What was it like when your kids started school full-time?

It can be a big transition from having your little ones in the house all day, to being in school full-time. What was it like for your kids starting full-time school and what made the transition easier?

0 4

Well, during the summer before my girls ( 4 and 5 at the time) started pre-k and kindergarten, I told them what to expect, how many friends they would make, I even printed off some worksheets and my husband and I "played school" with them just so they could get a full sence of what was going to happen. The first day was easy for my older one; she gave me a hug and ran off but my younger one was a little nervous once she realized just how many kids there were and I guess she didn't think I would not be with her the whole day, so she startd to cry, but after about 30 minutes and lots of hugs and encouragement she calmed down. I even walked around with her and introduced her to some of her classmates that were crying as well and got them to hold hands so they wouldn't feel alone. After that she was good and now neither of them like to be out of school! In fact, they've stated on may occasions that they wish summer vacation was shorter cause they want to go back and see their friends and they miss their teachers!! Too bad that won't last for long! :)

0
47 6

They are starting full day kindergarten where I am this coming September 2012. My second child will have to do it. I'm dreading it because she is home with me 24/7 and there is no preschool here so she has nothing to prepare her for being gone from me. She's only 3 right now but the situation won't change by the time she goes. I know academically she will be ready to go because she's smart but I don't think she will socially be ready to go since there's no preschool to prepare her for it. Any suggestions anyone?

0
34 14

if you dont already do one find a playgroup to help socialise we had a fantastic playgroup with my son some of my best friends and his we met through playgroup, I was a bit slack with my daughter playgroup wasnt every week for her but she went to Occassional care for a while and still loves going there during school holidays when her preschool is closed just to play with the other kids and see the carers maybe there is something like that near you. Even going to the local park and standing back to let her play with the other kids on her own is great for their confidence and socialising. hope this helps good luck :0)

1 7

Anyone have thoughts on a little bit older, 3rd grader? We have been homeschooling, and will now go to a private school. She is apprehensive, very shy and withdrawn.

0
18 2

You could do flexi schooling. My older girls were home schooled after age 7 because the Steiner school we had them in got too expensive. Flexi schooling is still private school but you can choose the number of days they go in. My older girls started going there at 13 and 14 yrs old to do GCSE coursework and exams and they only go 3 days a week (although my eldest recently upped to 4 because she's revising for exams, she's 16 and finishes school in June. She did 4 yrs of Steiner school, 7 yrs of home schooling and 2 yrs of flexi private school).

18 2

I just wanted to let people know that in the UK the legal starting age for school is the first term after their 5th birthday so you have no obligation to start your child in Foundation class if you think they aren't ready. My DD did foundation at nursery, very part-time, then spent 2 and a half years being home educated before she first went to school at age 7 and a half.

Other European countries that start school at around 7 have much better pass rates than we do!

0
1 21

My little girl will be going to school full time this Sept. She has been in nursery doing a 4 day week since she was 9 months old and is so ready to move to big school. I will still be dreading the day tho. :-(

0
34 14

My son started Preschool at 3yrs they do 9am-3.30pm and they take their own lunch and afternoon tea, he did one day a week til he turned 4yr then started 2 days then the term before he was due to start "Big School" he did 3 days he did really well he is now in Grade 2, I am now doing the same with my daughter she has been going one day a week since she turned 3 yr last year will up her to two sometime after her birthday. I think it helps prepared both the kids and mum for Big School.
And no matter how prepared mum is you will probably still have a tear that first day I know I did, he was fine wanted me to leave so he could start school LOL

0
5 8

My daughter has only been going to school Monday to Thursday from 12:30 to 3:30 for two years now. This year she is going to summer school Monday to Thursday from 8 to 1 so this well get her use to going to school all day. She is take two classes in summer school, one called Ready, Set, Go for kindergarten and another called Math Mania. She will have breakfast at school than she goes to Go for kindergarten and then she has lunch, then she goes to Math Mania, then she's done so I think she will be ok with kindergarten. I hope...lol.

0
1 5

My 4 year old will start pre school this coming school year, but only going 2 days a week from 9 till 2:30. I think it is a very big transition too send them full time the first year' especially if they have been home with mom full time and have not been around kids. We did this with our older child and he did great when he started kindergarden.

0
5 15

I started my 4 year old son at preschool first from 9 to 12 and then later on that year he stayed a few times a week for "Lunch Bunch" which then meant he was at school till 1 or 2. So by the time he started kindergarten I felt like he would be ok. I was more worried about his food allergies and lunch then him being in school all day. I thought that 1/2 day kindergarten would have been fine for him, but after just a few weeks of full day I saw how much he had learned already and I am so glad that he went to full day :)

0