What foods should I avoid when breastfeeding?

Since the food you eat affects your breast milk, what foods should you avoid when you are breastfeeding?

1 3

Not really any foods just avoid nicotine, excessive caffeine,and alcohol. Otherwise there isn't any problem with any particular foods. Just eat a balanced diet you ( and your baby) will be fine.

6
6 15

I made a curry chicken salad, ate it for lunch 3 days in a row and my little one freaked out on me. So no curry for me :(

1
156 34

I think u should avoid anything that upsets your baby's tummy. I avoid things that cause allergic reactions in my family e.g oranges, citrus fruit (oranges give me migraines) . This is diff to everyone of course. Chocolate don't seem 2 upset my baby. I just eat a healthy balanced diet and stay away from alcohol, I drink caffeine in moderation.

1
0 0

Chocolate hurts my lil one's tummy. I hear spicy food do too but I don't like them anymore so I don't know. I DO know that OATMEAL and YEAST HELP produce breast milk!!

1
0 8

my oldest child has food allergies so doctor said to avoid tree nuts and peanuts.

0
60 13

Have never found the need to avaoid anything. Apart from limiting my caffine intake and avoiding alcohol. I think the more varried your diet the better for your baby as it exposes them to a range of flavours and that can only make introducing solid foods later easier! There is also a school of thought that say the more variety of foods you eat while pregnant and breastfeeding the less risk of alergies or intolerances (unless you have a family history of alergies to a particular food). If you enjoy it I say eat it happily. I know some people have to steer clear of certain things as they have observed changes in their baby but I haven't ever had my baby have a reaction to anything I've eaten.

0
31 32

I had a little girl with terrible reflux, so what I ate made a huge difference to her comfort levels. I found that anything spicy and new season fruit were really rough on her and she got terrible gas. I'm currently pregnant with bubby #2, and I plan on maintaining a very bland diet after baby arrives as those first couple of months can be tough on newborns.

0
280 19

I had to completely give up dairy for the first four months. I couldn't eat one small piece of pizza without my milk causing my little one awful gas. I was so glad the pediatrician suggested dairy might be the culprit of her discomfort. Once i eliminated it, she was a happy camper!

0
42 254

Had to drink boiled water only wasnt allowed peas or products that cause wind yep onions too

0
0 0

Chocolate, Spicy and high Caffinated drinks (yes, especially Red Bull). I have also been told to avoid fish/seafood, but I find that a myth, unless there are known allergies in yours or your partners family. Fish has been increasng my milk supply whenever I eat it, and it also helps with the brain development, and Omega. Also Garlic is wonderful for giving breastmilk an extra sweet taste.

0
58 138

I second the chocolate thing. But, a small square of dark chocolate is known to help your health. So when I have some around I have a little (about an ounce) a day. If you have a huge chocolate craving, try adding carob chips into your cookies instead. Tastes the same and baby won't have a negative reaction. Mainly just stay away from alcoholic beverages, high doses of cafine (sp) and anything artificial if you can help it. The "less produced" and more "natural our raw" you can eat without artificial preservatives the better you will feel and healthier your milk will be. www.kellymom.com has great info for breastfeeding moms.

0
7 11

I find Chinese food and cabbage a big no-no as they cause baby to get gassy.