What is the right age to pierce her ears?

Some moms choose to pierce their daughter's ears when they are infants, so the pain is nothing but a distant memory; others want the child to make an informed decision on their own and wait until they're older, while still others are vehemently anti-piercing of any kind. What's your stance, and why?

4 13

When I was young, my mom let it be my decision. I asked to have it done for Christmas when I was 12. My mom took me and it was a special experience. I got to pick the earings out and I felt like I was such a big girl for getting to make this decision. It was also special time between my mom and I. My daughter is 3. I'm going to let her decide if and when.

26
180 23

I totally agree I waited until my daughter asked me for it , which was her 6th birthday. It was a very special experience, we made it a date just me and her, had lunch, went and picked out a set of earrings and had it done ..she even got a certificate for being a big girl and not crying or being scared.

35 7

I am a pierced and tattoo'd parent - if my kids want the same then it's their choice, I wouldn't pierce an infant, I'd wait til they're at an age to make an informed decision themselves and then discuss it. If they're old enough I wouldn't stop them but I would discuss with them the maintenance involved in having piercings.

20
0 15

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm not going to put anyone down for what they decide, but I would also like to ask that others do the same and not belittle those parents that do choose to pierce their infant daughter's ears. I have two daughters. After their two month shots, I got both their ears pierced. The way I see it is it is still their decision if they want to take them out later, but at least they won't have to remember the pain when they are older. Both of their ears healed perfectly. Oh, and someone said that their mother pierced their ears when they were a baby and they were not even and she wished it had been her decision - but even as an adult you run the risk that your ears will be pierced incorrectly or will infect. My daughters' ears never got infected either. Honestly, it's not that difficult to care for the piercings of an infant. My two year-old actually loves her earrings. Like I said, to each their own. I simply wanted to say that it is not difficult to care for the piercings and it is a special event no matter what age. If I have a third daughter, I will also be piercing her ears after her first set of shots.

16
20 5

You are right, I pierced ears daily and you wouldn't believe how many grown women came in with freshly pierced ears that were crooked and they wanted me to fix them! It depends on the piercer. Some people just do a crappy job! =]

16 15

Since it's her body and not mine, it will be her decision. We'll talk about and make sure that she understands what she is asking and what will happen. It not my decision to make any sort of elective body modification for someone else. My daughter is a person with her own ideas, wants, needs, and understanding and I treat her as such.

13
82 0

I think if shes old enough to take care of them (cleaning/turning/etc) and wants to, her choice!

0 9

My daughter is 5 months and I had her ears pierced when she was 3 months. Actually I had it done with her 3 month shots so I guess that makes me a bad mother. I spoke to different moms and even her pediatrician and he even told me that it would be better as an infant and while she got her shots so she wouldn't have to be in pain on two separate occasions. As a matter of fact they pierced her ears about 10 minutes before they gave her shots and she didn't cry when they did it. I cried more than she did. She did however scream and cry for about 30 minutes after they have her the shots. She was not sore or at least did not seem to be and it all went a lot better than I had anticipated. I don't see why it should be a big deal. I'm happy with my decision to do it at such a young and have already gotten it over with

10
0 6

I did my daughters at the age of 4 months... She cried for a split second, until she was given her soother, then she was 'fine as kind'. We had them pierced at a store in the mall, everyone shopping stopped to watch. My daughter loved the attention, seemed to make her forget about the pain. She never bothered with them and they healed fine. She is now 4.5 years old and loves her earrings, which are perfectly even on both sides! :)

2 14

I left the decision up to my daughter after all they are her ears.

10
2 20

I have triplets, 2 girls. I struggled at first with the decision whether or not to pierce. All my friends said just do now so they don't remember the pain. Well I didn't. My mom pierced my ears at 3 months old. I'm 32 and hardly ever wear earring. I am a little upset that I never got to make the decision for myself because I would have chosen to not get it done. My girls are 19 months and I am leaving the decision up to them.

9
0 0

I feel this. My mom pierced my ears when I was a baby. I'm twenty-seven now and never wear earrings. My ears often swell up and get infected when I do- even if they're nickel-free. Plus, I have to clean my piercings out all the time (dead skin and oil collects in them) and yuck. So my nine-year-old daughter still hasn't had her ears pierced. She hasn't asked for it, so we haven't done it. My sister pierced my baby niece's (she's a year old now, got her ears pierced when she was about six months old), and the only reason she gave for doing it was she didn't want people to think my niece was a boy. She dresses her in the pinkest, frilliest things she can find, I don't know how she thought anyone would make that mistake, or why she cared if the occasional stranger accidentally got the baby's sex wrong for thirty seconds.

0 41

Personally, I left it up to my daughter, she decided at the age of 5 years old. Everyone is different tho!!

9
2 32

I pierced my daughter's ears when she was 6 months and circumcised my son at birth. Both were done mainly due to my culture (I'm Hispanic and that's just what we do). The same was done to me and my brother. Not a big deal. My daughter wears little earrings most of the time (she is 9) and if she chooses not to she doesn't, again not a big deal. I'm a child psychologist and can tell you there are a lot of things that kids go through that scar them and this is not one of them! It's a little tiny hole and it doesn't hurt any more than a pinch (that was my high school job- I worked in a jewerly store). I choose what my kids wear, what city we live in, and what religion we practice. Again, they can stop doing it when they are older if they choose. Really, this is a personal decision as much as at what age your daughter can wear makeup, heels, shave their legs, etc and it's mainly due to your upbringing and what you think works for your daughter and your family. Don't make a bigger deal about it than it is. Spend your energy deciding how to raise your kids morally and rightfully so that they can be part of a better world whether they happen to have little holes in their ears or not!

8
4 29

THANK YOU! very well said!!!

8 5

My daughter started asking for pierced ears when she was 8. Our decison together was when she was double digits, she could get her ears pierced. When the day came, she went with her sister and her best friend. She was old enough to clean them herself too. She is very responsible about her earrings and her friend brought her along a month later when she had her ears pierced. I'm sure it was a special memory for all the girls. Her sister can't wait to turn 10 so she can pierce her ears too.

8
4 4

Although my child is a minor, I do not feel it is MY choice to pierce her ears out of some desire that I want, or thing that she end up wanting! They are NOT my ears and my child needs to be old enough to understand and want her ears pierced!

7
8 25

I waited until my girls turned 13 as it gave them something to look forward to other than just becoming an official teenager. My sister was 13 when she got hers pierced and the same way with me and it gave me something to look forward to. Don't know if they really appreciated HAVING to wait but they haven't said much about it since they are now 16 and 14.

7
1 15

I personally do not have a girl but was at the mall not that long ago and a woman had her daughters ears pierced. The little girl had to be around 6 months and she was screaming so loud I heard it from the other side of them mall. It wasn't even my daughter and I wanted to cry. Personally I would wait until my daughter turned 13 like my Mom did for me. That way it is an exciting experiance, with memories that are nice instead of a screaming fit.

6
1 7

I waited until my daughter asked (at 5 years old) and I took her then. I didn't have an objection to piercing her ears and was going to do it when she was an infant but thought it should be her choice. It's such a personal thing that parents need to do what feels right to them. I have friends who got their daughter AND son's ears pierced at all different ages. Go with your gut.

5
11 15

It is actually best to wait until about 9 years old. Don't forget your child's ears will keep growing. Best to pierce later so the hole is in the right spot. I think your children should be old enough to make their own decision.

5
20 5

A good piercer knows where to pierce an infant's ears to allow for the growing. =]

12 2

I never thought to get my daughter's ears done as a baby. Considered it at 1yr old and decided against it. then again around 2yrs old considered it again.

She is now 4yrs old and have decided to wait until she is ready. I have asked occasionally if she wants it done,and she says yes then changes her mind 5 minutes later.

So its all up to her now. I look forward to the day she asks and is ready.

5
76 29

me and my partner have spoken about this recently and we have both decided to wait until she is old enough to make the decision herself especially after my own experience.
I had my ears pierced as a baby and they were not straight, so now i have 2 sets of holes at the front and only 1 hole at the back. I dont wear earrings and wish i had been able to make the decision myself because it would have been a no.

5
12 10

My mom made me wait until I was 12. I got a job and paid for it myself. My 3 Girls waited until they were 12. It just seamed right for us. My daughter has my granddaughters done at 3 months. It seamed right to her. My grandbaby is almost 3 years old and doesn't reallize her ears are periced yet. Although she found my snowman earrings at christmas and knew what they were for. Her mom said she never pulled at her ears or it never bothered her. I think it is a personal desision. I will say changing her shirt was always more difficult because you have to watch out for their earrings. She still wears gold or diamond studs. I am getting her loops for her birthday.

4
2 5

I let my daughter decide when she wanted her ears pierced . When she was 4 she asked to get them done.

4
6 0

I knew I wanted her ears pierced but I chose to wait until second grade right before her 8th birthday and communion. By then we were done with deciding about Soccer or no soccer (we did 2 years age 5 & 6) -- by age 8 she was able to choose her own earrings we talked together about ear care and she was excited to make responsible decisions about what kind of earrings to wear to school and on weekends. She learned the school rules (posts only) and learned that weekend fun earrings REALLY WERE FUN!!! I was very proud of how responsible she was with her earrings and still is! I feel like I made a good decision for both of us.

Joanne & Teresa

4
42 12

My daughter, if she chooses, can have her ears pierced for her 13th birthday.. It was something special I got to do with my mom when I turned 13. Also that way they are old enough for the responsibility of taking care of it. There is a metal allergy that runs in my family that appears out of nowhere after we pierce our ears. It is a miserable allergy to deal with so I would like my daughter to know the risk and make that decision on her own. It is her body and if that is something she is willing to deal with for the rest of her life then that is up to her. It is her decision to make not mine.

4
7 11

My daughter is 2 months old and I plan on leaving the decision up to her when she is older. I know I loved having that experience with my mom and little sister when we got our ears pierced together and I want her to have a similarly happy experience with it all.

4
2 0

I have pierce all 3 of my girls ear at 3 months old, they don't even remember but now they have all the fun of using earrings or not if they choose... my 13yr old hears all the stories from friends that do remember the pain part and is glad she had it early.. also my experience at 9 was so traumatizing that i took them out right away and to this day don't have my ears done... i WISH my mom had done my ears as a infant....

3
20 5

Its not too bad! I did mine at 32 years old. =] Now I have a second hole in each ear.

1 4

Left my daughter make her own decision :)

3
4 7

All 3 of my girls had them done at 8-9 months old. Never had any issues? My girls take them in and out, swap them or not wear any. Geez it's not like their getting their bellies pierced or tongue. Kids get immunisations that hurt when they are little.. What's so wrong with earrings? If u don't and let ur child decide then that's ur and their choice. Got nothing against that. :)

3
13 14

I have a 2month old girl and have already checked to see when I can get hers done. At the time she was not old enough cause she was only 5 weeks old. The place I plan to take my daughter says they have to be at least 2 months old and be up to date with their vaccines. I plan to take my daughter around Valentines day to get hers done. I feel that if she later decides she does not want to wear earrings she can simply take them out. I ahd my ears pierced when I was very young and while I dont wear earring often due to working in a child care center and kids pulling on them I do still wear them. My only suggestion....if your child does go to child care check with their policy if there is one...I know my center does not allow infants to wear earrings because if they fall out they pose as a choking hazard.

2
0 12

I think it is cute when Isee baby girls with their ears pierced however I think that it is more fun to wait until they want their ears pierced. When I was a little girl I was afraid to get them pierced and a friend tried to get me to get them pierced. I waited about 2 years later to finally have the courage to get them pierced and it went well. Really this issue is more about the parents commitment to care for the child's ears once they are pierced because you have to go through a period of daily care for about 2 or 3 weeks to prevent infections. I do know that some people choose not to pierce a baby girl's ears at a certain age due to the fact that the pain that might come along with piercing may cause the baby to touch their ears and could lead to an infection. The other factor is are you willing to accept any painful cuts from the errings getting caught on stuff or any other injuries to the child while wearing errings?

2
5 0

I just pierced my daughters at 7 months & I'm glad I did. I went back and forth & decided I had heard more pros than cons when it came to piercing them early. I had mine done at 2 years old & my mother said if I touched them I would have to go to the doctor & get a shot so I never touched them. I decided to pierce my daughters at 7 months because I could control the cleaning part & know it was done properly without her fearing of a shot :) she has not bothered them & they have not seemed to bother her. They did not get infected & people now realize she is a girl (even though she can be in a dress & they ask if its a boy or girl) haha and honestly if she decides she doesn't like them she can take them out, its not like i gauged them, they are just cute little diamond studs. thats my 2 cents....you will just have to decide for yourself

2
5 0

I've noticed several people stating they personally or knew someone who has had constant infection with their piercings even when using nickel free ear rings....I can not wear anything but gold and my mother is the same way, so I got solid gold for my daughter to avoid a possible allergy. just a suggestion, helpful tip...whatever you want to call it :)

0 29

To those of you that say it's your daughter's body and her decision, if you have a son did/will you circumcise him? It's his body after all...

2
0 11

did not pierce or circumcise my twins.... girl and boy... both have the hood and the ears unscathed by me.

22 7

I had my daughter's done at approx 2 and a half months. I love how they look and they had no problems healing at all. She barely cried. Her older brother cried more than she did. They said that they preferred to do the younger children because they couldn't turn and get away on them while they were trying to pierce their ears. My only regret was that they were arguing over which mark to pierce and they pierced it crooked on one side and I had to take her back and have it redone...... I should have made them wipe it off and start over. I had mine done when I was four. My grandmother asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told her that was what I wanted and she took me to town and had it done. My father was mad and told my mother to make sure that I kept them clean or else he was going to never let her hear the end of it. I had my second set done when I was 12 and went with a friend to the hairdressers and had them done.

2
0 23

For girls between 2 and 3 months. for boys Never!

2
31 20

I agree 100%. You said it right.

111 63

It's a personal decision as to whether or not to do it, but if I were to have a girl, I'd wait until she was ready & wanted them. It's only b/c I don't want to take care of the earrings on a baby or toddler. I have 2 boys already so I have other things to worry about besides piercing care. kwim? I'm not against piercings. I had several just a few years back & if my kids wanted other parts pierced in their teens I'd take them to get it done. Regardless of when they're done, if at all, I'd be taking her to the tattoo shop I use to have it done & not the mall kiosk. The shop I use is guaranteed sterile (family friends own it) & the mall is definitely not.

2
8 28

I personally think it is the best time when they are babies, like under 1 year. They are less aware of the earrings and don't fuss as much to do it. My daughter was 6 months old when we pierced her ears, she cried for about 5 minutes and it was never thought of again. Like previous posters said, it is up to you though. It's also a good idea to let the child decide for herself when she wants to do it so she can feel like she's in control of the situation- she can even pick her own earrings and it can be a Mommy and daughter experience.

2
4 16

As an Italian, having your daughters ears pierced is a none issue. My sister got her ears pierced at 1, I was 6. My kids were 2 or 3. I think ear piercing is a decision based on how you were raised to think about it. For me, it is just something we do early, because it looks cute, and it is the norm. If you are unsure, wait till your kid asks about ear piercing, and if you think your daughter is able to care for her newly pierced ears, let her.

1
8 8

I had my daughters ears pierced at 2 months. She is 3 years old and has not had any problems. I am 27 years old and my mom had my ears pierced when I was just 4 days old.

1
23 13

I waited untill my daughter asked me if she could get it done, she was 6. Shes a good girl, and that was her reward for doing so well in school :)

1
4 11

we piearced Isabelle's ears when she was 8 months old! it was done roud 11am,she was bit off for the rest of the day so i gave her some calpol.next day she was perfectly fine,we just need it to watch her after that & twist her earrings every day.it was the best time to do it bcous they dont take much of notice of it at that age,the sooner you do it,the better it is!

1
10 24

i'll admit right now that i didn't read every response as this seems to be a popular topic and there were just so many. Seems like everyone has a really strong (and perhaps judgmental) opinion on this one. I got my daughter's ears pierced when she was 12 weeks old. I did a lot of reading, research, talked to her pediatrician, and talked to other moms. I chose a very reputable shop here in dallas (la lobe). They have a lady there who specializes in piercing infants. She said that she had been doing it for more than 20 years. She used a needle and solid gold earrings. the needle gives the person doing them more control over the angle they go in. also allows for a flat back earring to be put in not the pointy one that is used with a piercing gun. She cried when her Daddy (I wasn't brave enough) held her head still so she wouldn't move. He said that she didn't even seem to notice when the needle went through. she was fine with in 30 seconds after it was done. She's little enough that she doesn't pull on them and her hair is short enough that it won't get wrapped around the posts. These are two main reasons little girls get their new piercings infected. I clean them twice a day. It clearly never bothered her as she smiles each time we do it. They look great and they have healed perfectly. I'm so glad that I chose to do it when she was little! I would urge anyone considering having it done (no matter the age when it is done) to find someone who really knows what they are doing. A place in the mall might work if you happened to find someone who really knew what they were doing. what if you find the 16 year old that has only had a few weeks of training. just a thought. it's easy to do them wrong and have them crooked, or done to low on the baby's ears (so it wouldn't be in the correct place as their ear lobe grows). i have heard that some pediatricians even offer it in their office! I'm a pierced and tattooed mommy (although you wouldn't know it from meeting me as i don't often wear anything besides earrings on a daily basis) and I'm guessing that my daughter would have asked for her ears to be pierced at some point. I would rather not have to go through the fear and resistance of cleaning them properly with a toddler or young girl. If she does hate them one day then she can simply take them out. Just seems like a silly thing to judge another mommy for. If anyone has any questions or wants to see pictures just let me know. i'll be happy to share :)

1
4 29

I like the way you put it, I agree with you, I did the same thing, I have earrings, I just KNOW my daughter would want some eventually so why wait and have her go through the pain, my 8 week old baby didn't care about it either. And I got a cartilage piercing for myself as a memorable thing, if anyone wants to judge cause I "made her" go through that pain, there, I went through it too! And I didn't go to Claire's for that same reason, the girl seemed no older than 18-19? I went to a jewelry store where 2 older ladies did a great job!

0 0

Hello every one, well I made that decision for all three of my girls when they where 3mths old.
Now they are 17, 8, 22mth and they just love their earrings. My mom actually pierced mine and my twin sister at the age of 8yrs old and I'm glad she did. I just think girls are so pretty with them. I respect any parent for waiting to let their babies grow older to make that decision.

1
7 7

i got my daughters ears peirced at 2 months old she never noticed it till she was 3 and i started changing them out but she only cried for a min when i got them peirced

1