What are helpful remedies for child constipation?

Children's bodies can't handle quite the intensity of adult remedies available, so what are some good remedies for persistent children's constipation?

1 0

It is so disturbing to me how many doctors put kids on Miralax....and not just for a couple of weeks....for YEARS!! There are so many reasons for constipation, and I highly recommend going the dietary route before reaching for a prescription:
One common reason is not enough fruit/veggies/fiber rich foods.
There could also be a mineral imbalance. Kids who take calcium supplements without magnesium will probably have constipation.
Some kids do not drink enough water.
Kids with constipation could have a food allergy or sensitivity (esp. if it alternates with loose stools)
Taking probiotics is very helpful for all kids - to boost immunity, but it also is very useful in digestive disorders like constipation. Gradually increase water, fiber and fruit & veggie consumption. I really like smoothies - add in 1-2 T of chia seed, some coconut kefir, some spinach, blueberries. Make sure there is a balance of minerals in diet/supplements. Limit sugar, and processed foods.

1
1

Besides lack of fluid intake, lack of exercise can be a cause.
For medication: inspite of what you may have heard, it's safer to use mini-enemas (like Fleet Pedialax one) or suppositories than oral medicines which have to pass right through the digestive system

0
96 0

I dont know how this happened - that was MY answer

4 24

Lots of fresh fruits and veggies.
A crushed peppermint candy dissolved in warm water.

0