What is the recovery like after a C-section?

What are some things moms can expect while recovering from a C-section? How long was the recovery period for you?

12 0

I really thought i was gonna be in more pain than i actually was. My OB said its because i had a planned c/s and hadnt pushed all the day beforehand and I believe him. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the hospital helped me manage my pain while at the hospital and after I went home. for about 3 days I had a hard time moving well without help, but i made sure to get up and WALK! push myself just enough, not too much, just enough each day so that about a week after i got home, i was fully functional, but still a little sore. My OB was very impressed with my recovery and said that he would be happy to give me a c-section the next time around. i definitely say my experience was a 10, and i am looking forward to the next time.

1
0 0

My oldest son was an emergency C-section. It was hard to stand and even just sit up to get him out of the bed on the cart at the hospital. Not only do you bleed from your feminine parts but the incisionitself is so tender especially when wearing clothes and panties causing me to huntch over for a week to avoid brushing it against my waistline. Its rough for about 2 weeks. My second son was a vaginal birth. I was up and walking, showering etc after the epidural wore off. I much prefer that over a C-section :)

1
6 9

I bounced back quickly from my first c-section. I was 'garaging saling' within a few days (albeit slower than usual!) I sure felt like I had done better than my vaginal birth counterparts since I felt so GOOD! Second c-section was worse though. I had bad scar tissue from doing too much too quickly first time around. Internal scars- everything looked fine on the outside, so I falsely assumed that I was doing fine. I also had two children so it was busier. 18 months later I'm still numb for about 15 cm above my incision and it looks like the feeling isn't going to return. I've heard that it gets harder with each c-section.
I had help for the first 6 weeks after both births. My husband, mother and MIL took turns being with me so I wouldn't have to drive or carry the toddler.
Hope that helps!

1
18 22

i had one child and its been almost 3 years and i have no feeling its all numb for me

6 0

I had my C-SECTION three years ago, I am still having pain were I cant lay on my tummy I cant pick up my son, I also have been having a stabbing feeling. do any of you mothers out there have these same feeling.

0
1 0

I was barely able to stand and take more than a few steps 10 days after my first C-section. Then again I did go septic and was on the critical list. With my second C-section, I was so surprised since I was able to roll over the night after the birth and was able to walk to the NICU the next day! The third C-section I was able to bend over and tie my shoes to get dressed to go home from the hospital and drove myself to the airport to pick up my parents 2 days after coming home from the hospital. I have a pretty strong Constitution and even went to Disney and on the rides 3 days after having a complete hysterectomy (I did use a wheelchair, as I could not walk the parks day after day) Only problem I had was that I could not raise my leg up over the carousel horse when it was in the high position without pain... I also had major knee surgery and went home and walked the dogs while on crutches and full metal brace!

0
1

My first baby was born when I was 34 and my second at 36. The day after the C-section I was advised to walk around as much as possible and to not bend as the pain would be worse and bending would not help the healing process. This was in 1981 and in those days you just got on with it. Yes it was a strain lifting the baby out of the cot and changing nappies but it had to be done, there was no help from the nurses, and holding the baby to breast-feed wasn't exactly comfortable. After my husband went back to work after two weeks I had nobody to help and just had to get on with it but any discomfort from the op soon went and after about 3 weeks I was fine. BUT --- after 32 years I still don't have any feeling where the scar is !!

0
9 0

It is normal to loose sensation over C section scar as nerve endings are cut during operation . They may or may not follow same path after regeneration. Best thing I suggest is to see that C section scar is mobile and not adherent to under lying skin. and have minimal scar tissue. There are creams in pharmacy which will detone scar colour so that it matches your skin . Do not forget to strengthen you lower and upper abdominal muscles and back extensors muscles---- This will set you for life.

0 0

Hi would like to know if any one had a c section due to the baby pressing on your back did you get severe back pain after birth. 12 years onmy back is worse than ever cannot bend withot being in pain. pain killers do not work any help.

0
353 0

Well right after I was hunched over for a few days, but within a week I was finally walking normal. I really felt well after about 3 weeks. I was by myself so no help from anyone. I think I would of healed a lot quicker if I did have someone to pick up the slack.

0
77 0

The recovery for my c-section was about two weeks. The first few days was really tough. I felt so useless and unattractive. I was so bloated with swollen feet that I couldn't fit in any of my shoes. I felt like I was still 8 months pregnant. I couldn't attend to my twins as much as I wanted to. I have a high tolerance for pain so during the recovery time I only took 1 ibuprofen a day.

0
0 0

I had 3 C section. the first because my son is brech baby, second emergency (posterior), the third is because I have to after 2 caesarean.
The third healed much quicky because I drink CARROT JUICE! yes CARROT JUST three times a day after the operation. I couldn't believe that I healed so quickly. The blood stop completely before one month.
and off couse you will need help, take care and be gentle to yourself.
but the cracked nipples I had was more :( painful, the feeding time is a torture. I made promise to myself that if my nipple recover I will feed him anytime he want me to! a promise that I still kept till now (well, he still 6 months old).
SO, DRINK CARROT JUICE!

0
0 0

i had c-section this year march baby girl and my baby is old only 5 months and i had also another two c-section to may sons and know is the 4 children that i'm pregnant only 3 weeks pregnant i'm know so what do you like to advice me to do?

0
0 32

I've had two C-sections. The first one was a crash C-section, so I didn't have a choice in the matter. But surprisingly, although the healing process was painful, I bounced back to normal in about 2 wks. I was also 26 and Active Duty military and only had 6wks to recover so I had to have the will power to heal!!! My second C-section didn't quite go that well. With my 2nd son, I was 31 and I opted for a scheduled C-section because of an article I had read about a ruptured uterus, which is rare, but does happen. Because I had developed so much scar tissue from my 1st C-section, the procedure took twice as long, and the scar tissue had attached itself to my bladder, which they accidently cut in the process. The whole procedure was about two hrs and I spent a week post partum with a urinary catheter so my bladder could heal. Full recovery took about a month and 2yrs later, I still have no feeling in the incision site. I was told that was normal because of how much scar tissue I had. Sometimes with C-sections you have to expect the unexpected because, after all, it is a surgical procedure. Today I look at my 2 boys and how happy and healthy they are, so it was all worth it!

0
9 0

Mom are happy around kids. Ricquel Bristow you are not done at this time. you are Military mom ( I am proud of you). You have history of scar tissue formation during your first C section . I am 100% sure you have more scar tissue after second C section. See that you mobilize you operation scar tissue deeply. Secondly strengthen you lower and upper abdominal muscles.Your more prone for lower abdominal pain. Please consult your physical therapist for pelvic floor care.

76 0

My first 3 sections were painful but bearable but my 4th was agony, because they had to cut through so much scar tissue, started to open when the staples were taken out and still now 10mths on feels like it pulling and slightly tender.

0
9 0

Laura Pavey Please see physical therapist who work on back pain pelvic floor. You have lots of adhesion which needs to release which you can not avoid. It can restrict your pelvic movements.

2 0

i had never undergone any surgery until my son was born. I had the opportunity to choose between a C-section and normal delivery. When i weighed each one f them, this is what i found: for a normal delivery i will have to udergo a lot of pain which cannot be controlled using any pain killer. the fact that i was asthamatic could make things more complicated. The other thing was that my baby was too big. So i choose to have a C-section done. Well, there will be pain for 4 days and it would be difficult to stand and sit. But you will be given pain killers and so the pain is bearable.
Considering the normal delivery, the pain will still be for 4 days and th pain during chld birth can vary from person to person. But the recovery would be sooner.

To sum it all , if your doc says that you could develop complications, always opt for a C-section.

Hope this helps...

Sarah

0
0 17

I was planning on having a c-section with my first pregnancy, and any other kids I would have. I ended up having 2, and neither bothered me. I only took pain meds for 1 day(at the hospital) with the 1st, and a few with the 2nd. I also had my tubes tied the 2nd time and some scar tissue removed from the 1st time, so they said I would have more pain. It wasn't unbearable, just not a "normal" pain. Got the staples taken out within a week of both c-sections and nurses were amazed at my healing. I am also a type 1 diabetic, so that played a lot in my decisions. Typically, diabetics have larger babies and that was the case for me. My son was born at 36 weeks, weighing 9lbs, 6oz and my daughter at 37 weeks, weighing 10lbs, 3.5oz. I wouldn't say there weren't any problems, but there were so few that I don't remember. The more you can rest, the better your body will treat you afterwards. Good luck!

0
0 11

I have had two C sections and the recovery was about the same for each. The hopital I stayed at made the mom's wear leg braces for 12 hours after surgery the cuffs basically massaged your legs every 30 seconds to promote circulation. They actually made me wait 12 hours before getting up. In both cases the first time I stood up I passed out. It's the worst feeling in the world, you get hot then vision goes blank and I didn't remember anything after that. It's normal but I would suggest getting up very slow the first time. I had disolvable stitches inside and staples on the outside. They pulled like crazy evertime I moved, they take them out on day 10 I think. I was never on anything stronger than tylenol with coedine, but they don't wnat you to drive for at least 10 days. I would say day 10 is when you start to feel much better and then everyday it gets a little better. I would say full recovery was 5 months I went back to work after 6 weeks and it was not enough time. People seem to forget that it's major abdominal surgery andrequires a longrecovery period. If you try and do too much too soon your body will tell you, listen to it.

0
0 6

I had a vaginal delivery when I was 19. Was back in my pre-pregnancy clothes in two day. We sure recover faster when we are young. My second child was born when I was 39. After 4 1/2 hours of labor the baby was in distress. We thought he was going to be around 9 pounds. At birth he was 10 pounds 7 ounces. He managed to bruise three ribs before they stopped the contractions and went for the emergency C-section. I had intermittent pain for SIX months after he was born. The hardest part was that I was not allowed to pick him up by myself for the first eight weeks. That was due to his size. If I wanted or needed to hold him (to breast feed) I had to sit and have some one put him in my arms. My third child was born seven weeks before I turned 42. She was a scheduled C-section due to the fact that I had a fibroid tumor. I was not allowed to try for a vaginal delivery as they didn't want me to push the tumor out and bleed to death. I recovered from that one in a couple of weeks. At two weeks I was hold both my daughter and my 2 1/2 year old son. No pain. I am not five weeks past my third C-section. This one was for a hysterectomy. The tumors multiplied and were growing. This recover was even faster that the second one. From my first C-section to my third was five years and seventeen days. The first was by far the hardest. I think they get easier as you know what to expect.

0
10 26

I had a scheduled C-section. The procedure itself was a little scary because A) it was my first time giving birth in any way, so I was naturally scared of the unknown and B) I didn't realize I would be numb all the way to my shoulders. I couldn't move my arms! Otherwise, it was a breeze. I had no constipation and very little pain. I was completely off pain meds of any kind by day 2. Of course, you have restrictions, like with any surgery (no driving for 2 weeks, no lifting anything heavier than the baby for 2 weeks), but they were easy to follow and didn't really inconvenience me in any way. If I had to do it again, I would still get the C-section.

0
136 3

That is just because you don't know different, a c-section should be a life saving option not a whim.

26 63

I had two scheduled c-sections that turned to emergency c-cections due to babies arriving early.

My first c-section was for twin birth. Don’t remember much for the first month since I was in pretty bad shape (probably due to the lack of the sleep from the twins). Had large amount of blood clot and was in a lot of pain the first couple of weeks. Also had a really bad constipation problem to the point I think I needed to be admitted.

My 2nd c-section was a much better experience. Because of the bad experience I had w/ the first one I was prepared. I had ordered high fiber diet and drink plenty of fluid and made sure I took my meds on-time around the clock before pain was an issue (I alternate two different pain meds so it can be overlapped) and I had plenty of sleep because I only had 1 baby 2nd time around. Even though my baby was kept in my room the whole time but she was very easy to take care of compare to the twins because the nurses were bringing the twins in my room to nurse every hour all night vs. every 2 hrs w/ singleton!

My advice is to keep an eye on your medication schedule & watch your diet for the first couple of weeks you should be fine.

0
136 3

My first c-section was unnecessary (they scared me into it to hurry up half way in my labour, it was night) and the recovery very hard, when moving the first time it felt like I was tearing and getting set on fire all at once, it was horrible. I had severe problems walking(i had to hold my leftover belly), getting up and down, intense pain for several days, less pain for several weeks and every change of weather for over a year. The scar was very neat and precise though.
The second c-section came after full labour, both twins were healthy and first down was well positioned and just ready to come, then the second one turned horizontal blocking everything so they had to cut. The recovery was quicker but more difficult because of the twins, it was less painful but this time around the scar looked worse and I had a severe problem that still lasts now: either they cut a nerve or I developed adhesions that make every orgasm as painful as being stabbed and tore. Not all c-sections are consequence free and every woman should at least try to vbac after a c-section.

0
21 38

I've had 2 as well. First because my daughter was breach and I think the worst part of that was the drugs used in the epidural. They made me loopy that whole first day. My second was because my son was born 13 months afterwards so the thought of a v-bac wasn't even there, plus it didn't really appeal to me. So c-section number 2 was much easier. The drugs didn't effect me the same way an I was up and walking 8 hrs after I had him!

There will be pain but there will be pain either way (from what I understand). With both of them I had to move into daily life quickly bc we couldn't afford for hubby to take off of work and same with our parents. We have stairs and driving was a must. And I couldnt tell me one year old "mommy can't hold you". I used the pain meds a little more the second time around but still never went through them. And I slept on the recliner for the first couple weeks for comfort and also it made it easier to get up with the babies. I'm happy with our decisions to go that route.

0
26 16

There will be pain, you wont be able to bend, lift of stertch for a while. You will be uncomfotable and dont do anything for 4-6 weeks, thats where husbands have to pull thier weight.
My first was emergency, they sent me home after 4 days (even though I argued that I should stay an extra day), that night my wound split open. So had midwife coming to house every day for 2 weeks to make sure I was ok and not getting infection.
Second was planned, I knew abit more of what to expect, still pain and uncomfotable.
Third is planned for 14 weeks time. Ready for this, husband had 5 weeks holidays booked as he will have to do a lot, especially looking after our 18 month old, as I wont be able to bathe, change or lift him.
One thing I wasnt told was the area will be numb for a long time, I didnt get feeling back to the stomache area for 4 months the first time, a bit quicker the second.
If they offer pain killers take them, and dont be afraid to ask for some.

0
136 3

Taryn why schedule it? at least wait the first signs of labour then do it if you don't want to have a vbac that would be always ideal...If you wait till labour starts at least you know the baby is ready.

48 10

Ive had 2. First one was emergency due to preclampsia, & when they moved me to my room my morphine drip came un plugged (& not knowing how much pain I should be in I didnt say anything to the nurses until the next morning when they started pushing on my tummy and I was in HORRIBLE pain! & jokingly I said I dont think its turned on, she looked and realized it wasnt!) once the morphine drip was back on it was better. I was also on magnesium so I couldnt get out of bed until the day after I had him. He was in the NICU so I walked back & forth and was in horrible pain because once I started pumping I refused all pain meds because I was scared with him being a preemie it would be too much for him. With my daughter I had her on Wed afternoon, by 7pm I was up walking around the hospital and by Thursday I was carrying my son (18 mos) around. I was released on Friday and left the hospital and went to Babies R Us and chilis before going home. Saturday we had to take her back for blood work and I had my pain med prescription filled then. I only took OTC motrin on Friday night & Sat morn. Then on Sunday I started driving. Best thing you can do is start walking as soon as you can!!! Even if it hurts, get up and walk. Take breaks if you need to, but dont just lay around, it will take longer to heal. My scar is still numb off & on, but its not a big deal. :0)

0
26 23

Depends on what you consider recovered. Yes I was up walking around as soon as the epidural wore off. I felt okay within 12-24 hours but the numbness, swelling, and general recovery took about 6 months for me to feel normal again. My baby is 7 months now and its only been the last month that the numbness went away and swelling is subsiding in the incision area. My 2 other vaginal births were virtually pain free after and I was out and about within 2 days. In my experience vaginal births was much easier for recovery but everyones experience can be different.

0
1 19

I've only had one C-section to date & am just a short 6 wks away from my 2nd. I really appreciate this question being presented as it's good to get the feedback from those who've had 2. I wasn't even thinking that the recovery could potentially vary & pretty much thought I knew what to expect.
My 1st C recovery was surprisingly smooth, especially given I had NO clue what to expect in the 1st place. My recovery definitely accelerated once I was up & mobile, which was about a day afterwards. Since I had to be mobile to move the excess "gas" in order to go home. Going home with my newborn was an excellent motivator! Anyhoo, I agree with several of the Mom's who've posted. I quickly ditched the heavy duty pain killers that made me feel terrible & just relied on a high mg ibuprophin to get me through, keeping it flowing diligently every 6hrs. Within a few days I really didn't need any pain meds which was great! I was able to take my daughter to her 1 week check-up w/no problem & as a Thank You to my Mother for all her help I took her to the NY Botanical Gardens & we spent a lovely afternoon there, maybe 10 days post C? Then on day 16 we packed up a mini-van (I lived in NYC) & got on the road with baby, stored breast milk, cat & all & headed to Atlanta, GA where I've since resided for 5 1/2 yrs & I drove the majority of the 14hr trip. So needless to say I felt great! Having one C under my belt I feel I know what to expect in general & I am hoping that this one goes equally as smooth as the 1st!

0
5 90

I have had 6 kids, 5 vaginally, and the last one Csection. I was in better shape after my Csection then I was with the other 5. I was up and walking as soon as the freezing was out. The nurses said they have to push other women out of bed, but I felt better when I walked. I never slowed down and felt great :) If I were to have another baby I wouldn't be sad to have a Csection again :)

0
6 15

I have had 3, my 1st was the worst as it was an emergency. It took me over a day to get out of bed and I only got out of bed to freaking walk to the cafeteria to get some food by myself since it took forever for them to let me finally eat. The nurses were not supposed to do that and my husband or anybody else was with me to help. It took a minimum of 2 weeks to be able to not hurt as bad and about 6 weeks for the majority of pain to to be gone. Now I am 8 months pp and it still hurts a bit when I stretch my belly in a certain direction.

0
2 12

I had both my son an twin daughters by c-section. With my son (38wks)I was up and moving so quckly I was surprised. Yes the pain meds did help, but I only need thm for a couple of days. But with my daughters(37wks) it was sightly difftent. I was in pain and uncomfortable for about a week, but I did have twins and compliations. But I would not have change a thing. With both pregnancies by the time I wa sent home I was able to care for my babies. But make sure to take it easy, don't over do it and help (like a mom, baby's father or mother-in-law) is good to have.

0
1 12

I have had two elective c sections (breech babies) and i must admit i found it fine both times. Initially i had a urinary catheter, but that was removed the morning after the birth. I am a nurse so was adamant i wouldnt have any post op complications. Make sure you get out of bed as soon as you are able. The morning after the birth is fine. Mobilisation definatley does help, nothing too strenuous but make sure you dont forget to get out of the bed. You should take painkillers around the clock for the first 2 wks and then ease them off. The second time was no sorer for me except when my 3yr old was about. Because i was more energetic when she was around, i did find i was sorer.
The scar is small enough and healed up fine. It eventually fades to a white line.
Being honest, i was feeling normal after 2wks for the first section and 3wks after the second section.
I am now 12wks post my second c section and am fying around and feeling great. I hope all goes well for you!

0
1 30

I was up and walking after about 3 hours ( c-section for my two, 33 week twins). Many people complain of gas problems afterwards, I didn't have that problem at all. I'd say the worst part was the bending while getting into the sitting to standing position and vice versa. It really isn't horrible, i'd do it again if I had to lol

0
5 19

you will heal differently from every one else. Both of my children were c section, my first was an emergency section that produced a 25 week preemie and I thought I was going to die after that cause I hurt so bad for a couple Weeks but I returned to normal. My second section was awesome after I got rid of the drugged feeling and was out of bed 8 hours after and felt a little sore but it was bearable. I didn't take any thing but ib profin for pain but made sure I didn't miss a 6 hour dose for the first few days. It helps you sooo much to get up and around asap!

0
32 82

my 2nd was a c section.. i was stuck in bed for 1st few days and had a cafeter (sp) in and wasnt able 2 get out of bed, i hated it. when i did finally get out of bed i was bent over like an old lady and found it painful to stand up straight, was i was up straight i was fine....
took me a good week before i was walking normal again and for AGES i was having to roll out of bed so i was on all fours on the floor and then use furniture and my knees mainly to help me get up..
i had an 18month old too so i wasnt able to pick her up without pain as you cant pull or strain the stiching incase they open up which can cause infection...

if my son would have come 1st id have never had another child again... my daughter was natural birth no pain relief and i would do that over and over rather than a c section...

0
10 7

I had a c section with my second child and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. However my was and emerg c section. I was able to get up and walk around within a couple of days but I had extreem back problems and wasn't really myself for about a year. I still can't feel much in the area of the incison. With my vaginal birth I was up and atem 2 days later I was feeling tired but was able to do everything I normally did.