What is a natural way to stop lactating?

If you've stopped or aren't breastfeeding, what are natural ways to stop lactating?

15 2

I nursed my son for 13 months. As he ate more solid foods, nursing became a smaller part of his food supply. By the time he was a year old, he nursed just at bed time. At that time, sometimes he forgot; sometimes he did. It just tapered off to nothing. No pain or trauma for either of us.

2
13 2

I nursed both of my girls for about 15 months each and as the demand went down so did the supply so it was a natural process. If you are trying to stop abruptly, I've heard that wrapping your breasts in cold cabbage leaves will stop milk production, but I don't know how true this is.

2
0 0

I believe this does work. It helps not being engorged. I was training for a marathon, it was suggested to help prevent engorment. I would also suggest staying away from foods that help with keeping the supply up, such as oatmeal and beer. Actually besides herbs those are the only two I cant think of off the top of my head.

2 0

Stopping breast feeding can be really hard to do! As a mom of 5 (with a 1 month old) I have found it almost painful to just stop breastfeeding. I took natural steps to tell my body I was done breast feeding when my children stopped. Start by eating less calories a day, your body will stop supplying so much then. Also cut back on feedings if you're doing 3 feedings a day (not sure how old child is...) cut back to one. Eventually your supply will slow down and you won't be lactating! Good luck!

0
210 39

The only way to stop milk production is to stop the demand.
I couldn't breastfeed either of my sons and had engorged breasts, especially with the second baby, and I did nothing. Within a few days the engorgement had reduced, and all leaking had stopped within a few weeks.

The more you feed/pump the more milk will be produced (in theory anyway - I know some mums struggle to produce enough milk to feed their baby), so stopping the feeding/pumping stops production, although it does take the body a little while to realise whats happening.

0
80 10

When the kid sucks you dry!!! Simple and natural, I was running on empty by 3mths lol my child has 5 stomachs I am sure! This rubbish that they will stop when full or their stomach is the size of their fist - HA! AT four weeks my child would empty both breast plus 250mls formula! So natural way is when it run dry or when you need to give it up - NO PRESSURE PEOPLE!

0
11 5

I am a lactation consultant in our community with ten years experience. The natural way to stop lactating involves gradually eliminating a breastfeeding session every day or so until you are not longer breastfeeding. Let's say that you are breastfeeding 6 times/day. For the next day or so decrease to 5 times/day, then to 4 times/day and so forth. Continue doing this until you have completely weaned your baby. This allows your body to gradually adjust to less demand for milk. It's not a good idea to stop breastfeeding all at once. This is a very painful way to stop lactating. I hope this helps.

0
55 19

I stopped at 6 months for my last child due to financial constraints and having to go to work. We put here strictly on formula. Warm showers help to relieve the pressure and my milk flow stopped on it's own. Hope you are getting some help from all the other moms. Good luck!

0
0 0

Cabbage leaves.

0
19 207

There is a "No More Milk" tea that I hear helps. It is sold at http://www.rgnaturalbabies.com
I know they have it in store (racine wisconsin) I will ask the owner if she can put it on line or call the store to order it over the phone and have it shipped. If your local store doesn't have any.
They also have teas to stop heartburn and help with monthly discomfort due to cramps, others to help with morning sickness.

0
0 0

If you take Parsley in capsules it will stop your production of breastmilk really quick.

0
0 0

Sorry to answer with a question. How do I stop breast feeding? My daughter will be three in September and shows no sign of wanting to stop. I'm a single parent and it is very much part of our bond. I'm dreading having to say no to her. Everybody i talk to say she will lose interest naturally, but I have my doubts.

0
10 1

How often is she nursing? If it is just once a day, maybe you can teach her the "not time" yet concept and move her on to the next activity. Distraction. My daughter was not interested in stopping either and we were down to once a day. I went to the Oprah show and so I used this as the opportunity to cease nursing. I don't know if you have family around that you can take a night away, but that may work too.