What do you think about chores and allowance?

What age do you think is appropriate to start your children on household chores? Should they earn an allowance for doing chores, or should they just be expected to help out around the house?

6 9

I believe that chores and allowance should be kept separate. There are responsibilities you HAVE to do whether you get paid or not. I also believe that they should be taught what to do WITH their allowance. 10% to savings, 10% to God, and the rest can be theirs to do with as they wish. If they do more than asked... say rake the leaves AND sweep the walk, or maybe rake someone else's leaves without prompting... then they deserve extra and should be made aware of WHY they get a little more.

33
2 9

Debbie, I really like this idea, thanks!!

57 5

my daughter was responsible to keep her playroom and bedroom picked up since she was 5 when she turned 6 she got a bunny so she had to feed and clean up after it so that when i started the allowance she was responsible to vacuum her room and dinning room because that where her bunny was we got rid of her bunny and she got a year of some thing else she started to learn how to do laundry when she was 8 i would carry her laundry to laundry room and taught her how to sort and do her laundry soap settings everything and then she had to take care of her own clothes she is now 11 and she is doing dishes now i do all the laundry again but she still has to take care of her laundry i feel if she does a chore for an entire year she will be sure she knows how to do it i see nothing wrong with giving children responsibly but has to be age appropriate and can't be everything learning a new chore a year is good her bed room her play room are always her responsibility and her one chore a year is good way to teach kids how to do things

11
0 193

I had a hard time understanding this comment as the use of punctuation (periods, commas) were entirely absent.

32 26

My girls started doing little jobs around the house when they were about 5. They also started getting an allowance at the same time, but they weren't tied together. They help out because they are part of the family. They get an allowance because I want them to start getting some experience with money. They can earn extra money by doing chores sometimes if they ask me.

11
4 13

I started my children on chores at the age of 4. My children do get pocket money for doing the dishes and keeping there rooms tidy. Thry don't get pocket money for helping me with other things that I need help with though, they do that for love. Just like they will mow a neighbours lawn for no reward but just to help them out. If they get something for that from the neighbour then that is a bonus for them. In saying all of this I have a child with ADHD inattintive and my other 2 almost always have to do the entire job by themselves, even if my son only does a few of the dishes that is an achievement. My boys are 15 1/2, 13, and 8 1/2 years. I broke my back 9 years ago and I am in cronic pain. So I have taught my older 2 to cook meals so that when I am in to much pain they can do it for our family. It is making my boys compassionate and thoughtful. And teaching them patience with others.

10
0 30

The kids start doing chores in the house as soon as they are tall enough to reach the kitchen sink without incident. My boys receive an allowance equal to 1/2 half their age, i.e. my 13 year old gets $6.50/week. If they do not complete their chores first thing on Saturday, they are docked 3 dollars. They are also docked $0.25 each day they do not make their bed and another $0.25 each day they do not straighten up their room before bed. So we do both, they are expected to help out around the house when needed, but they are also compensated for general housekeeping tasks.

My 3 boys rotate the following chores on Saturdays: Sweeping/vacuuming, Cleaning the upstairs bathroom, and cleaning the downstairs bathroom. They also have a daily chore: either taking care of the dogs (letting them outside, feeding, etc.), cleaning off the table and sweeping after meals, or garbage collector. These daily chores get rotated on a weekly basis as well.

All three of my boys have learned the value of a dollar, satisfaction of a job well done, and consequences when they do not take care of business. As their father and I say, if we don't do our jobs at work we won't get paid. Neither shall they.

We also encourage the boys to split their allowance up into tithe, saving, and spending money. This gives them mad money for the little goofy things I won't buy for them. It also allows me to still spoil them with gifts because they aren't always in my pocket asking for money.

6
0 9

My 8 year old daughter unpacks the top rack of the dishwasher & my 6 year old son unpacks the bottom rack of the dishwasher. The funniest thing is that my baby who will be 2 in November, willingly helps the other two to unpack the dishwasher. She even puts things in the right places. It is so funny to watch. All I say is "kids, dishwasher!" & she says "coming!"

5
7 46

Yeah! You are wright mommy!
It is good to give your child a responsibility to do work at home such vacuiming the floor.Usually when you give your child a reward or a money. Your child will do more task and for getting something in return.

3
363 40

my son does "chores" like cleaning his room and picking up his toys around the house. He's actually happy to do it and takes pride in the job he does. He'll say "look Mommy! I clean my (living room, be-room, kiTchen (dining room)" and it's always present-tense "clean" never "cleaned" or "am cleaning" (he is 4). When I or my husband is washing dishes or doing laundry he wants to help by putting the clothes or dishes in, but my husband and I aren't quite confident with him doing that, so we let him add the soap and start the machine. I don't think it even occurs to my son that this is "work" and he should get paid for it. He saves the money he gets from birthday/Christmas/loose change collected/other gifts and that's his spending money. He recently bought a board game, toy broom, and a McDonald's Happy Meal with his OWN money and I think he has enjoyed them more knowing he made the decision to spend his own money.

3
17 6

I have to say Chores and allowance will always be separate here....chores are not optional and therefore not reward-able with allowance..however privlages can be taken away...I agree with Tyra 100%..We started at the age of walking that we had to do a 10 second tidy when finished playing and before taking out new toys or start a new activity...we Always try and make it fun at a young age and always reward with praise and appreciation as they get older,It teaches responsibility and agree that doing things for other family members or neighbours can be rewarded for an act of kindness...just my thoughts..I grew up without being provided an allowance and do not give to my children....If a request is within reason and we can afford it we will.If not they will fully understand why we can't accommodate...

0 14

My son is 10 and his daily chore list is this: Make bed, put clothes away, feed animals (clean Litter box), take out trash, do dinner dishes and clean the kitchen. sweep front entry way. His weekly chores that he does every Monday are to vacuum his bedroom, clean his bathroom and dust his room. I pay him 10 dollars a week for his responsibilities. However, if he has to be told to do any of these things or to have to brush his teeth or take a shower....He loses a dollar that day. I hold him responsible for taking the initiative and essentially he has started to offer to do more and more around here. He asks me daily when I am doing something around here if he can help. He even comes to me and asks if there are some "big chores" he can do to earn extra money. He maintains honor roll grades and he is awarded for those when report cards come in. He saves his money up for any certain things he wants and knows if he wants games or accessories to his hobbies that he buys them with his earned cash. I feel like its teaching him the value of work as well as preparing him for living independently as an adult one day. I thrive on the idea that he will not have to have someone take care of him like so many other adult males require. I want for him to be a good husband to his future wife and one day she will come to me and tell me thank you for teaching him how to pick up his dirty socks and empty the dishwasher. :))

2
14 25

As soon as they can walk you should have them picking up after themselves after play. My daughter at 2 years was cleaning up her toys .Now at seven she has chores , keep her bedroom floor free of stuff nightly , empty her trash can and the one in the bathroom , vacuum the living room rug ,take trash to the recycle bin and she gets an allowance but not because of the chores she does. I'm a single Mom and I tell her she has to help Mommy take care of the things. She's likes feeling helpful and it helps me keep things tidy while working full time.

2
0 10

Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Jr. for ages 3-12

Pay you kid's commission an allowance (the term implies that they are allowing certain rights, like government assistance just because). Examples picking up clothes, wiping counter, vacuuming, feeding animals.

Fine them for bad behavior or habits you would like to break. for example wasting electricity or being rude.

My son gets 10 cents per occurrence with the exception of putting up baskets of clothes which is 60 cents (as bonus). Fines are 5 - 10 cents excepts not doing school work by end of day is 50 cents. His max pay with out bonus of clothes is $7 because he is 7 years old. I use a notebook and copies I made from the kit I bought so I can see his progress and give raises with evaluations like "real" jobs. My son asked when he could get a raise so I said quarterly and I will give him a quarter raise if he deserves it. with the note book I can look at past performance and see where I need to adjust.

The idea is to use Covey's method to create and break habits by have jobs and fines consistent for 6-8 weeks to get the results you want and then change the jobs they are paid for, but you still expect them to do the other things as a part of the getting older and being more responsible.

2
0 28

Wonderful! I'm going to try this one too along with the other comment by Ethel and Christina :-)

6 33

I started my 5yrs old on chores when she was 3-4yrs old. I had a sticker chart made for her and everytime she would filled a sticker chart up she would get a big reward like a kids meal from mcdonalds or any toy or movie she wanted. If she didn't fill it up she knew she wasn't going to reward.
Now when I was ages 10-14yrs old I had to do chores and my allowance was $5 every week and as a bonus if I were to do all my chores plus bring home a report card of all A+ then it would go up to $10. Which to a child my age at the time you couldn't get much for $5 so $10 was a whole lot better.

2
0 28

OMG I wish I could find that sticker chart. I've been trying to develop something for my kids to keep all of us on task. We get on a schedule for a week then drop off... ugh... but I like the weekly allowance, because both my kids are A/B students and I really don't see paying for chores, but the weekly/bi-weekly allowance is pretty good (but I've been fighting it for some time now as I don't believe in paying them for stuff they should already be doing) -

0 1

Chores should be something we instill in our kids from the time they are little. In my opinion, relating chores to allowances would make our kids believe that they should be paid for everything they do. In the long run they would not be able to grasp the idea that we all do certain things in our homes or for our communities without expecting to get paid for them. Lets completely separate the two. Our kids should be able to help set the table and attempt to make their beds when they are 7 years old.

1
0 3

I have three children, 4,5,and 7. All three have responsibilities. The girls(4&5) clean their room with my supervision, clean up their toys and put away their table and chairs after dinner. My son the 7 yr old, cleans his room independently, empties the garbage can, take the garbage out and take the cans to the curb on garbage day. They are expected to make their bed, to the best of their ability, as they get older I expect the bed to look better(actually the girls do a better job than the boy). I have not begun to give an allowance, but when I do it will be seperate from chores. They have chores because they need to learn to be responsibility and how to help out around the house. I am their mother not their maid. When they begin to get an allowance it will be to teach them the value money.

1
1

Im 14 not a mom but I think 5-10 dollars a week mabey

0
10 4

I think that there are just certain things that kids should do. I had my two oldest start picking up their toys when they were both 2 years old. My son just turned 3 and he LOVES helping mom around the house. Whenever he does something "extra" he gets a reward such as a nickel or the loose pennies in my pocket. My oldest is almost 9 and she has regular chores every day but if she wants to "EARN" money she has to go above and beyond and either do an AWESOME job of doing her chores or do an extra chore or two without being asked.

0
0 0

What I do with my 10 year old son is he has chores around the house, his own laundry, his room dishwasher and taking out garbage, no money for those things. I try and teach him that me as an adult, i have to clean up after myself and if i want something i need to go work for it, i want him to understand this also. If he wants something, he has the option of going around our neighborhood ( nice friendly area) and wash cars, walk dogs, rake yards, pull weeds, or mow grass for money. That said He always says to the buyer " donations only" he gets paid by earning it. I like Debbie Walls comment, my son has to save, we always have given him money for God but i like that idea. He saves 1/3 of his money, then he usually ends up taking out his sisters ( 4&5) out for ice cream or chips.

0
0 7

Basically, Thank You for asking this question. It was quite helpful for me to read all the posts. I started thinking back to when I had to start doing chores and stuff and have realized that I NEED to make sure my kids are doing chores. Some of the problem though is what I want to do about allowance. I'll figure that out later though.

0
0 5

hi My 7 year old has been responsible for her room since she was 5 this meaning Monday to Friday when she wakes up she needs to make her bed open her curtains and put her washing out to be washed, there is no payment for this as it is life and she will need to do these things without pay when she leaves home. if she is asked to clean up her room ( pick toys and stuff up off the floor and put them away in their rightful place) that's unpaid also . but I have started giving her $1 for each of her years($7) to empty the dishwasher Monday to Friday and help with any other thing i may need like bring the washing in once a week or help with the fire wood. most days it not a problem but i have explained that the dishwasher has to be done all 5 days or no money as i believe that she is also learning that just because you don't want to do it today you have to. My 3 year old helps with the dishes and she puts the knife and forks away and i give her $3 a week but for her its not a everyday thing but if she starts she must finish it. the other thing I have said to my 7 year old is that she needs to bank half of her money each week I'm hoping she becomes wiser with how far her money goes than her mum she has also realized that the money she can spend if saved up for a few weeks mean that she can go into her favorite shop(where thing on avg is $5 or more) and buy herself something.

0
0 35

I believe that it is good for everyone to do chores my two younger children love to help me around the house my middle boy picks his toys up as his job and little girl sees what her brother is doing and copies him

0
0 37

well my daughter is only 6years old and her chores are things like making her bed before school,putting her lunch box out after school and she even washes it putting her washing out to be washed toys away when finished playing with them we thought setting little things like this will help her learn to help out around the house as she gets older.Allowance at this age she gets whole $2 and if there is something she really wants she can learn to save for it.with in the next year she will be doing alot more putting dishes away making her own lunch.But i was very lucky with her and her little brother from the age of 2 they loved being given a rag for them to wipe things down and helping push vac round they love it when you put music on and help to clean and sometimes would reward the cleanning with trip to the $2 shop while they were little and pick one thing out each.

0
24 8

In our house we have chores that have to be done part of being a family, and others that they get paid for. We have 4 children age 5-10. The three oldest rotate the chore list weekly so no one can complain that oe job is easier than another. The jobs are: dishes, folding laundry and picking up after our 3 dogs. If they chose not to do their job that day they lose money, if it continues to not be done, than they are fired and have to do the job for free. The littlest one earns her money by helping me with things that aren't done on a regular basis, like cleaning out the cars, gardening. Things that she can do. Things the children do not get an alouance for are, cleaning their rooms every day, making sure laundry is in dirty hamper, taking out garbage, helping with the groceries, watching out for their little sister who has Diabeties and helping at their grandmas house.
I. Think children should get paid to help them understand how the real world works, and at the same time not for everything, so they can understand that it is not just one persons job to do all the work at home

0
7 19

my boys don't know what allowence is @ thier ages (6yrs and 3yrs) but they are responsible for picking up thier toys b4 bed and feeding/watering our dog a few times a day, the older one does the water that way we have less spills

0
22 29

My son has been 'doing chores' since he could walk and each year, they get progressively more difficult. There are some things that are just expected of him to do, like clean his room and put away his clothes, etc. But I do give him a commission when completing chores that are outside of that 'because it's your responsibility' like putting away the dishes, taking out the trash, etc. I do this because I believe that it's my responsibility to teach him that things are not just handed to him and he needs to earn his way through life. We also go through his money jar on a monthly basis and sort out what's he's going to spend, what he's going to save and what he's going to give away.

0
6 33

Once in awhile money is nice as a treat. I learned this the hard way. I have three sons; two teenagers and one preteen. I started out paying them to clean and then they would not clean unless I paid them and now that I stopped, they help a lot more.

0
110 53

By the time my oldest was 5 years old, ahe helped put dishes away and match socks and put them away. Ofcourse putting toys away was also part of her chores as was putting cans away when we went shopping. As she got older and I had another child, her responsibilities grew, but were appropriate for her age and maturity. At 10 I began teaching her how to clean HER bathroom and how to sweep and mop. By the time my youngest was 4, I started all over with her on her chores. Now at 17 and 9, they work together washing dishes, sorting thier own laundry and putting it away. My oldest will make dinner a few times a week or my husband will do it. I do general housework every other day only because I live in the desert and dust is everywhere! The girls also take care of the dog, taking turns every other day. Since I get up so early, I feed the dog before I leave to work.
No, I don't "PAY" the girls, this is thier job, period. I DO take them to the movies once a month, slip a twentyto the oldest and a twenty to the youngest not so muchas an allowance, but as a recognition for meeting and/or exceeding expectations.

0
9 8

I have 3 daughters aged 14, 11 and 9 and they do have chores they need to do. Sometimes I pay them but sometimes they just do it as a way of helping out and teaching them responsibility. My question is how much should they be paid as an allowance , what is the right amount?

Its hard sometimes to get them to do chores without being asked ...........lol

0
1 20

my daughter has been doing chores for the past few weeks (3 months now)- its a way to snap her out of misbehaving- she's 4 and a half yrs ond- she has a daily chart and does thins like- putting away toys, brushing her teeth, helping me with her little brother- simple things like that- when I don't tell her to do it, she gets extra coins for it- she gets anywhere from 5-25cents for each chore she does- at the end of the week she gets a bag full of coins and gets to put it in her bank- sometimes she'll have $3.00 - other times she'll have upto $8.00- sometimes when she acts up, she looses coins (she doesn't like that so much)- no more diapers at night and all through the night (the next morning, she got a whole dollar reward for dryness- so proud)- sometimes it works and sometimes this backfires- my hubby thinks its wrong- I think she's responsible enough for this challenge!

0
963 14

They can start chores as soon as they are mobile. My two year old helps with laundry, picks up toys, and runs small simple errands. "Chores" are simply everyone in the home sharing the running of the home. The sooner you can learn how to take care of your home, the better off you'll be as a grown-up.
Allowance is a way for parents to teach children how to handle money. The sooner you can learn that, the better off you'll be as a grown-up as well.
At our house you can earn extras for special chores. Sometimes things come up that aren't part of the day to day running of the home. Extra privileges (or occasionally cash) can be given for helping with those.

0
7 0

My 6 year old has been helping around the house since she could walk. She does most of the laundry, keeps her room tidy and helps with spot vacuuming. She has responsibility for helping to feed the cats as well as general tidying. She has also started helping with cooking the dinner. We have not badged these as chores as she has grown up helping she doesn't see it as onerous (not yet anyway!!). We keep this separate from pocket money at the moment. But if she has had a particularly bad week she might get her pocket money docked or tv taken away etc. We tend to reward extra good behaviour with a treat, but keep this separate from the money.

0
2 3

My mum doesn't pay me for chores like tidy my bed, room, wash my shoes as she believe it's my duty to keep clean. Instead I got allowances by helping my mum to clean windows, floors, help to cook, etc. when I grew older 12, I start to work at factory as general workers. When I turn 17, I work as a clerk in the same factory during school holiday. All money earn 50% into my savings and 50% for me to spend on whatever I wish. I use to hate my mum by taking away my school holidays time but looking back I really appreciate her very much because she made me realize that we need to work hard in life in order to live a better life. Start by studying hard to find a quality job. I love u mum.

0
1 5

We do both. They get a 'base' salary each week and then a set amount for a set job. I downloaded IAllowance on my Iphone and we check off when the jobs are done. It keeps track of how much is owed on 'payday'. They both will get a base raise at the beginning of the school years. 2nd grader will get $2.00 per week and .10 per job per day that he does. 4th grader will get $3.00 per week plus extra for work done per day. Some weeks they get more and some less, just sort of depends.

0
40 0

My 6 year old daughter has been helping with laundry, trash, and general picking up of clutter since she was 4. Since she can reach most of the cabinets now, I have her unload the dishwasher for me as well. Last year (kindergarten and first grade), she got $1 for every day she stayed on green at school for good behavior. This year (second grade started this week), I told her she has to stay on green all week to earn $5 and if not all week, she doesn't get any money. I don't know if that's a perfect method, but it seems to work with her. She is a year younger than her classmates and she has ADHD, so I think it must be a pretty good system. I know it seems off topic, but that's really the only time we give her money, unless we have a big job for her to do on her own. She just knows she has to help with chores when told to do so.

0
21 12

My kids,age 8,9 & 10 get a weekly allowance,we have a dry erase board w/chores & rules,they get $5 at the end of the week if chores have been done,but also for each check mark they get for breaking the rules(talking back,fighting,etc they lose a dollar)their money goes into their banks and they already have goals for what they want to buy,my daughter for example wants to buy herself a new bed set,pretty good choice I think,and they are learning not only that they have responsibilities at home but that they have to earn things,not just get it handed to them,as well as their are consequences for not following the rules,in house and in life

0
8 62

My son started chores @ 10yrs. I did pay him for his work; however, I do not included his room and picking up after himself as part of his chore list. It has to be extra like: dishes, sweeping, mopping, vacuum & garbage. I think that it is important to pay them for the extra. I feel this helps with good work ethic for later in life. If he doesn't feel like cleaning one week that's completely cool, but there is no pay.

0
20 15

Our oldest daughter is 4.5 and I had her putting dirty clothes in the sorting hampers (three bags together) when she was about 3.5. I would and still do tell her which one to put her clothes in. "White shirt goes in the first one and your jean shorts go in the last one." She does pretty good on her own when I don't instruct her. My husband and I will be giving her an allowance, starting at age 5, for doing some chores around the house as it will get her to start learning how a job works. Eventually it may go to certain things she does around the house that earns her money. Like cleaning her room doesn't earn money as you need to learn to keep your own place clean as no one else will when you move out. And things for the family, aka dishes, sweeping, mopping etc, will earn the allowance as that is more like a job. I do understand why some moms are for allowance but not for chores. Good idea there too moms.

0
109 0

I've had chores since like 4 th grade.I have to do dishes, clean my room, laundry both mine and wash towels, I have to clean the bathroom, pick up after the dogs, feed them& give them water, pull weeds & grass out of the fron yard , rake leaves, sweep, vacume and at one point I had fish I had to feed and help clean the tank.I've got siblings who help with these chores but none of us get allowance. Only my little sister gets allowance for things she does at our dads house. My room I keep clean because I loose things easily( I manage to loose things even when my room is clean.) the main thingthat is still lost eventhough I just cleaned my room is my house keys

0
0 1

My son was 6 when I started giving him an allowance. He gets a $1 a week for taking out the recycle each day, checking the mail each day, putting the garbage and recycle to the curb and bringing the bins back up after. He enjoys doing it, loves the sense of responsibility.

0
0 1

I started doing dishes when I was 5 with my brothers and I was the one who would help my Mum with all the other jobs like washing, ironing, cleaning and always cooking :) I would get pocket money from an early age and I would always save it or layby something and by the time I was 12 I was doing pretty much all of it and getting paid about 20 bucks a week - now I always keep a clean house and enjoy cooking still and I'm trying to teach my children the same even tho they are boys so they get pretty lazy!

0
0 10

I have 3 daughters ages 11, 8 and 6... and i tried the chore list incorporated with an allowance. it worked for about 2 weeks and then I had my fourth daughter who is now 3months old, and the older girls totally forgot about it. Maybe I didnt implement enough the importance of being cooperative and helping each other out. The money enticed them at first, but now they dont seem to care and then at the end of the month they are asking me for allowance and I have to tell them no because they do not help around the house... im so confuzed as to what would help them stay on track... any ideas ANYONE?

0