What are some home remedies for a cough?

Children frequently catch colds and may develop a minor cough. What are some natural home remedies that you can use to help relieve your child's cough?

4 16

I have a few that have worked well. The first is vicks/tiger balm on the bottoms of their feet. This usually helps stop a cough in 5-10 minutes. It can also help on their chest/neck. I also used essential oils this last winter. A mix of Eucalyptus, Melaleuca and On Guard essential oils from doTERRA and spread that on chest and back. It really worked quickly and helped my boys to sleep during the night.

28
6 1

I have used the vicks/Unkers on the bottom of the feet for years and its worked like a charm. I put a nice amount and cover with heavier socks and its given the kids relief (and myself/hubby).

4 15

We put Vick's Vapor Rub on the kids' feet at night and then cover them with socks. They sleep much better with fewer bouts of coughing fits. The additional rest really helps them recover much faster.

22
3 0

Very surprisingly i was advised only last week when my one and a half year old was suffering with a chesty cough to rub pure vaseline on her back, chest and throat area and then just simply keep sufficent layers on her to keep her warm. My friend told me that when she was raised in Kenya this is what the mother's did and would combat chesty coughs in one or two days! I was desperate for my baby to be eased from the coughing so instantly tried it though I added a few drops of Olbas oil to her chest and back and put her down for some rest as the coughing had exhausted her. I have to say less than a day later the violent, chesty cough she had for a week was gone. She told me the vaseline acts as a layer of skin and warms up the child inside and then softens the phlegm off the lungs??? I don't know for sure but maybe give it a try? Also i never give them cold drinks, always warm and a small teaspoon of honey to lubricate their throat. Hope this helps.

13
2 5

Have done this with all of my kids and for myself over the years. Slice or dice an onion and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with some sugar or drizzle with honey(if over a yr old) and tilt bowl with a dishtowel under one end so that the juices run to one side. Teaspoon or so every hour to 3 hours. If laying child down to sleep have them lie over a pillow with head slightly lower than chest.

I have no idea why this works, but it breaks up the congestion like you wouldn't believe! It will sound worse before it sounds better but the cough becomes productive and starts clearing up.

I first used this on my son when he was 2 and had constant respiratory infections. An older cousin who was a nurse mind you, made this at a family get together for my baby who was suffering because of his horrible cough. It worked! He was over it within a day or two and the congestion was broken up that same night.

Tastes like onion juice but if you get it sweet enough it is easier to handle. Try it. You will be shocked at what it does.

13
8 37

I had heard of using honey but never this concoction...I may have to try this the next time mine has a cough. That is if I can get her to take it!

8 1

My nan was a well-known healer in Pakistan and when my boys had bronchitis and re-curring chest infections she told me: some ginger, 4 cloves, cinnamon stick 2(inch), less than a pinch of black pepper. Put lots of water in pan slow boil until you have a quarter left. bottle it up an put in the fridge. Give the child one teaspoon of this mixed with honey and a drop of lemon three times a day. All the ingredients have the effect of natural antibiotics and aid in clearing the chest up. We keep this concoction bottled and it doesn't go off for about a month.

8
0 0

Hi, I would like to know if its 4 cloves of ginger for your recipe? Thank you so much, Cindy♥

2 0

We like to use a teaspoonful of honey and a cup of your favorite warm tea. This is especially helpful in the evening, when it seems your cough is most persistent. Our daughter, who will be 8, loves this. Her favorite warm tea is apple cinnamon, ours too, as there is no sweeting needed. Hope this helps.

6
0 0

This is what I used for my children, also!

6 59

My Mom always put Vicks on our chest and followed by a warm towel which helped sinuses also

5
0 0

Try making a combination of honey, lemon and a little cinnamon, heated slightly. A few spoons of this will sooth the throat and take away that nagging cough... Use it in conjunction with the already mentioned vicks rub on the feet, chest and back.

4
0 0

Try boiling peppermint leaves (with rock sugar for better taste) to make a cup of drink (about 8 oz)and drink it until the cough clears (roughly a week's time). My boy and mine clears after three days. Boil 7 leaves for girl or 8 leaves for boy. It helps even the adults. Adult can drink a cup but you can give your children maybe about 2 oz.

4
0 33

Propping them up with a couple pillows, warm mist humidifier and Vicks on the bottoms of feet and chest. Works well!

3
0 6

Put vicks on soles of feet when child goes to bed. Add socks as well :)

3
3 9

Depending on the age of the child, it would depend. My son had a lot of problems with bronchitis when he was little and we must have gone through every possible cough medicine on the market. The best thing I have found to get rid of a lingering cough is Elderberry Extract. You can find it in your local health food store or GNC. Get the liquid form, and if it's for your child, mix it in with some Kool-Aid or juice because otherwise it's a little bitter. It got rid of my son's cough in a couple days after weeks of trying OTC cough medicines.

3
0 0

We give our daughter elderberry daily as it helps to build the immune system. She gets colds lessboften. Some elderberry has sugar so be sure to read the label. I get it at whole foods.

6 0

I went to bed one night and couldn't stop coughing. My thought wasn't really irritated, I just had a tickle. I don't like taking medicine if I can at all help it so I tried drinking warm water and tea. These worked okay while I was drinking them but as soon as I laid down the cough would come back. I remembered that some one told me to try vinegar and honey. So I mixed a tsp of each an gulped it down. It took my breath away at first! I coughed a couple times immediately afterwards, probably more as a gag reflex! Then it was gone. I went to bed and slept soundly the rest of the night. Desperate times calls for desperate measures! For less drastic coughs try gargling salt water, mix your honey with lemon juice, or have cinnamon tea with honey. Make sure you get the cinnamon from health food store as it is stronger and much more effective. Honey too should be harvested from a local producer as they contain the cure for your local allergies. The honey with the most potency is raw and local grown.

2
6 0

Oops! My throat not my thought!

0 0

I usually give my kids mandarin and oranges to eat and vitamin C supplement to help them recover from cough faster.Then lots of rest and I also use Vicks vaporub on their chest, neck and back to help them sleep, give them plenty of lukewarm water to drink. My kids usually recover faster instead of giving them cough suppressants or medicines.

1
0 1

Vicks under the feet then cover with socks also on chest.

1
0 12

I found a good ones, hope they can be helpful. Surely when a child have the coughing is necessary to change the diet. No cold food, dairy product, and depending if it is a dry cough you should avoid to consume lemon only it will make it worst. Beter let them eat sweet and juicy fruits, green vegetable and recomment the following: boil 1 ltr. soya milk with 1 cup of date, let it boil until date are softend, and blend, give to the child 3 times a day one tablespoon, it taste sweet ;) and is good for babys. Other: grate onion add honey let it rest a couple of minutes a fluid with come out of the onion, this mix give to the child 3 times a day one teaspoon, this is for childrend 2 years older or more. Eucaliptus tea with honey, use 1 leaf per cup of boil water, let them drink 1/2 of cup in the morning and before going to sleep. Aloe gel is also good for bigger childrend, mix it with honey if disired, Also boil radish with honey and 1 lemon and this mix blend it together place it in a glass container and give this to the child 3 times a day, it will remove the sluggishness effectively. If they coughing at night and they can sleep, warm a teaspoon of olive oil with one teaspoon of honey let them drink it and swallow it slowly. Have a good day.. and it help your child.

1
0 1

1Tbsp honey with lemon. If they won't take it as is, mix with water.

1
0 20

a spoon of honey!

1
6 23

Honey. Try it for yourself the next sorethroat/cough you get and you'll wonder why it took you this long to find out! No honey for younger children. 2 and over. Vicks of bottom of feet and underarms.

1
29 2

boil some indian basil leaves with some peppermint leaves together with some rock sugar or brown sugar (optional). Strain and feed 1 tbsp of this water about 5 times a day especially morning and night. My kids love this and ask for it even when they don't have cough. It works well to clear phlegm.

1
2 10

Putting an onion that has been top and tailed by their bedside, it sucks up the bacteria and goes black.

1
1 0

just place a peeled raw onion open in bowl?

0 4

I have an 8 almost 9 yr old. We use pure peppermint sticks (like Candy Canes ---- we stock up at the end of Christmas and buy tons at day after Christmas Sales) to suck on. The peppermint is a natural soother and also works wonders for a sore throat. We learned this from our doctor and it works wonders.

1
0 12

As a teacher AND mom, I have found that sucking on a Hershey's Kiss coats the throat and quiets a cough better than ANY cough syrup or cough drop on the market!!

1
0 20

Really? I can't believe it. My kids will love it!

0 5

When my children got old enough to understand what "suck" meant I would give them a small piece of chocolate to suck on, they loved it, no arguments over the ucky taste, works well, we still do it to this day when we get to coughing. Sure beats cough drops.

1
9 11

Chocolate? Does it seriously work? My daughter would love this remedy! I'm so tired of all the cough mixtures I have to give her! I'd really love to fine just a natural home made remedy! I'm definitely gonna try yours!!

0 0

An old irish remedy!! is rub some hot melted butter onto the chest and cover with a piece of crumpled brown paper(scrunch it until it feels soft) pin it to inside of babys vest so it wont move do this morning & at night, Guarenteed to break any cough!!

1
107 13

my twins are only 3months old wot would you suggest for them. they both get breast milk as much as possible but im also got a cough n cold and is affecting their recovering time. i will try some of the remedes on here for me n my older 2 but babies really suffering and my sleep and theirs is very erratic

1
1 0

use ginger and honey

0
0 0

I have used the VIc's on the feet and arm pit method given by aunts and other moms. Also teaspoon of honey (if over one) before or after nap times... She still has the cold and cough, but the remedies seem to help ease her while trying to fight it! :)

0
3 0

Honey

0
43 0

First make sure you don't use a humidifier. We had chronic coughs in our household and it turned out to be a mold issue which is more common than you'd suspect. In addition to some of the other great suggestions, I'd suggest making sure they cover their mouth w/ a blanket when sleeping so the air they breathe in is warm and moist. And stay well hydrated - can make an amazing difference.

0
1

peppermint candies(2) lemon juice like a 1/8 to 1/4 cup and sugar to taste heat this up and sip slowely ,fixes cough fast

0
0 11

Surely Vicks works wonders in case of cold, taking steam works well. I also give my children a mix of ginger juice, honey and little bit of turmeric. Ginger and honey are known to soothe throat and turmeric acts as a natural antiseptic.
I remember my mother used to give us small balls made of jaggery, saunth(dry ginger) powder and little turmeric. I do the same and usually keep these small sweet balls in a transparent bottle at an accessible place so that the children take it themselves when they feel like..so no force feeding of the so called medicine! And you bet it works wonders!

0
0 3

1 part extra virgin olive oil with 1/2 part apple cider vinegar properly blended, taken 3 times a day should do the trick. It has worked for my daughter.

0
0 0

take a tablespoon of honey. It coats the throat and usually stops a cough.

0
0 19

Approx tablespoon of pickle juice with little bit of honey mixed in. This works on adults also. It really works.

0
0 23

To stop a hacking little cough at bed time, my mom rest her soul, used to put saliva on the bottom of my oldest son's feet whenever he started coughing at night, it might sound yucky to you, but I swear to God it REALLY WORKED, afterwards I started doing it myself to him and his siblings everytime they had a hacking little cough at night, to date they do the same for their own kids even that they tought it was weird at the time when they were young,I don't really know if is sanitary or not to do that but, but the only thing I know is that it really works.

0
5 2

Fresh squeezed ginger juice with equal parts honey mixed together, one spoonful at a time. This is not for children under one because of the honey.

0
3 3

A nice healthy shot of Whiskey!

0
0 6

spoon full of honey with lime juice sqeezed on top

0
0 12

I swear by Atise Soy Melts ~ 'Breathe Easy Blend' of Essential Oils. A soy melt infused with Essential Oils of Eucalyptus (Natures Decongestant), Lemon & Peppermint. Soothing, refreshing, and really relieves coughs, colds and congestion. Allows a good night's sleep when used in a flame free melt warmer (Atise Aroma Glow is ideal) overnight in the child's room - (without the mess of a steam vapouriser!!).

www.aymie.atise.com.au

0