What do you do with your old children's books?

Once your kids tire of their books or move on to more advanced ones, what can you do with them to give them a good second life?

7 3

We raised five children who loved books. We saved them. Our 18 grandchildren have enjoyed them and they are still in our bookcases for the great-grandchildren who also love books. Several of our grandchildren have reminded me, "Granny, you always said a dollar is never wasted on a book. They are treasures and never grow old."

28
0 0

What a beautiful sentiment! I feel the same way. In fact, a great many of my friends live in books!

22 11

As a teacher of primary school kids, I encourage parents, friends, children to give their books to the school library. I am the teacher librarian . I recycle some of these books for slow readers. I sometimes restructure the stories for their learning level and let them feel good about themselves. You see the problem is they are poor readers and needs help.
I am a resource teacher of literacy and the kids are from poor homes where books are a luxury for them. I use the pictures and let them help me built other stories surrounding their experiences. I tell you this is fun and learning takes place too. They give it a title, add their names as the authors etc
They find their own characters, plot, setting etc. I then take it to a printing place where it is laminated and bound in a beautiful book.

21
0 0

you are truly a kind and patient person, thank you for caring for the little ones and taking all that time and effort to encourage them to be strong readers.

9 1

Keep the favorites!
Donate to local domestic violence shelters; often these children leave home with nothing!
Donate to local children's hospital.
Donate to local youth home/foster care program.
Donate to local schools, especially lower income area schools.
Donate to local library.
Donate to local preschools and churches.

Leave children's books, magazines and the Good Housekeeping behind when you leave the doctors office, dental office or other places where you spend time in the waiting room.

I always keep a "Homeless Backpack" in my car with non-perishable food, gift cards, bathroom items, etc. just in case the good Lord moves me to help a poor soul ... so I always have a few books and stuffed animals in the trunk too, just in case they are accompanied by a homeless child.

15
0 2

I have to tell you that I contacted a number of domestic violence shelters and was sick to find out that they only take brand new items, books and toys. My items are in excellent condition, I would dare say you would hardly know they were even used.

3 34

I love using Freecycle.com for things like books, toys and clothes for kids. I have met lots of lovely people thanks to giving away much-loved but surplus kids' stuff, and from being the grateful recipient as well. The beauty of Freecycle is that it is completely based on goodwill and respect for our community and it is possible to do it everywhere! It has saved me hundreds of dollars, and made me some mates for life. The best thing is that when I have received something that my kids have then grown out of, I can put it back out there and give the same happiness to someone else. Every parent should know about freecycling.

8
51 1

I have given some to a preschool and some to a kindergarten teacher so far. Anyone who cares for groups of young children needs to replenish the bookshelves occasionally. Focusing on lower class and impoverished neighborhoods is especially good for this type of donation. There are organizations that support the needs of foster families, and I'm sure that books would enrich their supplies as well.

7
1 18

We keep the very special books, and about once a year I have the kids go through their books. The ones they have outgrown or are not loved, are donated to several places. Our library has a book drive for children that do not have books of their own, friends and neighbors with children of the given age group, Friends of the Library for book sales (grown up books as well go here). I do not like to keep things that we no longer use or love, but being able to bless others that would enjoy those things makes my heart happy!

5
1 0

I give gently used books away on Holloween through a program called Books for Treats - check out their web site www.booksfortreats.com - and the kids really like it as long as they find a book they like. The kids don't really need another tootsie roll or smarties, but a book is not something they get on that evening. I put out a few boxes with the books sorted by grade or reading level as described on the Books for Treats web site. We have some books to give away and then I supplement it with other level books I don't have from the library book sales which I figure costs as much as buying candy to give out. The Friends of the Library sell them for $1 an inch basically.

I was really suprised how excited the kids are to look through the boxes and find a book that would interest them. If nothing else check out the web site.

5
0 0

I had never heard of Books for Treats, but I really like the idea! Thanks for telling us about it!

2 0

Store them away in a bookself, When they are older or even when they have their own children they would love to show to them. They said it brings back memories when they were young.

4
0 0

At my daughters school they always have a book swap.

3
31 8

We had a huge children's books library in our home; as the kids outgrew a genre/age of books, we gave them to the next generation, my great nieces and nephews matching age appropriate. In addition to that, we donated them to charitable organizations that deal with either reading and or low income day cares etc. NEVER have we thrown away childrens books; our kids treated their books with respect and thus they remained in top notch condition.

For those most sentimental, we've kept them in the cedar chest to pass down to our grandchildren.

3
4 0

My women's group has set up and maintains libraries at a local women's & families shelter and a domestic violence shelter – both are in desperate need of children & adult books. I agree save the favorites but give the gift of reading to those in need. I also work for a school district and know some classrooms also need books - - choose where your heart is and donate!

2
0 4

Donate them to your school's library or to a children's hospital...

2
1 14

I kept a few select ones that are the favorites in hopes to someday share with grandchildren and then donate the rest to the school. The school puts them out for the teachers to select which ones they want for their classrooms, the reminder go to the library. I do the same thing with games that my children outgrow.

2
73 33

Depends. Books that are too damaged from use and love I sometimes rip out the pages and make either a collage about the book and frame it. We can still see the pictures and talk about the book. Some books, if they are older and I like the graphics I will take the page whole and frame it. I have also scanned some of the pages of the book and placed then in a photo book of things the children enjoyed playing with.

2
4 12

It is hard for me to get rid of my kids "stuff". It isn't possible to keep everything, so with books...I wont be having any more children....So I sorted them. Keepers!!(to save and pass onto my grandchildren) some I donate to the school, some to family and friends with younger kids.

we visit my parents often..she has alot of the book my sister and I had as kids. Now my kids read them. she keeps some at her house and gave us some to take home. I LOVE!!! seeing and remembering the books. On each of our books we wrote our names. (seing how we wrote made my heart melt) My kids wrote there names under ours...which was soo cute! It gave me an idea. Before I packed the special books away, we read them one last time. I asked them what they like best about this book, and asked them to write it on the first page of the book.(or I wrote it if they couldn't..for the toddler books)
When Where the Wild Things Are, movie came out...My husbands brother gave our son(the only boy..carrying on the family name) his childhood copy(: He has girls, but they are in there late 20's. I am saving it for IF they have kids...I will offer it to him, if he wants to give it to his grandchild. (pass the classics on,)

2
2 2

I have donated to their teachers from previous years.

2
1 6

Check with your library and school to see if they have a book give away program to give donated books to children who can't afford to buy books.

2
4 14

I sometimes pass them along to other children with the message that when they are done with them please pass them along to someone else.

2
10 28

I trade many books on paperbackswap.com. With a 1st grader just getting into chapter books, we have outgrown many of the picture books. By swapping (sending a book to another member who wants it) we get credit for a book of our choice from another member. I am saving many of our favorites for the future :)

1
0 0

Donate, Donate, Donate.....to a school that has children from lower income families. Most schools that hold book fairs will get a lot of new books donated by the parents. Schools in lower class neighborhoods usually don't. Children love books and having these available to them will keep them reading and the benefits from reading books help to increase grade point averages. Books are great to help kids learn and to dream....donate, donate and please donate.

1
0 2

While I would never destroy a book, I have used the pages of worn-out books in children scrap books . Old books in bad shape have lovely pictures which I hate wasting.

1
11 0

We take ours to the library; they are always willing to take the books.

1
9 0

I have donated them to local laundry mats in the past. I stick them in a basket with a note saying folks can enjoy them there or take them home to read.

0
1

I have put them in a basket and left them at local laundry mats. It is a great way to share used books. A little sign that says they can enjoy the books there or take them home makes a cute little set up.

0
216 0

I usually donate to either the library or good will.

0
0 20

I am a teacher and we do book swaps during the school year. Lots of times we have students that have no books to bring to the swap. I use donated books to give to them so everyone gets to swap and those who have no books take one home:)

0
0 0

I am looking for an old book my husband had when he was younger. We have tried searching online. But he doesnt remember the name just what the book looked like. The book is about 12 inches tall and the right side profile is of a boy sitting on his kness. The books cover is a boy on his knees in pajamas. This a very vague description i know. If any one knows at least the name i would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get it for his birthday coming up in oct...This would make it very special. Last year i got him and orignal Land before time stuffed little foot and the movie on VHS. It almost made him cry....Thank you and anyone who can help. Please email me on my personal email Radioactiveseal86@yahoo.com

0
0 24

I saved old books to give to grand children and daughters remember reading them when they were young. I have more that were my boys and will save for them when time comes. Such a great feeling to pass them on.

0
16 8

I have used old books and turn into books, with different characters. I also use them to make bookkmarks, gift tags or wrapping paper for a childs gift. I also donate older books to daycares, doctor offices and any body who will take them

0
0 0

You could paint a board book with chalkboard paint. It would be perfect for in the car Or anywhere!

0
0 14

We donate them to different places - examples- the Boston Medical Center is always looking for gently used children's books, or give them to Boys and Girls Ciubs, local shelters, doctors offices the non-profit More Than Words.

0
0 9

I stash away the favorites and share the old ones with kids younger than mine. There is nothing more special than sharing the love of reading!

0
0 0

I love the idea of saving them for future generations. I suggest giving them to a school. Teachers will always welcome books into their classroom libraries!!

0
0 0

Keep the favorites for your grandchildren, maybe a dozen or so. They will delight in sharing the books that their mommy or daddy liked as a child. Donate the rest (if they are in good condition) to a book sale, rummage sale, etc. Lots of organizations have them.

0
0 0

I LOVE ALL THE ANSWERS ABOUT HOW TO SAVE THEM FOR GRANDCHILDREN AND
CHILDREN TO VISIT ~ THE MOST TREASURED ONES . I CAN'T IMAGINE PARTING WITH
THE SPECIAL BOOKS MY KIDS GREW UP ON. YOU CAN ORDER NEW ONES ONLINE OF THE FAVORITES AS GIFTS. MAKE COLLECTIONS AS GIFTS FOR NEW CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN IN YOUR FAMILY AND AMONG YOUR FRIENDS. WHERE I LIVE THERE ARE WONDERFUL BOOK COLLECTION CONTAINERS EVERYWHERE NOW.

0
0 5

I have lots of old children,s books and what I have done with them is to alter them and turn them in to works of art this way they are always there to enjoy and as your children get older they can enjoy them to or you can put them through a shredder and put them on the garden
but the best way of all is to pass them on to a local play school so a new generation of children can have the fun of something new to read

0
0 0

Have a book exchange.

0
0 8

We have a literacy council I donate them to

0
0 0

check out www.bookends.org. they recycle children's books!

0
0 0

We donate my grandkids books to the elementary school which has a reading program throughout the year, where the kids can take books home to read, and they are challenged and encouraged to read many books throughout the year to win prizes.

You can also donate them to your local library.

0