What food could I give to a 16 month old who doesn't like meat?

Feeding a picky eater a diverse and nutritional diet can be a challenge. What are some foods that can be given to a 16 month old who doesn't eat meat?

1 6

Greek yogurt has a lot more protein then regular yogurt, 18g vs 8g.

5
7 23

My children love tofu. It's pretty bland and easy to eat. They've been eating it since a year old and haven't stopped. Beans are also a good source of protein and fiber. My son loves em.

4
1 6

I don't give my child any meat or dairy. Peanut butter, soy butter, almond butter, black beans, pinto beans, kindey beans, garbanzo beans, tofu! All easy for a 16 month to chew with gums.

3
33 0

A good multi vitamin and fruits and veggies. There is nothing wrong with not eating meat so long as you make sure they have a balanced diet and foots to cover the nutrients they would get from meat.

Peanut butter is very good. Natural peanut butter is even better. Peanuts and other nuts are great for them. I would not worry much if they don't care for meat just don't feed them a ton of mac and cheese.

2
25 0

I don't agree with giving vitamins- if you eat what the earth gives you-it is not necessary. Some kids just dont like meat-but you can give beans and veggies and get all the nutrients you need

321 14

Will he/she eat fish? All my daughters love fresh fish, although I do buy fillets so there's no bones to contend with. How about vegetarian alternatives like Quorn (or cheaper versions). How necessary is meat in the diet? All my daughters eat meat but the amount of meat in their diet compared to the fruit/veg, pasta/rice/potatoes is very minimal.

1
1 0

Try Salmon - that is when I introduced it to my daughter and to this day her favorite meal is salmon, brocolli and brown rice.

1
14 23

I was a little nervous that my daughter didn't seem to like meat much either. But eventually she started to come around. As others have suggested, eggs, greek yogurt, peanut butter, cream cheese, are all good sources of protein which is what they are missing out on when not having meat. Also suggested previously to keep offering it. Eventually my daughter started out with chicken and turkey, and only more recently within the past year has started eating red meats. I did discuss this with my pediatrician, and she said that the majority of kids won't eat red meats because of the metallic taste it has and that as long as she was getting enough protein otherwise, then it wasn't cause for concern. Good luck!

1
9 0

My daughter is not a meat eater either so I give her eggs and spinach, yogurt, peanut butter in small amounts...basically anything that has protein and iron in it to make up for her lack of meat intake. Beans, lentils and anything on a vegatarian diet plan will also work well.

1
1 9

Beans are always a protiein that works. You can always meet protein needs with cheese and other milk products such as yougurt, cottage cheese, etc. My daughter does not eat much meat but she will tear up the rest :) Good luck!

1
15 6

Quinoa is great. It has lots of protein in it. My daughter wont touch meat or beans so I started to substitute my rice for quinoa and she gobbles it up. Also flovored tofu and eggs for breakfast everymorning (I mix the tofu in the eggs because she wont eat the eggs on their own)

1
64 80

My little girl really likes kidney beans. I'll mash some up, add a little cheddar or Mexican cheese, then spread it on a wheat tortilla and microwave it for 10-15 seconds. Then I cut it up into little bits. You can also mash kidney beans into a lot of soft fruits, like bananas and such.

We also do a lot of Sunbutter in our house (sunflower seed butter, it tastes almost exactly like peanut butter), spread on crackers, bread or tortillas. Sometimes I add just a dab of mashed raspberries or grape jelly for fun. :)

1
29 11

I took my guy to a nutritionist and then to a feeding therapist because of the same problem....it wasn't just meat though he was extremely picky. We kept a food diary for a couple of days everything from foods, snacks, drinks and dipping sauces and as it turns out he ate so much yogurt and cheese and beans and peanut butter that he was not missing anything by way of protein. try keeping a diary and going over it to be sure he/she is getting a balanced diet without meat. You'll feel better about what they are eating if you see it and if it comes down to it you'll already have an extensive list if you've got to make a trip to a nutritionist.

1
29 11

and milk!

4 0

pinto beans - bean burritos
chick peas - hummus
avacados - guacamole
spinach - quishe
eggs - quishe
black eyed peas
kidney beans
tvp (texturized vegetable proten) aka veggie meat
tofu

0
11 16

THey absolutely have to have protien. The best alternatives are legumes i.e. any type of bean. Lentils are fantastic and can be processed to just look like a sauce or soup. Tofu is good too and the texture might just suite a child of that age.

0
51 0

U.S. meat & poultry from factory farms has antibiotics, growth hormones & pesticides. He's one smart kid! Just find a vegetarian cookbook/website. My kids love Mexican, Indian, Middle East & Oriental dishes w. no meat.

Went thru a vegan period when kids were little. To this day my son & daughter won't eat beef, son only eats fish & chicken (preferably hormone & antibiotic-free, free-range organic). I use animal products more as a garnish than a main dish, so that way I can afford organic.

Also any hot cereal + nuts or peanut butter = complete protien. Quinoa mentioned before is the only grain that's a complete protein (& yummy, as hot pilaf or cold salad w. grapes, dill seed, raspberry vinegar & cashews).

0
18 0

I your 16 month old doesn't like meet you can give him/her fish,tofu or iron fortified foods like beens,green beans,black beans or food containing folic acid,all green leaf foods.Also ,you can give him eggs. Or try to blend it hard with the food in order he/she can not recognise the meet inside the food.

0
12 0

It definitely is a challenge. What about turkey? It's also a protein, and it is a good source of iron.
At 16 months, eggs are an alternative for the protein and vitamin b12, (but not the iron - so need some green leafy vegetables).
Either way, keep trying to introduce meat every couple of months as toddlers can be very fickle with what they agree to eat and might just change their mind - making your life easier.

0
0 0

MY LITTLE GUY HAS CHOSEN, HIMSELF, TO NOT EAT MEAT, PEOPLE THINK IKEP IT FROM HIM BUT HE CHOSES TO STAY AWAY...I THINK ITS GREAT HE LOVESFRUIE AND VEGGIES ESP GREEN BEANS AND BANANAS

0
5 0

Scrambled eggs. Apple sauce. Have you tried pretending to eat whatever your trying to get them to eat? just say ohhh yummyy and pretend to eat it and say your turn.

0
8 0

My Daughter(18 months), does eat fish and chichen fry, but does not like the smell of red meat, so I avoid them, she also like egg, i give her boiled egg everyday after a glass of milk.

0
126 2

I have a fussy eater and I give him Stage 3 formula and baby ceral for breakfast because it's enriched with iron. Mushrooms and tofu are a second best option. Mine didn't like meat either so I started buying him the preservative free version of crumbed chicken and fish fingers (they do exist!) and also beef risoles and herbed burgers, now he eats them cut into very small chunks. It was the stringy texture that put him off, not particularly the flavour, so the fingers and burgers worked wonders as they are easier to break. Worth a try if you haven't tried it yet, at least you know you are getting some meat into him. Good luck!

0
3 0

My daughter LOVES chickpeas, I'm trying to reinforce lentils. Hummus and whole chickpeas have been her fav, she eats them right out of the can if I let her.

0
84 39

my son is 18 months and isn't into meat so i just feed him the rest of the meal i make for everyone else and put a small piece of the meat to tempt him. he'd do anything for a good bowl of veggies thou.

0
8 4

peanut butter, sweet potatoes, and avocados are good sources of protein and iron rich.

0
111 36

Have you tried grilled chicken? That is the only meat my daughter will eat. She likes the legs since they are fun as well. I do take the skin off because she is not a fan of it. She does eat yogurt for breakfast. She also likes cheese, all fruit, veggies, pasta.

I think as more of her teeth come in she will enjoy more meat, but since it is hard to chew some of them she doesn't like it much.

0
0 0

I think all the suggestions I read are right on the mark. There are many foods available with nutrient equality that will be healthier in the long run.

0
5 2

There are actually a lot of foods you could give them. Mac and cheese potatoes, soups, and so forth. Make sure that the foods you are giving them have protine in them in order to compensate for the meat part of the diet. Look up recipese for things a vegitarian would eat. The child can still live a happy normal healthy life.

0
3 13

Well my boyfriend is a vegetarian, so we agreed that our daughter would not eat meat. We found that she like beans, tofu- which comes in so many different ways. There are companies out there like Morningstar which make meat free products that are easily incorporated into your meals! Greek yogurt is also an awesome option!

0
7 0

I agree with the other moms the Greek Yogurt although expensive may be the best healthy option.
My daughter (2yrs) has texture issues with foods, she wont eat a chicken leg but will eat if you take the meat off the bone. She also doesn't like peanut butter or anything that is sticky, do you know if its the taste or texture? Have you tried grinding meat in a food processor or Gerber meat sticks?

0
0 0

MY SON, WHO IS NOW 9 YEARS OLD HAS, AS FAR BACK AS 15 MONTHS OLD , NEVER LIKED MEAT...I THINK WITH HIM IT'S THE TEXTURE HE DISLIKES SO MUCH?
I WOULD RECOMMEND EGGS FOR PROTEIN, AND, AS THEY'RE SO VERSATILE, YOU CAN MAKE SUCH A VARIETY OF DISHES WITH THEM...JUST SO THEY DON'T GET BORING!

I WOULD ALSO RECOMMEND FEEDING YOUR BABY RAW VEGETABLES SUCH AS STICKS OF CELERY AND CARROT ETC. THESE TAKE QUITE A LOT OF CHEWING, AS DOES MEAT, SO TO EXERCISE THE JAW MUSCLES, I WOULD OFFER FOODS SUCH AS THESE ALSO!
XXX

0
0 9

There are lots of other things besides meat, as many people have suggested. And, I've read that even if children dislike something the first time, keep trying. I've given things to my kids that they've pushed away four or five times, and then all of sudden they liked it. Sometimes they don't like the taste or texture, so you can try different types of meat. For example, a steak is tough, but maybe some ground beef like a hamburger or meatball. Grilled chicken may be bland, but throw some drumsticks in a crockpot and it gets so soft it falls off the bone.

0
9 9

alot of times at grocery outlet their prices are really cheap, we sell Greek yogurt for like 2/1.00, inexpensieve, i love it

19 1

My son only eats meat with ketchup!

0
2 21

My son jus turned too awhile back but he didnt eat meat at that age either, look for other sources of protein also pediasure can help too. Try different side dishes, fruits, veggies, and anything really because at that age kids can really eat the same things u do.

0
15 17

I agree with the others who said quinoa and tofu. They're complete proteins, and if you get silken tofu it would be very palatable for your little one.

0
15 17

peanut butter, nuts, beans beans the magical fruit!

317 8

MY daughter also doesn't eat meat. I told her dr about it and she said as long as she was getting protein from other sources like milk, peanut butter, beans and looking at labels and seeing how much protein it has. She said as long as she was getting it from other sources not eating meat wasn't a big deal.

0
2 8

make sure you complement proteins. like beans are good but they don't have all the essential amino acids that your body needs but when you combine beans (or other legumes) with a whole grain you get a complete protein. Also there are some vitamins she may be lacking such as iron or vitamin B 12 so a child supplement might be a good idea if her doctor okays it. Good luck!

0
7 24

UMMM....fruits, veggies and other proteins. Meat isn't necessary, it is just an option for those that like it :-)

0
10 3

My daughter is 16 months and she does eat meat, but she also loves beans! I just throw them right on her tray and she eats them plain. As everyone else so far is saying, cheese is also a great option. I let her try all kinds. You can even find some with veggies in them. A couple chunks of cheese and some whole wheat crackers always go over well. You can also try any nut butter on crackers or whole grain flat bread. We love YoToddler yogurt too. It has cereal and fruit mixed in and comes in some great flavors (even my husband will eat it!). I would still try offering meat when you make it for yourself. You might find your child may actually like it a certain way, or maybe that they have just been being stubborn about having something new. Most importantly though, if you really are concerned, contact your doctor for advice!

0
19 21

if baby is sti breastfeeding quite a bit, will be just fine. Otherwise, some of the other suggestions sound good to me! Flavor is the name of the game!:)

0
0 0

My son was exactly the same and refused meat completely til he was over 2. I used to give him loads of kidney beans yogurt and cheese too and he was always really healthy. he's now almost 3 & still doesn't eat a lot of meat but is much less picky than when he waslittle. And believe me boy he was fussy!! good luck, they all usually get there in the end:)

0