What inspired you to start blogging?

2 0

My wife inspired me to start blogging. She's an incredible writer and she was The Urban Mummy. After she sold her URL and stopped blogging there, we had a bet as to how much longer I would last. I won!

0
1 0

The short answer is the birth of my son; the longer answer is the onslaught of poorly designed baby crap I came across while preparing for his arrival. I needed a forum to rant and rave about all of it! But Designer Daddy has evolved into many things: product reviews, photo album, crafting ideas, portfolio of my child-related work, and a great networking tool to meet and showcase fellow designer dads.

0
0 0

I wanted a website for my Hot Dog Truck, so I started a blogger blog. I have been at it 5 years now and expanded my empire to over 20 sites.

0
0 0

I never really knew what a blog was until I heard stories last fall about a friend of my wife who is a successful mom/fashion blogger. After meeting and talking with Audrey McLellan, writer of Mom Generations, at a Christmas party, I got hooked on the idea. It was all history from there. I have always had a love of reading and writing. The blog was the perfect place for me to express myself in a very easy and personal format. I thought my life was interesting enough to give it a shot and I have enjoyed it ever since.

0
0 0

I started Daddy Mojo because I've written for a publication in some manner since graduating from college. While working in radio I wrote music reviews or artist interviews for a couple newspapers. While I lived in Japan I wrote about culture shock, entertainment reviews and tourism tips for Fukuoka, the city where I was living.

After the birth of our first son it was only natural for me to write a blog about being a dad and a parent.

0
0 0

After I quit my job to stay at home full time with the kids two things became clear: one, I needed to do something to stay creative. Spending 14 years as a television news photographer gave me the opportunity to create a story everyday. I really considered what I did a true art form, and without the blog I was missing something in my life. Second, I needed a place to share my stories about the kids. Whether it's venting or just repeating something that they do, I had to get this stuff written down. Not everyone gets to see these seemingly harmless children behind closed doors.

0
0 0

I’ve always loved writing, and I’ve loved the Internet ever since I started up an AOL trial disc back in the day of 14.4 kilobits/s (or was it even less?) dial-up. When my first son was born, I wanted to talk about what it was like being a parent, and blogging stuck out to me as the perfect platform for it.

I have this continuous need to make a joke, so my wife and I settled that the premise of the blog should be a funny, kind of self-deprecating look at how having a child changed our lives. We figured that it would be quite ridiculous, but also honest, to ponder how cool we were now that we were parents.

So, I cranked up a Blogspot account and started writing Are We Still Cool?

0
0 0

When we had our little guy, we initially started the blog to keep distant family and friends updated. We liked the idea of a blog because people could check it out on their own time rather than bombarding them with lengthy or large (photo attachments can be huge!) emails. It was incredibly supportive too when I went back to work (2 weeks after he was born) when my wife posted little updates during the day.

When I went on parental leave, the blog took off a bit. He was a bit older (7 months) and had pretty much settled into a routine. I found that despite lots of fun and games playing with the wee man, my brain was missing more intellectual challenges. Writing on the blog quickly filled this void. It also provided an outlet to vent, laugh, cry whether or not anybody read it. What surprised me was that people did, and not just family and friends. I actually discovered quite a community of other parenting bloggers and specifically SAHDs (Stay At Home Dads).

0
0 0

Short answer: My daughter.

Long answer: My manternity leave. That's not a typo. I say manternity because paternity never sounded right. Paternity conjures up images of baby daddies taking tests on Jerry Springer. Manternity was well, me being a stay-at-home dad and raising my little girl. It was a wonderful experience. It was worth all the Mr. Mom jokes and worth blogging about.

0
0 0

What inspires me to blog…Well, I love my kids, I love to cook, I don’t always love to cook for my kids, but I enjoy eating together. Mix six or seven sets of taste buds together with four child sized culinary critics, circus antics, the occasional hidden veggie, and a glass of wine, and you have the perfect ingredients for a blog. Not to mention that people who eat at a peaceful dinner table would be missing out on all this joy if I didn’t share.

0
0 0

It came to me in a dream. A woman’s voice whispered to me: “Why don’t you do something useful while you’re looking for work? And could you pop in to CVS tomorrow and buy one of those baby snot suckers? Thanks love.”

0
0 0

I really started this as a way to tell all my friends and family that we were pregnant. Then I thought it would be a great way to exercise any demons and release some creativity. I never thought that I would still be doing it, nor ever thought I would meet this many cool people.

0
0 0

I love to write. I love history. I love my athletic kids. I love sports. And I have a terrible memory. Stats_Dad is a written history of the forgettable and unforgettable moments of my kid's youth sports careers. I also love to help people, so each authentic and honest post has a main point crafted to help other parents who face situations and challenges similar to the ones I've dealt with in youth sports.

0
0 0

I started blogging as a creative outlet for me during rare downtime while staying at home taking care of Max. I have put a lot of work into creating my family and raising a newborn, and I feel that I have learned a lot along this journey that others might find valuable . . . or at least entertaining!

0
0 0

To document stories of the kids, specifically for my mother who lived in Tennessee at the time and commented on never knowing what we were doing.

0
0 0

My daughter. Before she was born, I was in a little bit of denial about the whole becoming a dad thing. Let’s be honest: I was terrified. That’s when I started to blog. It was a creative way to express my feelings and share them with family and friends. I never thought it would grow as big as it has. But, yes...my daughter is my inspiration. And my wife is my muse.

0
0 0

My wife Audrey McClelland of Mom Generations along with my four boys are my inspiration. I've been watching her grow her business and share her advice on fashion and parenting and thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

0
0 0

When my son was born I started looking online to see what was out there for stay-at-home dads. My wife has been reading "Mommy blogs" for a while now and I wanted to know if there were any dads out there doing the same thing.

Needless to say I didn't find much. So I decided, why not me? My kid's ridiculously cute, we do interesting stuff, I can write above a 5th grade level, why not try it?

0
0 0

We all found out we were going to be dads and realized that there really isn't anything useful material out there for dads. The books available at the time were either making fun of the whole situation without providing any real information or they were written entirely for mums. Either way nothing spoke to us — so we decided to do something about it and created DIYFather.

0
0 0

Pete: We’ve always been the type to help out our family, friends and sometimes complete strangers with just about anything. Over the years, we’ve shared our hacks, stories and solutions with each other — ranging from DIY home projects, autos, electronics, and after starting families…kids. You know, dad “stuff.”

Marty: We’d always be laughing at each other, and I’d often tell my coworkers or family about something Pete or I did and get a good laugh.

Pete: Since we’re in advertising, we do quite bit of research about clients, products, the marketplace…we are learning all kinds of stuff, all the time. We call it the “Pond of Knowledge.”

Marty: Yeah, it’s really broad, but not that deep. We know a little about a lot of things. Which can be dangerous. So, Pete calls me one day and said we should start a dad blogshare “the pond.”

0
0 0

I love my life. I wanted to always remember why I love my life. Blogging seemed to be a great way to keep a man-diary of everything going on in my life…without having to call it a "man-diary." To be honest, I fully expected my third blog entry to be titled "Forget it. I'm tired of blogging. Just follow me on Twitter." Much to my surprise, my blog continues. It has been a wonderful diversion from my day-to-day grind.

0
0 0

After almost ten years as an executive for Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions and Chelsea Handler's Borderline Amazing Productions, I found myself without a contract and a job in the midst of a giant recession. I became a full-time stay-at-home dad and started Dad Or Alive as my creative outlet. If I've learned anything, aside from the fact that no one at the unemployment office answers the phone during business hours, it's that being a parent is the most important job there is. Sure it has its ups and downs, and I'm here to share mine with you. Hopefully I can grab a laugh or two along the way.

0
0 0

I started blogging because my child was 97% percentile in growth so we were constantly growing out of clothes and baby strollers/highchairs/bouncers before any of our friends. So I was repeating myself a lot to the 6 or 7 people that were asking us about what we got and why... I figured blogging it would streamline the process down to one simple (product review) post, I never had a clue it would become this big.

0
0 0

I had always dreamed of being a dad, ever since I was very young. As I got older, and my wife and I tried to have children, I took the lion's share of doing the research. I subscribed to all the parenting magazines, read all the books, even subscribed to the parenting websites. What I found was that all these resources were geared towards the moms. Even after the kids came, everything seemed to be centered around 'mom' and very little about us dads. I’m a very vocal person and never had a problem letting people know my frustration with this lack of validation for us dads. I later found I had a hidden passion for writing and many friends and family suggested I start a parenting blog. A blog focused on being a parent from a dad's perspective. I’ve always felt that dads were the other half of the parenting equation and a blog was a great vehicle in which I could share my thoughts and experiences. Little did I know I wasn’t alone as there are many other great Dad Blogs out here as well.

0