What is the biggest waste of money every family could avoid?

0 0

I believe the biggest money waster a family can avoid resides right inside each of our heads. Changing your habits, planning ahead and vowing to work together as a family will make all the difference. Everyone is different and must find their shortcomings and resolutions. Strive every day to keep finding new ways to save, such as using coupons to save on groceries, household and personal items. Use free sampling opportunities to try things before you buy and avoid wasting money on products you don’t like. Reuse items such as clothes, furniture and household goods by sharing them with neighbors thru a local reuse group. Take on “Do It Yourself” projects rather than pay a repairman. Be careful not to be “penny wise and dollar foolish.” When saving cents on coupons, don’t throw away dollars on big items such as procrastinating auto repairs that leads to more costly problems. Research your purchases – big and small – to get the best deal. And then, reconsider whether you really need it, can afford it and it’s right for your family. Then reconsider it again. Pay off your credit card debt or high interest loans before you buy one more luxury item. There is no one thing that everyone can say is their weakness. You have to find out what’s costing you, and take steps to change your habits.

http://gimmiefreebies.com/circle-of-moms/

685 s

2 9

Love most of this, however remember some people make their living being the "repairman". We also have to keep our ecomony going by using these people like the plumbers, painters and handymen, so they can feed their families too!!

0 0

I'd say that the biggest waste of money to avoid is by being a BRAND Snob! Do not rely on certain brands. Do not only buy a brand you think your family loves. I'm not saying to purchase the store brand by any means, or the cheapest brand. Different brands will have sales and coupons at different times. This means that even the most expensive brand may be free or close to it at a certain time. PLUS, you may also find that other brands taste better than you thought.

It really is important to not only focus on the brands you're use to. Once you start getting the brands that are on sale or have coupons, you will really save a LOT MORE MONEY!

577 s

4 0

you really do save by not shopping for name brand. This week I went out and showed 3 ladies how to shop for their large families just using clearence shelfs. We found mens pants for $3 and kids shirts for $1 and womens clotheing for less than $4.

0 0

There are so many great high value coupons and ways to "stack" and "double" your coupon savings, that it is a waste of money to pay full price for just about anything! You can shop according to the weekly sales and match them up with available coupons to get the most savings power! There are many items that you can get for free or very close to it when you use this method! Why pay full price when you can pay with coupons?!

http://adventuresofacouponista.com/become-a-couponista/

220 s

0 0

What is the BIGGEST waste of money every family could avoid?

THE BIGGEST waste of MONEY is paying MORE for an item than what it is worth! Black Eyed Peas talk about being a NOW Generation. We don't HAVE to get things NOW unless we can afford them! How many people get things NOW and PAY for them later. The only thing is...people REALLY pay for them!

So how do you correct your mistake! If you are living paycheck to paycheck you need to find ways to have less money coming out month to month to pay off the items you already purchased. While doing this, don't charge anything else you can't pay for up front!

1. Decrease Expenses: Coupon, Use Cash Back Sites, purchase things on sale and only when they are on sale.
2. Take the extra money you have and pay off the things that you are being charged interest and don't have value. As cute as those high heel stilettos look on your feet you shouldn't be paying visa extra to have them!
3. Debt is paid off....SAVE SAVE SAVE! Then when you see those Stilettos...you actually won't notice them until the are on sale....then buy them with the money you have for those and for those only!

http://www.enzasbargains.com/2011/06/13/moneywaste/

152 s

64 80

Spot on! :)

0 0

Residential phone bill. Ugh!
Many people have already deleted their home phone bill through the use of cell phones. That's great and all, but what if your plan isn't unlimited? Ooma is VOIP that has very little cost after you buy it. It costs around $200 and then you only pay about $3.50 per month thereafter. Ooma gives you unlimited local and long-distance calling, caller ID, call waiting, and voice-mail. Head on over to our blog for additional info!

http://kingdealio.blogspot.com/2010/11/king-of-all-dealios.html

63 s

42 5

Similar to another comment about repairmen also needing to work, the various telephone companies have employees who would appreciate keeping their jobs. My son worked for one that merged with another phone company; six months into his job, he was laid off with almost 2,000 others. He eventually found work with another phone company and breathed a sigh of relief when he was not one of the 1,000 laid off ... only to be in the next wave of 4,000 laid off employees. Watch you spending, but don't take your frugality to the extreme that results in hordes of unemployed workers.

3 0

Failing to shop around sale items and use those sale items to create a meal plan for the week. By not doing this, you also fall into getting more takeout and eat out more. By creating a meal plan you not only save money at the grocery store, but you save money by not eating out as much. If you already have a plan for dinner that night you are less likely to deviate from it.

http://www.iamthatlady.com/2011/02/coupons-101-part-5-video-blog-making-this-all-work-together-how-do-you-feed-your-family-with-coupons/

58 s

5 6

I fully believe the biggest waste of money every family could avoid is the cost of eating out. Many families are on busy schedules and trying to fit in a sit down meal at the dinner table is hectic. One of the quick answers is to hit the drive through, or order a pizza. These "quick fixes" add up to major money!
The best way to avoid all this is to have a game plan. Take a few minutes over the weekend to evaluate the upcoming week and create a menu to work around those busy nights. Use your crock pot on days you won't be home to prep a meal. Make ahead meals. When you are making a dinner, make enough for 2 meals and freeze the extra. Pull a frozen meal out the so it just need to be reheated!
A little planning can go a long way and save a lot of money!

55 s

0 8

Paying Full Price for Toothpaste. There are plenty of coupons in the Sunday inserts for a variety of Toothpaste that every family can find one or many that suits their needs. There is no need to pay for toothpaste full price and can be the biggest wast of money for every family. Smaller sizes combined with coupons will have the biggest savings.

52 s

0 0

I think the biggest waste of money that can easily be avoided is eating junk food when you are traveling! With summertime upon us, I am sure that many of you will be taking road trips whether it is just for a couple of hours, a few days or longer. It is amazing how much money you can waste just by stopping at fast food places and convenience stores. Make sure to pack a cooler with snacks, sandwiches and drinks for the driver and all passengers! When you prepare in advance, you can get a lot of food on sale and with coupons but if you wait until you are on the road, not only will you pay full price, you will normally pay an inflated price for the convenience.

37 s

0 0

Quite simply, buying things you don't need or can't afford is the biggest waste of money. This is true for grocery, drugstore, household, big ticket items,things for your kids - anything and everything. You really have to ask yourself, is this something I (we) REALLY need? The answer may be yes, but most often it is clearly a NO!

31 s

0 0

Eating outside the home! Stay away from the fast food, the convenience stores, and the vending machines. I know it sounds hard, especially for busy families, but you can take that some money you would spend on unhealthy fast food and use it to make meals to have on hand in the freezer. By building a freezer stash of full meals and easy-to-reheat snacks (think muffins!), you can eliminate or greatly reduce how much you spend on food outside of your home.

22 s

0 0

Impulse shopping has to be the biggest waste of money for a family or anyone. It might be a good idea to come up with a plan to deal with it. Everyone knows that when we walk into a store something shiny will catch our eye and we get into that "I gotta have it" or "I can't live without it" mode. We know that if we thought about it for awhile and walked away from whatever was attracting us we really don't need whatever it is our impulses are craving.

Make a checklist that you can use to talk to your kids about impulse shopping. The next time you are in a store and they start to whine about how they just have to have that new thingamabob or whirrlygig bring out the list or remember the questions in your head and ask them. Have them work together. Do you have a Smartphone? Keep the list on your phone and bring it out when you are in the store or if you know a particular store always seems to bring out the worst impulse shopping habits, whip out the list before you go into the store and go over some of the questions.

Some Suggested questions:

- Did I want this item before I saw it in the store?
- If I were to leave the store would I remember what it was an hour later?
- Can I wait and buy this item on sale?
- Do I really need this item?
- Do I have a place to put it?
- Will use it more than a day?
- Do I already have a similar item at home?

Do you have some ideas for questions to put on the Impulse Shopping Checklist?

20 s

3 10

I will usually look at an impulse by and think to myself "if its that important I can come back tomorrow and get it" usually by then I have forgottten or I am to lazy to go back to the store to get it.

0 0

Extra electricity costs! Your home office (even when everything is idle) can spin that meter like you wouldn't believe. Invest in surge protectors with multiple outlets, plug your devices in and switch it off when it's not in use. Even placing devices into "Sleep mode" can help save money on electricity.

How about the kitchen? Do you have that "heated dry" button switched on? Cha-ching! Switching this off and allowing the dishes to dry on their own can save some major moola.

AC cranked? We all know what we need to do here. Hey, sweating may help shed a couple pounds right? Also, keep that garage closed! The AC has to work harder to keep things cooler when the heat source is closer.

UNPLUG, UNPLUG, UNPLUG!
We are totally guilty of this one. When devices are plugged into the wall, they are drawing money from your pocket. Walk around your home and unplug all the unnecessary devices. (Yes, phone chargers included).

Cheers!
Christine
MomDealsOnline.com

http://momdealsonline.com/2011/06/13/q-biggest-waste-money-family-avoid/

16 s

0 0

I think most parents and grandparents have the desire to provide the children in their family with toys and clothing. However, this can become wasteful spending. We as parents may be tempted to buy items because they are on sale, cheap, or we have a coupon, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are always good quality. Clothes that are a great deal may be made poorly and tear or get holes easily. Toys that are cheap may break or sit idle because the kids are not interested in them. Before you make a purchase of a toy either in store or online, do your research and read reviews. And when it comes to clothing, read the labels and consider shopping thrift or consignment stores for better quality items at discounted prices.

15 s

0 0

Eating out is the biggest waste of money every family could avoid. Take the money you would use at a restaurant and apply it to groceries and you would have enough food for a week.
With a little preparation and forethought you can have food in your refrigerator (that you bought with coupons on sale of course) on hand to make meals for your family at a fraction of what you would spend in a restaurant.

http://thrifty101.blogspot.com/2010/08/de-clutter-before-you-shop.html

14 s

0 0

If you have to get gas, aim for a fill-up day that is an off-peak day. By that I mean if you can help it, get gas on a Tuesday or Thursday. Research shows that these two days of the week tend to have lower fuel prices than any other day of the week.

Also, try and fuel up in the morning hours. In the morning, gas is cool and dense. If you fill up then, you’ll get more gas and less air for your money.

Finally, avoid getting gas on or near a holiday. Fuel giants know when travel trends pick up, and their prices will jack up because of it. Happy savings!

http://www.samplestuff.com/?p=9540

12 s

0 0

The biggest waste of money for today's families is to not be smart about your shopping and spending. Here are a few examples of ways you might not be as frugal as you can be, and some suggestions on how to improve without missing out on things you enjoy:

1) Not taking advantage of coupons and rebates: There are so many opportunities to save money with coupons and rebates, from clipping out of flyers/newspaper coupons, printing coupons from the web, coupon apps for your smartphone, and using the thousands of resources online for finding the best deals (like our website www.twofrugalmommas.com!)

2) Going out to eat too much: Even going to a cheaper restaurant, you can easily spend up to $50 for dinner with your family (even without ordering the filet or lobster!). Whereas you can usually make the same meal at home for half the price, and often much healthier! Sure we all deserve to go out and enjoy a night out, but by reducing the number of dinners out each month, you can easily save a good chunk of cash!

3) Buying a new car: By buying a used car (even a newer model with low mileage) you can easily save up to 50% in cost of buying a brand new car.

4) Going grocery shopping without a list: You can keep on track with your budget and get only the items you need by making a shopping list before you go, and stick to the items you need to get (and avoid impulse buys!)

5) Not doing your homework before making a big purchase: Read reviews online and get advice from friends before you make a big purchase. Getting the cheapest item isn't necessarily the best money-saver if you have to replace it after a short while, or it doesn't meet your needs, and you end up having to purchase a new one. Sometimes it's worth spending a little extra to get the item you want and that will last, to save you money in the long run.

6) Using disposable instead of reusable: Today's products offer many time saving options that enable you to use disposable items intead of reusable items. You can often save a ton of money by using items that can be used more than once (Plus it's better for the environment!). Suggestions include, using cloth diapers instead of disposable, using a rag instead of a paper towel, using composted food scraps instead of buying fertilizer, and getting used toys/kids clothing at consignment shops or second hand sales.

http://www.twofrugalmommas.com

10 s

10 0

I use rugs instead towels in my house. They do a better job as well. Second hand clothes is a good habit, especially for children who use them so little and the quality is usually better than the brand new ones from cheap manufacturers. Let's say you pay$15.00 on a outfit from a cheap brand and similar outfit is sold for $5.00 from a Neiman Marcus brand. When you have washed the $15.00 item for the first time it will look really bad compared to the other one that has been washed before and stayed the same.

0 0

Cable TV. EVERY family can avoid this, especially now in the summer time. My family and I were paying over $125 a month for our cable/DVR service.
I got fed up with the high bill and not being able to trim it down without losing things that I just LOVED...so I got rid of the WHOLE THING!
There are SO many options out there that will help ease the "burden" of not having 100+ channels at your leisure.
Netflix is my #1 recommendation. You can watch past and present TV shows and TONS of movies. All streaming from your gaming system (PS3, Wii or XBOX 360) or Apple TV or your Internet-enabled TV.
It was hard to cut that cable cord, but it is SO worth it! With the money we have saved in the past 5 months, we were finally able to afford a new deck off of our patio! And that is exactly where I am sitting on this gorgeous day, writing this post!
So, come join me! Let's see how much money you can keep in YOUR pockets instead of lining the Cable exec's pockets with more money than they know what to do with!

http://savinggreeninthebay.com/archives/how-i-cut-the-cable-the-true-story-of-a-recovering-dvr-reality-tv-addict

10 s

0 54

We did this too over a year and a half ago when our DISH was knocked out by a flying soccer ball. It irritated us that DISH wouldn't do anything to a loyal 15 yr. customer, so we decided to cancel our service over the summer since our kids were so busy. Well, summer turned into fall, etc and we found that we all really didn't miss it like we thought. We have five kids (17, 14, 12, 8, and almost 1). With the older kids active in music and sports, how much time did we really spend on meaningless TV show? Not much! Most shows are junk anyway--with not a lot of values that we want to pass on. Every now and then, we talk about it with the kids. They still don't want it. Since we cut Dish, we have saved $1020!!! Wow!

0 0

Full-service style automatic car washes can be a big waste of money for families! For example, one local car wash offers "packages" ranging from $7-14. The expensive "Super Duper Wash" claims to give you 'triple foam, under body wash, wax and towel dry service.' However, the $14 wash lasts as long as the $7 wash and we can never quite tell the difference, can you? We think families can avoid expensive car wash facilities by staying home and washing their own cars. You could save more than $300 per year or more by avoiding automatic car washes. The do-it-yourself cost? No where near $14 - simply the cost of a bucket of soapy water and a sponge. You can get the kids involved and make it fun, too. If you're into the waxing you can pick up a can of wax for about $10 and it'll probably last you all summer. When it comes to drying, use a soft microfiber towel. Avoiding high-cost car washes is probably one of the easiest ways a family can save money.

9 s

0 0

In my opinion, one of the biggest wastes of money families should avoid are late fees! Late fees can be enormous on DVD rentals, Library Books, Credit Cards, Utility Bills, Cell phone bills, car loans, mortgages & more. This is really no different than tossing your hard earned money out the window. Sometimes, things happen in life and being late cannot be avoided. If you find yourself in this situation, make a phone call to the creditor and explain what is going on. A lot of the time they will actually waive the late fees. (especially, if you are usually on time). One way to avoid late fee's just because "I forgot" syndrome. (I get this all the time) Buy a calendar to put in a location that you will see everyday. Mine is hanging beside my desk. Sit down one day for 30 minutes or so and fill out the entire calendar with mail by dates. (Usually 7 days before the bill is due) If it is a bill that you pay online every month, about 3 days is usually enough time. Another good idea is to make a list of your creditors and the phone numbers. Keep this list in a handy spot, just incase you need to call them. Hope these ideas help you save some dough by avoided those pesky late fees!

9 s

10 0

I talked to my cc companies and asked to change the due date after the 20th of each month. That day I seat down and make all the payment. You will never forget it that way.

0 0

Paying interest on Credit Cards for things we do not really need, when we tell ourselves "I need it now, and will figure out how to pay for it later"

http://athriftymom.com/

7 s

4 0

I believe the BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY a family could avoid is to EVER pay full price for groceries. With being able to price match and use coupons efficiently families should be able to slash their grocery bill in half. Setting a grocery budget, planning meals according to your weekly schedule, taking time to prepare a list based on price matches to your local weekly ads and using coupons will save you TONS of money and by planning meals ahead save you the dreaded "what the heck is for dinner!" feeling.

7 s

0 10

The biggest waste of money is paying full price when you are grocery shopping. There are some things that never go on sale but many, many basics do. Always keep your eyes open for the sales and stock up. Also there are so many coupons out there especially if you just print the ones you need off the internet.

http://familyfocusblog.com/extreme-coupons-and-printable-coupons/

7 s

0 0

I would say the biggest waste of money to avoid is purchasing memberships to, and shopping at, warehouse stores (like Costco). Don't get me wrong - I enjoy shopping at Costco. I enjoyed it so much, I found it couldn't leave without spending an average of $200. That can add up if you go once a month! Since I began to shop with coupons, I found I can buy almost anything for cheaper than the warehouse prices, and sometimes for much, much cheaper! The myth is that big and bulk purchases are the cheapest option, when in fact you can use coupons toward the smaller sizes products and pay only pennies (or even get them for FREE)! You'll save hundreds of dollars by staying clear of the temptations of a warehouse store, and using your coupons at grocery, drug and smaller stores.

6 s

0 0

I think the biggest waste of money is a toss up between junk food (soda, chips, processed food) and fast food. Besides the short term cost out of pocket, there are long term consequences to your health from eating that kind of food.

http://spendwise.org

6 s

0 0

Diapers! The cost of disposable diapers can be anywhere from $1500-$2000 for 1 child depending on the brand used and at what age the child potty learns, have 2 kids the cost doubles, 3 kids......you get the idea. You could easily cloth diaper a baby for less than $500 total (diapers/cost of laundry/washing) and then diaper each child after that for only the cost of washing. I've done it myself and found it was so much easier then I would have thought! Plus cloth diapers are so darn cute! I was able to build a "stash" of diapers from seconds sales (I have a few online and local places I like to "stalk"). Cloth wipes are another huge money saver! These can range from fancy to a plain old cut up flannel sheet (which I've also done), use a spray bottle with a little water to dampen the wipes (an extra plus is they are warmer than disposable on the tush) simply grab a water proof "wet bag" hang it from your changing table and throw everything in the wash.. Easy, peasy! If cloth isn't for you, cut costs on disposables by stocking up when you see a great deal, try not to pay over $.15 for each disposable diaper (I see them as low as $0.09 each every so often for a common name brand). Store brands are of course also cheaper. Also,s ome major online sites (you know my favorite if you follow my Facebook page ;) offer special frequent buyer programs such as an additional % off and/or free shipping.

6 s

0 0

There are so many!! So, I will share a few...Now, I know that they take alittle extra time up front - but in the end you WILL save money! Now, if you follow my blog (which I really hope you do!) you know that I am a firm believer in reusable bags - not just for groceries, but for the kids' lunches! Save money on all those sandwiches! Snacks for the kids - pack some with you whenever you leave the house...this will help you avoid eating out unexpectedly and grabbing the kids fast food. AND, the most obvious answer here is to use coupons! Make your grocery shopping list and put your coupons with it BEFORE going to the store, you are more likely to use them if they are ready to go. I save about 60-80% each week - you can too!

5 s

0 0

The food that gets wasted in our homes is the biggest waste of money. Food costs are going up all the time but so is the waste that we have going in our garbage cans as well. There is literally 100's of dollars going into the trash that could be staying in your budget. There are so many ways that you can save by just using things before they are going to expire.

There are so many ways that you can avoid waste when in your food budget. Making freezer meals even in the summer can be a wonderful thing. Just heating them on the grill can be so easy and yet taste so good and not heat up the house. I can make 30 freezer meals in 2 days, and there is no waste of any foods. I cook all of my breakfasts, lunches and dinners all at one time and freeze them all at one time as well. This not only saves me time in the kitchen but it also saves me from wasting foods as well. If you want to do it on a smaller scale you can double a meal that your making and freeze half of the meal and serve the other half. It also helps out when Mom or Dad are sick and are not in the mood to cook but want to know what their family is healthy. You can pull it out heat it and then everyone is eating in a short amount of time with very little fuss and germ spreading as well.

If there are left overs instead of going out for lunch use them for your lunch for work or at home so that your sure they are being used. You can also freeze them in a cleaned out butter container and when it is full make a casserole, goulash or soup with them. This will save on any waste and I have to tell you can make one of the best dishes you have ever tasted!

Put all the first to expire items in the front of the fridge so that your family will see them first and use them before they can expire. If it's getting to close to the date use them to make a dinner and if you need a recipe you can find millions of them and use all the ingredients that you have on hand. This will stop from wasting foods. Cutting your food budget down in the process as well.

Even if you use coupons and get it for free, why waste a free product that your family can use. Always keep the products going by expiration date so that you never have to worry about waste. You can also make Pantry meals with the items that are going to expire as well instead of making a trip to the store. Just use what items you have on hand. At times we will have a week of Panty meals and not do any grocery shopping but for Milk and those types of items that we run out of quickly.

Start out transforming your wasted items slowly so that your able to stay on top of it. Put a container on the freezer for the little bit of left overs to start in. Then add in the doubling of the meal and taking the lunch to work if you don't already. You will find other ways to keep waste down as you go along and ideas will just pop out at you of other things that are going to waste and you will get into a routine.

http://www.frugaldivafrenzy.com

5 s

0 0

Eatting out in restaurants!

4 s

0 0

I think the biggest waste of money for families is not shopping sales and not using coupons. Sales change from week to and waiting a week or two to buy a nonessential item can save you hundreds if not thousands in the long run! Stocking up when things are cheap also helps with not paying full price and wasting money.

4 s

6 7

Many American families are struggling to get by every week. With that said, if you can educate yourself on what items couponers typically don't pay for you'll begin to instantly see a difference in your pocketbook. Whether it's toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, baby wipes, etc. it all adds up.

Once you begin to realize what you can get for FREE you'll begin to grow a stockpile. Your stockpile will allow your family to try new products and also give back to the community. Being able to give to others is one of the most powerful acts of kindness that couponers can do and change their community!

Be sure to check out the article "Yeah, I Don't Pay For That" to find out what I've been getting for FREE for years!

http://www.cincinnaticoupons.net/2010/08/27/yeah-i-dont-pay-for-that/

3 s

0 0

Throwing out food! Whether it be in the form of wasted leftovers or food left in the freezer until it's no good make sure you keep track of what you have in the fridge, freezer and pantry and be aware of expiration dates. Throwing food out is just like throwing your money straight into the trashcan.

http://livingonabudgettheeasyway.blogspot.com/2011/06/fresh-start.html

3 s

1 0

I think the biggest waste of money is confusing wants with needs. Sure those pink sandals would be so cute but let's face it your little one probably has six other pair of shoes and will grow so fast! Focus on making memories instead of collecting "stuff" that your baby probably will not remember they even had...the thrill of a new toy will fade but the memory of spending time together will last forever!

3 s

0 0

Recently, my son's family disconnected their satellite (cable) and are saving close to $100 per month. He set up a component box next to his television and subscribed to Netflix and Hulu for under $20 per month. Since they have a two year old and one baby on the way they can save time and watch television after the kids go to sleep. They also have the choice to watch any shows at any time. Besides clipping coupons saving money on your television watching habits can be a big time and money saver.

http://www.shoppingdrawer.com/2011/06/discounts-coupons-and-reviews.html

3 s

0 0

Wasting food. When I go to Costco, I am more mindful now of buying large quantities because sometimes food gets thrown out and it's such a waste of money!

http://www.savingsmania.com/

3 s