What will happen if my child skips nap time?

With so many new, interesting things to do and see everyday it can sometimes be difficult to get children down for a nap. What if my child skips their nap time?

57 6

Aliens will land and blow up the Earth, just after the sky has finished raining down giant purple toads and umbrellas. Or maybe they'll just be a little tireder than usual, with all the side effects that come with it. Duh, wht a stupid question!!!

9
1 19

And that's a rude response.

21 5

My son is 2 and we play it by ear - if he's tired, he naps, if he's not, he doesn't (but then he goes to bed a little earlier at night).

4
49 16

Same for my daughter. if she doesn't nap she falls asleep earlier , but still sleeps all night, :)

6 10

If your child is out and about, having activities to occupy her and skips her nap once awhile, I think that is absolutely fine. Just put her to bed earlier than usual. Try not to make it a habit and she will learn that it is fine not to nap when it really isn't because children between 18mths to 3, should still sleep a total of approx 12hrs a day. 2hrs nap, 10hrs night sleep. Hope this help.

4
19 1

It is completely ok for a kid to not take a nap My son is 2 and takes like 1 nap a week. He sleeps 12-14 hrs at night. when they get their sleep doesnt matter.

4 12

If she misses one of her naps, my 2 year old daughter tends to get cranky, bratty, and has a tendency for a meltdown... I try not to skip or disturb naps as much as possible. It (life) does happen, and I just have to mentally prepare for the inevitable...

3
13 7

Try it and see, every child reacts differently. You may find your child copes well or they may have a meltdown later in the day. You can only know if you let it happen :) I have a 3 1/5 and a 2 year old and the older one sleeps in the day but did go through a phase of not wanting to, but I know if he doesn't he will be really crabby from about 5pm. My younger sleeps for about 2 hours in the afternoon and will still be down by 7 pm, if she misses her day sleep she is just so argumentative all afternoon. You'll find what works for you and your child :)

2
11 12

my son has a sleep most days and he is really grumpy by the afternoon if he doesnt get it. Your child will give u indications when they are ready to stop their naps so look out for the signs, eg. can be up all day and not get stropy or rubbing their eyes.

2
15 8

Routine. Kids crave it. Sleep. They need it. Adults do not get enough of it. Most people are sleep deprived.

Create a routine that you follow. Include quiet time if nap time is no longer needed. You want to instill a value for balance of activities in your children's lives. Follow the same routine yourself so you set a great example and get your needs taken care of, too.

1
42 12

My daughter quit napping at 2 1/2. I was terrified but at the same time kids have control over very few things. So this was one of the things I let her have control of. After all it is her body and she knows what she is feeling. But since she doesn't nap, I still require quiet time. Since she quit naps she sleeps about 10 hours a night. She is rarely cranky and always very energetic. I am not sure where her energy comes from since she is a poor eater as well. I just tell myself all kids are different and have different requirements. As long as she is healthy and growing I try not to stress about it too much or compare her to other kids. She is an individual and I will treat her as such. She is now 3 years old and I learned to cope with her not taking naps. After all, I think it is the mommys that need the kids to nap :)

1
142 28

no biggie, sometimes they are tired but there is too much going on for them to nap, or they can fight naptime, and its easier on the both of you not to force it. could mean they'll need a few more cuddles and attention as will get a bit cranky, but hey, its not doing them any harm, and you are lucky they nap at all LOL! Dont read too much into it, people say that its good for their brain development etc... and they MUST nap etc... but its not worth stressing about, my mum says my sister didnt nap for more than 35 mins at a time ever, and she has a PHD so there you go :)

1
13 33

Sometimes I need a nap! lol
If my daughter skips her nap time, she's fussy and throws more fits. Sometimes she fights me on it, but she eventually falls asleep and sleeps for a while for her nap.

1
0 0

my kid fight with me because he dont want to take rest. if he skip the afternoon sleep he looks very irritable whole day .tell me friends what should i do.

0
0 4

That was a really mean response
every mother has her diFferent concerns

0
0 11

I have a 2 1/2 yr who is in daycare 2-3 days a week and never gets a nap over there. But when I'm at home I keep her on a schedule she usually sleeps 3-4 hrs. She goes down no problems and she wakes up happy and she goes to bed no problem but when she doesn't get one man you better watch out, cranky bratty, screaming and it takes forever to get her to go to bed at night. Every once in awhile we will skip the nap if we are having fun though.

0
235 30

Do they not have naptime at your daycare? Sometimes it's hard for kids to sleep anywhere, but home unless they are extremely tired.

8 12

When my daughter skips her nap its awful. By 5pm she has completely melted down and is in tantrum mode. She will literally run around spewing things out of her mouth of things she wants to do, like she doesn't know what to do with herself. I try very hard to keep her on a nap schedule but sometimes it just doesn't work out but trust me I pay for it!

0
10 0

my daughter was the very same way

6 26

During the week it is a must... but on the weekends when it is family time. we usually skip them. because they are right in the middle of the day, with summer here, there is just too much to do!!!!!:)

0
235 30

Well if your kids are like mine their "nap time" is in the car on the way too and from places on those busy days.

8 7

my daughter stopped taking her nap at home a while ago (she is now 3 1/4). I don't think she needs a lot of sleep. She does, however, sleep, when she's at pre-school, and it makes putting her down at night a more arduous task. I think it depends on if the child crashes at some point before bedtime. If so, a short nap or "rest" in their room may help. My daughter won't rest either!

0
235 30

Well for my kids one of a few things happen. One they get very cranky in the late afternoon/early evening. Sometimes they go to bed early, but then they wake up at 3 a.m. ready to go:(

0
72 29

I think once a child reaches a certain age (and that's different for every child) they simply don't need a nap anymore. My son unfortunately doesn't need much sleep, went down to one nap a day at 8 months old and cut out naps completely not long after turning 2. I did try to get him to keep napping, tried very hard! But when he did, he was up until 10pm at night. When he doesn't, he goes to sleep nicely at 7:30-8pm, which I much prefer.He just didn't need that extra sleep anymore. He still naps occasionally if he wakes up extra early or falls asleep in the car, and I let him, but again it means a later bedtime. I know it's nice to have your child nap and get a break, but if they don't actually need the sleep, I wouldn't force it. As long as they are getting enough sleep at night and having a bit of quiet time during the day I think it's fine.

0
11 9

I am all for naps...it gives me some down time. My little one is normally asleep by 1:00 and will nap until 2:30 or 3:00. However, with me being off during the summer we have a lot things to do. If we stay out later than normal one night she will sleep in the next morning and doesn't need a nap. If we are shopping or out during the day we usually don't get back until after 1:00 and she doesn't go to sleep in the car much anymore. She does get a little moody at night so we just make sure we are ready for bed about an hour earlier. I know kids need their sleep but a little change in their schedule is not going to hurt them. My little girl is very smart (not bragging just saying) even when she is a little tired. She will be back on a good schedule when I go back to work in August. Let them have some fun during the summer!

0
29 0

If my children skip their naps they get very crabby, and end up going to bed early.

0
91 0

We have experienced this a couple times lately - she just gets cranky earlier, especially about Dinner time (6-6:30) and when trying to sit in a restaurant its a pain, if we are at home, no big deal. Normally she is in bed about 7:30 or 8 shortly after dinner. Just make sure we have plenty of yummy snacks that keep her interest and her "security" blanket for the car ride home.

0
5 36

As long as they are getting enough sleep for their age it does not matter. I have a 15 month old and he usually takes 2 naps a day but sometimes he only takes 1 nap if we are busy with plans outside of our normal routine. I let him sleep when he is tired and stay awake when he is not. I am not a mom that has a strict schedule and it works for hubby and my schedule as well so we are not the type of parents that make him go to bed at 7:00 or 8:00 at night since I am a stay home mom and hubby goes to the office at 10:00 AM so our little one sleeps til around 10:00 AM and it is a great schedule for us right now. I am going to hate when it changes but sooner or later it will once he goes to Pre-school! Good luck and do not worry they will guide you to whatever they need:)

0
7 5

it depends on how old your children are and what time there bed time is also it depends on how well they can handle lack of sleep if they are cranky without there naps then I would suggest to give them the naps or at least some quiet time thats what I do with mine if he misses his nap just try and get him to calm down for a while and just relax.I would say that works preety well.and also don't give them any alot of sugars or do hyper things right before nap time.

0
34 6

he/she will be really tired at the end of the day. duh. lol

0
126 10

Depends on the kid, but it can't be good for them to get less than their needed sleep. Sleep does all sorts of healthy things for them, and not getting enough sleep does all sorts of poor things to them. That's before one starts to take into account behavioral issues when they see that they can get away with getting what they want as well as a lack of routine setting them up for poor sleeping habits in general.

If my daughter skips her nap, it's not really noticeable at first, but she'll be come more extreme in her behaviors as she gets more tired. Usually, we just don't tolerate it and tell her to sleep or we'll take away whatever her current fixation is to prevent that. We've never had her go more than a day in a row without a nap, and really never more than once a week or so, if even.

0
2 1

my girl is two and she just gets a little hyper.

0
7 29

My son is 19 months, and occasionally he'll sleep in in the morning. If he does that, he doesn't go down for his nap at the same time (usually 11:45, naps til 1:30). If I let him sleep past 1:30pm he's a nightmare to get to sleep in the evening. So on a late-waking day, if he won't sleep at the usual time and isn't asleep by 12:30, we give the daytime nap a miss and go straight to bedtime at 7pm. Other than that, he naps easily every day and I'll keep him doing this as long as he needs it. :)

0
10 22

My daughter is down to one nap a day. If she skips her nap, she is very grumpy and throws more fits over nothing. She takes a nap each day, and is okay with it. I think she knows she needs it.

0
6 2

How old is your child??

0