What can I do for a reflux baby?

Nobody wants to watch their baby suffer from reflux. However, with all the different remedies out there it can be difficult to discern what works from what doesn't. What can you do for a baby with reflux?

7 17

my son is on zantac, it is a god send! also colic calm, you can only get it at cvs or online, its helps with reflux, but its 20$ a bottle, well worth it!

3
1 0

Get the baby checked for subluxation at a chiropractor's office.

3
2 60

whats that darl...my boy has been to the chiro cos his back and jaw is out of line, and pysio to help with his colic and acid reflux....

4 24

My 5 month old started having silent reflux at 2 weeks of age and was always in pain from it. We ended up using medication and that has worked wonders! However it doesn't solve all problems, so I usually make sure she stays upright for at least 30 minutes after each feeding and that she doesn't eat too much. I try to burp often, which is easier said than done with a nursing baby, but it really does help.

3
31 0

Is it true reflux with acid or is it just from "overfilling?" Often nursed babies will keep nursing beyond what they have the capacity for, just for the comfort of suckling. I often wonder if when people refer to reflux, which situation they're talking about. As I have posted before under a different topic, my daughter was attached to me nearly 24/7 and for the first year she spit up SO much I had to carry four or five changes of clothes in the diaper bag because she'd soak herself. I could count on it.

I would not want my child to be hurting or to suffer the dangerous physical results of acid reflux, but I wouldn't medicate mine unless I was reasonably sure it was ACID REFLUX, not just overfilling and refluxing the breast milk she'd just taken in.

In any case, burp them well.

3
2 60

my first boy would projectile throw up but i think his was over eating cos he was on me 24/7 too....but my 4th bub is 4 mths now and he has acid reflux etc ,and you can see that is is in so much pain when his screaming how he does,he doesnt eat as much cos of it and is under weight too poor thing, but doc has him on medication now and slowly he is getting a little better, his drinking more now ,he still has his out bursts of pain but its not 24/7 now...i really hope he gets better soon and is a happy bub, cant wait....out of all my kids his suffered the most,you knew he was, and is in pain....but if you or anyone else has any suggestions on what else i can do to help him that would be awesome, and ideas would help....thank you....liz...xo

3 0

my nine month old is still suffering from reflux since birth, and my doc wants to wait until he's a year old to see if it resolves itself. I've found that if I feed him slower, with frequent burping, he doesn't throw up as much.

3
1 14

After your baby eats keep them elevated for at least 20 minutes I'm like a carseat or something burp them more often

2
11 51

My son cried for 9 hours a day with little or no breaks, after 5 weeks of being told it was colic and i was a paranoid 1st time mum i took him to A and E and he was diagnosed with acid reflux. After being given infant gaviscon to put in his formula he was a different baby! He smiles all the time and is nearly 1 now and gaviscon free. The gaviscon was a life saver! Not only in helping his with his reflux but i really believe that after 9 hours of constant screaming i was really beginning to wonder why i had my baby and was becoming depresed. I would tell any mummy, you know your baby best and always get a second opinion if your not happy :) x

2
13 19

Keep them upright for up to 30 minutes after eating. Make sure that you are burping them regularly and that your house or apartment is kept at a fairly cool temperature. Heat can upset the stomach more and aggravate it to make it worse.

2
18 17

My baby boy suffered from reflux since ver little, what I did in order t help him was to start feeding him until he was six months old, and I only gave him soft foods with no spices (despite what my m-i-l wanted!!). Even until now (he's 18 months) I try to watch his food, because eventhough he doesn't vomit or anything, he still has certain discomforts in his tummy. Hope it helps!

1
7 18

my twin boys were born at 28 weeks, and for some reason, preemie's tend to have more reflux than term babies. My pediatrician wasn't afraid to prescribe them zantac early on. they played around with the dosage amount, and added prevacid at one point, and for my one son, he grew out of it around 12-15 months. My other son still suffers pretty bad, but it's managed. I found that once we went off his special infant formula it seemed to calm down some. So it could be the formula, but if it continues, I would tell your doc you want to try something other than "growing out of it."

1
17 37

My daughter was diagnosed with reflux at 6 weeks. She couldn't sleep due to the pain. I did give in to give her medication when I found out it was affecting her growth because she wasn't sleeping. But other things I did that helped was kept her upright for about 30 min after feeding and feeding her less per feeding but more frequently. Yes it meant I was constantly feeding her but at least it helped minimized her reflux. She outgrew it by the time she was 6 months. BTW she is now 10 months and I still feed her less per feeding but more frequently, especially during the day. I do this since since it is a good habit to have. Good luck!

1
13 16

Get into your doctor, especially if your baby is having poor weight gain. My son, who has had poor weight gain since birth and we've just learned has a rare genetic disease, has had reflux since early on, and it was affecting his weight gain. Your doctor can get a prescription ordered for a Prilosec compound and it'll help immensely. Be sure to check with your insurance--to compound medication is usually not cheap, and some insurance companies go bonkers with compounds, making you jump through hoops to allow it. Also, just so you know, some kiddos will outgrow reflux, but if it is a constant problem, be sure to get that Rx--the stomach acid could do serious damage to the flapper between the esophagus and stomach, and then they could have problems most of their life.

1
85 27

Im not a big fan of medicating either - however that said if nothing else worked I may have been tempted because it is awful to watch a child in pain... but first, the difference between acid reflux and spilling is acid reflux is chunky like creamed cheese, this is because it has mixed with stomach acid and the muscle at the top of the stomach has not closed properly to prevent it returning back up the esophagus (this is why it is often but not always painful) there is also silent reflux when the milk doesnt make it all the way back up and thus only burning part of the esophagus (often hard to diagnose) spilling on the other hand is simply when the baby has been a bit gutsy and had too much this has a smooth texture and apart from being frustrating with clothing changes generally isnt too much of a problem. What I did with mine was raise the end on the cot on phone books so anything in the stomach would have had to flow up-hill. Also my first was formula fed so I was able to change formulas to one that thickened in the stomach and with both my formula and breastfed babes after each feed I would sit them straight up (or cuddle up on my chest) for as long as 20-30 minutes as necessary and the number one help was to wind them properly - I cannot stress how important this was! be whatever you do - rest assured they do eventually grow out of it!! My first grew out of it at 3 months and my second at about 5 months :) - hope that helps!

1
2 11

Snuggle Me cushion! Love it! Would like one for myself instead of the baby! Wish I had one 5 babies ago. Would have made life so much easier through those days for both of us.

1
2 0

I have 3 males in family with Acid Reflux. 2 toddlers & my hubby who's sufered for allmost 40 years. He took Nexium for a couple years, it really helped heal his esophagus & turned his stomach problem around. He ocassionally gets small bouts of stomach acid that rolaids takes care of quickly. It's all in your DIET!! It's what you EAT!! Humans are not supposed to drink cows milk!!! Powdered formula is one of the worst things to give your baby. You should breast feed them. If you can't you must use SOY. Even when they are toddlers, use SILK. LactAid is also good. You can try it for a few days, if LactAid does not work you must try SOY milk. Always watch their diet. Never anything with Acid. Tomatoes are bad! Nothing Fried! Nothing Greasy. Dairy products including cheeses,milks,ice cream,yogurts,etc. If baby has trouble with breast milk,or powders,etc.try a little (rice or oatmeal)cereal, feed them very slowly sitting up. Then you can help gently rub their belly for 10-20 minutes after burping them. Never overfeed them. IT'S BEST TO TRY EVERYTHING POSSIBLE BEFORE TURNING TO MEDICINES. OUR WORLD THINKS EVERYTHING IS FIXED BY A PILL!!! JUST WATCH THE TELLY & YOU'LL SEE A NEW DRUG CO. BEING SUED EVERY WEEK FOR A NEW PROBLEM. You should know if your child will accept Soy,Silk,LactAid or similar within a few days. If after nothing works, then try a DR. but give it a few days per drink. Don't wait months before bringing your child there may be a serious problem. It's better safe than sorry. Your DR. will put them on a liquid if needed.

0
5 0

Put a tablespoon of rice in his bottle. I did it with mine. if the baby is a baby baby put let rice than that. It will help!!

0
62 0

get a teet with a really small slow outlet - my daughter had it badly and almost half her feed would come up again - I realized it was because she was drinking too fast.. It might help.. ? Worth a shot anyway..

0
2 1

Our son had severe reflux. He was on medication but there were other things that helped him as well. Holding him in an elevated position after feeding was essential. Having him on an angle while lying down helped. We also had an elevated baby seat that he loved to sit in. While I was making dinner he would sit propped beside me, comfortable and that was wonderful. The best tricks I'd have to say was my Ergo baby carrier. I had him in is all the time. It was comfy for both of us, kept him upright and close and I could still get stuff done. It was fantastic!

0
0 3

I breastfed all my babies. My middle daughter used to get reflux if i drank tea. Any tea, even 1/2 a cup.

0
16 4

I would get Baby checked for reflux and changed to a formula designed just for reflux we used Karicare AR it worked wonders with our twins.

0
39 13

i used a product called Infacol worked wonders with my twin girls and my son.

0
8 14

The doctor will tell you what to do. Do not ignore it. She needs to change her formula or the food she is eating. How old is the baby? Sometimes the doctor has you thicken there formula with cereal so it stays down. Do not take it lightly. I know a girl who ignored it and her baby was not getting proper nourishment. There can be a simple change in your baby's diet. I was breast feeding my daughter when she was a baby. She kept refluxing. They changed her over to formula. They had me add a tiny bit of baby cereal. She still is on medication for reflux. She is now 14 years old. She has vocal cord dysfunction and asthmatic. They said if it was left untreated it can go as far as effecting there heart. Robin Shirley ( Courtney)

0
8 8

my son had severe reflux and colic, to get rid of the reflux change his milk straight away to a stay down formula such as one made by SMA (UK) it is heavier than normal formula and harder to bring back up,reflux is often caused by a weak stomach muscle and the longer the reflux goes on the weaker the muscle gets, switching to the stay down allowed the stomache muscle time to heal and grow stronger because it wasn't constantly being used to bring the formula back up, when i changed to stay down formula i never looked back it reduced my sons reflux by 98%, before he had the new milk he was throwing up so much milk that i was feeding him every 45 mins and making between 15-20 bottles a day, it was awful cause he was so hungry because everything was coming back up, when we changed the formula we staright away went to just 6 bottles a day, it was a fantastic improvement.

0
3 8

If you can't or don't want to medicate for this atleast prop the bed a little put a pillow or two under the crib matress so baby is still on a flat surface keeping his head elevated will help a lot.

0
161 9

I've needed to use prescription medicine (omeprazole) for my two boys, one had milk protein allergy which made the reflux worse. I used to have to frequently burp them during a feed, keep them elevated after a feed for up to half an hour & elevate their bed. I read this great book called "Colic Solved" by Bryan Vartabedian M.D., great book a MUST read explains the whole mechanical aspect behind reflux & the different effective treatment methods.

0
0 0

after 5 months, i've tried thickening the formula by adding boil milled oatmeal, or "am" in Filipino.
But really, when my baby started her solid food, slowly her reflux will be gone

0
2 7

My son suffered from Acid Reflux from birth, for the 1st 2 months was told it was just mucas from being born, but after him bringing up every bottle and having to change him up to 6 times a day, I had enough took him to our GP who diagnosed Acid Reflux and prescribed Infant Gaviscon, within a couple of days he was a better baby altho the gaviscon only worked for a few months, we were then prescribed Carobel to thicken his formula, it's also good because it's not a medicine as such but was wonderful, he is now 1 and we have not had an incident in months and have been able to stop all treatment, Everyone knows their own baby and I know from experience hated to see him suffering.

0
113 19

My youngest had issues with reflux. I took him to our chiropractor-his back was out! Poor baby has my husband's back...it was 9 months of barfy, cranky baby when his back was out. But it was such a releif not to have to give him meds!

0
45 0

My little one was born at 30 wks. Elevation,meds and cereal in formula did it, I think it was 1/2 a teaspoon per ounce. She's now 15 months now and no signs of ever having it thank God.

0
29 22

try a hazel wood necklace it helped my baby with reflux and it also helps with teething

-1