What do you think are the greatest advantages of homeschooling?

1 0

The children learn so much better, because we are able to tailor their education to how they learn best, they are better socialized and have phenomenal conversations even with adults. Not having the outside influences of school kids helps children have a sense of accomplishment and confidence that is amazing. We are graduating our first high schooler this year. She will be testing out of the first 2 years of college and getting her bachelors degree for less the $20,000!! Reducing post gradate debt is huge for these kids just starting out. Not something public schools provide information about!

0
8 249

Absolutely, positively being able to point my children to their Creator. As we explore the world around us, they are soaking up all the details. They are bombarded with information from the world on a daily basis. To be able to show them God's fingerprints in nature, and His love in their lives, we are training their hearts towards Jesus.

0
0 9

While homeschooling was not something I had planned for, it has become one of the largest defining moments in my life. Homeschooling is not just a school choice, but a life choice. It become a way a life, a part of who you are your family are.

There are two things I believe to be the greatest advantages for our family. The first great advantage of homeschooling is the time together. In no other situation could we spend so much family together. We laugh, love and learn together. After having completed our 7th year of homeschooling this year, I can't imagine not have this time with my children.

The second greatest advantage of homeschooling for our family is the ability to run life on our terms. This encompasses what our children learn, how they learn it, and when they learn it as well as the timeline that is our lives. For instance we can have one child working years ahead in a subject, we can put off one subject that is causing too much grief to one of the children, we can get up at 9am or vacation anytime. I think I often take for granted the amount of freedom and control we have in our lives because of homeschooling.

0
0 0

I think the greatest advantages to homeschooling include the flexibility to teach to your child's individual abilities and interests; the freedom to move beyond the textbook and go in-depth with different subjects; real-world educational application and opportunities; and lots of field trips.

0
0 0

The ability to tailor the child's education to his or her own strengths, weaknesses, and interests.

0
0 0

I totally agree . Also you can teach your child /children more than just the basics that are needed for promotion.

2 0

Flexibility and the ability to teach to your child's learning style.

0
0 13

The number one greatest advantage of homeschooling is the time you get to spend with your children. I cherish every day I spend with my children, witnessing their amazing journey to adulthood.

Other important advantages include teaching children to learn to be responsible for their own education and have some say so in how they would like to learn a particular topic. I am amazed by the choices they make. Sometimes they choose an outside the home class, while other times they want to explore on their own terms. What better way can you prepare youth for the experiences of college and life?

0
0 0

I think the greatest advantages of homeschooling are the benefit of one-on-one tutoring instead of being one child in a class of thirty, the benefit of close family ties- living and working together everyday, and the extra help a student with a learning disability or special needs can receive.

0
0 0

When I left my job to go on maternity leave a little over 3 years ago, I never knew I wouldn’t be returning. Had you told me I was going to take extended leave to stay home full time to care for my baby, I probably would have believed you. Had you told me I was going to stop working outside of the home completely, and start homeschooling my child, I may have laughed. Me? Homeschooling? The thought had never crossed my mind. Now, I couldn’t imagine it any other way. I see the path before us, and I am excited. Although I am just at the beginning of our homeschooling journey, the advantages are incredible. For me, the greatest advantage is that I am in my Son’s life, all day long. As he learns new things, I am by his side. When his eyes shine bright as he discovers something new, I am there. When he claps and cheers with pure Joy after he realizes he just figured out how to do something, I am there. As he learns to read and write, I am there. When he has a question, I am there. As he discovers his passions, I am there. Once those passions are realized, together he and I can explore and cultivate them, learning in the way that is best for him. I look forward to being there, to experiencing him evolve. Although I am the teacher, I am also a student myself, learning along the way. As a family, we will learn together. The “classroom” will expand beyond the walls of our home, and into the world all around us. These advantages and many more, are why I have chosen this path, or more accurately, why this path has chosen me.

0
0 0

For my husband and me, the greatest advantage might have been the extra time we were able to spend with our children. Children really do grow up too quickly, and we cherished the extra moments together. Because our children weren't away for most of the day, my husband and I were also able to be role models in a way that we wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Our two children had the advantages of individualized education and a curriculum that followed their interests. They enjoyed special family trips and events that were uniquely part of our homeschool. Our children loved homeschooling, and they also loved attending college afterward. Homeschooling gave them a good preparation for college as well as a love of learning, which they still have. Our children's love of learning is another of the greatest advantages of our homeschooling.

0
0 0

I believe that the advantages of homeschooling are numerous. The one that speaks most to me is the advantage of academics. I can customize curriculum for each child. I can teach according to my value system, culture and language. I can give my children more individual attention than they would receive anywhere else because the teacher student ratio is set by me, not by the government’s budget. I know that my children are receiving the highest quality education possible because it is my responsibility. If they don’t know something, don’t know how to figure something out, or are lacking anything, it is my fault. I devote my time to creating an experience called “Life” that is both unforgettable and educationally stimulating. I have the opportunity to teach my children according to my philosophy of education. I strongly believe that we have to teach children the basics of life and learning (reading, math, science, writing, etc.) Once they have mastered the concept of learning how to learn, I can scaffold back my control of how we learn and what we learn. For me that means that I am the greatest advocate for my child. I research and dedicate resources to enrich their learning. It is my full time job, and I love it. I have so much control; therefore I am able to give away even more control to my kids when they are ready for it. They can control what they learn and when they learn it.
There are many other advantages of homeschooling as well. Honestly, homeschooling has the advantage of socialization. I’ve run a playgroup for 2.5 years now and there is always something exciting happening that we can be a part of. Homeschooling as my boys grow older will simply follow the same pattern that getting out and playing, working, and learning with our friends in our playgroup has been for the last few years. They will be exposed to a much broader group of people. Instructors can be more diverse than anything offered through any school, and we can meet new friends from all walks of life, countries and languages instead of just the kids that live within a 1 mile radius of our home.
Flexibility is another advantage. I love to create, I love to experience, I love to learn, and I have the flexibility to do all of those things in a manner that works for us. The schedule is flexible, the curriculum is flexible, the hours are flexible, and the days are even flexible. Snow day? Sure! Too hot mid-summer to do anything but schooling inside an air-conditioned museum or library? Sure!
I could talk forever about the advantages of homeschooling. Mostly it comes down to love. I love my children and highly value their education. I know that homeschooling is right for us.

0
0 0

That's easy - it's the ability to tailor your time, energy and talents around molding the next generation while minimizing worldly distractions and unwanted intrusions! What better way to train up a child!

0
0 0

When I speak to other homeschoolers, I always contrast the word advantages with "considerations". I feel what might be an advantage for one family could be a consideration for another. While I do feel that homeschooling is a superior education, I realize it is not for the faint of heart. {Some folks are statistic people. You can visit http://www.nheri.org/ and http://hslda.org/ for some stats.}

One advantage in our homeschool day is that my sons don't have to be isolated with only children their own age. We include children of different ages, adults and grandparents as we learn each day. Positive role models in both peers and adults can influence my sons to view learning as a delight.

To examine traditional ways of learning to see if it's good for my family, without having to leave tradition and learn in a way that suits my sons is another asset.

Planning and attending field trips EACH month or week if want to and taking art classes, learning foreign languages, participating in ballroom dance, taking archery lessons, learning to play piano, science co-ops, swimming and participating in history rendezvous just touch the fringe of what we have enjoyed doing as extracurricular.

The greatest advantage is not only to be able to maintain rigorous academic standards but to reach their hearts with Godly values.

I tout this quote by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay as I go along homeschooling: "There can be no greater vocation in life than the family responsibility of sharing life with the growing child. The school is an extension of our home."

Homeschool from the heart and be passionate about it. The advantages are as endless and unique as your family.

0
0 0

For our family, it is flexibility. We did not choose homeschooling lightly. It wasn't something we really wanted, but felt like God led us to. Now, 6+ years later, it is a perfect fit for our missionary family. We have a strange working schedule and homeschooling gives us freedom to be flexible.

0
0 0

Three things come to mind. FIRST, homeschooling allows families to match their family priorities, morals and beliefs with their children's homeschooling endeavors. As you teach your kids, you can intertwine your beliefs into their studies. This is a huge advantage because you are giving your kids a worldview they can use for the rest of their lives. A top goal for our kids was to teach them to think Biblically & critically in all situations. Homeschooling provides an opportunity for us to achieve this goal.

SECOND, you can give your children a superb education, going far beyond the basics. A superb education encompasses good literature, critical thinking skills through reading, writing, discussing, and much more. Education is more than simply studying certain subject areas. Education becomes a life experience. As our children received a superb education, they also received the tools of learning so they can tackle any & all difficult situations in their adult years.

FINALLY, homeschooling allows you to make learning FUN. That's right, learning should be fun. Besides traditional ways of education (read, write, discuss), your kids can learn through field trips, hands-on activities and real life classes. Field trips allow your children to learn from the source itself, whether it's a museum, newspaper printing press or pioneer town. Field trips are fun and educational at the same time.

At home, your kids can participate in hands-on projects, experiments or activities. We loved activities involving food, such as the Oreo moon phases, pizza cell model or making tamales as we studied Mexico. This makes learning fun and the lessons stay with your kids.

Homeschooling also allows you to find experts in a field and let your children learn from them - real life classes from real life experts. My oldest enjoyed art so she took painting classes from a watercolor artist. My other two children enjoyed sports, so they joined teams and attended sports camps to improve their skills. In homeschooling, these are no longer extra-curricular activities, but part of your regular lessons.

For our family, each of these 3 areas were important to us: Biblical worldview intertwined in subject areas, a superb education that provides the tools of learning & critical thinking, and fun! What more could you ask for in homeschooling.

0
12 0

For the parent, the greatest advantage of homeschooling is being able to experience your child's childhood in its totality. Childhoods happen just once and homeschooling allows you to not miss 7plus hours a day of it that you would were your child enrolled in public or private school.

For the child, the greatest advantages of homeschooling is they are allowed the opportunity to learn in the way that they learn best (visual, auditory, kinesthetic, etc) with a schedule that allows more flexibility for individual pursuits, interest areas, and family time. Homeschooling allows and encourages children to procure a joy for learning at an early age.

0
0 0

One of the greatest advantages of homeschooling, I think, is that I can tailor my children's education to best fit their learning style, personality, and current likes and interests. I really feel that the parent is the child's first and best teacher, and if I have the opportunity to be able to continue in that role for as long as possible, then that is what I plan to do. Having been a classroom teacher, I know the challenges of getting to know 30 new children each year and trying to meet their individual needs. It's tough. On the other hand, I know my children really well, so it's easy for me to see what they need extra help with, and what they've already mastered. It's also easy for me to draw on their likes and interests to help them branch out and learn new things. I like that with homeschooling, I can be there to guide my children during their first, most impressionable years, and ensure they build a good foundation for future learning.

0
0 0

There are many advantages such as a tailored education and setting your own pace. One of my favorite benefits is that I get to sleep in and we set our schedule as fits our crazy, busy days! We don't school in a typical 9am to 3pm schedule. It happens all throughout the day, broken up by the needs of the toddler and the rest of our family. When my youngest was born and I was up at 4am for a feeding, it was a really great feeling to sleep in the next morning and still get our work done. At our pace!

http://www.homeschoolmadness.com/2011/09/06/our-first-day-2011/

0
0 0

I feel so blessed that I can stay home with our daughter each day, and not only teach her new things, but enjoy her company. Children grow up so fast and I am taking advantage of the time we have together.

0
0 0

Several summers ago my two sons were invited to compete in a full-tuition scholarship competition. There were ten winners out of 108 students. Two of the winners were homeschoolers. Both were mine. I wondered later, “How did that happen!?” I believe it happened because of four great advantages of homeschooling through high school.

The Curriculum Advantage
Many homeschoolers have a very rigorous academic plan. Whether they choose to unschool or follow a classical education model, homeschoolers will succeed when they learn on purpose. They will succeed when they do the “next thing” and keep moving forward. They can invest their money and time in weaker areas, as well as areas of strength. Homeschoolers can tailor curriculum to suit their students. They can make sure students are always challenged yet still understand concepts before moving on. They can provide broad exposure to a variety of subjects.

The Testing Advantage
My sons had great SAT scores because we studied for the SAT test, two or three times a week. It’s not a waste of time to study—students learn vocabulary, essay-writing skills, and get a great math review. In his first quarter of college, my son said “I’m so glad you taught me how to write a quick essay! It really helped on my midterm today!” With test scores, homeschoolers have the advantage. We can use SAT prep as part of our curriculum, and study during school hours.

The Comprehensive Records Advantage
When we applied for admission, I gave the colleges a lot of information. While the minimum information they need is a transcript, I chose to provide more, which really helped. For everything on our transcript, I included a course description, the books we used, and how I graded the class. Homeschoolers have the advantage here—we control our homeschool records and determine how much information we provide to colleges. If you’re interested in seeing my records, you can find out more at www.ComprehensiveRecordSolution.com.

The Character Advantage
My sons were invited to participate in the scholarship competition because of their comprehensive records and SAT scores, but that’s not why they won. I was nervous about them competing in something so intense, but they had fun. When they came home that day, they both said, “I don’t know if I won, but I had a great time! All the kids were so nice!” Later I was told that the evaluators were looking for character. The students were observed when they walked between events. Were they friendly and kind to others? How did they interact with their peers? When character and socialization are evaluated, homeschoolers have the advantage! We can shape the character of our children while they are at home, instead of them being conformed to their peers.

0
0 0

The greatest advantage of home schooling is the relationship building that it allows. Because we are learning and doing life together all day my kids are developing strong relationships with me and with each other.

0
0 0

I see two primary advantages. First, whether ahead, behind, average, or exceptional in some way, we can tailor our children’s educational experience to meet their needs. I think this gives homeschoolers a huge advantage in keeping our children’s passion for and joy in learning alive. I don’t believe we can give them a better gift to carry into their adult lives. Second, homeschooling parents receive an unbelievable opportunity to watch their children grow and blossom. We are there, day in and day out, to see the changes. Every day is not perfect by any means. However, being truly present for the process of watching a child grow over time into the person they are meant to be is an amazing gift.

0
0 0

The flexibility and ability to study what interests our family. We can travel and still school, plan vacations during times when other children are in school, but most importantly ~ we are able to spend more time together and enjoy THAT time together!

0
0 0

The greatest advantage to our family in homeschooling is the ability to be together. When my oldest children were still in public school, our family time was much less than we wanted, even though we stayed home a lot.

I felt like I was watching our lives flash before my eyes, and I wanted to slow time down. Homeschooling has accomplished that goal. Instead of my children growing away from me, they grow with me.

The other huge advantage to homeschooling involves our #1 reason to homeschool in the first place-we can fill our children with all of the truth the Bible has to offer and give them a solid faith foundation.

One day, they will be ready to be a light for the world, but today I am nurturing that flame into existence.

0
0 0

I wrote a post awhile ago that talks about why we chose to homeschool.

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2009/09/why-i-homeschool.html

I think one of the best advantages is the flexibility. Flexibility to choose curriculum that works for your family and individual students, and flexibility schedule wise. We are free to study things that interest us, take field trips, and take the day off if needed!

0
0 0

Time. Homeschooling has given us time to slow down and work on something academically until they really get it, time to move ahead if they’ve grasped something quickly, time to add or delete the essentials and non-essentials of life, and time to develop good relationships with our kids.

0
0 0

I think the greatest advantages of homeschooling are being able to spend so much time with my kids in their formative years and having the ability to customize each child's education to his or her unique needs. Homeschooling gives me the ability to focus on each child's strengths while shoring up their weaknesses and allowing them to explore their interests.

0
0 0

The single greatest advantage to homeschooling is the ability to disciple your children, each and every day, without the disadvantage of exposure to worldviews that differ greatly from your own. Other amazing advantages include: the blessing of seeing those precious moments you would otherwise miss, being with them to answer all those tough questions that pop up, and building a strong family unit.

0