What are some safe deodorant for kids?

Sometimes little bodies' hormones start changing, and you can smell it before you can see it. What are some safe deodorants to give to kids?

0 0

Well, my son is 13 and has been using regular deodorant for about a year. I don't wish to offend anyone but I've known people that won't use deodorant and it doesn't matter how clean they think they are, there is still a smell after some time. Perfume only makes it worse, because then you have the BO problem as well as that sweet smell. I've known people to use things marketed as more natural and they just don't work. If there is something out there I don't know about, more power to you!! And please let me know, I'm willing to try it! I'm sorry gals but if you think just bathing or using perfume is enough you're kidding yourself and your friends are too nice to say anything.

12
33 22

Hi Jen! There is!!! call me and I will show you, jean 717-341-7847

2 24

Here is an article that tells you about the needed ingredients, and what they do (deodorant vs antiperspirant). Tom's of Maine has some great products, but there are others out there. Check this out! http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/underarm-care/tips/5-natural-deodorant-ingredients.htm
Hope this is informative;-)

10
0 4

Tom's of Maine has excellent products! What's important to know id to use deoderant, NOT antiperspirant. Your body needs to perspire. We only learnt this after my mother's surgery, from 3 top doctors no less...

0 11

I posted this response in another deodorant thread, but it answers this question as well, so here's my answer again.. My daughter starting to have BO at 5 and we started off with Tom's deodorant. It worked for a bit and then she stunk again. So, we switched to antiperspirant (which works), but I didn't like what was in it, so I did a lot of research and found an alternative. Milk of Magnesia (MOM)! If you can get a roll on bottle and fill it with MOM, it works great! Just apply and let dry and you should be stink free for a good 12 hours or more hours. Unlike antiperspirant, it doesn't stop the sweat...but it does stops the stink. if you can't find a refillable roll on, just apply with a cotton pad. It's safe and super cheap. I buy the no name brand and it works great!

9
3 0

This is what we used when we FIRST needed deoderant and we were under 12. My Grandmother put it on with cotton balls and gave each one of us a bottle to use at home. I switched to regular deoderant when I turned about 12 because I was annoyed about having to hold my arms up until it dryed. LOL. I was always a bit impatient. I'm a Jersey girl what can I say. However, I forgot all about it until I saw this post. My boys DEFINITELY need it, I've been giving them regular deoderant. I tried the natural deoderant and that was laughable. It was almost like it made it WORSE.

0 0

It is annoying to see how many people are convinced that because their own body behaves a certain way everyone's does the same. Some people sweat more than others. We have our own chemistry. We react differently to different substances. This often repeated - 'all they need is to bathe' is implying that other children are not bathing? My mother has no need of deodorant, she hardly sweats. She takes a shower and she is set. I, on the other hand have a completely different disposition (even when eating the same diet!) and I have always sweat to the point of embarrassment and I wouldn't dream of leaving the house without bathing. I was humiliated when I was a tween because my mother had the attitude that what was good for her was good for me, until my teacher pulled me aside. It was the same with bras. You are you and your child is a separate person. If they need some type of deodorant than let it be. My daughter could not smell herself. She was convinced she smelled fine. I had to convince her that she was smelling. I have to remind her to use (Toms) in our case to keep on top of it. You cannot simplify everyone down to one rule - for anything!

8
0 0

PureBodyScent deodorant is completely free of all toxins, including hydrogenated oils... and IT WORKS! ;)

0 7

No one should be using any anti-perspirants as they are full of aluminium which is toxic to your body and is linked to dementia and alzheimers. Rather get your child something natural to use. My son is turning eleven in Feb and his body is changing and body odour becoming more noticeable. A bath everyday does not cover it as during the day you sweat and it can cause a problem. Natural is the way to go for sure

7
0 4

The women's stuff all has anti-perspirants in them. I have looked and searched and can't find just deorderant for women.

0 0

My son is 13 and my daughter is 10 and they do not use deodorant or antiperspirant. I have not used these products for the last 2 years myself. I loved Tom's of Maine natural, unscented roll on when I needed it. However, after having cancer and going through chemotherapy last year, one of my Naturopathic Doctors told me not to use any underarm products as they suppress the immune system, mess with the endocrine system, hormones and send the toxins back into the body. We have taught our children it is a good thing to sweat because it is releasing toxins from their bodies. Our son has never had offensive body odor because he takes a shower every day and his diet is very healthy. Our daughter has had some body odor as her body is changing. If she showers everyday, it is not a problem. Her diet is healthy also but for her the odor came at the same time as her first stage of developing. Think about it...the arm pit is closest to the developing breast...I don't want to suppress any toxins that are trying to be released from her body. I wonder if there is any link to breast cancer and toxic underarm products. Our pre-teens, teens and young adults are harassed by media to be something, look a certain way and smell a certain way. I protect my kids as much as possible from the mainstream nonsense that destroys their self image. When do children not smell?

6
0 0

i agree with you!!

1 11

My daughter started having an odor problem when she was 6. I spent a long time in the cosmetic store and pharmacy talking to the pharmacists (who could not offer me anything I felt comfortable with.) I remember my mom used something called "MUM" when I was a child but that darkened my underarms really bad. Eventually I tried baking soda on the advice of an elderly gentleman in my village. this really works!!! You dust it on like powder. It allows her body to perspire but there is no odor. A definite plus is that it is also a gentle exfoliating agent and so there is no darkening of the underarms.
I hope this helps.

5
0 0

I agree,, Baking Soda, My son wlll be 13 this Thanksgiving ...I notice a smell also..3 weeks ago for the first time,, Wow.. Here we go!!! After his Shower I do give him (only going to School,, He has Football after Classes at the end of day)Deodorant to use,,SECRET.. I do not like this at all,My sister told me NOT To give him this !! I remember a friends teliing me to use Baking Soda ,, These Products that are on the Shelves are NOT Healthy for Anyone to use,, ITS ALL ABOUT THE LOVE OF MONEY IN THIS WORLD,,, .. What a mess this world is!!

29 29

If you are concerned about what is safe, try taking a look at the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database online. It will give you an idea of how toxic/risky different products are based on cancer, hormonal, allergen, and other risk factors and what to avoid so you can make informed decisions for your family.

4
0 0

Thank You so much Adriane!!

193 30

Anybody else here REALLY friggin tired of Jean Garrity spouting her product....

I use whats on sale, because honestly, my kids arent bubble children.

3
33 22

Erin, I am sorry if i have offended you in any way, I am not spouting my products really, i simply have answered the questions from my own personal experience. And the bottom line is, it is my opinion, and I do not try to force it on anyone ever. again, sorry if i offended you.

0 8

I think it's a different matter between boys and girls definitely....I have two boys and they have a bath or shower EVERY night, my youngest(8) doesn't need to use anything as yet, and I can't remember when my eldest (now 11) first started to use deoderant....but when you come to pick them up from school and they get in the car and the smell of sweat from that day...fills your car then it is most definitely time to try some anti-perspirant.
My son is very active, and I will not allow his peers the opportunity to tease him for something that you can help...let's face it kids of today don't need much to get their teeth in to before they're tearing strips off some poor kid in the playground.
I can't comment for girls, as a child I can never remember having to use anything myself!?!
Obviously, you need to shop around for the one to suit your child...as long as it doesn't irritate I see nothing wrong...they going to be buying it for themselves all too soon any how! :-)

3
33 22

totally agree with you debbie!

2 0

I posted this on another thread but maybe it's better here......The ABSOLUTE best deodorant is neosporin antibacterial gel at any local drug store. I am sensitive to most products, even the unscented sensitive ones, Tom's of Maine etc, They have made my underarms itch, red and the worst peeling skin. It has been a huge embarrassment to walk around with stinky arm pits and no recourse. Even after I showered and scrubbed, I still had some odor. It was awful! I tried neosporin two weeks ago and I am ecstatic. I use the gel, vaseline type feel. I have not tried the cream, it may not stick as well. I use a very tiny amount and it works incredibly well. No issues of sensitivity!!!!! I am so grateful I have to share and hope I can end someone elses' misery as well. Yeah! to neosporin!

2
0 0

I have 3 girls ages 10, 9 and 7. My oldest daughter began "smelling" around the age of 8 1/2 and so did my middle daughter. My baby girl began smelling around her 7th birthday. For all 3 of them I buy Dove products. Dove is very good for their skin and its gentle. I don't buy the fragrances, just the original for their soap and deodorant. They've all responded very well to it and have been using it for years.

I do agree that somethings we are able to do all natural but kids are mean and when another child smells they have jokes and make fun. I prefer that my child isn't the one being talked about and made fun of.

2
0 26

I say ask your child's doctor what to use and stop arguing with each others opinions. Different things work different with different hormones and body chemistry's.

2
0 26

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/natural-cures-your-most-embarrassing-problems#cmpid_FB_Link From Dr Oz himself: Apple Cider Vinegar for Body Odor On its own, sweat doesn’t smell bad, but once it hits the air and is exposed to bacteria, it begins to break down and emit odor. Apple cider (or white) vinegar is said to lower the pH level of the skin, creating an environment where bacteria cannot thrive. Splash this vinegar under your arms when you get out of the shower.

0 4

So my son started having a little BO around 8 and I hesitated to use a deodorant but my mom suggested I just dust his underarm with baking soda after bathing, and that worked until he got older and I felt comfortable but I use a baking soda based deodorant. The smell is we all get is a bacteria that retain the smell, have your kids wash with an antibacterial soap like Lever or Dial first to combat the order then follow up with a mild deodorant. That advise came from my pediatrician.

2
10 5

Antibacterial soaps are inadvisable, although people continue to recommend them. It's a solution to your immeditae problem, but will have a huge health impact for everyone later on. Anti-bacterial soaps and gels result in antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Better to wash with a regular soap more often -- a little inconvenient perhaps, but a whole lot healthier.

15 10

Arm and Hammer Essentials Natural deoderant- we use the unscented kind. ita all natural contains no aluminum and no parabens. i love the natural scent and it goes on super smooth.

2
0 8

Is the arm and hammer stuff sticky-feeling? I Would live to use natural but I stink with Toms And it makes me feel sticky. Looking for something Closer to natural that is effective and not sticky-feeling!

0 5

My kids shower EVERY night, yet my 12 year old is a very developed girl and the last thing I want is for her to be known for a BO! Deodorant it is! I have tried Tom's products and they gave me problems. Toothpaste made my husbands gums bleed and my teeth did not feel "clean". Tom's deodorant gave me and my daughter rash. Should I be walking around and itching just because the product is natural? At the same time I can not disagree about the toxins. Bottom line is I would rather be intoxicating myself that others with a BO! LOL

2
33 22

my company is much better, safer, more effective and costs less, and even with the toothpaste, you will feel like you just left the dentist!

5 1

OMG all kids from at least 10years old and on need deodorant! A bath will take care of BO for an hour or two and perfume (are you kidding me) covers it up for a while, then just makes it work. If you use it, its fine for your kids. Give me a break. WOW!

2
12 12

are you serious? i admit i gave up reading parenting magazines a few years ago, but what did i miss? my 12-year old has been using my deodorant (secret) for two years and my now-ten-year old is starting to use the same. they get seen regularly by a pediatrician and at NO TIME did a physician ever tell me it's not safe for kids to use regular deodorant. what's the evidenced-based truth?

2
33 22

you would be surprised to know how many personal care products are toxic! I personally was sickened, but now i no longer use what i used to(thankfully) and my family is much healthier for it!!

0 38

My kids are 8 & 11 and they both use deodorants. I've been concerned about what they put on their body with the harmful chemicals and aluminum in a lot of store deodorants so they only use Arbonne products. I'm a Regional VP with Arbonne and our family has had life changing results with these products. This month, Arbonne launched their line of toothpaste, mouthwash, and deodorant. Now I can be sure that my family is protected and using the best ingredients.
Let me know if anyone wants to know more about this. www.natascha.myarbonne.com

1
0 9

My daughter is 18 and son is almost 14. She has been using deodorant since she was in 1st grade because she needed it!! My son was probably 10 before he needed it. Never had any problems with any kind.

1
37 12

Research is starting to link aluminum found in almost all, even as 1st ingredient and some other harsh toxins to cancer in cells, add, adhd, and autism. Our company JORDAN ESSENTIALS, kids & parents LOVE, non-toxic, organic deodorants, and more products without SLS, parabens, and so many more of non-useful but cheaply made products out there. Check out www.myjestore.com/je4u also recommended if altziemers runs in your family. We have over 15 natural organic scents/colors and from baby to anyone, even men with MOUNTAIN CHILL & UNSCENTED ! I been involved with researching a lot of products out there, ones claim to be harmless. WATCH OUT! Very few, and they will charge you a lot. We are very affordable and great, in the news a HOUSEHOLD NAME- Jordan Essentials. Thanks more info. at the link and all products are listed in the glossary there for you to see for yourself. My contact info. is there if you need too. I am part of this wonderful company, because I KNOW HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO USE HEALTHY PRODUCTS, like eating healthy.

1
37 12

We have the ESSENTIAL/HEALTHY products for most any SKIN CONDITION, non-toxic including our amazing deodorants, aluminum and paraben-free!! Please feel free to contact me. We are recognized highly for these and other conditions. Call me too 573-353-2767 I can answer any questions. Definitely pass the word to other with my LINK and get great discounts and even free stuff too! Become a FAN with your email on the link JE4U page for offers. https://www.facebook.com/pages/JE4U/138075702953569?ref=hl https://www.facebook.com/pages/JE4U/138075702953569?ref=hl

54 13

There are some all natural organic brands that can be used. Salt sticks work the best. They are only deodorants, though and not anti-persperants (which are bad in general anyway).

1
43 0

I've been using Secret since I was ten and I like it a lot. They have a mineral line that is actually very nice as well :)

~Anna Blakely Rose

0
2 0

Have you tried this: http://amzn.to/1izSkKy - It works wonders for my 10 year old nephew.

0
4 0

when they start to perspire! and smell!

0
1

Try Primal Pit Paste. All natural and it works. Adult and kid versions. GREAT Stuff!!!

0
0 0

Lavilin is the best! My sister-in-law started buying Lavilin for herself and her kids years ago, and she sold me on the benefits when my kid started getting older. Aluminum is a scary chemical to introduce to your body, and there are reports that show that patients with Alzheimer's patients have a high level of aluminum content in their brains. Lavilin is 100% aluminum-free and only requires application once a week. It's more expensive than normal deodorants, but given the benefits, it is without a doubt worth it!

0
0 0

Have any of you tried Junior Varsity Naturals KIDS DEODORANT? They're AWESOME! Natural deodorant made JUST FOR KIDS. Check them out at www.jvnaturals.com

0
0 0

My daughter is now 11 and she needed deodorant as early as 7. We have been using a natural deodorant for kids called growingbasics and it works very well. Deodorant are said to be better than Antiperspirants because they tend not to interfer with normal body functions, Especially when it comes to our Kids we ought to be very mindful of what we put on their bodies as we are the ones responsible for giving them a good headstart.

0
4 0

I would use young Living toothpaste. SOunds crazy, i know. backing soda based and NO toxins. All natural and I even use it..no odor the entire day...and i still perspire some not crazily. No aluminum...no chemicals. msg me to get more info heather@doggoneoily.com or www.YoungLivingNY.com

0
0 0

It is on an individual basis what is safest and what works best....Yes our bodies need to perspire, but it's not just in our armpits that we do so. It just so happens that is where the odor lurks. Speak to your child's health care provider about what is best for their individual needs. Some are super sensitive, some aren't, and some perspire excessively.

0
0 0

I mixed Corn Starch,Baking Soda,& Baby Powder with Corn Starch(all Equal parts) 1/3rd of each and it works prettywell. sometimes has to be reapplied, but if you want more natural-this is good.
If it doesn't work, then Avon has a Perfumed Liquid deodorant (without Anti-Perspirant). If the child
has a really bad sweating problem with odor, ask your doctor if a Teen deodorant is ok. Arm & Hammer has good Baking soda ones also. One of the four suggestions is gonna work. LOL

0
1 0

Vichy Roll On - not the cream or stick. If you have little children already smelling sweaty, this is your answer. It works different from other products - it doesn't mask the smell, but rather treats the skin problem (I know, I searched the net for months many years ago, trying to find a solution for my child). You can go on and on about what is affordable and natural, but if you have a 5 year old in the house, smelling of deep, old sweat only hours after a bath, you need something that works immediately and every day. Now, 9 years later, my child is a teenager and still uses Vichy every single day. It is a magical product indeed!

0
0 1

I would begin with the same deodorant that you use daily. If it works, then use it. If not, begin with a mild one like Tussy. Another alternative is to purchase a trial size deordorant, so if it does not work then you will not have spent a lot of money. Good luck!

0
0 33

Buy some regular baking soda in the box and use it under the arms after taking a shower. It kills any possible oder under the arms whether you are old or young /male or female.

0
0 2

My son uses Degree. It works wonders!

0
2 9

I have found that in the early stages of the horomone change girls have a strong odor and need a more powerful deodorant to fight the smell. I tried many different kinds for my 10 year old along the journey and found that the best is degree.

0
0 0

We (12 year old daughter & mother) use Weleda's Sage Deodorant & it works very well every day and it smells great! There is also an orange sent. I believe it's a mix of alcohol & essential oil. It is expensive but the glass spray bottle lasts 3 months for us both combined. It's also a really refreshing spritz in general! Found at boutique skin care shops or health food stores.

0
43 11

Toms of Maine stick deoderant, in several scents and unscented. very natural but works. I use it. My daughter is 16 and eats cleaner than I do which is pretty clean. not even the chips I eat sometimes. But she smells aven with several different doederants we have tried. she does not smell much until she exercises, and then a shower does the trick. I have her switch the brand some, maybe her body gets used to one? besides toms she uses desert essence roll on. we will try the arm and hammer natural essentials sounds good.

0
6 29

My daughter works for one of the top Dermatologist in Texas and his recommendation for anyone is a daily washing, or after strenuous activity, and applying alcohol under the arms with a cotton ball or pad with a light moisturizer if needed afterwards. He says it is very detrimental to your health to use deodorant or antiperspirant. My husband and 14 year old son have absolutely no odor at all, in fact less than with the traditonal methods, and there have been no issues at all. Aluminum is one of the suspected leading causes of Alzheimer's and several other diseases. We have used Tom's in the past, but it has not worked as well as the alcohol. In fact, no other product has been as effective. :)

0