What do you like about the biking lifestyle?

0 0

Everyone here at the blog comes to bicycling from a different place- we commute, we haul cargo, we ride centuries, we travel with children... That is the best thing- each of us is able to fit a bicycle into all of the facets of our lives.

0
0 0

Biking helps me feel more present with my family and the place where I am. Something about moving at the speed of biking, or about the physical activity, or about the attention I give to the world around me seems to keep me really engaged. Plus, we all think biking is fun way to travel!

I like the health benefits, the awareness, and the opportunities for adventure a biking lifestyle creates. As a fringe benefit, when we bike together, other people notice. Sometimes this inspires other families to dust off their bikes. Once when we were biking in Mississippi, a mom noticed our Burley trailer and for the first time saw a solution that might help her teenage son get fit. The boy had a heart condition and his doctor had recommended biking, but she wasn't able to let him go by himself and she had to find a sitter for her toddler if she wanted to go with him. Because she saw our family biking, she discovered a way to tote the tot and help her son get the exercise he needed.

0
0 0

I can go somewhere cannot go by foot or cannot go by car. For example, I went to meet my friend tonight after dinner, where is too much trouble for car, too long for walk, perfect for cycling.
It broaden my horizon too. I met lots of interesting people by riding the 2-wheel.
I also can some a little retreat every night.
And, to finish 190 days of commuting by bike makes me motivated and having mission-feeling.

0
0 0

We see so much more of our city and interact with one another in a much better fashion on the bike than in the car. We've discovered secret train tracks, stumbled upon outdoor music shows, not to mention not having to deal with the bother of searching and paying for parking. On the bike, the journey is an adventure and often just as fun as our destination.

0
0 0

We love the freedom of biking -- getting around on our own schedule and enjoying the bike paths and roads. Our kids also love being on the bikes, which helps a lot.

0
0 0

It's something I've always done to get around the village where I grew up. However, when I was at High School, I was one of the larger kids in the class. I decided to use my mountain bike to ride the 7 miles to school and not only did the weight fall off me but I was able to spend time with friends after school instead of having to get the bus. It gave me masses of self confidence and belief to the point where i ended up taking part in the inaugual Grundig Mountain Bike World Challenge at the age of 15 and participating in distance rides for charity. I find it wierd that others feel that its something they've grown out of. It sounds corny but to me its a gift that just keeps giving! It's a beautifully simple way of getting about so that's one less thing to worry about. It's certainly more pleasant than the stress of being at the mercy of gridlock or problems with the rail network. I live by the sea and there is no better way to see it, especially with my 15 month old son on board!

0
0 0

I love that exercise fits right into my daily routine! It also helps bring us together as a family. Biking is much more fun than driving, even though we're all together in a car, too, so I think the bonding is increased on bikes.

0
0 0

I love riding with my kids, getting wherever we need to go on our own power. If we take a wrong turn on our bikes, it's an adventure. Now that my daughter's getting older, I really value her pedal power on our family tandem.

0
0 0

Biking means freedom, independence, adventure whether going to the shops, swimming, to school or biking around Europe or the World. Biking is clean, green and healthy. What's not to like? When you're on your bike you see more, hear more, smell more, feel more, experience more, learn more. And all you have to do to get some place is turn the pedals, and every turn is a revolution.

0
0 0

Flying along free on our bike together is very fun. Biking more would be easy for your family to grow into too. It's great that our kids know that we can get around to places we like to go, on our own power. I love to talk with our sons on our tandem as we ride along and hear about their day. They always tell us so much when we are on a ride together. And buying less gas makes it cheap. We like watching the seasons change and being outdoors. Meanwhile, our sons like watching big yellow machines dig holes in the city.

0
0 8

We like the greater connections we’ve developed in our community, heading out on two wheels, noticing more, interacting with different people, easily pulling over to experience something or someone we would have missed while driving. We like saving gas money, making a small dent in our carbon footprint, and the quick exercise we get just getting to places we need to go. We like the easy and free parking and showing our sons that there are alternate ways beyond driving to get around town. And while all these reasons are why we ride, the truth-- neither noble nor self-sacrificing-- is that the primary reason we are family bike commuters is that it is just plain fun.

0
0 0

The biking lifestyle is a slower pace than buzzing around in the minivan. For us, that pace offers time to connect as a family and enjoy one another. And with three kids (and one more on the way) it's hard to keep those little minds occupied all day. Riding the bikes gives them plenty to see and do while spending time together.

0
0 0

A:I have been introducing "Mama Bicycles" on my blog, which is a unique styled bicycle developed in Japan. My wife and I have been riding our Mama Bicycle almost every day for over five years since my daughter was one and half years old. To tell you the truth, I had not heard of the Mama Bicycle until I started ridding it evne though the Mama Bicycle has been popular in Japan for ten years. Anyway, Mama Bicycles are very helpful in daily transportation. I appreciate them mainly because we can always watch our babies or little children and keep them close to us at all times. We can easily get to supermarkets, hospitals, kindergartens and parks where it would take too much time to walk. Of course, Mama Bicycles are also kind to the environment. So I believe this special bicycle is a very helpful daily transportion tool. I can't live without my Mama Bicycle.

0
0 0

It combines many things I care about: staying active and fit, being ecologically responsible, and feeling a sense of connectedness to my community. When I ride my bike as a way to get around, I know I am getting my work-out in for the day, I get to wave at my neighbors and smile at other cyclists or pedestrians, maybe exchange a word or two at a stop light, I can make impromptu stops at a store or cafe, and I feel so much more involved with my surroundings and my community. At the end of the day, cycling makes me happy.

0