What time is a good bedtime for 5 year old?

You don't want to let them stay up too late, but they are getting older. What's a reasonable bedtime for a child 5 years old?

14 1

8pm. But when school is all day, start the bedtime routine around 7pm and so the child is asleep at 8. ( Assuming school starts at 8am and the child would need to be awake by 7am) Most kids need approx. 10 hours of sleep at this stage. Make sure there is no napping during the day and are active indoors and out.

13
14 1

When it comes to time changes, make sure to start implementing 15 minute increments of bedtime changes over about 2 weeks and when the clocks go back or forward, the change in schedule is not soo drastic.

1 7

Yes,I agree with some of the other posts. All children are different. I think between 7 and 8 is good for most children, although we tend to be earlier in the winter and later in the summer. I think the most important thing is to pay attention to your own child and how their behaviour alters with different bed times. Get a nice before bed routine in place to help your child make the mental shift from day to night. I also feel as adults, parents need a switch off time. So if your child is able to deal with a slightly later bedtime let them read in their room for a while until they feel ready to sleep.

10
11 50

6.30pm i think!! my children and feed and bathed by 6 :) even my 7 8 and 9 year olds are all in bed asleep by 7.30pm

9
35 0

What!!?!? How are you able to put them to bed so early? And what time do you eat dinner then? We usually eat around 7:30 or 8, then finish homework until 9 or 9:30, and then watch a little TV, and then get ready for bed around 10. My 8 year old twins usually go to bed at 10:30, and my 14 year old at 12 or 12:30. The twins have to get up at 7:30 to go to school at 8:00, and my 14 year old gets up at 8:50 to get to school at 8:30.

14 4

I'm so impressed with all of you who can get your kids to bed so early! It is really hard for me because I work evenings and the kids just won't listen to my husband. ( I suspect it is his issue not theirs.) My 6 yr old goes to bed around 10pm to 11pm. My 5 yr old twins are often up until 1am. We are all up around 9am. It is made even harder by the fact that my teen and one twin are night time people (they get more active and awake as the evening goes on) and the 6 yr old and one twin are morning people. This summer I will be hard at work on my husband and the kids to get them all in bed by 9pm and work toward earlier so that when school starts they will all be going to bed at a decent hour. Every child is different even within the same family! Good Luck!

7
2 54

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. This worked for my twins, although now there is a twin version. My twins are almost 5 and are in bed and asleep before 7:30. Good luck.

3 1

My girls start getting ready for bed at 7, bath, brush teeth, story time, snuggle then at 8 it's bed time. Works really well for us.

7
0 16

My daughter is almost 5 and goes to bed between 800-900pm and wakes up at 700pm but I usually have to wake her up. My 1 year old Goes to bed at 800pm and is up on his own by 700am. They both sleep in the same room with classical music on at bedtime to help them relax. I have never had a problem with the bedtime routine with either one of my children. I started the sleep schedule right from birth and stayed very consistent with it.

3
0 21

I have a 6 year old and I implemented a solid bedtime routine about 2 years ago. 7:00pm I start the wind down, making sure he isn't doing anything too active and I remind him that shower time is at 8:00pm. Around 7:45pm I give him the 15 minute warning, and promptly at 8:00 he showers. Between shower time and bedtime he can have a small bedtime snack usually consisting of milk and a few goldfish crackers or something similar. We usually read a book and sometimes I allow him a little bit of TV, but it's lights off promptly at 8:30PM. Friday and Saturdays I allow a later "lights out" time, but he's so accostumed to his routine that most of the time he falls asleep on schedule.

It might seem extremely regimented to some, but it works best for us as he knows exactly what to expect and when. My son was diagnosed with ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder and having a firm and predictable structure works best for him (and me). We seem to have gotten past the day of bedtime battles.

3
2 9

I have a kindergartener and a first grader. We start our bedtime routine at 8pm with lights out at 9pm. They wake up at 8am to get ready for school that starts at 9am. Living next door to the school has it's advantages (a 4 min walk). They become crabby girls if they get less than 11 hours of sleep.

3
0 20

We're the same. My 6yo daughter is in bed by 8 and hopefully asleep by 9ish. Up at 8 for school that starts at 9! :)

0 6

My 4 yo has NEVER and I emphasize NEVER been a good sleeper- she gave up naps around 2 years old. She can stay awake from 6am to midnight and run around like the crazy little girl she is. Routines? I've tried and tried. I've been a SAHM her whole life and no matter how hard I've tried scheduling everything in her life, sleeping is one thing she does when she wants to, not when I want her to. Currently, she sleeps from 10:30-7:30-8. One very wise momma told me that when they're teenagers they're never going to want to wake up and not to fret about sleep. Good luck!

2
1 0

I feel like bedtime routine starts when we all walk in the door! After dinner they need to start the routine. In bed by 8:00 with a story, lights out 8:30, and hopefully asleep by 9:00. Activity nights are pretty tricky! Once summer hits it's all out the door on days there isn't a camp or daycare scheduled.

2
0 4

I agree...I treat the WEEK like THIS...it is literal WORK...hahaha...from the time you wake up until you lay your head down....routine, routine, routine!!!!

0 31

I would think 9 would be a safe time. It's not too late, & not too early.

2
0 16

It depends on the child's and family's schedule. The average 5-year old needs 10-12 hours of sleep and bedtime may depend on the morning schedule. Our 5-year old has always been an early-to-bed kid, and until very recently, was asleep between 7:00 and 7:30 pm and usually up between 6:30 and 7:00 am. In the last month or so, however, he's finally dropped a bit of night-time sleep, getting to sleep around 8:00 pm and getting up between 6:30 and 7:00 am (usually closer to 6:30), which is great since his school starts on the early side (8:15 am) for pre-school. Sometimes I WISH he would sleep in, but he just doesn't, so we do everything we can (most of the time) to honor that routine since it works for him and for us. Having said that, some kids are just on a later schedule, and if their morning routine starts later, that's great! When I think it starts to become an issue is when the child and/or family's night-time routine means a later bedtime, but an early start for school means the child may not get enough night-time sleep.

2
35 0

I really am surprised at how early parents are able to put their kids to bed. I thought that anywhere in the 8-9 range was early, but now I find parents sneaking into the 7 or even 6 range! How is this even possible?

2 28

every child is different so you need to find how much sleep your 5 yr old needs. My eldest (when he was 5) would be in bed by 730 but was waking at 630. my youngest would be in bed at 8 but slept till 700. It also depends on how active their days are. If they have been really busy they may need to be in bed earlier or mine would just get ratty.

2
0 9

Depends on when they need to wake up. Depending on the child they need between 10 and 12 hours of sleep a night, so count backwards from when you need them to be up in the morning to what time that would be. My 6 year old goes to sleep by 730, but her 4 year old sister is 830. That's because my 6 year old is an early riser, usually by 6, but my four year old gets up around 7. Same amount of sleep required by them but slightly shifted for two very different sleepers! And remember the more sleep deprived a child is the harder it can be for them to GET to sleep. This is said after 15 years working in early childhood, and a university degree in Child and Youth care. The more exhausted and sleep deprived a child is the harder it is for them to wind down and sleep, which is a vicious cycle. Sometimes you have to start with an earlier bedtime to make sure they are getting enough sleep and then adjust it by 15 minutes every 2 weeks or so until you see what time works best with your child and family.

1
0 18

I find that 8 is almost to late but they still fight going to bed. I start the routine at 6 with dinner, bath, jammies, teeth, story and lights out!

1
0 24

8:30

1
0 8

My 5 year old son is going to bed around 6.30pm but when he has brushed his teeth, and read a story it's 7 pm. He's always in sleep very soon, within 10-15minutes. He needs at least a 12 hour sleep at night.

My 7 year old boys(he turns 8 in 3 weeks) is going to bed between 8pm-8.30. He usually sleeps 10/10,5 hours at night.

1
22 17

After reading many responses I laugh. My children do NOT sleep long and never have. I have tried putting them to bed at the listed times, 7 and 8, to only be woken up at 4 am by both children bright eyed and bushy tailed. LOL My children are usually in bed at 9 pm unless they have taken a nap which then it is closer to 10 pm. My pediatrician stated my children are abnormal but there is really nothing that can be done, it is just their inner time clock. LOL

When my son was a baby, he only slept 10 hours a day and my daughter slept 13 hours a day. Needless to say I am still tired and probably will be until they go into college. LOL

Good luck and my personal opinion....put your foot down and put them in their beds by 9 pm.

1
2 20

When our kids entered kindergarten, a note came home from the principal/nurse reminding parents that good nutrition and sleep are critical to academic performance and a child's ability to concentrate. In addition to info on nutritional choices, the letter stated that young children, preschool to early elementary, often for older kids, too, need an average of 10-12 hrs per sleep each night. Most 3-4yos and younger need more, up to 13 hrs/day, as they may nap, too. So, if a child must be up by 7am to eat, dress and catch a bus, a good bed time is no later than 8pm. My son needs 11-12hrs per night at 6yo, while his twin needs 10-11, though she gets tired if she only gets 10, esp during sports season. We try to be consistent on weekends, but it isn't always easy. My son will sleep late to get his 11-12 hrs. My daughter is up by 7/7:30 regardless. Tough thing with twins, as they won't allow the other to stay up later. So, we go by my daughter's bed time and my son is allowed to stay in bed and read for a bit. Unless, of course, they must be up for a weekend sport, where we stick to 7pm upstairs for both in bed by 8pm after getting ready and books. Summers are different, and with so many activities and playing outside with neighbors, we cannot get them in early, so 8:30 is our aim....often ends up being 9, but they get tired. They have been sleeping later, though, esp since we now "hide" the main tv remote each night, as our daughter would wake up early to watch tv before anyone else was awake, lol! Basically, if your child can focus in school, isn't melting down, and is healthy, that factors into it, too. Most 5yos have a 7:30-ish bed time, though....

1
11 8

My just turned 5 & 9 yr old are bathed and dinner-ed! by 6.30pm then we have a half hour activity - read or card game or draw or cuddle and up at 7pm to brush teeth and then lights out 7.15pm. 9 yr old reads unitl 7.45pm :)

0
1

If you only have young children, an early bedtime is possible. But with 3 older kids in sports year round, we're often not even home til after 10. And then we have a quick dinner! My 5 year old naps at daycare and doesn't slow down at night til after 11. I remember having an 8pm bedtime when my others were younger, but that is just not going to happen anymore!

0
505 54

6:00 dinner
6:30 bath
7:00 PJs/brush teeth
7:30 story time
8:00 Lights out!

0
82 9

We start the bedtime routine at 7 pm (book, brushing teeth, pjs, etc) so she is in bed by 7:30, asleep usually before 8. My daughter usually passes out shortly after her head hit the pillow, and sleeps hard til about 6:45-7am. Works out great for school nights. Weekends and summer she stays up a bit later.

0
1 19

My 5 1/2 year old goes to bed by 7:30/7:45 and wakes up between 6:30/7, I think most 5 year old need at least 10 1/2 to 11 1/2 hours of sleep every night.

0
7 9

well my 5yr old has a development delay and epilepsy so he goes to bed at 6pm but hes tired to the point of falling asleep by about 5.45 so its tea at 4 bath at 5 meds at 5.30 and snuggle time while he falls asleep he will stay asleep in his own bed till around 11.30pm and then he wants to get in my bed where he'll sleep till i wake him next morning between 7 and 7.30 on a school day but i let him sleep in on hols

0
61 16

My boys, 5 and 3, go to bed between 6.30 and 7.30, and have the occasional late night of 8.00 to 8.30. But the late nights really knock them around, so we limit those.

My 5 year old hates sleeping and is up like clockwork at 6am every morning. We had to buy a clock for his room and make the rule that he wasn't allowed out of bed before 6am, as he used to get up at 4.30am every day, and we were getting way to tired! He would still be up at 6 even if he went to bed at midnight though, but just gets very cranky.

My 3 year old usually gets up around 7, sometimes a little later on weekends, but he's almost always up by 7.30.

We never ever wake either of the boys in the morning, but rather let them sleep till they have had enough.

It's very important to us that the boys go to bed at a reasonable time as my husband and I need time to ourselves as well. We love our boys more than anything, but you still have to make time for your marriage, otherwise it will fail. I can't imagine having my children up until 9 or 10pm every night ... that's MY bedtime!

0
2 6

I think it depends on what you have already established as a routine. What time does the child get up? Does the child nap? etc. My daughter is usually up by 630am/7am and goes to bed at 8pm. When she does need a nap (every couple of days) she must have it between 1-2pm and never longer than 2 hours (at a max).. I have noticed that she needs at least 4-5 hours after napping before bed. Of course that all changes if she is sick..lol

0
1 18

My 5-year-old daughter falls asleep between 19h30 and 20h30. She sleeps right through the night and wakes up herself at 05h30 every day.

0
0 4

Since my Son doesn't go to school we let Him set His bedtime & He generally goes to bed between 9 & 10 pm...sometimes a little later if we are up watching tv in the den...when he was in Daycare we had a strict 8 pm policy & we will start it back up at the beginning of July before he begins Kindergarten this August:)

0
0 1

well I have a 6 yr old , a 4 yr old and most of the time we start bath time at 6:00 or 6:30pm then try to do storys ,everything else before 7:00 then they go to bed as close to 7pm as we can.sometimes my son whice is 6 just plays and talks in his bed then he's asleep by 9 or 9:30pm but my 4 yr old daughter she is pretty easy to get to sleep most of the time

0
0 9

my husband and i both work full time i get up with her between 7&730 and take her to daycare(soon to be preschool) then my husband picks her up from daycare when he gets off work so they don't get home till between 530-6 i try to have dinner ready by 630 but no later than 730 after dinner is bath, brush teeth, potty, story, then goodnight! :) so shes asleep between 830 &9 so she gets 10 hours of sleep. however i know over the summer when i start school in june we're going to be practicing & transitioning into a new schedule/routine for when she starts in aug. hopefully have her asleep between 730&830. but i try very hard to make sure she gets 10hours, she usually wakes up herself like clock work at 10 hours but if its less i'm waking her up

0
0 2

Mine is 4 1/2 but he's been going to sleep around 8 or 8:30pm and sleeping until 7:45 or 8am. Seems like he needs 11-12 hrs sleep. He's very active during the day and doesn't nap.

0
0 20

Im son is now six. He goes the bed around 830 on school nights and on non school nights it is a little later. I dont worry too much about what time he goes to sleep as long as its not too late and he doesnt have trouble getting up for school the next day. For the most part I know we will come up with a sleep schedule that will work for both of us. Best of luck to all you parents as you find your way.

0
0 23

The time should be set so the child gets the amount of sleep needed for their age. School doesn't start till 9am here so my child goes to bed at 8:30pm and wakes at 8am. Of course if your child needs to wake earlier one needs to adjust the bed time.

0
0 73

My 5 yr old daughter has ADHD, even as a baby it was so hard for me to get her to sleep, then stay asleep. Now at least she can fall asleep on her own and in her own bed, but she still usually wake up at some point. I put her to bed around 9:00pm and hope she falls asleep by 9.30 or 10pm. We don't get home till 5:30 or :30pm depending on what we are doing. it so hard to get dinner, homework, play time, and bath time crammed into so few hours. We don't have to get up till 7:30 or 8am. So getting her to bed before 10 is usually my goal. If she goes to bed too early then she wakes up too early and is tired earlier.

0
0 6

My 4 1/2 year old goes to bed at 7.20 every night, even on school holidays it stays the same so she is in a routine!! 6.30pm - 6.30pm till she was 2, then 6.50pm bedtime 2yr-3yr, then 7.20 since then and because I have never changed it except the odd exception she is used to it and happy to go to bed and lucky for me on a weekend she likes a lie in!! Probably a dream child at bed time cause she is a nightmare during the day lol!!

0
0 14

My kids (age 2 and 5) are in bed early, usually by about 6:30 (7 at the latest). I would actually like to have them in bed a bit later but they wake up very early, 5 am for my 5 year old and between 5:30 and 6 for my 2 year old. I have found that putting them to bed later does NOT cause them to sleep in, but just makes them cranky and tired.

0
1 12

My five year old has started full time school this year and she is always in bed before 7,30pm though usually 7pm. She does wake early (5.30 - 6am) but this doesnt change even if we keep her up later. She is usually exhausted by 7pm and I would struggle to keep her up any later. Even last year when she was only doing 2 days per week of school she was coming home absolutely exhausted and was impossible to deal with. I often feed her early and shower her so that if she does fall asleep, at least I know she has had something to eat,. I have had to cut out her one after school activity because she was too tired. I spoke to a child health nurse who said it was ok to just let her set her own routine, ie if she is tired let her sleep, if she wakes up early, accept it. The nurse thought that she was probably tired from concentrating so hard at school all day and trying to remember to do the right thing. AT the moment I am going with it but have put her on an iron supplement in case she is lacking in vitamins,

0
0 4

I have a 5 yr old and a 4 yr old and are as different as night and day. The 5 yr old could sleep 10 hrs or more if I let him and the 4 yr old is like me, a night owl, and is difficult to get to sleep with frequent wake-ups during the night. Neither of them nap and aren't in school yet. I think it depends on first, the individual child and second, how busy each individual child is kept. Both my boys are very active; the 4 yr old plays harder and rougher than the 5 yr old, but the 5 yr old seems to require more sleep. Our bed time at the latest is 9 p.m. We start our bedtime schedule at 7 p.m. with a bath, jammies, etc. At 8 p.m. we will put one of their fav. movies in the dvd player (quiet time) and they know they are supposed to stay in bed. Normally they'll be asleep before the movie is over, but occasionally they aren't. It all depends on your child and your family activities. I don't agree with putting children at 5 yrs old to bed at 6:30 or a 9 yr old to bed by 7, that is way too early, esp. if you have evening functions to attend, family gatherings, etc. I agree that children need sleep but really, how much sleep is too much sleep for a child? JMO

0
1 12

Linda I have had to explain to my family that we cant attend family functions at night during the week. We have tried it a few times and it just doesnt work for our 5 year old or our 8 year old. The resulting meltdowns, that night and the following day are just not worth it. If our kids cant cope with weeknight activities or get togethers our family just has to understand and deal with it and they do.

0 13

My girl goes to bed around 8-8:15, and sleeps until 7 or 8 am. She seems pretty well rested and happy with this routine. On days when she gets less sleep, of course she can be a bit cranky and whiney.

0