What political issue are you most passionate about?

0 0

I worry most about out of control spending at all levels of government, but especially the federal government since we know they can print money, cheapening the value of the dollars we have to spend for our families. The debt levels we are facing now are reaching crisis proportions--we don't want to be Greece where the entire country is practically thrown out of work. As one wise observer noted--it's like taking out a mortgage, then a second mortgage on the family house, farm, or business then selling it, leaving our kids and grandkids with the bills but no means to pay them.

I feel a special responsibility as a Boomer, who benefited from the sacrifices from the Greatest WWII Generation--we can't leave those coming after us worse off. We've got to means test entitlements. Ideally I would like to privatize Social Security as the City of Galveston and the country of Chile did years ago to great success. The debt Obamacare would rack up would end up giving us all less care--there has to be a better way, with more choice and competition to bring down prices. When you're talking life and death you don't want some bureaucrat making the decision.

Reducing debt, making government smaller will have the added benefit of pushing us to set priorities and decide what is most important. There are some things only the federal government can do, like provide for the national defense, everything else should go back to the states to sort out. Families are the foundation of a healthy society, and government closest to the people works best.

1
0 25

The fact that my children are being sold into debt slavery by a government that has grown too big, too intrusive, too controlling, and too much of a threat to their liberties and their future. If we stopped spending today, they’d be stuck with a debt burden of $189,000 each - all of which has already been spent, which will be confiscated from their future earnings, and the benefits of which they will be forced to pay for but never enjoy.

Unfortunately, we’re not stopping. In fact, we're accelerating this madness to the point that a recent study determined that each child born today will inherit $1.5 MILLION of national debt. PER PERSON! How are our kids ever supposed to pay that back? And why should they be punished for our irresponsibility? It's fiscal child abuse!

1
0 0

Feminism, which is kind of cheating for an answer because it covers everything - poverty, equal opportunity, reproductive rights, public healthcare, sexuality, racism, classism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, domestic violence, sexual assualt, unpaid domestic labour, support for carers, childcare, mothers' rights, children's rights, access to high quality education, international relations and community building, distribution of income, workplace discrimination, equal employment opportunities, policing and imprisonment and the impact on families, immigration, cost of living and on it goes.

0
0 0

As much as our nation’s explosive debt concerns me—more for the sake of my children than my own—I am most passionate about the pro-life movement. The contraceptive culture in which we currently exist demeans life and women at every opportunity. Pope Paul VI warned of the consequences of contraception over 40 years ago: “a general lowering of moral standards throughout society; a rise in infidelity; a lessening of respect for women by men; and the coercive use of reproductive technologies by governments.” Insightful, no? Sex is no longer reserved as something sacred. It’s supposedly empowering for women to sleep with as many men who willfully use them as possible. It’s practical to go ahead and give teenage daughters artificial hormones that do cause physical harm and even interfere with the biological functions of mate selection. It’s ok to cheat on your spouse because it’s only sex, right? Oh, it’s just the times we live in that over half of babies are born out of wedlock, which happens to be the largest predictor of childhood poverty. But we don’t stop at contraception or even abortion anymore, as the recent brouhaha over a journal article written by two bioethicists proved. Princeton professor and bioethicist Peter Singer suggested a generation ago that “fourth trimester abortion” should be legal to give parents a chance to cull the weak and defective born among us. The new generation of bioethicists believes neither fetus nor newborn has the “moral status” of a human, therefore, if it’s ok to abort one, it should be ok to kill the other as well. How’s that for logic? In a twisted sense, it’s true, but what a wicked thing to expose: if this is the logic liberals have used to justify abortion for years, how can they argue it’s not truly infanticide? They can’t. It is infanticide, and if we allow our children to be taught that it’s natural or somehow acceptable to separate truth, biology and consequence from sex, it will continue.

0
0 0

I am absolutely passionate about protecting access to reproductive rights. We are currently living in a country where reproductive rights are being infringed upon and challenged, almost daily. Just in the first three months of 2012, legislators introduced 944 provisions related to reproductive health and rights in 45 of the 46 legislatures that have convened this year.

My anger over this issue fuels my passion. I am angry that people at the state and national levels feel they have more rights to my body than I do. This is not just an issue that only affects women, as many people will lead you to believe. As a mother, I am furious that my son might grow up in a country that allows its government to dictate what happens to a woman’s body (and how that translates to how society views women in general).

0
0 0

I am very passionate about the expansion of the welfare state, and specifically how it has affected the Black community. However, I don't look at that as a political issue, but more as a human/cultural issue. As late as the 1960's over 70% of Black children were born into married households. Today, 73% of Black children are being raised in single-parent families, missing fathers for the most part. It is no coincidence that the rise of welfare dependency in recent decades among Black Americans has been alongside the decline of the Black family. Nearly every study done on the subject affirms that married households/nuclear families are the number one indicator in the success of a child as they grow. Welfare was intended as a hand up, but the results in the Black community have been to replace the need for a man in the home, thus disrupting the family genesis. This has had a devastating affect in our homes and communities. I feel strongly that the traditional family plus capitalism is the greatest strategy for success. I passionately defend both principles as important in restoring the Black community.

0
0 17

My passions in politics are straight and to the point. Stemming partly from my upbringing in a well disciplined, Baptist household. Then strongly from the stands and beliefs exemplified by the retired LTC, now Congressman Allen West, and the brand of conservatism he brings to the United States Congress and our great nation. Representative Allen West is the Congressman for Florida's District 22.

As the daughter of a retired United States Navy Chief Petty Officer. The issues in which I blog about routinely generally concern our United States Military it's veterans and their families. They are underpaid, undervalued, sometimes forgotten and above all else, should never be the bill payers for our countries debts. We owe them and their families more than money could ever suffice.

My beliefs in my Lord and Savior and His word gives me a highly opinionated voice for Israel. I stand strongly in regards to our relations with them. Israel must always be an ally to the United States, the security they have right now (or lack thereof) from our countries leaders is in dire peril. We need a strong voice in our President to lift them up, back up they're decisions and let Israel have peace of mind that the United States will always have their backs.

I am also not a supporter of the proposed Healthcare Act "Obamacare" as it is totally against our United States Constitution forcing its citizens to have mandated healthcare. I believe that we have many Representatives that have shown us how and why this is now and will be a failure. We have been lied to and misled by the leaders of the Senate, the President and those who have helped construct this disaster.

My passion about this great country that we live in isn't as simple as the things mentioned above. We are a nation of free citizens and our freedoms are being taken away from us daily. Our government is failing us and we continue to watch it crumble. I believe in that shining city on the hill. I believe in the Constitution laid out as guidelines by our founding fathers. I pray each day that citizens within its borders understand that the freedoms they enjoy would not be allowed in most countries and if not for our United States military servicemen and women, our country would not have these things.

May God Bless America.

0
0 0

Hard to choose - but the economy certainly ranks in the top 3! We are concerned about the debt and burden we're leaving our kids, and worry about how different their lives will be compared to our generation. The current administration seems to have no problem with "kicking the can down the road" - without giving much thought to the fact that these are OUR KIDS they're going to be saddling with impossible amounts of debt.

We also are extremely passionate about changing the ever-growing entitlement mentality that is so synonymous with liberalism. Democrats/liberals have an easy sell - they say, "Let the government take care of you, cradle to grave." Conservatives, on the other hand, are asking people to do their part - to strive for greatness, to put in an effort, to be personally responsible. It's a lot easier to sell a hand-out than it is to ask people to have a hand-in their own success.

0
0 0

Environmental protection, human rights, education, constitutional issues, women's rights, animal rights, and trying to get corporate money out of our government so it will work for us.

0
0 0

freedom

0
0 0

The 2012 presidential election.

0
2 0

The economy is a top issue for me, like most Americans. Wages aren't keeping up with the cost of putting gas in our cars and food on our tables. But the national debt is even more troublesome to me than the sluggish economy. As a mother of two young children, I worry about how this debt problem will limit their choices in the future. They don’t get a vote, but politicians are spending away their future earnings. If things don’t change soon we’re going to end up like Greece, or worse.

The size and scope of the government has become so bloated and massive that it’s stifling economic growth and we’re losing freedoms every day. Thomas Jefferson said “A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” That’s a pretty simple summary of what I believe the government’s role is. We don’t have a wise and frugal government anymore. We have a massive, intrusive, wasteful government. It gets worse by the day.

As someone who with a small family business, I also believe it's time to bring public sector pay and benefits in line with the private sector. It's quite offensive to hear politicians talk about "fairness" knowing my husband and I will be working into our seventies and financing the retirements of public workers. How is that fair?

0
0 5

The issue that I'm most passionate about is that of life. I am 100% unapologetically pro-life, and will spend the rest of my life fighting for the unborn in any way that I'm able.

0
0 0

Justice, education, the return to truly participatory representative democracy, and recalling Scott Walker.

Always, in the front of my mind are these two quotes, which define my political philosophy:

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" - Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor" - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

0
0 0

I am most passionate on the issues of education, economic conservatism, and national security.

0