What do you expect from a preschool?

What do you expect from a preschool's learning environment?

1 8

A place where children's imagination is supported and not stifled, where the importance of play and social interaction is seen as more important than being ready for school and where every child's unique talents are supported to develop

10
0 0

A warm and loving environment that focuses not just on academics but the joys of being in a classroom environment. Preschool is the first step into a long series of years away from home and thrust into the arms of strangers (adults and children). Preschool should allow for fun, education, and learning how to enjoy these years. There should be snacks, free time, social learning and growth. The teacher should take every "I got to pee" as real and never second guess the child. Listen to the parents, they really do know their child better than you. A bright and cheerful classroom. A place where they are all accepted for who they are and not fitted into some preconceived notion of what a child should be at their age. And if they are having a rough day, these are very young and insecure people, give them a hug and allow them to be your "friend" for the time necessary to help them adjust.

6
279 28

well, being an almost graduated early education student, and having a preschool aged daughter myself, I am looking for:
-displays of children's artwork
-lots of time for creative expression
-lots of small-group work
-toned down colours (on walls, carpets, etc)
-a variety of toys
-patient, loving teachers
-lots of activities
-teachers who can detect special needs, and work well with them

4
1 23

My child should be excited to go, it should be clean, I should be notified of their progress, and behavior. The teacher should not only greet me with a smile and hello but my child as well. My child be made to feel comfortable, while learning and socializing.

4
9 20

No more than 8 children per teacher. Clean environment. Limited access to the children without going through the office. Updates on my child's progress.

2
2 5

Preschool should be a place where a child feels secured, loved and happy. A place where he will not be judged, but welcomed with open arms, an educational place every minute of the hour.A child is learning all the time...whether he's in circle time, block area, snack time, outdoor play, they are always learning.Preschool should be the place where children will strengthen and discover their overall developmental stages. It is also where teachers will identify early intervention if needed.

1
5 10

i believe that a preschool learning should be conducted in a proper way i think that the children should be able to understand what is being taught to them

1
1 2

All these plus cherish and love every child as their own, don't judge a child because of 'xyz' character trait.

1
2 13

I expect them to make the children feel at home. I'd double ensure on the safety and hygiene factors. I wish to see visible signs of my child's progress. Regular interactions with the teacher and more than anything, my child should be happy to go there each day.

1
0 0

I say they shlouls give our toddlers more time to express themselves on the playground and in class.should not be more than 10 kids in the classroom,so that if there is a need for a child the teacher should be able to identify it and work on it.kids need love and to be appreciated even when they are wrong after all their just kids.

0
21 22

All of the other comments are great and I agree with them! I think preschools vary from State-to-State depending upon the academic requirements for the higher grades. For example, we live in Arizona and the requirements for entering Kindergarten include knowing their ABCs and not just in order: A, B, C, etc. They are expected to be able to identify any letter of the alphabet without seeing it in order. They also have to be able to count to 10, know all of their colors, be able to write their first name, verbally know their last name, where they live, phone number, and a few other things. My daughter's preschool was a continuation of her daycare and I think that made a world of difference for her. She was already in a familiar environment where she felt safe and loved. She excelled in pre-K and ended up placing in an advanced Kindergarten class. When she graduated this Spring, she had tested at a 2nd grade math level. Next month she'll be starting 1st grade and I have no doubt she will be more than ready and have the confidence and skills to succeed. Some elementary schools offer a pre-K class but I opted not to go that route. I felt confident enough that my daughter's daycare (which is where she is part of the time this Summer) had an adequate pre-K program and I was right. When selecting a preschool, make sure that your criteria is not the only considerations -- observe your child's reactions to each place you visit before deciding where to send him/her -- remember, it's your child who will be attending. Happy hunting :)

0