What tips can you offer for closet organization?

0 0

A well organised closet makes every day life more efficient and looks great too!

I like to hang as much as the space allows. Hung clothing is easier to keep organised and tends to remain ironed for longer.

Invest in matching hangers - wooden hangers can be picked up from a discount store ad immediately and effortlessly make you closet appear neater. I even buy mini wooden hangers for my son.

Take hanging inspiration from the stores. I group clothing in 3 major groups: tops and jumpers, long hanging such as maxi dresses and shorts and trousers. I then colour code the hanging. I start at one end of my tops with white and end with black and dark colours. and do the same for my other garments. It makes finding pieces much easier!

For folding space insure that all items are all folded in the same manner and have the rolled edge of the fold facing forward.

For smaller items try storage boxes or draws that can be easily pulled out or moved, this will limit the mess you create searching for items as you can always pull the whole box out and sit it on your bed to search.

If your cupboards have swinging doors don't forget the inside of the doors. This is a great place to hang belts, hats, ties, jewellery and little peoples shoes etc

Keep shoes in their boxes and take a little picture of each pair to stick on the front. Another (more pricy) option is clear shoe boxes. Boxes are great because the protect shoes from scuffing each other, keep pairs together and ensure the bottom of the closet looks neat.

Try to only have current seasons clothing in your closet. I use space/ vacuum bags in summer to store jackets, coats, excess jeans etc. this means that your closet does not become over stocked and you can see what is actually there to wear.

2
0 0

I use baskets and bins to contain those little shoes, hats and mittens. For the kid's closets I installed a second bar below the top one so I can hang more items. For my closet I put a wood rack from Ikea to hold jeans and folded sweaters. And of course, I constantly go through the closets to get rid of as much as I can.

1
0 0

Throw out anything you haven't worn in the last year. (Or donate it.) This is hard, and I and someone who tends to have an easier time letting go than others I know. No only will it free up space but it frees you mentally. Every time you interact, even by just looking at, an item that doesn't fit, is the wrong color, is worn out or just was a bad choice you feel negative feelings. When these things are gone, your trips to the closet are happier, no matter how organized it is.

1
8 2

Thank you for noting the coorelation between happy feelings and organization. And in this case, outta sight, outta mind. Another rule I've kept for a few years related to other items besides clothes in a closet (especially when it comes to gifts my son gets), if I can't remember where or whom it came from, I don't keep it. It must not have meant enough to me to remember.

0 0

If you haven't worn it in six months, donate it. (I'm not saying I have the willpower to actually do this, but it's the rule I am currently TRYING to implement.)

1
0 42

Invest in a closet organizer. The shelves and cubbies available with an organizer are a great help to getting organized. The single shelf and rod that come standard with a closet do nothing to keep you organized.

Keep shoes in their boxes as much as possible. Take a picture of the shoe, print it out, and stick it on the side of the box that faces out so you can easily identify what's inside.

Group articles of clothing together, and then by color (e.g. blouses, then all red, black, white, etc.) This helps you find pieces much easier, especially if you already have an idea of what color you want to wear or need a certain color to go with something else.

Group handbags/purses by type. Keep all your clutches together, and group all like sized pieces together. When you're looking for a particular type of purse, it will help to go directly to that section instead of tossing things around looking for a tote.

1
0 0

I'm big on letting go of things you don't need or wear. It frees up space and makes things so much easier.

Kacie
A Collection of Passions

1
1

Hoarding management:

Hoarding syndrome is a serious public health hazard. It may pose risk of fire, falls, infestation, and bacterial growth. Hoarding can reduce activities of daily living, adherence to treatment, and quality of life. Hoarding involves cleaning a building or residence that a reasonable person would find uninhabitable and the subsequent removal of trash and debris from a hoarding site. Homes inhabited by hoarders can be dangerous, unhealthy, or both.

Bio Cleanse Pty Ltd, offers one-on-one personal assistance to organise and sift through items, removing unwanted items and saving others.

http://bio-cleanse.com.au

0
0 0

I like to organize by season. So the least likely to be used clothing goes towards the back. And I clean out and/or rotate about 4 times per year.

0
0 0

I find that I can most easily find what I'm looking for when my closet is grouped by type of piece, i.e. dresses, pants, blouses...When I helped my best friend style a few post-baby looks recently, it really helped that her closet was properly organized!

0
0 0

First go through and sort out what is in the closet vs what actually needs to be there. Edit, edit, edit. Of what's left, sort like with like. Then decide if you need any storage containers (baskets, bins, etc). If you've got something lying around the house that will work, great! If not, it's time to go shopping (for containers, not more clothes!). Once you've done that, everything should have a place which means you'll be able to clean up the closet in just a few minutes. :)

0
4 279

To get more space to organize your closet, buy those expandable shower rods for an added row to hang clothes. I also love those see-through hanging shoe organizers - put it on the inside of the closet door to store small items like scarfs, sock, or even jewelry.

http://dagmarbleasdale.com/2011/12/my-dream-home-10-cool-and-creative-storage-ideas/

http://dagmarbleasdale.com/2009/05/tips-on-how-to-maximize-space/

0
0 0

Closet organization is the bane of my existence. We have an older house and closets were apparently not in fashion then. The best advice is to only buy what you need in the first place. After that, make sure you utilize the space you might have for things that aren't used daily.

0
0 4

I divide my closet into two - Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer. All my tops and tanks are hung, then collared shirts, then cardigans, then skirts, dresses. I have all my jeans folded in piles and then my sweaters, cardigans and workout clothes in separate drawers. My shoes also are also divided into seasons and then into genres - flats, sneakers, wedges, pumps and boots. My purses are in one container and in a separate box I have all the clothes that I'm not wearing or considering giving away at my next clothes swap party (I have 2-4 a year). Downstairs my coats and jackets are also divided according to season. I could colour co-ordinate my closet but fear that maybe too anal of me...

0
0 0

Closet organization is like the fitness plan - you have to make one, stick to it and improvise as you go! When I organize /clean my closet I always ask these questions -
1. Will I be able to access/see my clothes, shoes and accessories? Because if I am not, I will not use it and my clothes will be just sitting there hogging the space - unusable!
2. Will I be able to find something quickly, when I am running short on time and need something - If I have a method (like things coordinated by colors, or types or size) I will be able to find it quicker.
3. Is there enough space in my closet? If I am buying new things, I need to make sure that the new stuff-
a) should go well with my existing pieces, or
b) if not, then it should justify its presence - a unique piece, unusual design or a coveted brand is the only thing I'll buy if it can't be mixed or matched with my closet.
c) Is there anything I can remove from my closet before I put the new ones in so that my closet doesn't get crowded.

Now for actual organization - the same trial and tested method of "Keep" "Donate" "Trash" is been told by almost every closet organizer. Other then these, there are few more factors to keep in mind -
1. The hangers should all be same style and size. They look neater.
2. The walls in the closet sometimes get wasted. Instead of one big shelf, multilevel shelves are a good use of space.
3. The jeans and sweaters should be folded.
4. There should be a designated area for handbags, Wooden pegs are a good investment to hang them on the wall.
5. Over the door shoe organizer (in clear plastic style to clearly see the shoes) is good to save space .
6. The seasonal audit your closet- what you are not using, what you will not need anymore, and what you actually need to buy - will keep the closet from looking messy.
For more closet cleaning tips, see the attached links!
Happy Spring everybody!
-Jyoti from Style-Delights

0
0 0

In order to keep my closet organized, I utilize hanging shelves (mostly for shoes), the bar and shelves. I also organize my clothes by tops, dresses, skirts and bottoms. And then I sub-organize my shirts by sleeve length (no sleeve, short, 3/4 and long). I try to have one place for every type of clothing; i.e. one spot for t-shirts, one spot for tanks, one spot for sweaters, etc. This helps me to be able to find things when I'm in a rush.

0
0 0

I absolutely LOVE the thin felt/velour/velvet hangers for your closet space. They literally double your hanging space. I highly recommend them.

Laura

0
5 0

If you do not use it. Or have not used it in the past 6 months. Sell it! use the money to get out of debt or give to a great cause.

0
0 141

We are a large family living in a small city townhouse. Six children, two adults in a 1920's home with only 4 teeny tiny closets and one not quite as teeny is a tough fit. I am a STICKLER for closet organization. I want to be able to see and easily access everything in my closet.

We just recently re-organized our bedroom closet. The biggest closet in the house, it in narrow and long, stretching the length of the bedroom. We started by taking off the horrible folding doors, opening up the closet so that we could access the clothes that weren't really fitting behind the doors anyway. Then we organized all the clothing by types, and purchased a few small cabinets to store loose items in. We also used cloth boxes on the single top shelf to sort socks, folded clothing, and out of season clothing. We used large plastic bins to store our linens and towels (the house lacks a linen closet, so the master bedroom has to function as both) and lined all the shoes up in pairs and on a shoe rack. Finally, most IMPORTANTLY, I label, label, labeled EVERYTHING. All the boxes have neat labels so that you know exactly what goes where. I am amazed to say that my fiance, as great as he is has a tenancy to be a bit of a mess. So far, this system has really worked WELL.

0
3 2

Purge. Purge. Purge.

The best way to start organizing your closets is to get rid of things that you don't wear or use. Why bother trying to fit and organize those things if you know you don't need them?

After purging, get rid of things that belong. Since my kids are still young, there stuff is everywhere. I move that out of the way along with any trash (broken hangars, cleaner bags, etc.).

Finally, everything needs a place--a rack for shoes, basket for purses, tie hanger for belts and ties. Once you have a place for everything, put everything in its place (good luck with keeping it there!).

0
0 0

Oh this is my favorite topic!
My best advice is to follow these steps:
Clean- Clean out the space
Smart- Define a purpose for the closet
Simple- Refill the closet but streamline and simplify the contents
Style- Add some personal and stylish touches that you love.
That's the reader's digest version anyway- for more details and to see a few spaces, pop over to my blog. It's one of my favorite things to blog about!
http://cleansmartsimple.blogspot.com/2012/01/4-steps-to-closet-that-you-love.html

0
0 0

Plastic boxes are your friends. Label, sort, and stack to avoid clutter, piles, and just not being able to find things. Hmm, I guess I should follow my own advice too :)

0
0 31

If you have a large or walk-in closet it's best to organize it into zones by season or garment type (i.e. work, casual, formal). Next arrange the clothing into sections for each category (i.e. blouses, dresses, pants, etc.). Then arrange the clothes in each section by color from left to right (i.e. black, blue, brown, red, orange, yellow, ivory and white). This makes it much easier to find outfits and is more pleasing to the eye.

0
0 0

When it comes to closet organiziation, I have to be very creative because we have small closets, and too much clothes!

For ease of access in and out of the closets, I make everything as easy to see and find as possible. I group all of my husband's clothes on one side, and all of my clothes on the other. I also put "like" clothing items together like t-shirts, dress shirts, etc..

For any non-clothing items, I find that some sort of shelving unit helps in organizing your small items or shoes. I usually buy plastic shelving units and use totes to store all of the winter clothes or not needed items at the moment.

Try and also maximize the space you are working with. We hang a shoe organizer on the back of the closet door to not only organize shoes, but smaller items like makeup, etc.

0
0 2

A Few Tips That Go Deep In Your Closet Organizing Effort:
• Avoid organizing inside the closet! Get everything out first.
• Divide all stuff into groups: Use Now, Special Use, Never Will Use --> Donate
• Clean and Freshen up inside the closet with natural herbal solutions: They disinfect and add a nice aroma to the inside
• Use folders, boxes, hangers to neatly organize your possessions
• Keep it a nice and happy place to peek into, ie, your closet! Avoid cluttering it again. ;0)

0
0 0

Divide and conquer - get hanging compartments and dividers etc :)

0
0 0

I love to organize. Closets are hard in a old house like mine, they are not walk in or large by any means. So here is what I do:
1. Get a closet rod extender(you hang it on your single closet rod and it makes a 2 levels.
2. Use a shoe organizer on the back of the door for Hats, Gloves, bows, socks, or anything you need. get a cheap clear one so you can see what is in there.(I use it in the hall closet for dog leashes, flashlights, gloves and much more.)
3. Use skinny hangers, they are great.
4. Use door knob hangers as size hangers on the rod. Just jazz them up with your own style. Great for Baby's rooms.
5. Hooks are a awesome!! I use hooks inside the closet for Belts and ties.
6. If you love to up cycle, use a old towel rack with S Hooks for necklaces inside the closet.

0
0 0

For me to be organized I need some motivation. About ten years ago I began to keep my clothing sorted by color rather than by item. All of the sudden organizing was not only fun but it keep me entertained to keep it organized. I sort it by the colors of the rainbow starting with red and ending with purple. I typically keep browns, blacks, and whites all together on one side or the other.

0
0 0

We also offer occasional organizing for some of our Mableton Maid Service customers. The best advice we can give is in agreement with Morgan Shanahan above. If you don't wear it, donate it!