What inspired you to start blogging?

4 0

The moment my then-3-year-old, sporting a bike helmet, asked “Why you no have a bike?” and I realized I couldn’t very well tell the truth, which is that Mommy is too chicken to ride a bike! How can I expect my special needs kids to try new things, don’t give up, don’t worry about what people think, if I’m not willing to myself? After a lifetime of living nowhere near the edge it was time to start facing my fears. I created FACING FORTY UPSIDE DOWN, publicly declaring my intention to learn how to ride a bike, do a handstand, and dive into a swimming pool before I turned 40. I still can’t believe what happened next. So many old, new and cyber-friends joined in adventures from boogie boarding to rafting to learning how to clean our rooms. We’ve gone from “Mommy Doesn’t Do That” to “Mama’s Got Game!” and we’re not going back!

0
4 0

0
0 0

I have always had stories, characters in my mind and a constant narrative streaming as I navigated my crazy life. In July 2008, with a 1-year-old daughter, 3-year old son, and a new life in the 'burbs, I briefly tried my hand at blogging. Time laughed in my face, and I forgot to log back in for 2 years.

In March 2009 I had a dream that brought into motion the person I am supposed to be. It was a simple, short dream, and when I awoke I knew everything about the two girls who starred in it. I knew their names, their stories, where they were and where they were going. So I started writing My Book in secret. This was huge for me. Writing this made me feel more like Kim than anything else ever had. Then in a span from November 2009-March 2010 my life took some big twists and turns, including the death of my father, who had been on life support, and the shocking diagnosis of cancer for my mom.

In May 2010, over a glass of wine while our kids played in the other room, a good friend insisted I start blogging about what I'm going through. Share my stories, work through the rough, scary bits and laugh about the crazy exploits of my insane offspring. She believed I had a voice people would want to hear, and figured it wouldn't hurt to get all this crap off my chest so when I sat down to work on my book, I had a clear head. She was so right. I feel that blogging helps me process the hard times, connect when I'm feeling afloat, and get cyber pats on the back when other people actually find me as funny as my friend does. So I keep going.

0
1 0

Funny thing. Although I am still a somewhat new blogger, having started in Sept, my blogging style completely changed around the beginning of the year. I wasn't really inspired, but rather pushed into blogging by a chatty group of on-line friends at Squidoo as a promotion tool. Sadly the adjectives to describe my blog at that point would be boring, uninteresting and shameless self promotion. So, those posts are gone. Poof. They simply don't exist in cyber space any longer.

Now my inspiration comes from you. Well, not specifically You, but readers. People actually think I am funny, and I love that. I was funny as a child. I was funny as a teen, I was even funny until I hit my early 40s. Then I moved half way around the world, to a country with a different style of humor. One where they don't do sarcasm. I do sarcasm. I grew up with it, and it just flows out sometimes. Now, I get told off. Blogging is different, I can be me. My friends who don't do sarcasm don't follow, that's ok. My new friends with my twisted sense of humor do. Thank you.

0
0 0

I started Flourish in Progress because I turned 30 in September 2010 and wanted to do something big to celebrate such a milestone birthday. I decided that my biggest distraction was the enormous amount of time I spent shopping. So, I gave up shopping for a year. I spent 7 years as a single mom before marrying my husband (we got married after dating for only 18 days). After I married Harv, I started shopping because I thought it would drastically increase my happiness. I realized my happiness came from my family and other aspects of my life, not the material gain, so I gave it up for a year to see what could happen to my life.

Flourish in Progress chronicles my year outside the mall. I'm seven months in.

0
0 0

We just can't seem to stop moving around the country. That makes it hard to keep far-flung family and friends up-to-date on our happenings. So, about 5 years ago, I started blogging for personal reasons: share pictures, relate anecdotes, beg for babysitters to fly out to save us. From the start I enjoyed the writing more than the picture posting. It was a gateway drug to Ninja Mom.

0
0 0

Once you have kids, every day is such a crazy, out-of-control adventure. Anything can happen! All of a sudden I had so much to say. Motherhood is pure mayhem! The silver lining? It's never boring, and it always makes a great story. And I love relating to other moms out there...we are all in this together!

0
0 0

Where else would I get the opportunity to blend my experiences as a new mother, my knowledge of pop culture, and my love of irreverence with photos of my baby girl? Everything I do in life has always taken on some sort of creative slant. I guess parenting is no exception.

0
4 0

0
0 0

My son. I think he's hilarious. But even before he was saying funny things, my pregnancy and first year of motherhood were so different than expected, in mostly unpleasant ways, that I thought it was funny. I liked telling stories of these unpleasantries with a funny slant and my friends convinced me to start writing. Once I started, my writing just seemed to be a natural fit for a blog format.

0
0 0

I actually began blogging about 7 months ago on a dare. I was quite the avid Facebook user and I had been receiving a lot of feedback about my status updates. Friends were saying things like, "I check Facebook every day just to see what YOU are going to say!" or "You really should start a blog!". My response was, "Sure! I'll TOTALLY start a blog" followed immediately by "what's a blog?" Long story short, with the encouragement of friends, I gave it a shot and Lola was born.

0
2 2

A friend had a women's networking site and asked me to take a stab at blogging for the site based on my constant "situations" I encountered as a new Mom. She had read my ranting emails and listened to me talk to hours so I feel like she really was looking for a way to diffuse all of my thoughts from coming straight to her. I found it to be a wonderful release, loved connecting with other Moms and having something for me.

0
0 0

I have all these crazy ideas that go through my head and it used to be that I would post them as my Facebook status updates. Then one day I discovered Allie Brosh and Hyperbole and a Half and I thought "I could do that. Well, not the drawing part, but I can make a blog and put my crazy ideas on it. Let's give it a try!" My first post was called "I have no idea what I'm doing." 11 months later and I still have no idea ;)

0
0 0

A new baby, a lapsed writing career and a lot of sarcastic thoughts about parenting that needed an outlet inspired me to start a blog. Plus, it was free.

0
0 1

Moms who drink and swear™ is about reality. There are days when I see some mom all clean and in grown up person clothes in the grocery store and I just want to ask her how the hell she pulls it off. I'm usually in my pajamas dragging my whining kids along, yelling , "I SAID NO ! "over and over. I have survived motherhood for the past ten years by leaning on the real moms who convinced me that having a kid (or two) was a good idea. You were right but only because I had help and LOTS OF IT.

This is not a site for the humorless or serious type mom.

0
0 0

I had been taking these crazy nap pictures of my oldest son for over a year and they'd become really popular on Facebook. It got to the point where more and more people were asking if they could share the Facebook album with their friends, and I started considering if it wouldn't be easier to just set up a blog. One day, at the urging of another blogger friend, I just did it. I quickly found that writing up the descriptions of the pictures was even more fun than just posting them on Facebook, and I added the guest napper feature. The blog was born! Now I have people tell me the naps are as much a bright spot in their day as I find them to be in mine. Everyone needs a good laugh.

0
0 0

I’ve been a comedy screenwriter and TV writer in Hollywood for over a decade and weird my whole life. Then my world got turned upside down. (But I stayed weird.)

A little over 2 years ago my three year old little boy Bexon was diagnosed with a rare, potentially fatal condition called Progressive Infantile Scoliosis at 19 months of age and a Mom Blog of a mutual friend (Breezy Mama) featured Bexon’s Story.

Bex’s story become one of their most popular posts that year and I began to read other Mom Blogs around the "webiverse," finding out how funny and well written a lot of them were.
I began to laugh and cry as I read knew it was meant to be for me to start a website and blog about Bexon’s ongoing journey and include a lot of laughter and silliness along the way. We all need more silly!
My blog is 80-90 percent humor, but it’s also helping to spread awareness to save more babies and kids like my little Buckeroo Bex.

0
0 0

You won’t hear me say this very often but my mom was the inspiration for 'Bedtimes are for Suckers'. She spent about 4 years writing for a website called momlogic.com and thought it was her prerogative to post anything about my life no matter how personal or embarrassing. Payback is a bitch.

0
0 0

Sh*tMyKidsRuined.com was born in March 2010, the day after my 2 year-old son spilled a quart of black paint on our dining room rug. At first I was upset, but when I started to think about all of the items and aspects of my life/body my two boys had 'ruined' over just a few short years, I began to see great humor in it all. Blogging about this helps me appreciate the more frustrating aspects of parenthood and it keeps me mindful that laughter is dang therapeutic!

0
0 1

I'm a professional writer so blogging presented a natural opportunity to spew about the things I want, instead of what I write to earn some cake.

0
0 0

Having worked for years as comedy writer for TV and Film, I thought that, during my time home with the kids, it would be fun to have a place to express my thoughts on motherhood. Also, someone told me that everyone who starts a blog gets a free cake. But that turned out to be a lie.

0
0 0

I birthed three daughters in four years. The sound of my own voice while constantly talking to myself, due to lack of adult interaction, began to slowly drive me crazy. I began blogging so my husband wouldn't have to pay for therapy.

0
0 0

I began blogging as a way to channel my frustration and funny after becoming a full-time, up-to-my-eyeballs mom. I found that bizarre and overwhelming things were happening every few hours, whether it be an explosive diaper disaster or a fashionable, albeit feral neighbor waking up my napping child with a raging Range Rover. I knew I needed to document my slow decline into parental insanity so someone could bear witness to my life of cringe-worthy chaos and spiraling spit takes.

0
0 0

I started blogging about 93 years ago (OK, it just feels that way, it was actually six years ago) because all the cool kids were doing it. A few months after I started my blog, I got knocked up and was strapped to a bed for four months during a high-risk pregnancy. My blog became an outlet for the craziness of my pregnancy and morphed into a typical Mommy Blog after I had my kids. Well, that is, if you consider live-blogging your husband’s vasectomy “typical.”

0
1 0

In what now feel like a lifetime ago, I worked as a corporate trainer and often used my platform to recant stories and share funny mommy moments with my corporate classes. When I made the decision to stay home full time, I missed the adult interaction, and I felt like just one more episode of Wonder Pets away from my brain turning to mush. Blogging was my way of retaining an audience for some of the funnier situations life seems to consistently throw my way, connecting to other people going through the same "domestic challenges," and as a means of getting a little attention for myself (all bloggers are narcissists whether they admit it or not).

0
0 0

Eh, I had way too much time on my hands since I only had six kids to take care of, so I decided to start blogging.

0