What stage and age do you have tonsils removed?

Deciding to have your child's tonsils removed can be a difficult decision. When should tonsils be removed?

11 23

Only get the removed if absolutely necessary. If there is not a medical concern like constant strep throat or anything then keep them.

4
0 4

I think that the decision to have the tonsils removed should be: How many times is the child sick with Tonsillitis or an abnormality. What is the recommendation of an ENT. And finally what you think is best for your child.

3
20 20

This is decided by your child's medical history and their physician. My daughter's tonsils were chronically infected, she had multiple strep infections in one year, and her tonsils were so large that they were "kissing" and obstructing her airway while sleeping. We actually wanted her tonsils removed before her pediatrician did, which led to our seeking the opinion of an ENT. Luckily her heavy snoring was not obstructive until a night or two prior to her surgery. I would lay in bed and listen to her horrible snores all night long to make sure she did not stop breathing or have prolonged periods between snores!

That being said...I know many families that have had tonsillectomies at various ages. Younger kids do MUCH better in all aspects of the surgery! It is true that the older the kid, the more difficult and miserable the recovery. Unfortunately, they didn't have problems until later in their young lives. SO, it really is up to the kid and whether they are sick or not. The tonsils help with immunity, but when they are chronically infected they cause more harm than good and do not work properly!

Good luck with making this decision for your child/family!

2
0 20

My son had tonsils and Adenoids out at age 3 they were so large he was having trouble breathing and been fine every since he is now 12. My daughter had her adenoids out at 3 but the Dr did not see a reason to remove her tonsils. I had mine out when I was 5 and rarely ever sick so I don't think it is bad to have them removed if your doctor suggests it.

2
89 19

I didn't realize that this was an elective surgery?
I would not have it done for my children unless there was a need for it tho. The tonsils are there for a reason. If there is a need for them to come out, the younger the better! I had chronic tonsillitis as a child, and my doctor simply told my parents that "they dont do that anymore." and that was the end of that. I really wish they had taken me to an ENT or another doctor because I still have problems with throat infections that turn ear infections and as a result have lost hearing because of it. I also have built up an immunity to penicillin ( from over exposure) and I worry about it turning into an allergy. But since Im an adult Im too scared to have it done now.
But I wouldn't just have them out to have them out, or because of the occasional throat infection. It should be a decision you talk with your doctor and also with an ENT about.

1
187 51

I was the same way--lots of tonsillitis as a child but they didn't remove tonsils anymore at that time and now as an adult they are a constant source of pain and problem. I'm scared to have it done too b/c I've heard it's very hard to recover from as an adult.

0 4

both my boys suffered badly with throat & ear infections from 4/6 months old. Kristian had his removed @ 18mths after living in the hospital for 6mths and Nicholas had his removed at 12ths of age!! I was becoming very best friends with the hospital staff & the ENT Specialist and the bank balance was not looking happy either what with anticbiotics and pain medicine and drs bills. We were both exhausted as well as there were alot of sleepless nights. Neither of them have looked back. They are both very rarely sick. They both recovered very quickly I think maybe due to being so young they healed sooner.

1
0 6

My son had his out right before his 3rd birthday. I did not want it but he had a moderate obstruction and had been sick since the day he was born. We tried tubes and that helped while they were in but the minute they were out he was sick with Strep back to back. So far it has been a month 1/2 and he has started taling so much more, drinking milk like crazy and no illnesses yet. I had mine out at 5 and had no health issues like I did when I had them. So I guess it is a blessing for him now.

1
3 9

None of my nine children have had their tonsils out. I almost had mine out at age 19, but I am so thankful I decided against it. Your tonsils filter out lots of junk and are an essential part of your anatomy. Keep them at any cost!

1
1

my son has now had tonsillitis for the 4th time in a year.......................he is almost 2, is it possible to have his tonsils removed at his age?

0
25 0

If your child is having alot of problems with his/her tonsils as in Tonsilitis its' best to have them taken out as early as possible. The only reason I say this is it is a lot more painful as children get older.
At one time it used to be a 1-2 wk. admittance, now they are basically in at most overnight if not just day surgery. If you are finding that they are getting strep throat, tonsilitis much to often and you Physician is saying this is not good, you either trust your Physician or you dont'. If you have alot of faith in he/she then go with what they are telling you. If your child is missing alot of school or getting infection much to often then I would definetly have them removed. If you child is only an infant, by this I mean roughly 2-3yrs. I would wait a while only because I feel that they have them in and out so quickly (sometthing I dont' agree on), however if they are around 5 or older I would go with the surgery. Make sure you have popsicles, soft foods, ginger ale etc. You will do the right thing. It is your child, your know what he/she is going through and I'm sure you will do the most intelligent thing. They are over it in no time at all. Good Luck to both of you! :-)

0
55 0

My daughter was about 3 and my son was not quite 3 when they had their taken out - very simple procedure.

0
63 0

only get them out if it has to be done! there is no right or wrong age hope this helped..

0
2 0

Only if they need them done!!

0
56 20

Remember, it's still a surgery, with all of the problems and potential side effects that come with it.Some of these are infections, Dr.s and others mistakes, even death. I don't think it's a matter of age, but how badly the child needs the surgery. I needed mine removed right before 6th grade, and haven't regretted it, but I was very sick regularly and missed a lot of school, not to mention the pain. Good luck, whatever you decide!

0
2 15

i had mine out at forty it was horrendous...my son had his out at 6 not a bother...better by far when young he does not even get a cold now he is 8

0
1 36

When I was young, it was almost a right of passage. Most people I knew had them out by the time they were 5. My brothers both got theirs out at 5 but they took mine out when I was 3 because I was so sick all the time. All three of us have had very healthy lives since, no occurances of strep, throat infections, frequent illnesses. I have one friend who never had hers out and has lived in misery her whole life with larengitis, tonsulitis, and strep. But she doesn't get sick just frequent enough for the docs to take hers out.

Now, I have 9 children, and none have had theirs out. They no longer do it when you turn 5, and you have to be almost chronically sick for them to even suggest it. We have to deal with strep and all the other illnesses constantly with the kids, but there's nothing we can do. Based on my own experience, I'd jump at the chance to get theirs' taken out!

0
13 78

I didn't have mine removed till I was in college (20). I kept getting sick and the doctor suggested I have them removed. My oldest daughter had her tonsils removed and adnoids because of a breathing problem she had, she now breathes better and sleeps better. She was 3 yrs old & is now 8. My other two, now 4 & 5, still have theirs. There has been no need to have them removed.

I guess I'm with most ladies, If you don't need them removed for medical reasons then you should leave them alone.

0
10 13

There isn't a time for tonsillectomy... It's not a right of passage or barMitsfa!
There are MEDICAL guidelines;
http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health/medical/2011-01-07-tonsillitis-surgery_N.htm?csp=34news&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomHealth-TopStories+%28News+-+Health+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Twitter

0
1 10

i think only if the child gets sick qiut offen couse of them els it should be a problem i have four kids and only have had one child removed due to getting sick

0
0 11

The ENT Dr. will have the final decision. The doctor will tell you that the recovery is easier when children are younger. Of course the child needs to have reoccuring health problems that warrant taking them out i.e., reoccuring strep, snoring etc. My son just had his removed last week. He is 15 and has recovered well. Every case is different. It is important to do research to be prepared for any scenario.

0
24 144

when the dr's think its best!

0
24 144

that being said my son had his removed at 6 because of so many issues and illnesses. his was enlarged VERY badly and wouldnt stop growing so it was causing him to not breath at night when his throat would get dry and they would close his throat off. he is much better now than before! but its not something to take lightly . consider all options before opting to have part of your child cut out.

31 52

Tonsillectomies are not something you do like a first haircut. Your child's Dr will let you know if there is a need.

That said, my oldest still has his (he's 22) & my youngest had her tonsils & adenoids removed at about age 3.

0
0 29

I had my tonsils take out when I was 8. It was supposed to stop all my throat problems (I used to have tonsilitus every 2 weeks) However it was the start of a load more problems, I still suffer from frequent throat infactions so don't feel I have gained anything from having mine taken out. My son went through a bout of having tonsilitus every month for 8 months. I was told he needed to have it at least 6 times in a year for them to consider taking them out but even though he had it 8 times they were still not keen to take his out. He still has his, as he has tonsilitus only every now and again. I am pleased that he hasn't had to have his taken out as in my case it isn't always the end of your troubles with your throat.

0
11 13

Oh bless. There is nothing worse then having tonsiltus. But it's nice to see that the tonsils didn't have to come out. Mine were a bain all my life, they were enlarged and I found it very hard to breathe right, I too kept getting some sort of thoart infection. Then I found that my tonsils were riddled with holes and got infected every other week. I was 14 when I first went in with the reason that I couldn't breathe right, but sadly I suffered a fit. So it was cancelled, thoughtout the years the holes appeared and out they came at 19.

11 13

Both my kid still have theirs because of no problems so far. I had mine removed at about 19 ( I think). Wasn't nice either I was of the unlucky ones and got an infection.

0
4 1

I had mine removed in the 3rd grade due to regular occurrences of Strep and Tonsillitis. So far all three of my kids still have theirs (10, 6,4) and have never had more than mild ear infections. So they will remain until that changes.

0
0 14

I had my daughter's taken out at age 2 or 3 with her adnoids, bad decision. Her adnoids grew back and at age 19 had to have them taken out again. The reason we did it so early was she had so many illness's we had to.

0
0 12

Both my girls had theirs out in kindergarten. I almost wish we had done it sooner. It has made such a difference in their lives. No more strep or constant ear infections. They were ages 5 and 6 at the time of surgery.

0
30 15

Both of my boys had their tonsils out one at the age of 6or7 the other was only 3. In some ways it was easier with the one that was older but we could not wait for the younger one to have his out. It all depends on how bad the tonsils are sometimes there is no other option but to do it. I hope all goes well. Just listen to your mothers instinct and don't let the nurses or doctor do something that doesn't feel right.

0