What do I when my 14 month old son can climb out of his crib?

You can rest easy when your baby is safely sleeping in his crib, but at some point he gets old and smart enough to find a way out of the crib! How do you handle it when your toddler can get out of his crib himself?

10 14

Unless you can lower the mattress more, make the room safe and get a toddler bed. We put the lock on the door knob on the inside of the room until our kids were old enough to be safe to come out of their room if they woke up (or you can put a gate at the doorway). Have as few toys as possible to avoid distraction from sleep, secure dressers and nightstands to the wall, all lotions, creams, diapers, etc. go up out of reach, don't under estimate. Have as few cords reachable as possible, cover up outlets. Once your child can climb out of the crib, they aren't safe. Better to deal with some nights of putting them back to bed rather than falling from a crib. But, if you leave them be and they can't get out, chances up, they will just get back in their toddler bed. We roll up a blanket for our son and put it under the mattress pad to keep him from falling out of the toddler bed, you could use a pool noodle too.

8
235 30

They sell a railing that you can slide under the toddler bed mattress and goes on the open side of the bed,(assuming one side of the bed is against a wall, otherwise I guess you could put one on each side). We had one for our oldest when she moved to a toddler bed at 17 months when we needed the crib for our new baby and it worked really well.

0 39

we turned the crib around so the back which is higher is now the front
you cant lower it but at least he cant climb out anymore

5
33 10

There is a company called totsinmind that sells crib tents. It was originally made so the cats cant get in the crib. My husband has crawled up on the top and it stil stayed in place. We have the crib tent II version. W have 2 autistic daughters, age 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. Putting them in a regular bed wasnt an option because they can get out of the house. They have on several occassion and once at night when the oldest crawled out of her crib. Check the crib tent out. I can sleep at night again, knowing that they cant get out of the crib, and cant get out of the house. Hope this helps.

4
230 10

just because he learned to climb out doesn't meen he's ready for a regular bed i bought a crib tent my daughter started climbing out around 18 months but no where near ready fora bed i tried just putting her abck in over and over and finaly after 3 nights of no sleep bought the crib tent and love it she's now 2 and sleeps great

3
113 42

I am a mother of 3 daughters ages 7, 3, and 1, with another child on the way in January. My thoughts are that your son is ready to move onto the next step in a bed whether it be a toddler bed or a full twin with rails. I moved my 7 year old when she was around 15 months old when she started flipping out of her crib. A toddler bed was a natural choice for her because she thrashes in her sleep and the mere 5-6" the toddler bed is off the ground made her falls jolting but nothing like her flipping herself from her crib. My second was in her crib until she was around 17 months old primarily because she had a sister coming, and we wanted to put time distance between "her" crib and her bed. She also went straight into a toddler bed and was HAPPIER for it. We used to fight her to go to bed in her crib, but the minute she didn't feel trapped anymore (all we could figure) she got into bed and stayed. Now my youngest will be 17 months in a week, and I don't see her moving for at least a couple more months. She's just not ready to leave that protection yet.
I've heard of these "crib tents", and I caution you against their use. Although it hasn't happened a lot, there have been children who have died because they have become entangled in the mesh netting and structure and were strangled to death. I'm one of those moms that if there's a chance, I don't risk it when there are other options.
As for the safety of the room, it's THEIR room. What in the world are people keeping in a one year old's room they can't mess with anyway? My 16 month old rooms with her 3 year old sister and they have the crib, a twin bed, a rocking chair, a rocking horse, two dressers, and a toy box. Yes, they both climb like little monkeys so I keep all of the lotions and other items I don't want them to handle in the bathroom. I do recommend turning the doorknobs around not just for the night but for peace of mind anyway. We recently did it because the 3 year old kept locking her and her sister into their room.
Honestly, if your son can physically climb out of his crib on the lowest setting, he's more than ready for a toddler bed. I wouldn't recommend a twin as he could fall and hurt himself which is what you're trying to avoid with the crib. Toddler beds are great cause they can fall out without really hurting themselves, they offer that smaller bed size which can be a real comfort to the children, and most toddler bed designs come with built in rails which still provides that safety net without being a baby jail.

2
39 8

They are done being in Jail and want to explore - try putting the mattress on the floor in the room and admire all possibilities. BTW home depot sells alarms $5. for the door they give off a piercing alarm when any window or door is opened. Purchase one of these and sleep the night. Dawn

2
9 0

I am a certified pediatric sleep consultant and I do not recommend switching to a bed until the child is at least 2.5-3. If the crib mattress is already on the lowest setting, I would try a crib tent. Make sure to get the kind that fits all the way under the mattress, as they are safer. For other tips and advice, "like" my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/tulsapediatricsleepconsulting.

2
0 0

Everything I've read says that crib tents are very dangerous and to never use one??

9 19

My daughter climbed out at 13 months and I immediately switched to a toddler bed. If she got out I'd count to three and if she wasn't back in her bed I would tap her butt and lay her back down. Only did this for about a week. Now she doesn't get outta bed til the morning.

2
7 2

Just because a baby can climb out of his crib does not mean he is "ready" for a toddler bed. We got the crib tent and LOVE IT! My boy was climbing out at 16 months and we were able to keep him in his crib until his 2nd birthday and he got a new room/bed for a birthday gift. (and his new sister got the nursery) I am already using the crib tent with the baby because it prevents us from needing bumper pads, nothing falls out of the crib and she can't get her legs and arms out either. CRIB TENT! CRIB TENT! CRIB TENT!!! Everyone should have one.

1
7 2

I hated the idea of locking my child in his room at night. I don't have anywhere to put all his toys and things he would get into in the middle of the might. So I am glad I could wait until he was 2 but even then I had to do what everyone does (put a knob on the door so he could not come out) I tried so hard to "train" him to stay in his bed....he learned not to come in our room because I would just put him right back in bed so I would kind him sleeping on the kitchen floor next to the dog dishes. Or I found him in the hall using the rug as a blanket. The first two night he HATED me closing the door (and I felt so bad) but it is more important to me that he gets a good night sleep and learns to put himself back to sleep when he wakes-up.

26 15

My son didn't climb out of his crib until he was about 2 1/2. We took the side off the crib and bought one of those guard rail things so he can safely get in and out of it but can't fall out. At night we make sure the front door is completely locked, put away anything in the living room he shouldn't be messing with, and there is a baby gate up so he can't get into the kitchen. Every morning the first thing he does is come into our room to let us know he's awake. And getting him to bed is easy-ROUTINE! we do the same thing every night, and he KNOWS when he's tired. Sometimes he will even go to bed on his own!

1
2 2

time to geta bed . dont geta toddler bed they are useless. the kids still fall out theres not enough room. i put my 1 yr old daughter in a full size bed so she can grow into it when she got older and didnt need to here mom i dont want twin bed anymore. but for the time being if strpped for money you could alway buy one of those crib covers its likea mesh dome that hooks to the top of the crib. and only unlocks from the outside.

1
19 16

Time for a toddler bed and baby gate his door. Make his room toddler proof and he should be fine.

1
27 27

Remove the sides and lower it!!!

1
37 12

definitely move them into a toddler bed or twin bed...! only once did my toddler attempt to climb out of his cot, and he fell...that day we switched him to a bed...and we havent had a problem since! if you are worried about them wandering around and getting out of their rooms- here is a suggestion that some may think is bad, but is definitely safe... Firstly- my son only has a bed and a dresser in his room, so there isnt stuff he can climb on or hurt himself with...secondly- and this is where people are going to judge me- we have turned the door handle/lock around on his door so that it no longer locks from the inside, it locks from outside in the hall...every day at naptime and bedtime, he is effectively 'locked in'. I live in a 3 story town home and would HATE for him to fall down the stairs wandering around by himself in the middle of the night whilst I sleep...Before anyone starts thinking im a monster! i have a video monitor set up in his room that has 'night vision' so i can see him at ALL times, and that is ALWAYS on, and so if he calls for me, or even makes a noise at night i wake up and can immediately see what is happening...but its just additional protection, so that i know he is safe... For the lady with autistic children, this may be a solution for when your children get too big for a crib...

1
2 20

we put the child lock covers on the inside of the door....that way we could get in right away if there was a fire or something ...then we started to put a babygate on the outside of his door...depending on how the door opens..but he would be like ohh sweet they took the lock off...then he would open the door and see ohh crap theres a babygate...when he would start climbing over it i doubled them up one on top of the other....people thought i was soooo mean..but they didnt understand that as long as he could get out of his room(this is after being in a big boy bed for 2 years lol) that he wouldnt go to sleep...once he realized he wasnt getting out..he layed down and pouted but went to sleep....then when he woke up i of course would let him out as soon as he opened the door :)

2 20

my son climbed out of his crib for the first time at 10mo old...he started walking/running at 9mo....anyhow went out that day and bought a toddler bed....we had to put him back in it prob about 4 times and finally he just stayed there...he wimpered for a few minutes and then passed out....he never had a problem after that...but if you baby is climbing out of his crib its time to switch it to a daybed or get a toddler bed if you dont have a multi purpose crib :) would hate to have him fall and hurt himself..yes he can fall out of a toddler bed but chances are it wont hurt like it will if he falls off the top of the rail of the crib

1
2 14

As soon as my son (then aged 13m) climbed out of the cot and fell to the ground I moved him into a bed. Wasn't going to risk him doing that again ESP in the middle of the night. Was worried he'd really hurt himself

1
6 0

I have been using a sleep sack by baby deedee since my DS was 6 weeks old. Its very much a part of our routine and I agree it kept him from Climbing out of crib. At young age it kept his legs safe from any scratch or crib bar marks.

0
1

Toddler climbing out of the crib?? I can help!

Hi everyone! I have created a way to stop crib climbing in a safe way. I am a mom myself and this idea was born from my own desperation for a solution. I created The Naughty Monkey sleeper to keep my DD in her crib at night and it WORKS!

Check me out on Etsy!
www.etsy.com/shop/TheNaughtyMonkey

0
215 1

Well, I didn't believe granny when she said my dad 'walked at 6 months'. Guess I was wrong - as our own son was walking by 6 months and climbing by 7 months! We were lucky and put a mattress on the floor for him - and moved him into a smaller room that was our spare room that had nothing in it ie no cupboards, chairs etc. We put his teddy and toys with him .. and a child gate at the door. That solved that problem and he slept better on the mattress than he ever did in his cot. We moved him into a bed when he was older ....

0
22 0

we put a single mattress on the floor so she wouldn't fall off and could still walk around her room if she needed a little freedom.
cathy

0
22 4

My grand daughter will be a year old on the 3rd of January. She has had a tolder been before Christmas. But when she is in her bed her mother puts up a gate. (bedroom is upstairs) So that she will not go down the stairs. She never slept in a crib. Sorry I wasn't more of helpful.

0
24 60

I will lower the crib as much as possible. We are dealing with the debate about whether or not Zeva needs her crib lowered or not. We are close to having to do it because she is leaning over half of her crib.

When they show they are talented enough to get out of the crib (or even close to it) we put them in a toddler bed, and make sure their room is safe for them to roam at night should they happen to get up without us knowing it. We also make sure there is a gate blocking them from leaving that room. I also have the terrible habit (according to my husband--since it leads to Zeva waking up sometimes) of checking on her througout the night several times.

Usually though once they reach the toddler bed they tend to sleep through the night with ease and life becomes peachy clean at night from that point on (until you start the whole potty training process.)

0
0 60

My son could climb out of his crib @ 12 months and what we did was just train him how to do it safely and now at 24 months he is a pro and ready to move to a toddlers bed although you can not overule accidents sometimes. Train him how to do it the safe way you would be suprised how fast he gets it!

0
10 17

I have a 15 mo., 3 yr. old and 5 yr. old. My oldest was in a fullsize bed in the corner with a rail on one side by the time she was 15 months. She just started screaming when I put her in her bed so we tryed the other bed and she was fine. She also stayed in her bed (the big bed). My son was in a twin bed in the corner with a rail on one side by 14 mo. cause he climbed out of his crib. He would get up and down all night long and we tried everything to keep him in his bed and he still gets up once a night. We put locks up high on all the outside doors so he couldn't leave the house. My daughter who is 15 mo. is still in her crib and quite happy. You just have to find what works for you. Each child is different. Try taking the rails of and make it a toddler bed and if that doesn't work try a twin mattress on the floor. Just stick with putting him back in his bed for the first week or two and hopefully your work will pay off. It didn't with my son, but it did for my girl. Good luck!

0
1 7

wow its right time! yesterday my 18 month son tried out of his crib and found hanging on it.
thank you for sharing.

0
38 0

I think you should put him in a toddler/regular bed, my daughter, now 18 months, started climbing out of her bed (a pack n play cuz we couldn't afford a crib) around 11 months or so, and now the sides are broken so we cant use it for baby girl number 2 who will be here, hopefully, on october 11th. We have a bed for her, which is my husbands old twin bed, but she isn't in her own room yet cuz its on the other side of the house next to the front door and the door does not shut or stay shut so she still sleeps with us until we move into an actual house and not a trailer, then she will get her own room. But if your son has his own room, locking the door from the outside would be a good idea to try to keep him in once you get him in a regular bed, thats what we plan to do once we get into a new place. A baby gate might not do any good, I know from personal experience because once my daughter could climb out of her bed, she would climb the baby gate, but then she got to the point where she wouldn't climb the baby gate but find away to pull or push it so she could get out, so the baby gate has become useless for us. I wouldn't recommend the crib tent because if the little ones can climb out what would keep them from grabbing the tent and pulling it onto them and getting tangled in it. Thats just my opinion.

0
75 31

Both of my older boys did this as soon as they could. My oldest started doing it at 1 so we put him in a toddler bed and never had a problem again. My second child started doing it at about 9-10mo and thought it was the most hilarious thing in the world. He would literally flip himself out of his bed, he was a tiny kid who would climb up the sides like a monkey and flip himself over the edge like he was on a covert mission or something, until we saw him do it we thought big brother was helping him out. We didn't mess with getting a toddler bed instead we bought both boys twin beds that could be made into bunkbeds when they got bigger. #1 was excited he got an even bigger big kid bed #2 was happy he could have a bed just like his brother that he could get in&out of by himself since he loved to climb. They are now 6&3 and sleep perfectly well in their gated rooms. I have a 3rd child who is almost 1 and about at the point where he's trying to climb out so he'll get a toddler bed once he starts hopping out until we can get him a bigger bed.

0
235 30

Well first of all make sure your crib mattress is lowered as far as it can go. If your child can still climb out of his crib and doesn't understand he needs to stay there until you come to get him out, then it's time to look at getting a toddler bed so he doesn't get seriously hurt while climbing out. Since your son is still young though, I've also seen these tent like covers that you can put on the top of the crib so your child can't get out. You unzip it to get him out. It's made of mesh so there is airflow for the child. I've never used one, but it looks like a good idea.

0
58 6

Put the mattress on the floor no falls no climbing make sure the room is safe and use a monitor my son was so excited he didn't even get up out of bed the first night he wanted more freedom he had to tho my baby had grown out of his bassinet and we couldn't afford another crib so we got an extra mattress for the floor now they each have a toddler bed my doctor said that the first time your child climbs out to get him out of the crib

0
1 50

my son started doing that not long after he turned one so i put him into a single bed (well a couple of spare mattresses on the floor til her got use to it and he has been sleeping better.) then i move him into a proper single bed.

0
3 9

I put a crib tent up on mu daughters crib when she started climbing out around 15 months She wouldnt stay in her room and could climb the baby gate. her room is on the second floor of our home and I did not want her to fall down the stairs.

0
29 0

Get a crib tent or a toddler bed. If you get the toddler bed, make the room safe and make sure if the door has a lock to turn it around cuz my daughter can lock doors and won't unlock them. Don't do the baby gates, if they can climb out of a crib a baby gate won't be nothing.

0
22 5

I would put him in a toddler bed my son was 15 months when we put him in a toddler bed like your son he climb out of his crib. So we made the room safer got the baby proof plastic things for the door nob and we had the monitor on at night. He took the transition pretty good took him on night to get use to it. Good luck.

0
10 14

That's why I've never put my son in a crib. My daughters never liked the crib, so they were both in toddler beds soon after they began walking. My son slept with us until he was about a year old and then has been in his toddler bed ever since. He climbed up his dresser and stood on top of it at 8 months old! He is in one of those Hotwheels beds that is directly on the floor...if he happens to roll out (which he never has) it's only about 4" from the floor--I put pillows on the floor next to his bed just in case. Good luck!

0
6 10

I don't think any of these other parets are bad ones. As a mother/father you do what you need to do to keep your children/ family safe!! Whether that means buying a larger bed so they don't fall out, or lowering the mattress, or turning locks around, or putting gates up. Each person knows what is best for their child.
I am certainly no expert, but what I would suggest first would be to take the crib apart and put the crib mattress on the floor. That may be enough an you don't have to buy a new bed yet. See for yourself a few nights just what your little guy will do.
If your son won't sleep through the night, then maybe a larger bed would be beneficial.
If he gets up in the night to play or won't go to bed due to things distractig, then you will know to only put the bare minimum in his room.
If he gets out of the room then you can look into turning the locks around or putting up gates. What works for one family may not work for yours, you'll find something that works best for your situation.

Every child is different and you may have to try different things before you find the perfect solution. But I think it's most important for you to get him out of the crib so he doesn't fall out and really get hurt. Hopefully you will find something soon that works for your son :)

0
1 75

simply put them in a bed, weather it be a toddler bed or single or king single, both my boys went into a king single. my secind child was in his bed at 13 months as he was a monkey. until i got it bed i just pulled one of the rails off the cot so it was like a bed and i also had a child safety gate in his doorway so he couldnt get out of his room untill he was let out for safetly so he wasnt getting into cupboards etc. and he never looked back he thought he was awesome when i pulled the rail off the cot, its a very exciting time to go into there big boy/girl bed. well he thought so atleast.

0
2 41

it,s time for a toddler bed ones the are ably to climb out of there baby crib bed it,s time for a toddler bed

0
4 8

My son is 18m and is still sleeping in his crib. It is on a lower setting, he hasn't tried to climb out yet. He jumps and bounces himself to sleep. I can most certainly wait for the bigger bed. I am just concerned about him being in the bed and being able to roam around in the middle of the night. I like the night vision video monitor idea. How do you have a nightlight, tv and changing table in his room if he is not in the crib though?

0
2 20

my son has all that...he never bothered it....although he didnt have a night light...once i losed the door he just went to sleep because he couldnt see...but he has a tall dresser and a tv stand and all of his toys in his room..always has i never took the toys out of his room...we just pick up his room before bed..stick to his routine and never had a problem....he had a baby monitor in his room until he was 2 but then he broke the charger...now whenever he wakes up he just comes to our room and knocks on the door

11 0

It is simple put them in a toddler bed. I moved my son to a toddler bed before we was two becuase I had a second child on the way and there was no problem.

0
64 57

when our DD started doing that at 10 months we got her a bed but we are pressed for space and needed to have a spare bed as well so we got a queens size bed and when people come to stay she sleeps with us she loves it having all that room(she does 360's all night) and has never fallen out (we dont have visitors often so it works well)

0
64 57

we also found that the toddler bed was too small coz she moves so much sleeps much better now shes not banging into anything