stopped wearing pull-ups. We occasionaly had a wet bed but it wasn't often. If it happened I would sit them on the toilet while I changed the bedding, cleaned them up and put them back into a dry bed.

0
3 12

My 5 year autistic son still wets the bed at night.i stop drinks after 6pm,he uses toilet before the bedtime,then again after 2 hours of sleep,then again before i go to bed.at that point i put him pull ups on to prevent the accidents.when he wakes up his nappy normally would be wet.how do i make him understand to stay dry?

0
1 20

have you tried cloth on him at night? (pull ups and diapers pull all the moisture away from the body leaving him feeling dry) if you are to use a cloth like diaper with a water proof cover over it he will be able to feel the wetness more. ... there are some cloth diaper patterns online if you are handy in sewing. i have sewn all my own cloth diapers. they really are not to hard to make and you can find free patterns too :)

4 0

Hmmm....that is a tough one because all kids are different. My son who is now 3 years old. I started potty training him at 18 months. He finally got the hang of it last year in October. I still had him in pull-ups though nite & day. In December we went out and bought big boy's underwear by Janurary he was wearing them nite & day. He hasnt slipped up intel this past Saturday. I stop giving him drink after a certain time. There was no drink after 6pm. He was giving a snack before bedtime. We did our normal routine but before I put him in bed he went potty. Then he has been fine for the whole night, he wok up at 7am and goes potty.

Just put them in the in the underwear.

0
0 0

My 3 yr. old doesn't have anything to drink after 6pm. and uses the restroom before he goes to bed and before I go to bed. So far so good!!!

0
0 2

i dont beleave in pull ups as its just like wearing a nappie, all 3 of my children ave been out of day time nappies in the summer they tunned 2...... as for bed time both my older lads was dry for wen they were 3. now my daughter is a different matter, we tryed er just b 4 she was 3 and she did really well, we ad 4 nites out the 7 were she was dry, but she was so tired as it must ave played on er mind and after 2 wks she was bak in them 4 bed, i am not guna rush er, the time will cum wear shes going to say tht she doesnt want to wear them, but iam hopeing to try again wen the weather picks up xxx

0
0 20

My son will be 5 next week, and is potty trained, except at night. No matter what we do, he just doesn't wake up at night to go to the potty. I have tried everything. Thank goodnes for the mattress cover.

0
37 21

Have you tried a reward system when he gets rewards for each night the bed is dry? My son e.g. loves Thomas. I put up a reward chart and for every row of stars he could choose a Thomas engine or train track piece. He used to get very excited every time we could put a star on his chart as he was closer to the next Thomas reward.

0 0

My boys are 4 and 5. The were both potty trained by ages 3- 3.5 and I spent several months changing wet sheets every morning. I gave them nothing to drink after 6:00pm and they go to the bathroom right before they go to bed. Still, they both wet the bed every night. I finally started putting them in overnights and I call them their sleep pants. I don't know when to take them out of these because they are still wet almost every night.

0
37 21

I would have them checked out by a doctor just to make sure there is no physiological issues that need to be dealt with.

37 21

When I potty trained my kids, I did a lot of reading to find out how to go about it. There were so many different ideas that it still left me clueless. With my first child it was trial and error and by the time it was the youngest's turn, it was much easier. I can just say what worked for me as I am guessing different approaches will work for different people.

I tried potty training with pullups and it didn't work for us. After 3 months of struggling, I took the advice of a friend and just went 'cold turkey'. I threw out all the pullups, day and night ones. The first 2 days meant lots of accidents but by day 3 my first child was potty trained. And with that went no night accidents. I think the pull ups are too much like nappies. The children don't feel the wet. With no pullups they feel how uncomfortable it is.

With my son I didn't even comtemplate pullups. By day 3 he was potty trained. He has had the occassional accident at night, so I limit his fluid intake a hour before bedtime. This seems to help. I am not going to use anything to avoid a wet bed though (other than the waterproof covers over the matress). He gets very upset about waking up in wet bed and this will help to get the message through to him that he needs to get up to go the toilet at night. Not always easy explaining these things to a 3 year old.

Good luck with your efforts. I think potty training is one of the more stressful things one must tackle as a parent.

0
0 0

its best to dont give the child anything to drink at least one to two hours before bed and have them use the potty before bed this works for my four year old.

0
0 23

My younger son (almost 3), was 2.5 when he potty trained, but still wears a CLOTH training diaper at night and is 50/50 on waking up dry. They're very soft, are not at all bulky, and I just tell him that these are his night time underwear/pajama underwear. The cloth diapers help to minimize the mess in the bed, but you'll still have sheets to wash, and he can still feel that he's wet so he gets up to tell me. I didn't go the disposable pull ups route as they're made so well, that children don't feel the wetness when they're sleeping (or probably when they're awake). Also, I think it's a source of confusion for children to have a real diaper sometimes, and not at other times.

ALSO:
I take him to the restroom before I go to bed - around 1am. If we forget, there's a wet bed. If we're on track, bed is dry in the morning.

We have sheets that are waterproof on one side. The fitted sheet goes under the normal designed fitted sheet. Mattress are clean.

0
2 10

I don't suggest using pull ups at all! I have 5 children and my son who is now 3 was potty trained and I put a normal diaper on him at night, it was when the diaper ended up dry a few mornings in a row that I put him in underwear and we made a deal if his underwear was dry he could get to do one of his favorite activities while his 1 year old brother took a nap. It has worked wonders and he has only had 1 accident in his underwear in the last month. When he had the accident I did not get mad at him just told him it was ok and it was an accident though he did not get to do his favorite activity and he quickly learned if he stayed dry then he could. I hope this helps but I am anti pull ups as I feel it only teaches them to continue to pee cause it feels like a diaper, not underwear.

0
0 19

I have 3 boys and the biggest mistake I made was with my oldest (who is now 6), by putting him in pull-ups at night to prevent bed wetting. I did not use pull ups on my last 2 boys, and ultimately it would seem that the actual bedwetting was all it took for my next 2 to quickly figure out that they needed to get up and go pee at night in order to avoid the discomfort. I think they each had 1 or maybe 2 accidents at night. I did make them get up, go potty, and put on their own dry undies, AND pull their own sheets off the bed when they had those accidents. They HATED that. It's amazing what motivates children. Basically, after going thru it 3 times with boys I would recommend AGAINST using pull ups at night. It does make for a mess, but most toddler mattresses are protected, and if that's not enough you can always buy pads or covers to protect the mattress. Trust me...even if it takes weeks of wet beds...you'll save yourself major hassles in the end. Keep in mind you're getting advice from the mother of 3 boys ages 4,5,&6, so it hasn't been that long since I went thru this. BTW...I used the 3 day potty training method with all 3 and they were all trained (except my oldest) within 2 weeks. It was probably more like a week and a half. It worked.

0
3 20

my boy just turned 3 and thank God he is potty trained but still i put pull ups at night JUST IN CASE though he wakes up dry..i will just have to wait until winter to know if he still wakes up dry or not and if not i will start waking him up at least once to pee..i believe its a matter of weather , hydration and bladder strongness too.

0 22

Well I think that every child is diffrent my daughterjust turned 5 and is fully potty trained good my son is going to be 3 and still have to put pull ups at night but my sister has a god daughter that is 6 and still wets the bed so everyone learns on there own pasted

0
19 11

I may not understand the question. Either a child still needs a pull-up at night, or they don't. When my son (4) no longer had nighttime wetting (I checked his pull-up in the am), I allowed him to go without (just pajamas). As Juli mentions, I try to limit fluids as bedtime approaches and using potty before lights out is a must. Some children will take longer than others. And yes, even after they may have accidents. I have a waterproof mattress cover on his bed for this reason, although he's not had any problems. Good luck!

0
0 8

The best tip I got, and will always stand by, is no drinks after dinner. Making sure of a last potty ritual is helpful too :) My kids and I brush teeth, GO POTTY, put on Jammies, read a story, sing a song, and then kisses...then lights out. This routine saved me from enormous stress.

0
0 11

My son is 2 year old and is potty trained, No matter what he just does not wake up at night to go to the potty.