What kind of cup should I use for a 6 year old's lunch?

What are the best kinds of cups to use for a 6 year old?

0 19

I like the stainless thermos with the built in straw. Stays cold all day.

22
0 31

we use them for school too

2 0

At 6 my daughter is using the same cups as everyone else!

21
8 5

This is rediculus! It was a simple question, parenting abilities should not be brought into this at all. With all the different cup options sippy, water or regular drinking glass who wouldn't want some tried and true options! And people wonder about where childhood bullying stems from. Just because it's your opinion does not make it the only option nor is it the best option for everyone. People need to be more open and tolerable of others and above all more respectful.

5
13 30

My daughter uses whatever she wants at home. We home school so I don't have to worry about what she takes to school. In the car something less likely to spill. I use a reusable water bottle, she usually uses something similar. Every child is different and the parent should know them well enough to know what they need. If not or if you have a child with special needs ask your pediatrician.

5
0 1

I send whatever is clean that us adults would use: a water bottle/thermos for water, an occasional juice box, if she wants milk she is able to buy it at school. She is able to open her own water bottles and thermos, and put a straw in her box of milk of juice too. At home, only regular cups.
I am a special education professional. I also have a 6 year old and a 1 year old.
Even an autistic child of 6 should, and IS, capable of using a regular cup or drink bottle - it may take lots of practice, both at home and in school, but even the most profoundly autistic student is capable of mastering this skill. At the age of 6, even a child with special needs that is incapable of holding a regular cup or utensil due to neurological damage or impairment, musculo-skeletal development, ATTEMPTING to use a regular cup is almost always on the occupational therapy and/or IEP schedule of goals (even if these attempts are always hand over hand or facilitated completely by therapist or teacher).

4
0 0

It makes sense that you are able to give a professional take on kids with special needs because you work with them all the time and have experience, but I would also think that by the same token, you should realize that generalizing and saying that "all these kids should e able to do this" isn't helpful. Maybe they won't. Maybe they work with them tirelessy and they still can't. But don't go around acting as though you know that each and every kid should be at this level when you, more than anyone, should know you can't force someone to do something they won't do. I am sure these parents do not need one more person judging what they are doing and where their kid is at developmentally.

12 24

We bought a set of these www.reflo.net and love them - they are a "regular" cup but they also cut down on spills with our 5 & 6 year olds. Check them out. If you live in the Cleveland, OH are they are available at Discount Drug Mart. Ellie (http://www.schoolbusdays.blogspot.com)

4
1 1

these are lovely! thanks for sharing!

7 35

I freeze Capri Sun juice pouches and put one in my son's lunchbox. By the time lunch rolls around, it's thawed out, still cold, and has kept the perishables in his lunch fresh & cold! No need to put in a blue block (one of those frozen blue things). He loves the juice, he's getting FRUIT juice, and no mess! He can just throw everything away when he's done!
At home, he uses the same cups as everyone else, UNLESS we're in the car. Then, he uses a cup with a lid & straw. Saves big spills!

3
0 9

Freezing the Capri Sun is an awesome idea! I never even thought about it because my kids always drink them warm from the pantry. I will keep that in mind though if I have something to keep cool for lunch.

0 7

My daughter uses the same cups as everyone else.

3
4 5

The same as everyone else.

3
4 0

The question was a cup for a six year old 's lunch. Why are so many people writing nasty comments about how a six year old should be drinking from a regular cup? Would you send a regular cup with no lid in a lunchbox in a backpack? I don't think some of you read the question correctly. I
think the stainless steel kind with a straw are the least likely to leak and it keeps the drink cold until lunchtime.

1
6 9

Circle of moms is filled with unhelpful moms...

1
6 21

My daughter is 5 and a half now but ive been giving her milo and tea even juice in a normal tea cup or small mug ( porcelain) i honestly dont remembr the last time she has dropped it.

1
114 1

I see several things here....First, the question doesn't specify special needs, so we'll go with a child within the 'normal' spectrum. Teach your child to screw the lid back on snuggly. I'm an old mom, now the grandma of five, but was once a new young mother too. I never used sippy cups with either of my kids, they went from breast to bottle to cup without incident. Sometimes we used a straw, sometimes there were spills....childhood is a learning curve and should be treated as such. They were never allowed food in their rooms; we ate at the table as a family. If they needed a drink they came in the kitchen and got one (or asked if they were too young to get it themselves). I made sure they stayed hydrated. My kids use sippy cups with their kids for the PARENTS convenience, not the kids. But the kids don't have to be careful with a sippy so there goes your learning curve.

My bottom line is that kids have grown into adults for many centuries without all the mountains of 'stuff' available to today's parents. Probably 75% of it is stuff to make money for someone else and just isn't necessary. Teach your kids what they need to know to get on in the world.

1
4 0

The question is what kind of cup should she send for lunch. Pretty sure your children didn't use a regular cup filled with water and no lid for lunch at school, especially if you packed it. Maybe you packed a thermos? I think that is what the question is asking.

0 13

Are you worried about spilling? This is the third year that my daughter has had to bring her lunch. We have had an issue with spillage with every cup: thermos, bottled water, sports bottles etc. She doesn't spill it when drinking- but her drinks spill in her lunch box. Then the drink mixes with the left over food that she didn't eat and there is a soggy mess. I guess capri suns and the occaisonal juice box are the only things that haven't contributed to mess. I've been having my daugher buy her drink, but I noticed that she's eating less. Next week I am going to go back to capri suns- it seems to be the simplest.

1
1 7

I've found anything with a straw is extremely helpful. We live in Arizona and it's so important to stay hydrated. Sure, both my girls (3yo and 5yo) CAN drink from a regular cup, however, I've found it's much easier to get them to drink enough fluids in the hot weather by just putting a straw in whatever vessel I fill. Sometimes it's a Munchkin cup with a straw insert and other times it's a BubbaKeg (love those things!!) with a straw in the top opening, when we're inside, they use little plastic cups - with straws. For school, they have two drinks, a Munchkin straw cup for lunch and a stainless steel thermos for the classroom/playground - of course, with a straw! :)

Regarding the not so nice answers, remember Thumper - we all know who he is and what he says. Being unkind only serves to hurt others, which must be something the less than cordial don't realize because I can't imagine anyone wanting to come to a parenting forum and hurt a fellow mom - or dad, for that matter!

1
10 196

My 6 year old daughter uses a sippy cup or a special bottle as she is special needs

1
8 113

My almost 7yr old uses a sippy cup! She is special needs and spills everything!

1
8 113

She doesn't take lunch, she gets free lunch so she drinks milk at school. :)

0 10

A normal glass for at home and a normal water bottle for school

1
190 21

For school a plastic water bottle and at home glasses like everyone else.

1
0 13

The same as everyone else!!

1
19 27

I use water bottles. I put juice or KoolAid in them and freeze them the night before so they stay cold and help keep lunch cold. My 7 yr old can open them and they don't spill in the lunch bag. I tried to send a cup with a lid last year and she was mortified that I sent her a "baby cup". LOL So, we reuse the water bottles. I wash them out at night and use them over and over again.

0
19 27

At home, my kids just use regular cups. My 3 yr old uses sippy cups still about half of the time, but everyone else (5, 7 & 9) just drink out of glasses or cups...whatever is handy.

24 10

Depends on the situation. For us, we had to transition the kids to regular cups as soon as we could since the dogs quickly discovered that sippy cups taste good. Putting them on the counter didn't help since our dogs are both over 100 lbs and can reach anywhere on the counters if you aren't looking. We transitioned to the small plastic cups but found that they were very easy to spill. If the kids bumped them or didn't pay attention when setting them down, they would spill.

Our 4 kids range from 1 - 7 so that can be challenging as well, since the younger ones LOVE to grab the older kids cups and would spill them. We found that wider based cups, such as plastic coffee cups w/ handles or non tapered tumblers worked best for us. We also have a designated place where the kids can drink them and put them when they are done. This keeps them from walking around and spilling them on floors, furniture, etc, and ensures that the younger ones can't reach them to grab.

0
47 22

Any small bottle with the top that goes up to open and down to close. I have noticed cups with straws get dirty and can't be cleaned.

0
53 21

My 5yo son uses a Thermos cup that has a silicone straw and flip lid. At home he drinks from a small plastic cup at the table, either with a handle or not. I don't put alot of liquid- abt 6 oz. He is practically incapable of sitting still and still spills by knocking his cup over from time to time. If he makes his own chocolate milk he uses a plastic cup with plastic lid and straw to drink it in our living room. I understand that most children can use a cup and it seems lazy but I also have a 3 year old and 1 year old who grab everything and knock everything so that would just be stressful, I'd rather be less stressed.

0
3 61

My daughter is 5. She takes a water bottle to school in her lunch box. At home she uses a regular plastic tumbler.

0
108 17

My son is 5 and my daughter is 2, they both use jelly sized mason jars. My daughter rarely spills and my son never does. They also have little enamel cups with handles they use, too, especially for hot tea. When we go out, they each have Klean Kanteens. My son uses the regular loop cap that he takes off and drinks from the bottle, my daughter has the sippy spout.

0
0 3

We purchased a set of 12 ounce plastic cups from Tupperware, my 6 year old uses it as a regular cup during meal time, but for in the car, or outside the kitchen, there is a tight fitting lid that you can put a straw through. Around the straw opoening is a rubber gasket that slows down spilling if the cup is accidently dropped.

0
0 0

I have a 6 yr old that is in 1st grade and any water bottle, sippy cup, thermous, ect works for him at school. At home he uses a regular cup just like the adults. I completely understand that if you child has special needs than there are different methods that may wrk for that child. Every child is different so there is no reason to get upset or mean about the way people are say things on here. REMEMBER EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, EVEN YOU AND I.

0
0 0

I have a 5 year old and a 7 year old, and they're both perfectly capable of using a regular cup. However, I value my furniture and carpet, and if they're going to leave the tile floor, then it has to be a spillproof cup. At home, that means the Playtex "Coolster" insulated cups that look like a grown up travel coffee cup http://www.playtexbaby.com/CupsMealtime/Coolster-Tumbler-Cup.aspx , and at school, a water bottle with a straw from Target. http://www.target.com/p/Embark-Eastman-Tritan-Water-Bottle-True-Blue-400ml/-/A-11911560

0
0 15

I have a 5yr plenty I send a water bottle or juice box n they work great for her but if ur child has special needs maybe talk to your doc about. Wats the best 4 ur child if not anything with a straw n lid definitely helps to prevent spills.

0
0 2

Such a great forum :). Water bottles that are fillable. We live in Arizona....water is a must....bottles fit nicely in back pack and teachers like them to all have them for class.

0
20 3

I put juice into a reusable juice box made by rubbermaid. This way I don't need to worry about spills. I give all my kids (5 -11) a juice box for their lunch at school.

0
0 20

I don't know why a 6 year old has to have any special cup. My 5 year old is fine with whatever cup I give him.

-5
0 31

at 6 a normal one surely my son is :-) x

-5
7 4

Why is this even a question??? By six years old one would hope a normal cup. And if this is referring to taking it to school...a water bottle.

-27
1

Please understand that all kids are not on the same level just because they're the same age. This is a harsh response. This may be a first time parent whose child may not be meeting the appropriate milestones... This is supposed to be a helpful forum...

Delete
0 14

What a ridiculous question! Who would ask this?!!! If someone can't figure this out for themselves, they really shouldn't be a parent!

-39
3 6

That's a little harsh don't you think?