What time does baby or toddler go to bed?

What's normal when it comes to bedtimes? Have different bedtimes worked better for your child than other? How has their bedtime changed as they have gotten older?

2 13

I have a 3 & 1/2 year old son, and he goes to bed between 9-10:3O & wakes up at 8am.I'm a stay home mom, & agree with earlier comments from other mothers about it sounding "crazy" but it works out grea for us as a family. We get to spend quality time, as my husband gets off work at 7:30 & he wouldn't get to spend time with him if he slept earlier. He takes a 1-2 hr nap everyday between 1-3 & he's a very healthy, happy, extremely active child. People shouldn't judge others living environment since we all live in different ones. My son is a heart baby with chronic heart disease & must eat more than the typical kid his age. Fitting that extra meal at the end of the day makes a big differenc. We all have different reasons for doing things a certain way. God bless.

23
1 12

Love your sincerity and honesty. Different families...Different things work. Our household is pretty much on the same schedule as yours...same deal with Dad...stay at home Mom...and Addie is almost 4.

1 57

I have 7 kids and they all go to bed at the same time on the weekdays which is 8 pm and on the weekends they go to bed at 10 pm but the little ones always crash first at around 8:30. I have 11, 10, 8, 7, 4, 2 and 2

7
25 15

Wow good job on the excellent routine!(and even some fun on the weekends :P) When do they get up if it's not a trouble to answer? Thanks, all best

5 0

Mine are 5 and 3 and they are tucked in by 7:30.

7
26 13

I feel deeply comforted reading everybody's posts about their child's bedtimes. I am a stay at home mum, and our 18 month old sleeps at 10pm, and wakes up around 9am. He gets 13-14 hours of sleep per day and is an extremely healthy and active boy. The 10pm bedtime is the most sustainable schedule for our family as our child gets to see and spend quality times with his dad and both sets of grandparents, which is not possible if he went to bed earlier. I have tried putting my son to sleep at 7:30pm, 8pm and 9pm and the routine was not sustainable.

There are clearly 2 camps - the morning people who put their child to sleep earlier so to start their day earlier, and the night owls who put their child to bed later. As long as your child gets the recommended amount of sleep for their age, it doesn't matter whether its 7pm or 10pm. There is no such thing as 'crazy' if it works out for your family. The only crazy thing is to continue doing something that doesn't work for your family, and you keep doing it just because others tell you so and drive yourself into a knot because of it.

5
3 24

both my kids (4 and 22 months) go to bed at 7pm. My 4 year old is up anywhere from 6am-8am, and my 22 month old anywhere from 7-8:30 or 9am. I give my kids 150% of me during the days, so after dinner and baths/books....its bedtime so mommy has some me time....not to mention I started back to school this past fall, so I try to do a lot of my work when they go to bed.

5
1 89

I have a 4 and 5 year old and they generally go to bed between 7 and 7.30am, they wake up between 7.30 and 8. I try to stick to the same routine but it does not always work especially going in to the warmer months and daylight savings (we are in Australia) they don't go to sleep as easily. Sometimes it is 9.30 before they fall asleep. You can not force your child to sleep just as we cannot force ourselves to sleep. It is much easier to get them to sleep during Winter and we just have to do what works for each individual child. Good luck all.

4
0 9

I'm from Australia too, and we have the same issue in regards to daylight savings. It's so true, you just can't force children to fall asleep at 7pm if the sun is still shining outside - in their minds it's still daytime, and they have already had a 'daytime nap'!

10 18

My 2 year old goes to bed around midnight. I know that sounds crazy, but it works great for us, and here's why:

1) we all go to bed at the same time so she doesn't feel left out of our evening activities
2) it gives us the flexibility to go to evening get-togethers with family and events like our Bible Study
3) she doesn't wake up till around 10 or 11am the next day, which gives her plenty of sleep and allows me get work done in the morning before she wakes up

Sounds nuts, but it has worked really well for our family.

4
27 5

Completely insane! Your 2 year old doesn't need to be a part of all activities, especially when he has little idea of what he is missing when he is asleep. Sleep, schedules, naps, it's just too important! JMO!

117 0

My daughter is 2 1/2 and goes to bed between 7-7:30, with a 2 hour nap after lunch. My son is almost 6 months and his bedtime varies between 6-8 depending on how well he napped that day. I'm still struggling to get him on a good nap schedule. Both sleep straight through the night until 6:30-7.

3
6 15

My son is 23 months. He faithfully goes into his toddler bed at 9pm with his favorite stuffy and water. Milk and juice is not an option after teeth are brushed for the night. Sometimes he doesn't even drink the water. Sometimes he will test us and get out of his bed and play in his room usually when we walk by he runs back in his bed. Once we quiet down the house he gets back in his bed and sleeps. I would say he falls asleep between 930-945 according to the monitor noise. Sometimes sooner. He wakes around 830 or 9 which works good for me to get him
Up for breakfast and I get ready for work. Dad is the stay at home
Dad so I do the morning routine before I'm off for the day and we do bedtime routine together. It just depends on your lifestyle if I had work at 5 am like some
I think we would be pushing for an earlier bedtime.

3
30 31

We have the stay at home Dad routine as well - and Mom going to work usually between 9 and 10 in the morning. I do her morning routine on all but the rare 7 am mornings and Daddy might do the bedtime book and wind-down on the nights I have those 7 ams the next day....

30 31

Our daughter is four and for several years now she has been going to bed between 10:30 and midnight, and up again at between 7:30 and 8:30 in the morning. We can't get her to sleep longer - and if we put her to bed earlier (as has been suggested) we get roused out of bed between 4 and 5 in the morning with no reprieve... considering we were both 'night owls' she probably just comes by it naturally. I'll add that she is a naturally happy-go-lucky child and does not seem to need more sleep to keep this good mood.

3
2 20

we quite have the same thing...my 4 yr old son goes to bed at midnight.whenever i try to get him to sleep earlier,let's say 9pm or 10,he wakes up at midnight and he stays up till 2 or 3am,i cant get him back to sleep,i tried leaving him inside the room with lights off but even after an hour or 2 he's still awake,i don't understand why...but despite of these he's still an energetic boy,i don't see any effect on him...

0 17

My son goes to bed usually around 9:30 -10:00pm. I can't imagine putting my child to bed at 6 or 7 at night. He'd be up at 3 in the morning. I suppose whatever works for you go for it. Oh and we get up at about 6:30 as I work as a school van driver. Some kids just don't need as much sleep as others. Every child and family is different.

2
0 3

In Greece where I am from 7.30 is considered afternoon my daughters 2 & 4 sleep around 9-9:30 and wake up around 7:30- 8:00 on their own. They take a 2 hour nap around 2:30, this program works very well for my family and the kids are getting all the rest they need!!!
* the nap is very important, if for some reason they miss it they go to sleep winning around 7:30

2
49 4

Both of my kids (ages 18 mos and 4 years) typically go to bed between 7 and 8 pm. The four year old no longer takes daytime naps, so she especially can't be allowed to stay up too late, though from time to time, we might let her stay up till 9 (or if my parents are watching her, she is usually up until we get home lol). They both wake up around 8 am give or take an hour or two, so they get plenty of sleep, especially since they both usually spend the first 30 minutes or so in thier rooms playing with a toy or talking to themselves. As they get older, I will probably keep my son to the same bed time, since he usually only takes one long nap per day, but my daughter will get to stay up later on weekends since she won't have school on saturday or sunday. I likely wont change it much until they're both in high school.

2
3 24

My son is 3.5 yers old and he goes to bed btw 9pm and 10pm. I work some late nights so out evening routines starts at varies times but none the less he has a routine. Dinner, shower, time with me, and then bed. It works for us and I think everyone should keep in mind that every family and child are different, so just because we all don't do the same thin doesn't make it right or wrong or as many say crazy.

2
3 21

My son's four and he goes to bed by 9 and he's really asleep by 11.

2
7 21

that's my daughter. It takes forever for to go to sleep.

17 16

We start about 7:30 p.m. and my two boys (2 and 3 ½) are in bed by 8:15. They read books and have quiet time and when they are tired they turn out the light, which is around 9:00. We get them up about 6:00 a.m. on the four days that I work.

2
26 32

My son (7 months) goes around 8pm where as my daughter (2 yrs) goes anywhere from 9-11

1
0 40

I have two children aged 3 and 2 we start bath time around quart to six, teeth brushed and story and cuddle time and they are in bed for 6.30 pm and get up around 6 because we have to leave the house before 7am on weekday at the weekend I tried putting them down a little later but they ask to go to bed by the latest at 7pm. Im a single parent so have jobs to do when they are in bed before calming down for bed myself. I think it depends completely on your situation and what routine works for you. We have to be up and around early in a morning and the kids need their sleep so 6.30 works for me. But everyone is different

1
1 3

My nearly 4 year old son goes to bed around 10 - 10:30pm with me. He stays at home with his father during the day who is a night owl. It would not work in our household if he was up at 6am every morning, my husband could not cope. Whether he has had a big day and falls asleep at 9pm or we are out and about and he goes to sleep at 11pm, he will sleep 11 hours. He is happy and healthy and this works for our family even though my mother for one frowns upon it. We love spending time together so don't feel the need to get him into bed for a break and both love the fact that we can have a sleep in on the weekend when I don't have to go to work. If you pull the blinds down and make it dark I can get a sleep in until 10:30 . . . . yahoo!!!! Whatever works in your household as long a everyone is healthy and happy is fine by me. I don't judge those with kids in bed at 6:30pm it is their choice but have to laugh when they whinge they are up at 5am . . . what do you expect???? My son is extremely healthy, beautifully natured and well behaved so we are comfortable with our choices :-).

1
0 0

My son is 4 years and very active, he rarely naps during the day. His bedtime is 7.30 pm. This allows me to also have some ME time at the end of the day.

1
55 20

My son is 3 and he goes to bed between 9 and 10pm. I try hard for anytime before 9:30pm but sometimes it doesn't happen that way. And if he goes to bed too late he wakes up cranky. I wish he could go to bed a little later though because his dad gets off most days between 8 and 10 so that doesn't leave much time for them to spend together. He gets up at 7am to go to school and takes at nap at 12pm I think. I can't remember what time his teacher told me but I'm sure it's at 12pm. On the weekends I let him stay up a little later and sleep in in the morning. This schedule works for us.

1
2 18

I have two daughters 3 1/2 and 20 months they have different bed times my youngest is in bed around 930 945 then it allows for my husband and I to spend alone with our oldest. Then hits the pillow around 1030 11. This allows her to sleep a little bit longer in the morning so that we can spend some alone time with our youngest. It works for us as my husband does shift work so putting them to bed at 7 or 8 he wouldn't see them for four days which is insane. Kootos to you who can get Your kids to sleep at 7 but breaking routine will kick u in the butt at some point. Not trying to be rude but like some people have said we all have different lives if our kids are healthy leave it be.

1
3 18

Bedtimes gotten easier as my kids have gotten older. I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old who are in bed at 7 and asleep by 7.30 and on the go at 7am having had an amazing sleep.

1
1 13

I have four kids, 8,6,3,9 months. The baby is down by 730 at the latest, then the rest are in bed by 815 pm. This way I can focus my attention on the older ones once baby has been nursed to sleep. They are all up between 7-8am each morning. The weekends are different though, depending on what's going on, if theres no school they can stay up a bit later.

1
36 10

I think it depends both on the family situation and on the child. My 19 month old son is in bed by 8:30 if not just a tad earlier every night. This is just the time that works best for him. If we put him to bed any earlier, he'd wake up at 5! Putting him to bed later results in the same waking time at 8:30 but with a cranky kid. He sleeps about 1 1/2 hrs in the afternoon around noon. He's healthy, happy, and very active. I have some friends with a 17 month old daughter who stays up later than my son but she also sleeps later. Follow your child's cues and do what works best for him/her and your family.

1
0 0

Well I have two little girls, a 2 year old and a 1 year old. We try to have them in bed at 8 o'clock on the dot every night, and they sleep until between 9am-10am every single morning. I'm not sure why they seem to sleep so much longer than other children, but it seems to work well for them. They are happy and healthy little girls. They do take a nap during the day, I lay them both down anywhere between 2-3pm, they usually sleep exactly an hour and wake up about the same time.

I do think it is extremely important for kids to have routines and schedules, while I believe that, I also believe that a schedule should fit what is best for the individual family. If I felt like keeping them up with me until midnight was best for our schedule, I definitely would.

1
5 12

my daughter is 2yrs 8months and goes to bed between 7 and 8:30 generally the latter is whilst in her dads at the weekend i try have her in bed for 7pm and asleep by about 7:30 she wakes at about 8:30am but may wake during the night for a hot bottle not to drink but to cuddle sadly this is her version of a hot water bottle yet she will not sleep with an actual hot water bottle

1
32 42

The trick is finding out what works best for them. I am a night owl so that is the schedule my 4yr old son was on as a baby, but his internal clock is now telling me that he likes to be up at 7:30 no matter what. So I make sure to get him sleeping by 9:30 at the latest. I worry about the information that says that humans get their best sleep before midnight.... does anyone know anymore about this? I can not sleep before 1 and am usually a bit on the tired side. More exercise is needed I guess.
Anyway, as for getting babies to sleep, regularity will make that happen, the night routine on a regular basis is a great calming strategy. And I find that a good giggle before turning out the lights works wonders. When my son was a baby, I realized sometimes his nerves needed a release before he settled down. Babies sometimes cry to do this but we realized that laughing it all out would put him to sleep just as efficiently as a good cry.

1
14 0

Between 7:30 8 pm tried to get to go a bit later and it was horrible she just couldnt handdle it my poor darling.Just started the cry out method ..didint want to do it but after trying everything else and feeling very rotten did, and only have done it 2 nights and shes sleeping so much better, longer intervals and still is the happy baby shes always been :) mind I give her lots of attention and extra kisses .x

1
4 23

I have two 3 year olds, and a 5 year old. They all GET IN bed at 8, give or take a few minutes of course. and we usually are up around 5ish. (Dual Military Family) Our 3 yo boy & 5 yo boy go to sleep just fine, usually passed out by 830. However our 3 yo girl.. Will be up in her closet, singing loudly, talking to her stuffed animals, D all of the above until 10 - 11.

1
3 10

I have a 22 month old and a 6 week old....my 22 month old goes to bed anywhere from 8 to 9.30pm and he sleep untill about 9am...this works out for us as a family as i normaly have a 8am feed and means i get time to feed and get my newborn ready b4 my older son has his breakfast and then its his turn getting dressed..this also worked out when i was pg as i wasnt a very good sleeper at night so ment i coundnt get to sleep untill about 3am and ment i was more ready for the day with his late get up..i am now also a stay at home so works well for us..even when i did work i woked afternoons so still worked out..every family is different some need early risers with going to work and others as said need to put there kids to bed later so there dad/ mum can see them if they work later shifts...you have to do whats best for your family as everyone is different

1
18 10

My kids are ALWAYS in bed between 7-8. I need my down time without babies. I started this time from the day both of them were born, they wake between 7-730 and it works for us. We are usually off to an activity and out of the house by 9 each morning.

1
15 66

My 2 year old is typically in bed by 8 p.m. and during the week we wake her around 7 a.m. (unless she wakes up on her own before that). We have to wake her because we both work and we have to take her to a caregiver during the day. On the weekends she may sleep until 8 a.m, but that is very rare. She has been on this routine for as long as I can remember. She typically does not give us any problems going to bed. My husband travels a lot, so there are may days that he gets home after she is already in bed. However, he makes it up in quality of time, not quanitity of time spent with her. On occassion she will be up later than 8 p.m., but that is typically only when we have to attend something in the evenings and she typically falls asleep in the car on the way home and we have to carry her to bed. This does not happen often. We try to plan a majority of our family / event time on the weekends, when we all have the time to enjoy the time we have together.

1
8 7

My 3 year old son goes to bed about 9-9:30, sometimes he is up at 6 when i am getting ready for work. I wish I could get him to sleep a little longer other than keeping him up longer, But I get up at 5:30 so I need to go to bed about 9 also. He gets his nap during the day.

1
18 0

Our 1 year old goes to bed at about 9-9:30 our 2,3, and 5 year old go to bed between 9 and 10:30 sometimes a little later, and our 5 month old doesn't go to bed till about 1 or 2 he refuses to go to sleep till daddy gets home at midnight!

1
1 33

My son is 11 months old. He goes to bed at 9:00PM most nights. Wakes at 830-900 am. Works great for us. Sometimes he sleeps until 10!!

1
22 6

I generally put my daughter to bed at 8:00 p.m. However, if she has taken a late nap, then I will put her to bed at 9:00 p.m. I must add that she is now 2 1/2 years old and is sleeping in a toddler bed. Therefore, bed time has become challenging, since she can easily get out of the bed at her will and come into our bedroom. I am learning that if I am aiming for 8:00, she will not go to sleep until 8:30, as I have to keep taking her into her room and put her into her bed.

Hope this is helpful for you.

1
15 13

put a baby gate in front of her room door..

4 15

My 22 month old goes to bed at 9pm and gets up anywhere between 7am-9am. If we put him to bed any earlier, he's up at 4am to start his day and I'm just not ready to start my day that early, especially when I do all my work when he goes to bed. And I am a stay at home mom. My pediatrician said 9pm is a fine bedtime for him and it works well for our family.

1
1 34

My youngest who is a 16 month old girl goes to bed between 9pm and 10pm. Usually right around 9:30pm. She gets up in the morning between 7am and 9am. Usually right around 8am. She also takes a nap. Her naps starts sometime between 12pm and 2pm. Usually right around 1pm. She normally gets up 2 to 3 hours later. She also goes to a preschool 2 days a week (Mondays and Thursdays). She leaves on the school bus at about 8:30am and gets from on the bus at about 1pm.

1
15 13

My daughter is 16 months and she goes to bed at 7:30 p.m. No later than that. She wakes up around 6 a.m. in a great mood.

1