What is a great but cheap vacation for the summer?

Summertime is a popular time for family trips, while kids are out of school. If you have a limited budget but still want an amazing trip, what are some good vacation ideas?

9 10

We had a "staycation" and looked up all the local activities that we have not taken advantage of in our area. We hit up an amusement park that was an hour away, a local water park on another day, movies on yet another day. Got to eat at home and cook meals. Lots of homemade frozen drinks and fun "vacation" food that we don't normally eat and we didnt have to pay for a hotel or much gas money! Throw in a family game night and it is all good!!

16
7 12

A cruise, especially if you can drive to a port and not fly. Cruises are something you pay for up front. It includes the stateroom, all the food and drinks (except alcoholic of cokes) that you can drink, and a constant array of activities scheduled on-board, so no planning is involved. You pay extra for excursions,but sometimes you can just find your own fun. Book a inside cabin, because you are not going to spend that much time in the room. If you are, you are missing out! No flights, no rental car, no unexpected food fees. It is really the way to go!

8
0 4

I live in Branson, MO - and it's a very fun, affordable vacation option - especially if you can drive here easily. The area has two great theme parks, three lakes, walking/biking trails, great family-friendly shows, 13 golf courses, mini-golf, go-karts - the list goes on and on! There are lots of lodging options too. Come visit my hometown!

4
1 12

camping, go to the state parks and camp, there are some amazing state parks and although it seems the kids complain alot during the trip, they love ti and it gives them memories to last a lifetime. I took a cross country road trip to visit my sister in Seattle last year and we camped along the way and it was great!

4
1 12

my kids still tell people how we went across the country. But you do not need to go across the country to have a great time. If you have never been to the mountains , or the beach, you can go somewhere you have never been. Even when we went to the Badlands last year in July , it was not unbearably hot. You can go to the US state parks website and look up some amazing places to go. I want to take my family to Dry Tortugas state park in the FL Keys, it has snorkeling and the pics I have seen are amazing. We have been to Yellowstone, and some other state parks and they have so much to offer

7 3

Washington DC Is awesome! Majority of the activities are free especially the Smithsonium Museums which are amazing. Your kids will be learning at the same time and not even know it. The Metro is also an inexpensive way to get around the city as well. My family of 7 loves visiting DC!

2
10 32

staycation.. either under a shade tree with a good book or a day shared with friends under a cooling fan :)

2
0 19

I used to pick a weekly theme for each week of summer. One week was beach theme and we'd do beach crafts, and then go to a local beach. Another week was zoo week. We also had Chinatown week, L.A. Griffith Park week, Hollywood and the Chinese Theater week, all sorts of local lspots in L.A. to explore, first at home, then go visit.

1
1 18

I agree that cruises are the way to go! They have great kids activities and adult activities. You don't have to cook or clean and with the newest cruise ships, you could have a great time even if you never left the ship while in ports!

1
29 1

my familyand i drove to grapevily texas last summer and stayed in wolf lodge hotel oh my had 10 indoor water slides so much to do there. sixflags is close byy to

1
4 30

We take a week long camping trip every year. We camp at a State Park about an hour from our home. We try and get the same sight every year, because it is right across from the lake. The kids have a great time swimming and bike riding. This past year we invited friends to come camping with us. (They have children around our kids ages)
It cost our 6 person family $85 for the site plus food and ice for five day vacation.

0
0 6

We have 8 grandchildren in Missouri that we visited a month ago. We got a room by the pool complex where the kids could come and swim, play games and eat pizza. It was so hot this year that they were excited to be indoors. I also had a shirt camp. One of my granddaughters and I got shirts for all the kids to tie dye and paint. We played water games, ate hotdogs and watermelon and went to the lake in one really fun filled day.

0
1 0

Send out an email to all your contact list and suggest a house swap or house sitting gig with a family in another town. Pick a rough date, and all it'll cost is travel time. You'll be away from home and able to explore a new area. And since you are not in your own home, perhaps you'll find time to put your feet up instead of house and home projects.

0
0 0

Hoilday at Placid Waters holiday apartments Bribie Island Queensland Australia at a lovely reasonably priced resort with spacious 2 bedroom fully self contained units with all linen supplied. This location is just great for young families with a lot of activities that are a minimal cost and are easy access saving on transportation costs. Bribie Island is the only island connected to the mainland by a bridge in South East Queensland the only island

0
6 8

My answer would depend on your location and budget. I do all my thinking on dontoverpaytravel dot com and I use google maps.

0
5 19

We buy an Unlimited Parking Park Pass every year that allows us to more freedom visit our local spot on the American River for dinner picnics and kayaking, and enjoy all of the parks in the Sacramento area any day of the week.

0